Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Fecking Awful

Times up.

Truly fucking awful tonight.

Re: Fecking Awful

Players were completely outclassed by Queen's Park. We looked like a pub team.

Gary Naysmith should go and go NOW! There is absolutely no defence for him now. He has had long enough and we haven't progressed and the standard of football is driving the fans away.

Stopped going weeks ago.

Won't be back after tonight. Taking time off work to travel to watch that garbage. Team is going nowhere under Gary Naysmith. A bunch of players more than capable of promotion but a management team out of their depth.

Serious questions need to be asked now. Yeah, he is a likeable guy and its great having someone with his playing experience at our club,but the reality is we arent making any progress. Does anyone think we can win the league? I very much doubt it. I think we will finish mid-table at best to be honest. Pretty dire stuff.

It was really, really bad tonight. Possibly worse than at anytime last season. Clueless when on the ball, slow and cumbersome looking when defending.

I wish I could see a way out of the slump but no. We have had only one very good performance at home against Berwick but the rest has been dire.

Haven't been as down about the football in a while but I am afraid tonight as just too much.

That was awful tonight. If we didn't know before tonight that one up front, trying to keep a clean sheet and nick a goal does not work. We certainly know after another game that can only be described as painful to watch.

It would be interesting to hear Gary's views on his team shape / tactics / style of play, as it would appear he is devoid of any of the afore mentioned. That's unless you count knocking the ball about, slowly, then give it a big punt up the field!!

It would appear we have no option B or C, just plain old A and if that doesn't work we will go with, yup you guessed it option A!!!

An example of how amateurish we are can be seen at half time. QP went through a rigorous warm up, EF on the other hand just kick the ball about with no input from the coaching staff. It gets better though, 30 seconds, yes 30 seconds, before QP came out for the second half the EF goalkeeping coach came out with the sub goalie to warm him up. You couldn't make it up, amateurs and clueless!!

Note to Gary, next game be brave. What's the worst that can happen, we get beat. Well your tactics are achieving that anyway so go on be brave, please.

Go now Gary please. We have had enough, this is a league we should be doing much much better in. As it is we are more in danger of the relegation play offs than the promotion ones. Another depressing write off of a season to go with all the others we have suffered over the years.

One win in 9 games tells you all you need to know. The board must be watching that the same as the fans. One striker with no link up play brutal to watch. Time has to be running out for the management team many a board would be saying thanks for your work but its not working out.

talked to quite a few fans after the game and all were of the same opinion that Gary should resign or be sacked. I doubt the board will have the courage to sack him though but they are watching the same shit as us most weeks and one win in nine games is a terrible record.
I defy anyone to come on here and defend the manager. His time is up and surely he knows that himself .

Agree give a other manger a chance now is time Is well up now

I question the fitness of our players.

I thought we were well off the pace with a line up that was no where near our best starting eleven. I'm not convinced this is all down to the manager. The small squad provides us with limited options, especially in midfield. This combined with injuries and a general lack of match fitness means that Naysmith was always going to struggle to field a team that was capable of winning this game.

Fifer
I thought we were well off the pace with a line up that was no where near our best starting eleven. I'm not convinced this is all down to the manager. The small squad provides us with limited options, especially in midfield. This combined with injuries and a general lack of match fitness means that Naysmith was always going to struggle to field a team that was capable of winning this game.

You're defending the indefensible, those are just excuses. He still has plenty of quality in that squad and those players should have been good enough to see off the likes of Queens Park. One win in nine and we're sinking to the wrong end of the table.

Naysmith needs to go now so we can try and salvage something of this season while there is still time.

Fifer

Oh c`mon Fifer! Nobody can defend last night! We were playing a team that had to change their starting line up at the last minute due to injury and a team who had played a tough Scottish Cup tie only days before.

We were short of 3 players (Brown, Insall and Slattery) with possibly only Insall and Slattery starting? Gary Naysmith chose to have a small squad and he must be deluded if he thought he would go through the season without injuries or suspension.

We have now won 1 game out of the last 9 with no progress since Gary Naysmith took over.

Gary was and is a fine player who I admire. His honesty when interviewed is refreshing, but now he should be honest with himself as a Manager, and accept that he has failed.

BB

Oh c`mon Fifer! Nobody can defend last night! We were playing a team that had to change their starting line up at the last minute due to injury and a team who had played a tough Scottish Cup tie only days before.

