Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
1 2 3
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bygone Levenmouth

Yes, but I remember waiting for 6 weeks for the LP I ordered coming in.

definately the Millfield, Lighthouse and Rick's

Did you never buy a penny single at Bennys on Krikland Walk or even a half bottle of Draught Sherry. We even used to buy cinnamon sticks to smoke. Some people preferred Jack Wakefields for 5 Park Drive or 5 Bristols from the vending machines outside.

For entertainment what about the Disco Royale (Disco Grim) or Methilhill Dancing.

Peggy an usher at the Regent
Gannon's sport shop.
Douglas the butcher
Wattie Simpson snr & jnr butchers
The Royal Oak Pub it was on the High Street
Greenlees shoe shop
Russells & Turpies newsagents.
Lightbody's the baker
Mitchell the optician
The Coop drapery store on the high street
Anderson's the butcher
The Jubilee for dancing and a few fights
The Secondry School in Mitchell Street
The Masonic for dancing
Harvey's the photographer ???
Reedie's the baker
Mc Call's sweetie shop
Visochi's Fish & Chip shop on Forth Street
Recently Woolworths

Big Rab
Peggy an usher at the Regent
Gannon's sport shop.
Douglas the butcher
Wattie Simpson snr & jnr butchers
The Royal Oak Pub it was on the High Street
Greenlees shoe shop
Russells & Turpies newsagents.
Lightbody's the baker
Mitchell the optician
The Coop drapery store on the high street
Anderson's the butcher
The Jubilee for dancing and a few fights
The Secondry School in Mitchell Street
The Masonic for dancing
Harvey's the photographer ???
Reedie's the baker
Mc Call's sweetie shop
Visochi's Fish & Chip shop on Forth Street
Recently Woolworths

My Granddad ( Alfie Visocchi) god rest his soul, owned Visocchis Chippy with his brother.Also had one in Kirkland walk too.!!!

To add a few more Lawrence's barber shop
Tammy Ure's ironmonger & bike shop
Harris's garage
Swinton the joiner
Young the Blacksmith
Joe who was the manager of the Maypole grocery store
I had many a good fish supper at Alfie Visochi's, once in a blue moon was able to dine in.
Hutchison's lemonade
Adamson Haulage and latterly BRS ( British Road Services )
The laundry
Nicol's golf club factory
Forester the Brickie ???
Lawson the coal merchant
Clacher the coalman
The farm at Banbeath ( now Dieggo )

Dancing at the bowling club methil where the last dance of the night was the squirrel dance -Three times round the dance floor and over to memorial park for your nuts - Young uns the 50'S were the days.

More of a Buckhynd perspective-

The sports shop at Sandwell Street / College Street.
The Globe.
The Globe brae and old railway lines.
Bridge over the road at the public park steps / Largo Lintec.
Kittys shop.
The dairy.
Families having summer picnics over the braes.
Folk catching parkins in the rocks when the tide was out.
Regattas.
Saturday morning matinees in The Western and Imperial cinemas in Methil.
Was there also one called the Empire down lower Methil?
Auld jakey guy called Moses who used to walk the streets muttering away and shouting at nobody in particular.
Potley Pete.
Chap door run all the way down Cowley Street on the way to old Bayview.

Chippie at Rose Terrace (along from the Hut Shop)
The railway line
Bon Accord juice place
Pleasureland
The old dole at the Shorehead
Houseproud
Pak Ho in Forth Street (btw Peter the waiter looks exactly the same age today as he did then)
Eddie Ramage (Daft Davie's uncle?) - in his own words - "away wi' the birds"

Trivia question: Can anyone remember the connection between two of those named in this thread, namely Daft Davie and Swinton the Joiners?

KotS
Chippie at Rose Terrace (along from the Hut Shop)
The railway line
Bon Accord juice place
Pleasureland
The old dole at the Shorehead
Houseproud
Pak Ho in Forth Street (btw Peter the waiter looks exactly the same age today as he did then)
Eddie Ramage (Daft Davie's uncle?) - in his own words - "away wi' the birds"

Trivia question: Can anyone remember the connection between two of those named in this thread, namely Daft Davie and Swinton the Joiners?
Did Daft Davie no drive a bus or somthing like that into the building demolishing it

Davie stole the bus and crashed into the old caley i think

Aye, that was Daft Davie!
His 'punishment' was to be banned from driving. I thought that was brilliant as he obviously didn't have a driving licence in any case.
I also remember when someone gave Daft Davie a 'Double Diamond' tee shirt - with two big D's on the front!

