Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 2016

Yeh, we are brutal; It's an embarrassment to football. I brought my mate from Middlesbrough to game and I had to apologise for subjecting him to that ****. We will be bottom of league by cob January if Gary remains. I am not going to anymore away games until there are serious changes. For the supporters this is becoming a nightmare.

38 Years and had enough, I dont blame you, but to put it into perspective, I have been watching East Fife for 70 years, 4 Cup Finals, 3 wins and 1 loss, the finest team ever to have come out of Fife, and I have never witnessed anything as bad as yesterday, the team were clueless (even taking the weather into account) and then you have Curly, Larry and Mo on the touchline telling them to keep their shape, it beggars belief, perhaps if more were to follow our example we would get something done, I cant find any more words to express my disgust and contempt for those running and managing (so called) East Fife Football Club, Yes I've had enough as well and wont set foot in Bayview again until this lot of Charlatans have been cleaned out.

A couple of months ago after one of several completely negative performances I posted that enough was enough and that we should start and play every game as if we wanted to win it rather than not lose it.
Not unexpectedly that didn't happen and here we are in free fall towards a bottom three place.
Saturday was atrocious with not one effort on goal in 90 minutes in a home game. Either the manager or the directors can change this. If the former doesn't do it the latter must,and very quickly,as this terrible,terrible football must stop.
This is not the time to do nothing and hope that things get better - it's time for a change and that must be either style of play or manager.
There was probably 150 spectators more on Saturday than would have been there on a normal Saturday. I wonder how many of them will be there next Saturday

Like most fans I was desperate for Gary to be a success at Bayview and build a squad worthy of wearing the famous black and gold. After relegation I was prepared for him to build his own squad and he decided to go with the quality over quantity (his words !) the squad we've had this season is down to the Manager and let's be honest we have neither quality or quantity !
How many games this season have we had the GK coach as the sub keeper ? Unacceptable !
Loan signings - McGovern - never played a game ! Kerr - good signing and regular starter. Leyden - played 3 or 4 games - no better than we had. Install - kicking his heels on the bench as we only play with one striker. Loan finishes 17th Jan
Signings - Goodfellow - great shot stopper but not great with crosses. OKane playing at RB - not looked too comfortable at times. Page & Kerr - decent partnership. Mercer - one of the best signings but being played out of position. Best RB at the club. MCDonald - short term contract, possibly away now, didn't feature very much. Murray - bit part player who doesn't look strong enough. Brown - playing wide instead of middle of the park - never a winger. Walker - now away to Berwick, should never have been resigned. Mullen - always trying the difficult pass, struggling recently. Campbell - decent player in defence of holding midfield but injury prone. McGregor - unlikely to be seen again after joining Linlithgow Rose. Slattery - best in the middle but been played wide left - agat n not a winger. Kyle Wilkie - great signing who can make things happen when deployed behind the striker. Fash - has made good progress but under pressure every week as so much expected of him. Naysmith - still a very good player but been reluctant to play himself recently.
Too many players being played out of position, no wingers, not enough leaders on the park, no real physical presence. No creative players other than Wilkie. If we lose Fash during transfer window we are struggling. 4 or 5 signings required to get us back on track and a change of system required. Not convinced that Gary will be able to do either.

It is very difficult to disagree with what has been posted on this thread.
Most supporters admire the honesty shown by Gary in his post match interviews but unfortunately these honest interviews do not necessarily make you a good Manager.
Gary has been manager now for 2 years and in that time the quality of football has , in the main,been dire.During that time he has managed a team that has been
relegated ,and has not been in sniffing distance of being promoted.
His team set up always seems to include 2 holding midfield players-yesterday it was Campbell and Mullen, and the excellent Kyle Wilkie fetching and carrying to support Fash. On the bench yesterday were 2 forwards,Insall and young Austin as a trialist,Murray , Naysmith himself, and the 40 something goalkeeping coach.That was the extent of the available players, with Kevin Smith out for the next few weeks.
The impression I got from yesterday's game that the players were not fired up for the occasion.To me they were also fed up with the style of play.
I am afraid that long gone are the days when you can merely write - off the season and start afresh next year. The pyramid system could mean that 1 club in the division will be relegated.On our current form it could be us.
As a club, we badly need more players within the next week.
No ifs or buts, we MUST beat Berwick next week.

The Board of Directors must be concerned about this sorry situation and I hope they act sooner rather than later. If not, then Gary should hold his hands up, admit he has failed and resign. He is costing the club money as people are not prepared to pay good money to watch such sub standard fare.
The Elgin match was just a continuation of the same garbage we have been witnessing for most of Gary Naysniths tenure at the club. Why should we wait in the hope that we might beat Berwick? That is only prolonging the agony. There is still time to save our season and Gary should swallow his pride and let someone else take over. After all, it couldn't get much worse.
Any East Fife supporter that is still defending the current Manager and his coaching staff is deluded.

Like others, Saturday was the final straw for me. I've not missed a home march for years but will not back until Gary Naysmith has gone.

The Directors HAVE to act and act Now!

Bayviewboy
Like most fans I was desperate for Gary to be a success at Bayview and build a squad worthy of wearing the famous black and gold. After relegation I was prepared for him to build his own squad and he decided to go with the quality over quantity (his words !) the squad we've had this season is down to the Manager and let's be honest we have neither quality or quantity !
How many games this season have we had the GK coach as the sub keeper ? Unacceptable !
Loan signings - McGovern - never played a game ! Kerr - good signing and regular starter. Leyden - played 3 or 4 games - no better than we had. Install - kicking his heels on the bench as we only play with one striker. Loan finishes 17th Jan
Signings - Goodfellow - great shot stopper but not great with crosses. OKane playing at RB - not looked too comfortable at times. Page & Kerr - decent partnership. Mercer - one of the best signings but being played out of position. Best RB at the club. MCDonald - short term contract, possibly away now, didn't feature very much. Murray - bit part player who doesn't look strong enough. Brown - playing wide instead of middle of the park - never a winger. Walker - now away to Berwick, should never have been resigned. Mullen - always trying the difficult pass, struggling recently. Campbell - decent player in defence of holding midfield but injury prone. McGregor - unlikely to be seen again after joining Linlithgow Rose. Slattery - best in the middle but been played wide left - agat n not a winger. Kyle Wilkie - great signing who can make things happen when deployed behind the striker. Fash - has made good progress but under pressure every week as so much expected of him. Naysmith - still a very good player but been reluctant to play himself recently.
Too many players being played out of position, no wingers, not enough leaders on the park, no real physical presence. No creative players other than Wilkie. If we lose Fash during transfer window we are struggling. 4 or 5 signings required to get us back on track and a change of system required. Not convinced that Gary will be able to do either.

I agree with this post and at times the season we are lucky if they are fourteen players that can play the game with walker and looks like mcgregor and mcdonald are away. with each day passing by we thought we can't sign anyone? surely we can get a loan signing at least maybe even liam smith back on-loan i heard on bbc website that hearts are looking at giving the next yougsters a chance for first team or gaining loan experience again and liam was one mention why not bring him back to fill that right back spot again we badly need.

Naysmith has been a disaster of a manager, from the relegation to his squad building he has been a failure.
It would appear that he has no trust in wide players as he prefers to play centre mids or full backs there. The reason being he will not attack teams and would rather contain a team and then nick a goal. All credit to Fash for managing to score any goals in this set up.
He has now came out and said he wants to sign at least 3 players, one being a GK. I don't think he should be allowed this chance. He is tactically inept, his football is the worst in the league and our form is in free fall. Proven managers have already been sacked for a lot less.