Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Todays game

So it has finally came round..East stirling at bayview all I can say is hopefully the "Ultras" learned the lesson after the previous game....Hope for the 3 points today aswel and good game of football

Monthefife

Re: Todays game

Today's team looks very good on paper, I feel a goal-fest coming on.

Latest 2-1 down, we had an early lead through Wilkie and two shire headers from Gilmour and McKenna has turned the game.

JS

Could be right but we won't be getting many of them. Now excuse me just off to call a cab for Naysmith

Insall equalized then minutes after sees straight red following a challenge on shire's Reece Donaldson. 2-2 latest

JS

Hope you put money on that???

We won 5-3-

Make that 5-3 Fife 9vs10, lots of goals and three sending offs what a game! our first win in donks what a way

5-3 ft austin 94 mins

Quote: JS

Hope you put money on that???

No I didn't because I had same feeling at Arbroath last week and in the end we just scraped a point.
Anyway great result today - maybe it will start us off on a wee run? (But no money going on that either!

Cannae believe what a game I have just seen but well done to East Fife for battling through to win.

Was a bit mystified to see how EF lined up. A back 3 with no right back? E Stirling made the best of that. All credit to the manager for trying a more attackng formation but don't think 3 at the back worked. Mercer has been our star man most of this season but was left midfield?

Thought E Stirling threw themselves to the deck too much, the number 3 went down after a late tackle from Insall, thought he had a bad injury until he limped for 3 metres then ran off.

Would like to think that this might be a turning point in the season and particularly for Fash with his 2 goals. Pity about Insall, cos he looked lively and could have helped Fash but only here for a month and will be suspended now for part of it.

Bottom line, a welcome 3 points but still have to up the game for teams up beside us starting with Elgin next week.

Good Saturday afternoon entertainment (mostly in the second half); eight goals, three red cards, dogs' abuse for tbeir number seven and a win😊

Also Fash's confidence coming back☺

I was beginning to think I was a jinx on the team but glad I came along today. Had we got hit the net rather than the post at 1-0 we would probably have cruised to a win. It gave them a lift with the inevitable outcome, but credit to our goalie. Had it not been for him we could have come in 4 or 5 down at half-time, instead we were very much in the mix. I thought Insall looked the part, but his challenge was reckless in the extreme and totally unnecessary. He'll be pissed off with himself so no point in going on about it. Fash stumbled around for the most part but did was he is best at, puting the ball in the net. He never gave up, and I really admire him for that. I've said it before and I'll say it again "Gary should be the first name on his team sheet very week." Best man on the park by a country mile. As for betting on the team I had a fiver accumulator on five teams to win. Falkirk, Dinfermline, Ayr, Annan and guess who? Mon The Fife!!

Have to agree with Mr McQuade, Gary should be the first name on the team sheet every week, followed very closely by Pat Slattery. When Pat plays we have an energy about us. Todays team looked like it had been set up to accommodate Jamie Insall, going forward it was working, but certainly lost the stability, that the defence has shown for most of the previous games. Thought Fash showed great calmness in slotting his goals away today, looked like someone had just had a word in his ear to say, hang back that few seconds, to see what the keeper is going to do, before pulling the trigger, as both his goals were passed into the net instead of being hit with his usual energy. Also thought that Craig Murray put in a great shift, switching well with Kyle Wilkie. IMO Mercer has to play at rightback, as he shows everything he has there, though he was a wee quieter today, but still played well. I do like Jason Kerr, he has really matured since the start of the season and him and Page have a real understanding in the centre. On the whole, it was a win which has been coming over the last few matches and really showed guts, to go in front, when East Stirling had the man advantage. I just wish some fans would realise that we are a 2nd Division team and lay off some of the players, they moan when things are going against us, but are happy when things are going for us, turn the moaning down a wee bit and give wee bit more encouragement. That is all

Canonbaw Billy
Have to agree with Mr McQuade, Gary should be the first name on the team sheet every week, followed very closely by Pat Slattery. When Pat plays we have an energy about us. Todays team looked like it had been set up to accommodate Jamie Insall, going forward it was working, but certainly lost the stability, that the defence has shown for most of the previous games. Thought Fash showed great calmness in slotting his goals away today, looked like someone had just had a word in his ear to say, hang back that few seconds, to see what the keeper is going to do, before pulling the trigger, as both his goals were passed into the net instead of being hit with his usual energy. Also thought that Craig Murray put in a great shift, switching well with Kyle Wilkie. IMO Mercer has to play at rightback, as he shows everything he has there, though he was a wee quieter today, but still played well. I do like Jason Kerr, he has really matured since the start of the season and him and Page have a real understanding in the centre. On the whole, it was a win which has been coming over the last few matches and really showed guts, to go in front, when East Stirling had the man advantage. I just wish some fans would realise that we are a 2nd Division team and lay off some of the players, they moan when things are going against us, but are happy when things are going for us, turn the moaning down a wee bit and give wee bit more encouragement. That is all

Well said neebs. Sometimes when your luck is down the Bayview faithful - that 400 or so that show up week in week out pull you through. Enjoy your tonight lads

Was very impressed with shire's number 3 - Nathan Shepard.

