Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bygone Levenmouth

Tinsoldier
A bloody hell old Del has passed away?

Stotted in there many a time after a few beers in the Steppy.

Now no Steppy and no Del's.

White dog shite!!!

Brian L

The lines were part of the WPR connecting the Rosie, Wellesley,Lochhead,Muiredge, Pirnie,Cameron,Wellsgreen and Earlseat pits.The Pirnie was where B.H.S and the Council Parks Depot is now.

What about the original Bawbee Bridge.Far better to look at than the present one.

Dave Marshall and Brian L -
I co-wrote (with the Fife Railway Preservation Society) a wee book on the Methil Branch Line about fifteen years ago that contains a sketch-map in the centrefold of the railway lines around the Methil & Wemyss area. Also contains sketch plans that I did of the stations from Methil up to Thornton and some good photos.
See me on Saturday or email me if you'd like a look at it.

The animal centres at Lethem Glen and Silverburn.

Remember there was a Highland Coo at Letham Glen in the field at the top and weren't there boar in an enclosure at one time accross from the deer?

Just to be the 200th post.The Sally Army coming round the pubs on a Saturday night with their mag.

A decient night life down the street on a Sat night.I can remember the days when you would go down there and not be afraid of getting the shit kicked out of you at cloasing time by a lot of little Herberts

Windsor Charles
A decient night life down the street on a Sat night.I can remember the days when you would go down there and not be afraid of getting the shit kicked out of you at cloasing time by a lot of little Herberts

I thought peter pan aka coco and his bbc crew had stopped drinking in this country and were frequently in europe on cheap flights with there brand of ahem drunk fun

Any one remember the ironmongers at methil brae johnny visochis i think it was called.And did Intersport have 2 shops 1 at muriedge and 1 at sandwell street im sure shug greer was manager at 1 time.

I remember the 2 hovercraft down Buckhynd. Must've been the early 70's. Hundreds of kids all clamouring to get inside. The braes used to be epi-centre of the universe back then. Men poking with cleets for crabs in the rocks when the tide was out. Kids bricking jellyfish and sometimes octupus trapped in the tide pools. Kids all used to have fires down the beach too and chucked asbestos slates and aerosols into the flames. Mind of a dead whale washed up on the beach too along at Wemyss. Seemed to be there for months but probably just a memory trick like summers that were never ending sunshine for weeks on end.

The Sporting Post..RIP.

The East Fife Mail in broadsheet

Mostly Methil stuff I remember from the 70's.

Ernie McGarr working in the pools office on Wellesley Road.

Co-op opposite Bayview Park.

Thomsons grocer shop near the pools office, Wellesley Road. ( had a cat with either 3 legs or 1 eye....cant remember which! )

Stuarts the Baker opposite Methil Bowling Club with wee booths for sitting in.

Donaldsons(?) Electrical shop on Wellesley Road near Bayview which sold records.

Visocchis shop Wellesley Road near Barrie st.

AB&B Fruit yard opposite Kirkland High school.

Anderson potato merchant, ( Tawtie Tams ) Wellesley Road and a petrol station across the road.

Gordon Allan (?) Butchers near dock gates.

Pennywise near foot of Methil Brae

Pik & Save near old dock gates

Fisher Joiners at end of McDonald st.

Barrons electrical shop foot of Fisher st.

Old Methil Police office on Fisher st.

Sailors Rest club, lower Methil.

Bakers on Fisher st next to Beatties newsagent.

A shark swimmin in Methil docks watched by East Fife players before we got knocked out the Spring Cup by Clydebank in 1976!

Athols Chippie on west high street, mmmmmm lashings of vinegar and chippie sauce on a fish supper. ..........

what about papa gallo best ice cream van ever

There was Ogilvie's and Allan's ship repairers in Lower Methil near the entrance to the docks.
The Men's Boarding House in lower Methil
Also the Methil Coop had a butchers and grocery store in Leven High Street, opposite Simpson's the butcher.
The bookie shop in Forth Street near the Baptist church hall.

I see into the future but will look back once,The Wonder Store

Big Rab, was the men's boarding house in lower Methil called Cairngreig Mansions?