Even better fish n chips, email me at focussupport@hotmail.com

The 355 fae Cellardyke
Aye, that was Daft Davie!
His 'punishment' was to be banned from driving. I thought that was brilliant as he obviously didn't have a driving licence in any case.
I also remember when someone gave Daft Davie a 'Double Diamond' tee shirt - with two big D's on the front!
Maybe thats why he stopped running down the road making sounds like a bus and when comming to a stop putting on the brakes(schoooo)Just remembered he pushed a wheelbarrow all over Leven at the same time is this where Angus Fifer got the idea or is Angus infact related

Parkers Store in Buckhaven
Randolph Hotel
Carrs the coachbuilders
Globe picture house (flea pit) with 4d matinee on Wednesday after school at 4 p.m.
Braehead clock which my old boy repaired in the 1950's
Abbotts shop on Kirkland Walk
Freezing houses in Kirkland Walk without central heating
Everything to do with the Wellesley, the pit the DMP washer the baum washer and mainly the characters that worked there

I remember Davie and his wheelbarrow as well. He always seemed to have a load of pals, like young teenagers, to help him transport whatever junk he happened to be carrying that day.
Come to think of it, this would be about the time that Tam and Jim P were about 12 or 13.
Could it be that Tam and Jim P were DD's helpers?

Jim Corstorphine
I remember Davie and his wheelbarrow as well. He always seemed to have a load of pals, like young teenagers, to help him transport whatever junk he happened to be carrying that day.
Come to think of it, this would be about the time that Tam and Jim P were about 12 or 13.
Could it be that Tam and Jim P were DD's helpers?
I think the Tam bloke was one of them running about with the erse out his troosers

Lawrence Driver
Did Daft Davie no drive a bus or somthing like that into the building demolishing it

Aye, my recollection is he stole the bus from the Shorehead and made it as far as Mitchell Street before clattering it into Swinton's.

But, to paraphrase the great Ivor Cutler, "It didn't matter in those days."

It was definitely the joiners he ran into, and not the Caley. I can still picture it yet.
Also, I'm pretty sure the bus was a touring coach on a visit to the Caley and it had been parked in front of the joiners. I think what happened was that Davie tried to start the engine but the bus was in gear. It only moved forward a few feet.

KotS
Lawrence Driver

Aye, my recollection is he stole the bus from the Shorehead and made it as far as Mitchell Street before clattering it into Swinton's.

But, to paraphrase the great Ivor Cutler, "It didn't matter in those days."
Think the bus was parked just outside Swintons with the motor running and he jumped in the drivers seat and put it into gear thus hitting the building.I dont think Daft Davie had the knowhow to drive it from the shorehead.

Lawrence Driver
I dont think Daft Davie had the knowhow to drive it from the shorehead.

Fair point. He probbably wondered why it didn't stop when he tried his "schoooo" braking noise.

Actually, you're all wrong.
What happened was that Davie was in Kirkcaldy and didn't have the bus fare home. He broke into the bus depot to steal a bus, but unfortunately couldn't find one with a Mountfleurie destination board, so had to make do with one that said Dundee via Leven.
Not knowing how to stop it as he passed through Leven, he was forced to crash it into the Caley and walke the rest of the way.

Kelty Clippie
Actually, you're all wrong.
What happened was that Davie was in Kirkcaldy and didn't have the bus fare home. He broke into the bus depot to steal a bus, but unfortunately couldn't find one with a Mountfleurie destination board, so had to make do with one that said Dundee via Leven.
Not knowing how to stop it as he passed through Leven, he was forced to crash it into the Caley and walke the rest of the way.
Daft Davie could not find his way home from the Shorehead let alone Kdy

woolies and the fife scoring a goal or 2

Williamson's chippie van in Mountflurie
The Palace and Imperial cinemas in Methil
The paper mill in Leven
The Spining mill in Leven
The Polis station in Leven.
The old Coop grocery van in Mountflurie before the Coop store was built
Leven Gas Works
Stuarts / Stewarts the hairdresser
The Band Hall ( it was used as a bookies joint )
most of the time

does anybody remember the chocolate machines outside the shops along side the fag machines,they wouldn't have there nowadays they would be carted of by they young ones.

viepark fifer
does anybody remember the chocolate machines outside the shops along side the fag machines,they wouldn't have there nowadays they would be carted of by they young ones.

Right enough - they had one outside the wee shop opposite the Thistle Golf Club.