We were short of 3 players (Brown, Insall and Slattery) with possibly only Insall and Slattery starting? Gary Naysmith chose to have a small squad and he must be deluded if he thought he would go through the season without injuries or suspension.

We have now won 1 game out of the last 9 with no progress since Gary Naysmith took over.

Gary was and is a fine player who I admire. His honesty when interviewed is refreshing, but now he should be honest with himself as a Manager, and accept that he has failed.

^^^^ Agree 100%

No more excuses; I cant stomach this seasons current standard of football... i am not expecting wonders on the budget we operate off but come on enough is enough.. i sacrifice week on week with the hardcore and get nothing in return on a regular basis. Saturday is huge and a must win. If not my motivation is exhausted for this season under this regime. Sorry to say that but its reality. I am sure there are many others that feel like me. Gary and the boys, come on, time to stand up and be counted and deliver a solid winning performance.

As aforementioned, the lack of warm up for the boys at half time is embarrassing. Most teams have a coach out there leading some form of drill, whilst Fife just see how many keep ups they can do. Even sub could lead someone form of drill surely? Absolute pub team behaviour. Naysmith gets till end of the month for me and if it's much the same we need someone new in Jan.

Suggestions on possible replacements?

Danny lennons available

Benitez
As aforementioned, the lack of warm up for the boys at half time is embarrassing. Most teams have a coach out there leading some form of drill, whilst Fife just see how many keep ups they can do. Even sub could lead someone form of drill surely? Absolute pub team behaviour. Naysmith gets till end of the month for me and if it's much the same we need someone new in Jan.

Suggestions on possible replacements?

I wouldn't even give him that long as he has had long enough to prove himself.
The players that performed so well at the start of the season have now been adapted to suit Gary Naysmith`s tactics and style of play.
Every opposing Manager has sussed out our tactics as we are so one dimentional.

Hopefully a new Manager will be in place and add some players to bolster the thread bare squad that Naysmith has chosen. The season can still be a success but only if change is made and made now.

Gary is an easy target. He is just the latest ambitious young manager who has tried his luck at the wrong club. Stop attacking the manager guys. The problem is the people in charge. We will be hiring and firing managers until kingdom come unless the owners are removed and the club at last belongs to someone or someones who care about it and want it to be successful. The current directors are supporters but their service only prolongs and protects the influence of an owner who probably didn't know we were playing last night.

A decent win last night could have taken the side to second place and three points off the top.
Yes, I realise that's could have/ would have/ should have stuff and we lost but we're not a million miles away.
Last night was a bad night at the office and apart from the opening 10-15 minutes we were well off it.
The 2 week break hasn't helped and neither has the small squad.
Running with a small squad and using your budget to bring in quality over quantity is great - but we're desperate for more options.

No that's not true it's definitely manger to blame he picks the team that's why rovers and Dumbarton never gave him the job cos he is not good enough we are paying good money and us fans are not getting what we should be

Forget about owners and directors and politics of the club, the question that whoever is running this once proud club should be asking is, can you possibly expect the paying public to contribute to such anti football tactics as we have had to watch for 2 years. I know many good East Fife fans who gave up with the current management a while back . 345 at Bayview last night at least 300 will wish they had never bothered. It was clear from 20 minutes in that we were getting pushed further back, with only one striker to take care of Queens just pushed their back line right up and played the game in our half. How we got in level at half time was a miracle. Now after watching that you would see where it was going wrong, we make a change in my opinion the wrong one, and the same pattern continues. Walker and Mullen not at the races, Kyle Wilkie having to come so deep to get the ball. Queens Park did what we were doing earlier in the season they pressed high up the park and never gave us time, all we did was give possession away every time we got the ball. A bad call to play 3 players in the starting 11 who haven't played for months. I think the board should be at least saying to Gary one win in nine games is not acceptable, and give him an agreed time to turn it round and if the same poor results continue then there can only be one possible outcome.

You can forget about ownership and politic, of course you can, if you accept that the club will not make any real progress never mind who is the manager. That's the way it has been and the way it will be.

We should never forget or ignore the current off the field situation and the sooner this is resolved the better.
What it shouldn`t do however, is detract from the on the field shambles we are witnessing at present.
This management team of Naysmith and Anderson are costing the club money as fans are not prepared to pay good money to watch this style of football, week in week out. That is fact and it`s a situation that the Directors have to address now to save our season. The bad performance are outweighing the good performances and it`s jus like a carbon copy of last season.

Probably the worst standard of a lower league for a while and we are still outside of a play off place with no signs of anything improving.