It was commonly known as the " MODEL " you could reach it from Aberhill by coming down the steps to it
Also it was not to far from Cooper's the junk man's yard, which was also in Lower Methil
Sorry i have been gone too long to remember the street names I just know where it used to be.
An old guy who I worked with on the pit head at the Wellesley, he used to live at the " Model "

The street at the bottom of the steps is called Toboggan Road.

In unrelated matters, there was a toboggonist's shop in Leven High Street next to MacVities Guest. King Kebab knows all about it.

Always knew it as Murray's lodging house. When we were wee if any of the residents were hanging around the door we would walk on the other side of the road because the story was that they dragged youngsters in and they were never seen again.

They could have done us all a favour

Before it was Englands chippie down Lower Methil going back about 40 years sure it was corstophines now after a few pints that was a fish supper.
Showing my age again

I've been reliably informed Del from the chippy is still alive BTW

OOPS!! Glad to hear it.

KotS
The street at the bottom of the steps is called Toboggan Road.

In unrelated matters, there was a toboggonist's shop in Leven High Street next to MacVities Guest. King Kebab knows all about it.

Is that the one that had a minky in the winday???

The Model Lodging House, later to become the Wonder Store furniture dept., was indeed known as the 'Cairngreig Mansion' and, sad Anorak that I am, I can tell you the exact story behind the name.

Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin . . . .

If you look on the opposite side of the road from the 'Model', you'll see there are three quite substantial stone built villas. Once upon a time, when there was little or no housing round about there, they were rather desireable places to live, and had nice views over the Forth. Proposals were then put forward to build a 'Model Lodging House' to accommodate the Navvies that were to be employed on the construction of the new docks.
The owners of the houses objected to the proposals, as they realised that not only was their view about to be blotted out, they would also have to put up with the drunken and rowdy behaviour from the navvies.
The objectors were Mr Cairns, Mr Greig, and the local minister who lived in the adjacent manse.
After a lengthy battle, the objection was eventually thrown out, and the builders of the Model lodging House cheekily named their new building the CAIRNGREIG MANSION after Mr Cairns, Mr Greig, and the Manse.

has any one seen ma wee coco with the powder on his nose l8tly miss him x x

What about the drinking wells that were down the beach.I bet if they were still there no one in their right mind would drink out them now

As well as the drinking wells there were big shelters, one was across the road from the festival gardens. I had a few snogs there when I was a teenager, those were the days. Also mind the shows on the prom with the Waltzers, Dodgems, Speedway with motorbikes and horses. I always used the motorbikes so I could be a rocker for 5 minutes, great fun.

Does the name Ray/Rey Nicol mean anything to anyone? married to Grace Nicol stayed in Robin Crescent and played dominoes mainly in the Buck n Hind before sadly passing in 92.

Raith
... played dominoes mainly in the Buck n Hind before sadly passing in 92.

I think, in dominoes, they call it chapping.

Please note this is intended as a wee light-hearted comment and not meant to be disrespectful in any way. If it doesn't come across in the right way, I'm happy for it to be deleted.

In the summer time weather permiting and at a high tide there were rides on a motor boat that usually went out as far as the bouy that was located about a mile offshore from the shorehead pier, and back cost was about 1/6 in them days.

Big Rab
In the summer time weather permiting and at a high tide there were rides on a motor boat that usually went out as far as the bouy that was located about a mile offshore from the shorehead pier, and back cost was about 1/6 in them days.
A ride down Leven nowadays cost about the same

Bob Jolly's the barbers in buckhind,now he gave you a good bowl cut,Birrells the barbers next to buckhind primary,mcclenan's the hair dressers up fae the sport shop.

viewpark fifer
Bob Jolly's the barbers in buckhind,now he gave you a good bowl cut,Birrells the barbers next to buckhind primary,mcclenan's the hair dressers up fae the sport shop.

What about Montgomerys at the dock gates that was an apache not a barbers

You were physically assaulted during a "haircut" at Monty`s!!!

Tam
Big Rab

Ferdies is still there. Unfortunately the owner has just passed away.

