Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Striker needed

http://talkscottish.football/2015/10/east-fife-remain-keen-on-jones/ Gary remains interested in Robert Jones. He played against cowdenbeath and showed some decent touches but looked shy in front of goal, big lad but slower than a week in jail. Seen on pie and Bovril that Gary mentioned at the q&a that he is interested in bringing in a striker whonis currently injured, anyone know who?

Re: Striker needed

Great news that Jason Kerr is extending his loan stay until May 2016 , hope that includes the play offs????????????

I,ve been on holiday for a week in Marmaris and become friendly with Peter Watson, centre half of Annan Athletic. Peter got injured against Queens Park last week and took a last minute holiday to Turkey. Among other matters we discussed, Peter informed me that Gary Naysmith is very keen to take their injured striker Kenny Mackay on loan for the rest of the season. He has already been up to Methil and seen the set up. Kenny was supporters "player of the year" last season and has been injured for a lengthy period. Kenny will now struggle to regain his regular place at Annan as the whole team are playing well this season and Peter suggested they have a bunch of talented forwards, including Rabin Omar, Smart Osadolor and off course Peter Weatherson who are all on fire just now. Peter is of the opinion that if Kenny gets back to full fitness, he could do a job for East Fife. He is incredibly fast and tricky to play against. Peter and I had a chat about tactics in this league and I was very impressed about what he said about Jim Chapman. As you know, Jim has been around this league for a considerable period and has obviously learned there is only one way out and that is to grind a result out every game and ware down the opposition until they break down. Annan have a plan A, B and C subject to the team they are playing and how the game develops. Annan play tentatively and tight for the first half, perhaps he suggests even for 60 minutes of a game.and when the opposition get frustrated or heads drop, Annan up their game and hit extremely hard on the break. It is a bit worrying that while we were struggling to draw with Stirling yesterday, Annan were thumping Berwick 4-1 (without their regular centre half). East Fife will simply have to up their game next Saturday or they will be seriously get taken apart second half.

Get back to the passing game we played well pre-season East Fife and keep the ball on the ground.

Does it occur to anyone hat in the above post Annan have 3 strikers that are "on fire at the moment" and we have one out and out striker who blows hot and cold. What chance have we got ?????

Who Am I
Does it occur to anyone hat in the above post Annan have 3 strikers that are "on fire at the moment" and we have one out and out striker who blows hot and cold. What chance have we got ?????

A good chance actually. We have the best defence in the league though I have to say it has grim stalemate written all over it. On the other hand Fash is due a goal or two and I reckon we'll knuckle down and get a 1-0 win.

What if then if Fash gets a double booking or straight red (has happened before), or gets an ihjury. Not unknown is it. But do like your optimism.

Who Am I
What if then if Fash gets a double booking or straight red (has happened before), or gets an ihjury. Not unknown is it. But do like your optimism.

Well that will be the reason the managers trying to bring in another striker then!! Jeez!

So far our run has seen three draws and one win in fife cup against most reserve/under 20s side and we still can bring in loan signings like we have with Kerr and McGovern but another striker is needed i feel, Craig Sutherland was brought in this summer and was hardly had a look in whenever he did play i felt he look confused out there out of sorts weather he was out of position as naysmith used him on the wing or upfront and was never seen in games we also had Campbell that was again un-effective signing and hardly going get first team place ahead of Smith and fash's form at the start, where they been brilliant i still think we need someone who can come off the bench in attack and change the game if fash gets tired or sent off or smith gets injured.
We had people on here mention Band or McManus i think they would be decent back-up's and i know people would think returning to the club again for shagger would be a bad ideal, a step backwards but with his age now and he is currently injured at the moment McManus would use coming off the bench in a bid for fitness remember we had Riordan here at the end of last season and wasn't on fire but we gave the lad the chance to turn his carrier around and we had four strikers plus the Sociedad dude and Dickson we eventually made the play-offs after a difficult first half of the season.
I know we aren't in the same boat as last season where we had a poor start and we are second three points behind Annan, I just feel our goals have dried up of late i don't know if its me but i just think we lack that option for attacker to come on in games and give us something different, someone to add goals, go for goal striker and create chances and hold up the ball type of player i remember shagger use to run for anything when he was fit and his goals won this league for us.
I just think we have a lack of options once fash and smith from the bench upfront to change games weather we go in the loan market and bring in under 20 player in. Few weeks ago i noticed dunfermline hardly use ryan wallace maybe we could bring him in a few months i doubt it disrupt the pars as they have Moffat, Antoine-Curier, Paton and El-Balktouli in that department. Also i fear MacGregor or Murray if they cant get game time they will be next and we be short of numbers, naysmith moaned at the first half of last season players were injured and were short of numbers leading up to the petrofac cup tie at home to rangers but our goals upfront or scoring have dried up and we dont have attaker from the bench to change things and offer a option unless put on a midfielder in that position.

Ryan Wallace who scored twice on Saturday and got MOTM I doubt that's going to happen.

Hey Fat Doug,

Yes the managers looking to bring in a striker but is that likely to happen before The January window, not if it is the player mentioned from Annan in the post above.

There are a lot of games to be played before the transfer window. If it is somebody who is not linked to a club now, how long till he is match fit and how will he get fit playing back up to the present strikers.

All I am saying is another striker is imperative ASAP in case of unforeseen circumstances.

I'm sure we could get someone out on-loan before transfer window comes avaliable if players mention not fit by then we could use one of the loans and bring someone like Lewis White or Daniel Stoney at under 20s level for rangers who was out at stranraer last season on-loan or someone to cover three months or so left before then to give us options for the forthcoming matches that would be perfect time to use the loans for a striker we only have McGovern and Kerr and every club gets five to use and for us we are short of numbers it would make sense to strength that department we need and struggling for attackers by then those fit can sign and become avaliabe to agree to sign for east fife.