A Trialist
A decent win last night could have taken the side to second place and three points off the top.
Yes, I realise that's could have/ would have/ should have stuff and we lost but we're not a million miles away.
Last night was a bad night at the office and apart from the opening 10-15 minutes we were well off it.
The 2 week break hasn't helped and neither has the small squad.
Running with a small squad and using your budget to bring in quality over quantity is great - but we're desperate for more options.

1 win in 9 suggests quite a few bad days at the office. We don't have time to fanny about Naysmith needs to go now

Manager with no ideas outside 'plan A'. He keeps picking a team with so many players out of position. Why oh why can he not see how poor a player Mullen is? Cannot pass a ball over 5 yards and then it's usually backwards! Managers tactics dreadfull last night. At home against an average team and we play 1 up front. When he does eventually change things he brings on a really good centre half as some kind of attacking midfielder! Unbelievable. Worst performance for 2 years and all down to the Manager. Sling yer hook Gary,you aren't good enough.

"4-2-3-1 in the first half to be a wee bit more defensive".......Gary Naysmith after last nights game on EFTV.

Incredible!!

Show the man some respect, please. There is not much Gary hasn't seen or done in football. He knows the game. He is trying his best to put all that knowledge and experience to good use. It is not working just now but earlier this season we were sitting pretty and fans were starting to crow about it. He was also interviewed for two jobs bigger than this one. Remember Jim Stevenson forced him to sign a contract, only five months ago?
Gary needed a wise old head alongside him but he chose the wrong person. I feel a change there would be a good move for Gary. As well as someone for Gary to seek advice from, that person would know what to do right now.
If people think Gary's time is up then they are entitled to their opinion but please leave the man with some dignity. He has been a gentleman since the day he arrived.

another fifer
Show the man some respect, please. There is not much Gary hasn't seen or done in football. He knows the game. He is trying his best to put all that knowledge and experience to good use. It is not working just now but earlier this season we were sitting pretty and fans were starting to crow about it. He was also interviewed for two jobs bigger than this one. Remember Jim Stevenson forced him to sign a contract, only five months ago?
Gary needed a wise old head alongside him but he chose the wrong person. I feel a change there would be a good move for Gary. As well as someone for Gary to seek advice from, that person would know what to do right now.
If people think Gary's time is up then they are entitled to their opinion but please leave the man with some dignity. He has been a gentleman since the day he arrived.

Absolute pish.
Why get yet another babysitter when we should be looking to appoint someone who is his own man and understands the game?
Naysmith has failed miserably. End of.
Nice guy maybe but a dreadful manager.

The message is pretty clear on this thread.. the vast majority not happy and so they should be. Massive game on Saturday; its make or break. Deliver another woeful 1 man up front, hoof the ball tactics, all men behind for corners then its a long hard think as to whether or not i return this season. I suspect a lot of others will feel this way too. I dont mind losing with a +ve mentality by way of tactics and effort but the opposite is another ball game. Only Gary and the players can turn this around.. yes you can call out the issues behind the scene but this is not a factor here, its blindingly obvious where the issues lie!

PS as normal i will put £20 ... both teams to score Fife to win..

How anyone can defend the manager is beyond me. It`s his team and his tactics and the fact that people are now staying away in there hundreds says it all. There is no doubt we have went backwards under Gary and results have not been good enough and the football has been dreadful at times. Sadly we have a board who will fail to recognise this and owners who probably don't even know what league we`re in. I`ve not been in ages and don`t miss it in the slightest. Get an experienced manager in and get the team playing attacking entertaining football and the stay away fans may be tempted back. Must win game on Sat for Gary that's for sure. 2.0 Clyde

I semi agree with what is being said, but watching the side on Tuesday in depth and also what was being said on the touchline.

Wilkie coming back to the defenders to get the ball is not the way to progress up the park, Wilkie is better just off the front and driving from there. This was confusing Mullen who also tries to the do the same. It looked like we were a man short because the 2 guys were lost. Then a watched in disbelieve at Walker shouting at Wilkie to drop back at a corner when he was the only player up front, Gary was shouting to Wilkie to stay up but Walker wanted him back to defend. That's not Gary's fault if the players are not listening to what he wants then to do, that needs sorted out.