Agreed mate, their No 3 ran the show for Shire yesterday. He was fast through the middle, took every corner and dead ball situation and generally caused havoc for East Fife every time he was on the ball. Hope Naismith has pencilled his name in for his next year's team. I note he is also on the second division highest goal scorers table, so he is a very useful player.

Still thought East Fife really applied themselves yesterday, especially second half. Great game to watch and the supporters helped the team all the way to the end. That's what we want, more endeavour like this, every week.

That's one of the best games I've seen at bayview in my 16 years of existence, what a game! Great for fash to get his confidence back and score another two which I think makes him too goal scorer along with Gary Fraser of Montrose. Glad that Jamie insall also grabbed a goal as the boy has goals in him. The passion him and the players showed when thy scored was quality, but why do the players hardly Come over and celebrate with fans? Was impressed with Patrick slattery yesterday, the effort the boy puts in every week comes unnoticed. Puts 100% in every time he plays no matter where he plays. The shire put up a good fight for us but we had the fight and the commitment to see the game out. Was impressed with shires number 3, possibly a player Gary has noted for next season along with smart from Annan. Good to get the much needed 3 points, now on to Elgin, get your seat booked on the bus

I agree, we need more of this stuff from East Fife. Repeats of yesterday's performance will bring the fans flooding back to New Bayview. Incidentally and surprisingly, Craig Gunn of Elgin City is top scorer in our league at present, however most of his goals are from set pieces and penalties so Fash will catch up there on yesterday's form. You mention Naismith possibly looking at Smart Osadolor from Annan. Personally the man you would want from Annan is Rabin Omar. He is a very fast midfielder/forward in the same mould as East Stirlingshire's No 3. He is the man who has really shone in every game for Annan this season . Smart ain't half bad either though, but no chance of him playing at Bayview, he is based in Carlisle. Anyway he's too much like Fash.

yousaybioh
I agree, we need more of this stuff from East Fife. Repeats of yesterday's performance will bring the fans flooding back to New Bayview. Incidentally and surprisingly, Craig Gunn of Elgin City is top scorer in our league at present, however most of his goals are from set pieces and penalties so Fash will catch up there on yesterday's form. You mention Naismith possibly looking at Smart Osadolor from Annan. Personally the man you would want from Annan is Rabin Omar. He is a very fast midfielder/forward in the same mould as East Stirlingshire's No 3. He is the man who has really shone in every game for Annan this season . Smart ain't half bad either though, but no chance of him playing at Bayview, he is based in Carlisle. Anyway he's too much like Fash.
oops, I didn't mean to say naysmith has noted down smart as a possible target, that's me saying that if I was manager I would note him down. My bad, just poor wording! Yeah Rabin is a great player, he was improved largely. Another player that I like at Annan is Matthew Flynn

I tend to avoid comments on players who have the number 3 on their back, as I may be accused of being bias, one way or another. However if I was to pick a player out from the East STirling team it would have been Nathan Shepherd, their number 3. Great pace, defended well, got forward at every opportunity, and has a great shot in him. But for a fantastic save by our goalie he would have hit the back of the net " alla Billy McPhee", and I can't pay him a bigger compliment than that. Mr McGarr also picked him out as the outstanding player for the opposition. Maybe a natural successor to Gary?

As for Annan players, I'm sure they would bring something to the table as you guys have seen them much more than me. However as someone else has already pointed out, travelling to play in Fife could be an issue. I remember when I left The Fife for Dumbarton I was the only player from the East, and travelled back and forward to training and match days on my own. A nightmare, and it showed in my performances for them. Scout locally and you might just be surprised with what's already on you doorstep. Fash springs to mind and he's done o.k. so far.

Elgin away will be a hard game I be happy with a draw as they have not lost a game there yet so a draw would be good as long as we get in the play offs I be happy

After last week's game it must be onwards and upwards for the Fife. If Craig Gunn can be kept in check and we avoid penalties and set pieces (again Gunn is the risk with these) we have a great chance of a win, if we play to our strengths. Let's face it, Fash has returned to scoring mode and as I recollect last year he scored 3 or 4 at Elgin.

On the back of Saturdays game I wouldn't be trekking to Elgin to settle for a draw, same fight, passion and 3points nothing less please😊

Here Here.
I won't make it unfortunately but.
Mon the Fife.
2-1 to East Fife I reckon.
😀

Elgin 1 east Fife 1 I say Craig gun and page

I wolud take a draw right now Elgin have not lost a game and they did beat Annan who are doing really good draw is fair better than a lose