Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Turning a decent player into a bad one

Hard to believe this is the same team that got of to a blinding start and matched a premier league side for the best part of 90 minutes.
At the beginning of the season, many of the players were new to the club and playing well.
Now that they have settled in, is it coincidence their game has deteriorated and the whole team has regressed back to playing poor football on par with the dross that was served up last season?
Is Gary Naysmith guilty of signing a decent player and turning him into a bad one?

Personally i think Naysmiths tactics are poor and his game plan is non existent. Defence defence defence yet we still give away cheap goals and to be honest, from a fans point of view its pretty soul destroying stuff watching that.
We sit 2nd from top of a pretty average pile with very little seperating the sides.
I feel we 'll finish well outwith the top 3 this season despite the great start.

So, another season and same old same old from East Fife football club. Fifes wee team look as though they are about to do it again. Pretty sad and depressing stuff.

Re: Turning a decent player into a bad one

Think that's maybe a bit harsh. We've got the best defensive record in the league which always gives you a chance to win a league. I think Naysmith's learning all the time and the fact that we drift between good football and dross is probably more down to the fact that we're a part time team in the bottom league in Scotland and the players, in general, don't have the ability to put in good performances week in week out.

Aye, you are probably right Doug.
Just depressed after watching that yesterday and really no further forward than last season or the one before.

If success this season is going to be based on a strong defence then part of that plan must be to expect and be prepared for many games which will turn into dog-fights.
We had an undeserved win against Clyde after being out-muscled for most of the game. We were completely dominated in the second half by a Stirling Albion team which had been terrible in the first half and had looked down and out yet went away with a point through a determination which we couldn't match either through brawn or brain.
Against Berwick we survived a sticky first half,came out in the second half a man up and rather than take a grip of the game we were dominated for 35 mins and we're lucky to come away with an undeserved draw. Berwick could do nothing other than come out fighting yet that seemed to take us by surprise.

I really believe we have a team to win this league but we need to go out and play each game like we know we can win it. Let's be the team that outplays or outfights the opposition. If we don't win this league Iet it be because we weren't good enough rather than because we didn't believe we could win it.

Fair points. Still doesn't fill me full of confidence that Naysmith knows what he's doing with these guys. Thought Austin, Smith and Wilkie in particular looked hungry for success at start of season but they are now starting to look tired (fed up) already.
Still a long way to go but for the life of me i can't understand how we can go from playing so well to so badly in such a short space of time.