Total nonsense tactics, the team had no natural leader on the park on Tuesday, Walker was carrying 10lbs at least too much weight and just barked orders at others whilst not reflecting on what he should be doing. Kevin was 2 yards of the pace and did not have a great game, Fash was isolated and started to get frustrated (Hence Yellow Card)

2 things I thought were OK, the defence looked good for the first 30 mins, they were winning the first and second balls and I was confident that if we pushed forward we would score and perhaps win the game. The second thing was Fash's younger brother, looks like he and Fash could have a great relationship up front as a 2 pronged attack going wide and then someone like Wilkie being ready or Kevin when the balls come into the box.

To leave on this point

We are not far away from being the best side In the league, what we need to do is get a settled 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 formation and leave out Walker, he is only confusing matters

Gary has until then end of this month to get things in gear, I am sure he can do this but if we play like how we did on Tuesday for the next 2 games I fear we could be near the bottom of the league into the new year.

A number of points made on this thread are really valid points and I'd like to make a few more

Gary has a huge amount of experience within the game but is still cutting his teeth in management. I think he sometimes forgets that he is working with part time players who are playing at this level for a reason. From what I've heard the video analysis of opponents before games prepared by Dougie Anderson are first class and better than a lot of bigger clubs. Gary obviously uses these to decide on his formation and tactics for games. However, by continually changing his line up (sometimes enforced) and formation and tactics, he is confusing players whose roles are changing from week to week and they only have two training sessions at most to work on it and players to understand and adapt. I feel Gary worries too much about what teams will do to us rather than playing to our strengths and letting the opposition worry about us. Let's get a system the players are comfortable with and run with it with the odd tweak here and there are required.
In terms of Dougie Anderson, he seems to be great at the organisation behind the scenes but I'm sorry but he is not someone who should be managing the team from the side, especially if Gary is playing. Listening to the shouts or lack of them from the dugout week after week is worrying. Fans were calling for Gus MacPherson and earlier in the season, Jim Chapman to shut up, but I'd much rather have them on our bench organising, motivating and directing our players. Shouts of C'mon whilst clapping hands vigorously does not consistitute Coaching in my book. Let's be honest what experience of the senior game does Dougie have that will influence Gary and stand up to him if he is making mistakes ? An experienced man alongside him to guide him is required.
A lack of a plan B has been obvious numerous times when things are not going our way. Queens Park needed no guidance from the bench when they went one up on Tuesday - they went straight to 5 at the back. That shows organisation of how to deal with changing situations. We do not have that.
I could go on but things need to change quickly or it may be too late to get back in the mix at the top.

Bayviewboy
A number of points made on this thread are really valid points and I'd like to make a few more

Gary has a huge amount of experience within the game but is still cutting his teeth in management. I think he sometimes forgets that he is working with part time players who are playing at this level for a reason. From what I've heard the video analysis of opponents before games prepared by Dougie Anderson are first class and better than a lot of bigger clubs. Gary obviously uses these to decide on his formation and tactics for games. However, by continually changing his line up (sometimes enforced) and formation and tactics, he is confusing players whose roles are changing from week to week and they only have two training sessions at most to work on it and players to understand and adapt. I feel Gary worries too much about what teams will do to us rather than playing to our strengths and letting the opposition worry about us. Let's get a system the players are comfortable with and run with it with the odd tweak here and there are required.
In terms of Dougie Anderson, he seems to be great at the organisation behind the scenes but I'm sorry but he is not someone who should be managing the team from the side, especially if Gary is playing. Listening to the shouts or lack of them from the dugout week after week is worrying. Fans were calling for Gus MacPherson and earlier in the season, Jim Chapman to shut up, but I'd much rather have them on our bench organising, motivating and directing our players. Shouts of C'mon whilst clapping hands vigorously does not consistitute Coaching in my book. Let's be honest what experience of the senior game does Dougie have that will influence Gary and stand up to him if he is making mistakes ? An experienced man alongside him to guide him is required.
A lack of a plan B has been obvious numerous times when things are not going our way. Queens Park needed no guidance from the bench when they went one up on Tuesday - they went straight to 5 at the back. That shows organisation of how to deal with changing situations. We do not have that.
I could go on but things need to change quickly or it may be too late to get back in the mix at the top.

What He said!

Far too much shouting at players and little/no coaching.

I think Walker and Mullen have had enough opportunities by now. They provide next to no physical presence ( Mullen runs about `almost ` putting tackles in but never quite getting there- Walker gets no where near his opposing player)
How many times has Mullen tried the` World Cup` pass only to find the opposition or the other side of the touchline- this stops the team building momentum by giving the ball back too often. If he hasn't been told to stop it he should be- if he has and keeps doing it he needs dropping.

