Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Berwick game

Poor performance from The Fife today. Lucky to come away with a point even after playing against 10 men for the whole of the second half. Fash and Kevin were ineffective and caught offside too many times through not watching Berwick back line and tactics employed in the past few games are not working, ie. long punts from back four up to Fash or Kevin missing out the midfield completely, and easily mopped up by the home centre backs. The other thing that annoys me is when the opposition wins a corner the whole Fife team except Fash saturate the box and put unnecessary pressure on themselves by inviting the whole opposing team into their half. These tactics Gary must change and football must be played from the back through the midfield, at least some of the time, and another criticism I have is Ryan's kicking. A basic requirement for a goalkeeper is to kick the ball upfield to an east fife player and keep it in the field of play, he kicked it out of play at least three times and continuously sclaffs clearances by lying back when he kicks the ball. What is the goalkeeping coach teaching him? On a good note I thought new boy Kieron put in a good performance and looks a decent signing and Pagey kept cool by keeping big Henderson in his pocket, as he was creating a big nuisance.

Re: Berwick game

Berwick had 60% possesion according to the BBC. It reduced down from 73% in the first half😕

Nathan Austin and Kevin Smith are ineffectual more often than effectual. I have repeatedly said that Fash is not the bees knees centre forward that many people think. In this league we need a bustling, bruising, tall centre forward to combat the hammer throwing centre halfs that most teams in this league have.

Kevin Smith is a good player but continually overdoes things and ends up losing the ball. I agree that we resort to the long ball too often, maybe time for midfielders to stand up and be counted. Fash does win a lot of high balls but nobody up there with him to pick up second balls.

Hope it is resorted soon and we move on to playing good football and comfortably winning games. We have done it before so it is not a new thing to us.

Who Am I
In this league we need a bustling, bruising, tall centre forward to combat the hammer throwing centre halfs that most teams in this league have.

Keep your eyes & ears open, there may be developments in this field

Robert Jones?

Joe Hughes maybe!

Joe Hughes was a one man forward line. Remember him scoring against Motherwell for a 1~0 away win. Actually think the defender tried to clear the ball and whacked it against Joe's leg

Hey legend were you playing that day ?????

Joe scored many goals for The Fife, and I'm sure I played in most of them. I've written an article for this week's Match programme where Joe get's a mention. I also wrote an article for the Game at home against Motherwell in the League Cup? a few weeks ago. I think the game you are alluding to would be the one I mentioned in the programme. You obviously don't subscribe to the afore mentioned item, so come and have a chat in the lounge prior to the match this week, and all will be revealed. It will only cost a wee bottle of red.

Slip on shoes, due a fiver and BK vouchers come to mind.