Who's being telling porkies or did I see a ghost tonight

BrianL
Tam
Big Rab

Ferdies is still there. Unfortunately the owner has just passed away.

Who's being telling porkies or did I see a ghost tonight

Brian, I was badly misinformed!! I plan to purchase a bag of chips to show there was no malice intended...then again maybe not!!!

A Lucky Bag and a Pink Panther bar from Tammy tait's van on a friday night!!!

The big tree at Methil

King Kebab, Have you still got the Pink Panther wrapper? I sold a 1970's Freddo Bar wrapper on ebay a few weeks ago for £5.51, I'll give you a £1 for it, cash.

I used to get my Pink Panther bar on a Saturday night at a wee shop that used to be near the Medical Centre at Muiredge. Name of the shop, anyone

Charlie Niven's barbers shop in Wellesley Road. He used to be able to cut your hair wi a fag in his mouth that had 2" of ash and it never dropped!!
The Co-op grocery at Aberhill

Does anyone remember a guy who stayed in Taylor St Aberhill just before Janettas shop who moved house using his bike which I'm sure he balanced a wardrobe on. He also had the stair railings up to his flat 'decorated' with all sorts of sweetie papers crisp packets kids windmills etc. I was told he was a miner who had got a large payment for an accident but lived frugally shall we say.

See further up the thread, Stewart.

KotS

Cannae see it?

Stewart
KotS

Cannae see it?

Posts on Feb 27 at 6:04pm and Feb 28 at 9:22am are two that mention the guy.

The garage on near the Festival Garrdens was owned by Nichol (spelling?)Near Ferdinandi's was Parkison's fish and chips too. Across from Parki's was Chalmer's wee shop (in the mid 50s) Thorat's had thw Newsagent/Post Office at The Glen. I delivered papers for them. What about Carmichael's at the end of Victoria Road. Brown's the chippies near the level crossing @ Wagon road. Just heard the Silver Tasse is now toast.

Big Rab
I think there was a garage with the name of Harris opposite Paterson's fruit shop on Commercial Road,
They had one of the few taxis in Leven when I was growing up.

Also there was a garage on Links Road near the rear of the old Beach Hotel, now the Festivel Gardens

Hutchison's Electric Shop is it gone ????

Buchanan the chemist was on the High Street

I believe there was a ice cream shop on Scoonie Road named Ferdinandi's or some similar name

did anyone remembar the good old days at old bayview membar chink thay would call him jesus

we used to call him the dug man n rumour amongst the bairns was he actually ate his dogs,he moved from the house in methil to one in lundin links-which he paid for in cash shortly before he died.The Stuarts (tinks) are pictured in the book never to return by sandy reid-theres even pics ov the old wifie wi the pram!
A remember a visit to the arcade was like what it would be for a bairn to go too Disneyland noo!

What book is that Julie?

East Dock bar

The hoists at the docks

Purple Cat

Wizard Cleaners

Bayview Bar

Bennys cafe on Kirkland Walk for fags

Methil Primary School

The paddling pool at Byron Park

The chip shop behind Old Bayview

The power station in Methil.

Silverburn

Letham glen

East Fife till a die
The power station in Methil.

Silverburn

Letham glen

To show how old I am - I remember the old power station - the one before the one that just got demolished. It was located very close to the new Bayview. It lay in ruins for many years but I think it got knocked down in late-70s.

Then there was Jeeks sweetie shop opposite the Innerleven Hotel and Moffats sweetie shop in Methil High St.

And steak pies from Gordon Allan the butcher. Never to be beaten.

its called never to return by sandy reid who was the old wife wi the fur coats sisters laddy.its a great but very sad read n talks about many local areas where the tinks camped,rthe sepentine in largo etc,n it has the most wonderful photies ov them wi the mum wi her pram n the guy wi the cowboy hat etc-takes ye right back!Leven library has a copy but its shut the noo

and what about the ice cream hut that was on the prom where ye could go n sit in n have a cone!
Also the Cleek in the golf vodca n coke for 50p
Coalmen getn the sacks filled up fae the lorry onto their backs-nae health n safety then!
playn chap door run fae one end ov casan tae the other
scabbie noarie-ye had ti sneak there tho cos we wer warned that a farmer with his horse n cart had tried to walk through it n wer never seen again cos it was bottomless!!! (Wooooo)

Rock at the Golf on a saturday afternoon( entry fee 50p)....and when a good band finished their set, the shout went up... 50p whoar's the band.

