Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1 win in 10.

I think there is every possibility that Gary Naysmith, will go on to bigger things than East Fife, and be successful, but the bottom line is it is not working out at Bayview. There are similarities with Stevie Crawford, experienced pro, nice guy, well respected, happened to be there when the job became available, so was given the role. Crawford realised that he couldn't do the job at that time, but is now flying high at Tynecastle.
When you consider the players that East Fife have had over the time (Naysmith, Buchanan, Hughes, Smith, Campbell, Page, Julen, Riordan, Fash, Dickson, Wilkie e.g.) it is not a bunch of kids or rookies, and every other team in the league would envy these options.
It is a fickle business football management, Barry Ferguson was being hunted by Clyde fans after their Scottish Cup defeat at Formantane a few weeks back, now he is being quoted for the St Mirren job.

Mr Angry

We need an experienced coach.
No more rookies.

Ever!

Club is a shambles and wont be long before the attendance hits the 300 mark.
Folk simply wont pay to watch incompetent dross on the pitch and in the dugout.

does this mean no more player/manager roles given? or the next person free and happy to stand watch the actual manager do more. all three should be fired given the new manager his managerial structure of success at bayview like Dick Campbell had at forfar and brechin and what he needs to add to the squad left under this lot running the team.

I can also think the rot of no wins in 10 suggest things have came to an end with this lot in management of east fife and we are heading in wrong direction. Even our sub keeper on-loaned stayed in Dundee today.

Naysmith has had more than enough time to show that he can get away from negative tactics. He cant, he is struck by the disease of deconstructive football.In the basement league a manager who doesnt see every game with 3 points as a priority shouldnt be in charge. Its like playing survival tactics in the lowest league so what future is there? I see a pattern where a run of positive results with positive tactics is immediately followed by a resumption of the tactics the manager has been coditioned to as a player. The unlikely event of promotion would only justify non-football even more. I can now say that without any doubt at all. The disease is now proven to be untreatable. No, ive not been to see the team for years. There is no slightly guilty feeling for not doing so anymore.

What's the plan though people? Who do we bring in if Naysmith leaves? I wonder why Raith had Naysmith in their final 2 candidates in spite of his very poor record with us? He obviously impressed them to have them even consider him for the job. I'm not pro Naysmith, not by a long stretch but we've had crappy managers for the majority of the time I've been going to Bayview (25 years) and I don't know if their are that many out there.
Look at Ian Murray. Did a phenomenal job at Dumbarton and everyone was raving about him. Went to St Mirren, was shocking and had now been fired. There's no exact formula to this. We could easily bring some dinosaur of Scottish Football managers and end up going down.

Arbroath are another good example. Doing very well under Alan Moore and then struggle for 15 games, fans get restless and the club sack him. The new man comes in and they're now pretty much bottom and in danger of going out the league completely. The same Alan Moore that a lot of fans said they wanted here before Naysmith.

As I say I'm not pro Naysmith and I wouldn't be upset if he leaves but it's too easy to just yell sack.

I won't be happy till he's sack
He's had enough time with us going no wear this season

another fifer
Gary doesn't stand a chance with this sort of abuse. The famous Bayview boo boys hound another good man out the door just like Dave Baikie and Billy Brown.
It will not be until he is gone that some of you realise we had a real winner on our hands and we were not smart enough to realise it. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Brilliant! Obviously on the wind up. Must be a Rovers fan. Nice try pal.

Dick Campbell sacked yesterday from Forfar despite getting them twice into the Championship Play-off -something we can only dream of.
Colin Cameron was sacked at Berwick a few weeks ago and he had managerial achievements to his name such as taking Cowdenbeath to the Championship.
When you look around you have to say Naysmith is on borrowed time. The only thing on his managerial CV is a relegation.
Yeah, he talks a good game and he played at a high level, but that doesnt count for much where we are. Dougie Anderson says the only way out out of the poor form we are in just now is to train harder. Such a cliche. Why arent the players training harder just now?
I desperately wanted Naysmith to succeed because he is a very likeable chap, but I dont see any progress at all and you have to come to a point where you say that it isnt working.
Another defeat on Saturday and I think that will be it. It will be a bit of a story too if Naysmith's last match is a defeat to Paul Hegarty who of course was his assistant when he started out.

This is the first year in many that I haven't bought a season ticket. Not because I felt disillusioned by recent years but I knew I would only be at a few games this season.
So, I have to admit that this post comes from second hand information, but is it not the case that in recent weeks the team is basically picking itself due to injuries, etc?
I hear from someone I trust that Gary doesn't feel he's fit enough to play because of chronic knee problems but the Directors have been pressurising him to play.
If these points are accurate I thinks it's extremely unfair to be putting most of the blame on the club's current form predominantly onto the manager!
There are clubs in this league that have far healthier finances than we have thanks mainly to the exploits of Mr Murray, and although I'm convinced the present Board have the club's welfare at heart, we have to be realistic and accept that we obviously have extremely limited resources at present and get behind the manager and club who most of you must realise are committing themselves to the cause!

We are 6 point's from bottom of the lowest league in the SFL , back to the brown days .We need to change something ? FFS

December was always going to be a crucial month and a month that could define our season. Gary Naysmith and the players surely knew that. I certainly did!

The players we have are certainly good enough and it`s not about budget as we have one of the best squads in the league as confirmed last week in the press by Scott Mercer, who has been one of our stand outs this season.

Now we are 2 games in and it`s played 2, lost 2 with not one goal scored. I wont mention the games prior to that as I had hoped we would have a successful December, given the importance of it and a winning start would breed confidence and get the team back on track, with Gary Naysmith still in charge. That hasn't happened and anything other than a win should end Gary Naysmiths managerial reign at Bayview. The Board have to be ready to act but I very much doubt they will.