Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Fifers freed another midfielder

We had a few trialists at the start of this season who could made a difference but now were bare.

People expect far too much from this club at times. They talk about glory days of 70/80s where we finished 5th in the old second division, if we can't beat that 30 odd year later then I would say we are exactly where we deserve to be. In 15 years watching East Fife I've seen them finish 5th in League One.

Dubs
We had a few trialists at the start of this season who could made a difference but now were bare.

People expect far too much from this club at times. They talk about glory days of 70/80s where we finished 5th in the old second division, if we can't beat that 30 odd year later then I would say we are exactly where we deserve to be. In 15 years watching East Fife I've seen them finish 5th in League One.

We finished in the top ten of the top league in 1973 and 4th and 5th in the 1st Division in the mid 80's which would make us a top half of the championship side now. Yes these were a long time ago but shows what we are potentially capable of with the right Board and Manager. If however we are just basing our current situation with the past 25 years then perhaps we are expecting too much.

Problem is, we have a far greater pedigree than virtually every other league 1 and 2 club, half of the championship and even some of the Premier League. Like a lot of us auld gits, all I want to see is just a bit more than we are achieving right now before dementia sets in and the wifey has to spoon feed me and wipe my arse.

We're not asking for the moon but a wee bit of respectability now and again.

Keiran macdonald a player deemed not good enough for east Fife by Naysmith has stepped up to league 1 and signed for airdrie funny that most players leave us and go up divisions

Have to agree with BP that we should not dwell in the past. It's what we do tomorrow that counts not what we did yesterday. I can understand young Dubs frustration about all these comparisons to teams who were playing probably before he was born. However I don't think it's fair to make such a straight comparison. When I played in the early 70s there were only two divisions, 1 and 2. In the 70/71 season we finished 2nd out of 19 teams to get promotion. In 71/72 we finished 16 out of 18 to avoid relegation. We were part-time and competing against full time teams the likes of Celtic, Rangers,Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs, Dundee, Dundee United, St Johnstone and Partick Thistle. In 72/73 we finished 9th against the same opposition. Not bad going by anybody's standards.

So young Dubs give Bruce Springsteen's "Glory Days" a listen, and BP try Englebert's "Am I That Easy To Forget"!!