Last but least

Leven Junior Secondry School in Mitchel Street Leven

With teachers like Big Bob Armsrong, Miss Thomson,

Miss Whittet, Paddy Ireland, Jock Swinton and Hamilton

the Art teacher who always had a wee dram at lunch time.

Mr. Mackie the head master to name a few.

Just come across this twenty three years too late...Scabbie Nory and the bottomless swamp (is there really a tractor at the bottom?), The big pipe at the Dam, the tunnel in Starkie's Woods, The Floating head o' Buckhind, Big Johnnies Wee Johnnies, Drennans the record shop and The Auld Hoose on West High Street

You can leave Fife but it never leaves you.

I ask and I will ask again.."Did Woolworths at one time sell Bakery products?"

Also, who was in charge of the programme "bothy" on Kirkland Road?

Nookie Bear
Before it was Englands chippie down Lower Methil going back about 40 years sure it was corstophines now after a few pints that was a fish supper.
Showing my age again

The National bar lower methil, next to the chippie. As young boys our friday nights started there before a good night down the high street. We never did meet the so called lady of the night.

wheres the tunnel at starkies woods like?

Does anybdy mind ov the hairy catterpillar at the braes n also the wee puppet show machine at Johnnies,5p n u were hypnotised wi the characters on strings

the eton fish & chippy

Etons, with Dirty John and Shiela.

Used to buy my 10 Benson n Sledges there before going to Disco Grim in the Institute.

Hing on a wee minute. Who was Jessie Miller?

WHO WIS .. eh?. . what dae ye mean WHO wis Jessie Miller . .. dae ye no mind o' the price on the sole o' ma shoe in the National??? Aye,you mind ya dirty wee bug*er!!
Aye, and ah mind o' you AND ye nivver payeed me fur the extras!!!

Gloryhunter
The Floating head o' Buckhind,

WHAT???

Old Ferdie is still living don't know where that rumour came from old man del forno is still spitting in the fat too see if its hot enough lol

It was called the farm chippy

Yes, the smelly fox in the pen over the burn from the doos. And the baby goats eating the roses; thorns and all.

I REMEMBER THE MONKEY'S AND FOX IN THE BUCKIE HOUSE. TERRIBLE CONDITIONS WHEN YOU THINK BACK

What a great site and what memories. Thanks Jim for sending me the link. I think a lot of you are Balfour related the greatest company in the World I will never never forget the words of Major Mackie on our first day in the training room next to the iron bridge. He said "you are Balfour men and as such we are respected all over the world" and I can tell you he was right. Wha' like us gie few. Forget the aw deed bit.

Sha bun
Then there was Jeeks sweetie shop opposite the Innerleven Hotel and Moffats sweetie shop in Methil High St.

Have been doing some family tree research and this came up on a google search. Gordon Allan was my great grandfather and lovely to see his shop remembered.

Boab
Sha bun

Have been doing some family tree research and this came up on a google search. Gordon Allan was my great grandfather and lovely to see his shop remembered.

My late father-in-law Bob Hunter worked at Gordon Allan's as a message boy during the war, then served his apprenticeship there. He used to tell me about how butchers back in those days knew how to set out their window display, something he always said was lacking in later years. One of his favourite stories was how on a Saturday afternoon there seemed to be an abundance of sausages to sell before the shop closed, and they had to be sold as the shop would obviously be closed on the Sunday. Gordon Allan put a notice in the window to say the sausages had been reduced to clear - and the result was that nobody wanted to buy them as they suspected there was something up with the sausages (which there wasn't, he simply had a surplus!).
With time running out before the shop closed, Gordon simply changed the sign from "Reduced to Clear" to "Special Recipe" . . and cleared the lot!!

Trying to contact Gordon Allan the butcher
in Methil from a old friend and drinking partner
from the 1980's.Any info welcome.

