Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Today's Final Score

We lost 0-1, Annan had a player red carded around the 40 min. mark.

Re: Today's Final Score

So frustrating not to score in 2nd half, we battered them but suppose they defended well :-(

Gary Naysmith should leave or be sacked.

Fucking hopeless.

The boys put in the effort today, can't fault that, just lacked the finishing touch, still forget that now & concentrate on Tuesday's replay!!

Mr Angry
Gary Naysmith should leave or be sacked.

Fucking hopeless.

Here he goes again, calm doon Angry chap

Used to think mr angry was out of order with his comments but as each week goes by I am warming to him.

In 4 games recently we have failed to get the better of teams with 10 men. We have had one home game so far this season where we blew the opposition (Berwick) off the park.

I had a look back at previous games on EFTV, it is incredible to see how many chances especially one on ones that we have squandered recently and have turned out to be costly points wise. We have got to beware of sliding down this league into oblivion. I still think we need a bustling, strong striker who as well as scoring goals, can hold off the clogging defenders which most teams in this division seem to heve.

Let's hope we can turn things around starting with Stirling Albion and having a good cup run as well as a league run.

Defo agree re needing another big striker, it's the only area we're short on!!

His time is definately up. He's had more than enough time to prove his worth and is failing. The man just doesn't have what it takes to be a manager.
He got us relegated and can' get us out of this awful league.

Just another fucking awful appointment by this awful board.

Masterclass in defending by Annan yesterday; that and god-awful finishing by East Fife. Felt that if we got one goal, then that would've opened up the game and we would end up comfortable winners.

2nd half saw us return to playing passing football and we pounded them for the entire half. Lost a goal cheaply I thought but woeful finishing was our downfall once more. Agree we're desperately short of options up front.
Thought Mercer was immense yet again and McDonald left midfield looks quality.
Costly defeat as could and should have been sitting proudly on top of the league right now.

Yes Jeff but MacDonald started at left back and Naysmith in midfield. What the hell was that about? Big difference when they swapped roles.

A game we should have won easily was basically thrown away through a piece of sloppy defending and rushed and panicky finishing by ourselves with players getting in each others way in the box. Annan may be sitting pretty at the top of the league but they are not very good actually so there is still all to play for.

We created 12 clear chances in the last 30 minutes and umpteen more nefore that.

Before calling for the manager's head think for a moment about how these chances were missed.

In almost all cases it was because the player concerned rushed the chance. It's a wee bit ironic that along with many others in recent games I've been screaming for players to "take a shot now" rather than try to be too intricate.

What's happening I think is that the players are now in a sense trying too hard to score too quickly. We know for example, that Fash can score in a 1-1 situation but over the last couple of games he hasn't. That doesn't mean he's now become a poor player - though the idiot who was calling for him to be subbed yesterday clearly thinks so.

If a team is creating chances - and we are doing so - the failure to score comes down to individual human error (or good defending/goalkeeping). Changing the manager won't solve that.

Blair Public
Yes Jeff but MacDonald started at left back and Naysmith in midfield. What the hell was that about? Big difference when they swapped roles.

A game we should have won easily was basically thrown away through a piece of sloppy defending and rushed and panicky finishing by ourselves with players getting in each others way in the box. Annan may be sitting pretty at the top of the league but they are not very good actually so there is still all to play for.

I've been saying this for weeks we are a decent side when Naysmith is out the team specially when we were playing a form side like Annan Athletic we play alot better as a group and also we need a forward, who is alot better than Ross Campbell/Craig Sutherland can hold the ball, get into the game and score goals. Yeah bringing in Leyden for a month will help the wide position with macdonald on the other side in left midfield with brown and wilkie in the middle. But we need get back to basics and go to stirling, put on the performace for the travelling fans and have a decent cup run aswell as in the league turn things around.
Drawning four games and losing yesterday has been our downfall and reason why Annan are top as they are, we should be putting ten men teams to sleep and finish more accurately when we have one on one's with the opposition keeper. lets get back to basics and start tuesday cup night with a win and turn this form around to that form we started the season off.

Ps who was the trialist that came on was it Kenny MacKay their former player or Robert Jones? how was this person fair on the day to win a contract?

It was Robert Jones. He also got a run in the latter stages of the Cowdenbeath Fife Cup game.

Not sure if this is the type of centre forward we should be looking at. Doesn't seem to have much experience for this rough and tumble league.

I've been saying this for weeks we are a decent side when Naysmith is out the team specially when we were playing a form side like Annan Athletic we play alot better as a group and also we need a forward, who is alot better than Ross Campbell/Craig Sutherland can hold the ball, get into the game and score goals. [/quote]

Which game(s) were we better without Gary playing? Even in his advancing years he is head and shoulders above every left sided defender playing at this level.

Agree that he is the best left sided defender in the league but still can`t understand why he played left midfield on Saturday?

Mr Angry
His time is definately up. He's had more than enough time to prove his worth and is failing. The man just doesn't have what it takes to be a manager.
He got us relegated and can' get us out of this awful league.

Just another fucking awful appointment by this awful board.

If EF were top of the league after Saturdays performance would you be saying this. Gary took us to the play off's last year and I firmly believe he will take us up this year.

IMO if you have nothing positive to say then just shut up, nothing but shite being said by you

Fifer

I've been saying this for weeks we are a decent side when Naysmith is out the team specially when we were playing a form side like Annan Athletic we play alot better as a group and also we need a forward, who is alot better than Ross Campbell/Craig Sutherland can hold the ball, get into the game and score goals.

Which game(s) were we better without Gary playing? Even in his advancing years he is head and shoulders above every left sided defender playing at this level. [/quote]

at the start of the season against bigger and better opposition ie falkirk, dumbarton, motherwell normal time than annan are and even against ayr in league one when we lost heavy at home we're still the better side if he sacked himself to being a manager instead. Gary may have experience from playing International and down south even if everyone saying he has head and shoulders above everyone in this league as the best left back i think Mercer is whole lot better at that position i see by a mile. though it's my view take on how we are set up tactically and as a club. It was even bizzare frightening to see him out of position and start left midfield than at his natrual position left back at the start of this game on saturday there, only thing would be that he was hoping to get a goal from his mistake last season by getting sent off and giving away a penalty against this mob in advance position where he could find himself in the box to score but we all drew blanks in finding the net as a team.

The reason I think Gary moved himself to left mid was he feels he is now struggling a little in pace and it showed in the last time against Annan down there, where the right winger took him to the cleaners a few times. It could also be that he is not 100% fit after recent injuries. Having said that, I would still rather see Gary play, as his on field presence and captaincy definitely helps the team.

Agree there mate

Bruce I don't agree with he's no good sorry but that's what I think

Arbroath away next let's booby line is out thank god