Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Dick Campbell

With dick campbell being available after his sacking at forfar do u think thw board will act and bring in the experienced manager we all need and crave at the club to take ua forward.

Campbell is scotlands equivalent to big sam

Re: Dick Campbell

Davie
With dick campbell being available after his sacking at forfar do u think thw board will act and bring in the experienced manager we all need and crave at the club to take ua forward.

Campbell is scotlands equivalent to big sam

Yes. At present we have Dick Turpin masquerading as a manager and robbing the fans.
Nothing to lose Imho.

I think its a no brainer. He knows everything you need to know at this level. Stays in Fife too so I am sure he would take on the task.

He wanted the job last time and I would have him now while there is still time to save our season.

It wont happen though.

Not going to happen. Would do a very job here in my opinion.

I think he would be an excellent appointment. Dick knows the lower leagues inside out and has bags of experience. Got a feeling our board will stand by Gary regardless though......

Not for me to be honest.
I can understand the clamour for him but I'd much rather we continued to try to work with up and coming new managers rather than go for guys like Campbell.

A Trialist
Not for me to be honest.
I can understand the clamour for him but I'd much rather we continued to try to work with up and coming new managers rather than go for guys like Campbell.
You having a giggle?

A Trialist
Not for me to be honest.

Any idea what up and coming new Managers are available?

A Trialist
Not for me to be honest.

Our track record of success with up and coming new managers is not good over the past 15 years or so. Shannon, Kirk, Crawford, Brown, Durie and now Naysmith were all new managers and did not have what it takes. I can only think of Jim Moffat who did anything. The only other successes we have had in this period has been with Dave Baikie and John Robertson both of whom had plenty of managerial experience when they got they got the job.

Give age and know-how a chance I say!

One things for sure....it can`t be much worse than what we have at present.

I see Jose Mourinho is available perhaps we should go for him

The club does not have any money, why change a manager when he will have nothing to work with apart from the same players.

Gary needs to turn this around, I think he can and Dick Campbell is not the answer.....

Agree bring in dick Campbell can't see us going no where with gray if we keep
Him
Just get much wrose sadly

Why has nobody stated the obvious???

What Gary needs is help, why shouldn't a Dick Campbell type not be brought in to be co-manager or even a Director of Football type role!!!

A year ago, what everybody was saying, was that Gary should be allowed to build his own squad and be judged on that and not on the one which he had inherited, the guy has now built his own squad and to his credit, it is regarded as one of the best, if not THE best in the division, how many times have we seen on here the quote "this team should be at the top of the League with the player's we've got", or words to that effect, praise has come from opposition fans and managers as well!!!

So Gary has got that part right, he obviously knows a player, but where I think he struggles is that he is still a Player himself, possibly the best in the division, and he can't manage from the field, his Coaches from what I have seen don't appear to be to capable when he is absent from the dugout, there is a difference between being a "Trainer" and a "Coach", now Dougie and Alex are by all accounts excellent on the Training pitch, but I have yet to see any evidence of their Coaching abilities from the Dugout when Gary is stripped!!!

I think a man like Dick Campbell backing Gary up from the sidelines would be the Win-Win solution for everybody, we would have the experienced older head in the dugout that we all know we need and crave after and we would have the abilities of the 46 times capped former International on the field, passing on his vast playing experience to others and gaining valuable managerial experience himself!!!

We need to stop swapping our managers around every couple of years and bite the bullet on this one, we either get an experienced man like Campbell in and give him a minimum Five Year Contract and let him get on with it or we stick with Gary but help him out with experience!!!

I said a few months ago on this Forum that evetybody, including myself, harks back to the Davie Clarke years and how wonderful that was, but remember Davie was in the job for NINE years and it was only in the final four of those when things began to happen, people tend to forget that the first five years consisted of some pretty grim stuff and there was numerous calls for his head in that time, but luckily they were ignored and we got the "Glory Years" of 83-87 as our reward and very nearly a Premier League Team to support!!!

So I repeat what I see as the choices available, we cut our losses and get rid of Gary (and possibly our best player) and bring in what would be our FOURTEENTH Manager in the last TWENTY years, or we encourage Gary to accept the fact that he needs help and assistance, encourage the Board to bring that help in, whether it's Campbell or someone else, (even Clarkie FFS) and move on from this November/December rut that we are in and which was also predicted by many on this Forum

Tomorrow is a must win game if we lose Gary must go for sure I said he should have gone when steeny beat us in the playoffs

Totally agree with King Kebab 100%...

Once you impose someone on a manager it is the writing on the wall for that Manager.

That could be said to be true, perhaps if Gary was asked he could come up with somebod he could/can work with!!!

Jim Jeffries maybe???

But the fact remains, that he obviously needs help!!!

With this inept board they would probably bring back Gavin Murray!!! The manager has had time and we don't seem to be improving... I would say thanks Gary but its not working and bring in a trusted and experience manager Dick Campbell.

Good God! You would think we were talking about some rookie 22 year old manager here. What we have is a vastly experienced player who has played at the highest level but is failing to manage a team at lowest league in Scottish football. He should go now given his record and the length of time he had had here. End of.

Heard it all now Dick Campbell. Oh my god AFTN you need to get rid of this thread before the NHS mobilise a task force of mental health doctors to attend our games

BT
Heard it all now Dick Campbell. Oh my god AFTN you need to get rid of this thread before the NHS mobilise a task force of mental health doctors to attend our games

Is that yay or a nay then?

we would all love dick to be the next manager of East Fife Football club but did he not leave forfar due to health condition rather than slipping down the league, i think he is ready to retire and our current manager should stand down aswell only one win in eleven is shocking we were second two months ago and had two excellent performances at home all season nothing since.
We all know player-manager and first timers don't do much at East Fife hence reason why we ever had two best managers appointed in Baikie and Robertson. I am sure naysmith will go on to better things and move on to be the next crawford type assistant elsewhere and do well, east fife is a learning curve in coaching we gave him the chance and two years is enough for any fan supporting the club as were going back to what we were in last season maybe not bottom but we are heading that way if we don't start pulling in wins.

I passed Dick Campbell going in the main entrance yesterday as I was going out prior to yesterday's game. Anybody wanting to put 2 and 2 together and get 5 ??????

Or maybe it was at the invitation of the board in the event that we might have lost the game.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!