Regards
Des Logan
Jersey

Peter's Hammer
I was his postman years ago when he lived on the Links Road in Leven, I know he moved away but I can't remember where, maybe Lundin Links?

what about Maggie Murphy???I mind of that threat looming over us as kids if we wer misbehaving-did she no stay in kennoway supposedly?

Sha bun
East Dock bar

The hoists at the docks

Purple Cat

Wizard Cleaners

Bayview Bar

Bennys cafe on Kirkland Walk for fags

Methil Primary School

The paddling pool at Byron Park

The chip shop behind Old Bayview

I remember swinging on the ropes that hung from the hoists! playing in the old power station. Swimming in the docks from the age of 7 ish. . Mucking about on the coal wagons. Went to lower Methil primary school until the age of 9 ish. Enjoyed the pet shop seeing Snowy the parroit. Can't remember the palace when it was a cinema but remember it being a bingo! Few names from lower Methil durie st area i remember, the Cunninghams, the Taylors 'young Robert RIP was only 7', Staffords, Broons to name but a few.

Brought back a few memories of lower Methil - had a look on Google street view, and I'm amazed at how much it's changed. The Palace is gone (I remember going to see the Beatles "Help" there, and a James Bond film) and the old police station. New houses everywhere!

I thought I recalled a big set of wide steps going down to Lower Methil which I suppose must be the Waverley Steps from Whyte Rose Terrace to Toboggan Road, but they don't look like how I remembered them. Were there any other steps down to Lower Methil???

This might sound a bit outrageous, and please correct me if my memory is playing tricks on me,but I seem to recall Glenn Walker buying a round of drinks once,many many years ago.

Daft Davie sinagogas cinnamon sticks the man wi the toupee at the troxy. Mars man. The pak ho chicken marylands the beer lorry at the steelworks brae the bull Stottin oot the tassie. Getting the tawse The flounder pool The broom chippy Brian the starter at the municipal The dcl club The strippers at the beach hotel on a Sunday so I was told I moved to hawick 25 years ago and I have been back up to fife since but reading this has made me laugh out loud daft Davie especially I can see him clear as day pushing the barrow

Cracking picture on the Official Site...

https://twitter.com/EastFifeFC/status/469913045264007168/photo/1

Aah the memories, I think it was only there and the Den, where you were able to get a bottle of Big 'T'!!!

Or running into the wee lounge next door to get any results that were crucial in ragard to the East Fife game that had just finished, this was pre-smartphone and not everybody took their tranny!!!

Would love something like that again at Bayview, won the jackpot out that puggy once, £100 in 50 pences! Nip across to the bookies for a cheeky wee bet and the pre match banter was great, couldn't even get a sniff at a pint last Sunday, Jimmy's is too wee. Be braw to have a decent pub down there, burger and pint, bit of banter and maybe a wee bookies for a pre match flutter.

The wee guy with the shuffle that shouted "Eeeeevnin Paaaaaaapperss". Alec?

Anybody remember the radio-controlled airplane show that took place every Summer in King George V Park?

Also remember hippie / student types doing a 'summer mission' type getogether for the local weans every day for 2 weeks in the Summer - Mornings were held in King George V Park and the afternoons were held beside the paddling pool next to Pleasureland.

Other's - The Beach Disco with Stu Turpie DJing (Before he went to Bentley's)

The Pavillion Discos in the above mentioned park.

Grasshopper
airplane show

Was it run by Merkins or do you really mean "aeroplane"?

Grasshopper
Anybody remember the radio-controlled airplane show that took place every Summer in King George V Park?

Also remember hippie / student types doing a 'summer mission' type getogether for the local weans every day for 2 weeks in the Summer - Mornings were held in King George V Park and the afternoons were held beside the paddling pool next to Pleasureland.

Other's - The Beach Disco with Stu Turpie DJing (Before he went to Bentley's)

The Pavillion Discos in the above mentioned park.

Yep, remember the model planes. And the summer mission at the park. If I mind right, the discos at the pavilion were on a Thursday night - Carl Douglas kung fu fighting was an in choon at the time.

The women's football tournie also took place in the park every summer.