As for Walker contradicting the Managers decisions that's what you get when a player walks out because he`s dropped (last season) and he`s back in the team in a couple of weeks- wonder if he respects anyone never mind the Gaffer?

You can only judge on what you see and I do not know how thoroughly the team prepare but the fact is that subs hardly ever warm up -too often they have to be told to get warmed up when a player goes down- even pub league players know to get warmed up as soon as a teammate is injured.

Couple of weeks ago 1 player was told to warm up and he walked to the corner flag, when a teammate was getting treatment! If we were winning every week - or even playing well most weeks, these things might not matter- but were not and most teams are more energetic , organised and subs prepare more thoroughly at half time and during match.

I would like to see us going with a back 3 , Mercer and McDonald wide with Brown, Slattery and Smith across midfield and Wilkie up alongside Fash. As Bayview boy says - stick with that formation (if injuries allow) and give the players games to gel rather than changing formations and players each week.

Sad to say I am fast losing enthusiasm for attending matches ( I used to travel to and from England on match days even under Murray!) Now Im only 15 mins away and not sure I will renew my season ticket if things don't change. Not expecting to win every week but Gary ( or a new manager) needs to give fans a half decent reason for going to matches- at the moment I cant see it on the park.

I have been saying this for weeks after Anderson was promoted that was wrong as Hegarty left the club we need someone of hegarty ability in that job when things go badly wrong as it currently is....someone who knows how to shout and motivate players, lead from sidelines give out instructions to the whole field than let poor Gary who has to do two jobs at left back on get out messages to nearby team-mates and tactics during the games as well as midweek sessions at training which i get is in anderson ability as he was perviously a community coach before hand okshort term but experience crucial at a club like ours, i hardly see this when Gary is on the park, we are exposed from the dugout and we lack a leader like Chapman and MacPherson management. Not long ago Colin Cameron end at berwick came to an end and we've seen the last player-manager and we seen the start why its not working out for us and having a small squad as it is with injuries and supensions and were not including darren dodds at brechin there almost look certs to be in this league next season. Clyde game on saturday will tell us its been long enough that we've gave them and new manager would have the window to get in his players in or add to whats been left before the summer and right management both on training field and in games at the moment if its anyone my pick would be Jefferies or Lennon and their management style but good luck board to make their decision and at the moment pray we beat clyde and stirling that would save naysmith's teeth and my team following further down this pack of teams.

Whats up with McGovern not given a start in goals think he has one game since been on-loan from united? not confident? the same reason why MacGregor was farmed out and Leyden was on the bench up it Elgin must be wondered what they achieved in by going out on-loan i know Goodfellow done very well at the start but we are in a rot.

Naysmith still here then?

5-0 to Clyde tomorrow.

Wont be back.

unknown username
I have been saying this for weeks after Anderson was promoted that was wrong as Hegarty left the club we need someone of hegarty ability in that job when things go badly wrong as it currently is....someone who knows how to shout and motivate players, lead from sidelines give out instructions to the whole field than let poor Gary who has to do two jobs at left back on get out messages to nearby team-mates and tactics during the games as well as midweek sessions at training which i get is in anderson ability as he was perviously a community coach before hand okshort term but experience crucial at a club like ours, i hardly see this when Gary is on the park, we are exposed from the dugout and we lack a leader like Chapman and MacPherson management. Not long ago Colin Cameron end at berwick came to an end and we've seen the last player-manager and we seen the start why its not working out for us and having a small squad as it is with injuries and supensions and were not including darren dodds at brechin there almost look certs to be in this league next season. Clyde game on saturday will tell us its been long enough that we've gave them and new manager would have the window to get in his players in or add to whats been left before the summer and right management both on training field and in games at the moment if its anyone my pick would be Jefferies or Lennon and their management style but good luck board to make their decision and at the moment pray we beat clyde and stirling that would save naysmith's teeth and my team following further down this pack of teams.

Whats up with McGovern not given a start in goals think he has one game since been on-loan from united? not confident? the same reason why MacGregor was farmed out and Leyden was on the bench up it Elgin must be wondered what they achieved in by going out on-loan i know Goodfellow done very well at the start but we are in a rot.

"I have been saying this for weeks" - That's weird, haven't seen your username before?? Have you been saying it to your mates then? Anyway, if you are going to post again, make it readable next time please? The above is an absolutely atrocious use of the English language.