Also,

Robertson's shop in Waggon Road
Tam Tait's van (fitba stickers on a Firday night)
Danny Crowe's van
Cliff Pemberton driving the buses - great character but he had more crashes than a shit computer
The bloke that flitted from Aberhill to Lundin Links on a pushbike
Geordie (Fagpacket) Collins' (Mitchell's late dad) original shop beside the Tassie
The site of the former Parkdale home before the home was even built (just bramble bushes for making dens in)

As I have nothing better to do just now as it is raining cata and dogs, I have remembered a few more .
Rolland's the painter
Duncan's the butcher
Birrell's sweetie shop
Footes the greengrocer
The Coop buildings on Durie street
Mann's TV shop
The shop owned by the Porteous family located in the back street who sold coloured fizzy drinks called Vantas I believe
The old Leven Fire Station
Barron's millenery shop
Walker's TV shop
The YMCA

What about good old Bayview Park

When the police caught Daft Davie after he crashed the bus, he reportedly burst into tears and said, "I've never driven a bus before!"

what aboot the co-op across from the hunting lodge i bought my first cd player out of there,come to think of it the first cd i bought was Black (wonderful life) brilliant album,,,,

What about Tullis the Bakers (where Nationwide is now) Used to get birthday cake there. Peter Patterson's record shop in North Street and the cafe where the Fun Pub is. What about the Co-op baker's van that was horse drawn. Great if you could get the manure for the roses - extra pocket money

What about the Blacks? Sitting on the Parkhill school wall wearing their Marlboro anoraks - they were mingin!

Does June Black no go with Mars Man from Mountfleurie. Does anybody remember Patsy's brother who went about dressed in his cowboy suit. Do you remember the Thomsons from Methil brae area. Man hurled pram and all family followed behind. Think they were called the Bauchie bairns

A few last items the Coop stables
The printers where the East Fife program was printed it was next to the Masonic Hall.
There was a Tobaconist on the High Street near where lightbody's the baker was
The Railway Station
The gateman at Waggon Road who closed the road gates to let the trains pass
Dr. Barnardo's Home.
Moncrief the electrician had a shop on the High Street
The Scottish Electric Shop at the Shorehead /Back Street
The Gas Company Offices in the Back Street
It is still raining very heavy here at times, we definately need the water as we have had drought like conditions the past few years
The Brick Works at Aberhill
Central Farmers at Aberhill ??????

The guy who flitted from Aberhill to lundin Links on the push bike was "Daft Wull" (Ramsay). He used to go around with a pack of dogs on various leads/bits of rope. I think "Winnie" was the one that he started with.

What about the "Stewarts" - the travellers that used to stay in the woods, get mingin and sometimes play the bagpipes.. I remember a story about the son going in to the Tower Bar. Fearing that he was going to ask for a drink, Eck Ross the barman pointed to the door and told him "OUT!".
"I'm only wanting the time" said the young Mr Stewart to which the reply was "Have ye no seen that big clock ootside?".
Whether or not the chap was indeed able to read the time would probably be irrelevant as growing up in Aberhill the most the Tower Bar clock was correct was twice a day.

Remember the red wooden bus shelter at the Tower Bar.

Jordan Terrace.

The cinema in Lower Methil was called the Imperial.

Beech Nut chewing gum machines - an extra packet every fourth turn.

Bayview - the half time scoreboards and the programmes that were a folded sheet of "goldie/brown" paper.

It was the Palace in Lower Methil. The Imperial was on Fisher St/McDonald St

What about Pat Quinn's sports shop in Wellesley Road, across from old Bayview, which he opened after he lost the East Fife manager's job?
I remember going in there before an East Fife home game (must have been mid-1970's) to buy an East Fife scarf, only to be told he didn't stock them!

Tbh,you would have thought that a man in his mid twenties would have had a scarf by then!

Can someone clarify the daft Davie bus story ...I had heard the bus stopped at the stop just up from Mc Phails ( formarly the golf tavern)and baxters audio. Baxters used to be a newsagents..and the driver had nipped in for a packet of fags, leaving the keys in and engine running, Davie jumped in and drove it round the corner into the front of the Cally Hotel.

The story was definitely in the East Fife Mail...or the Leven Liar as it was known in those days.

There was a woman with a hunched back who used to push a pram full of clothes and whatever around Leven for years. We knew her as Effie Dowffy or something like that.

HD
Can someone clarify the daft Davie bus story ...I had heard the bus stopped at the stop just up from Mc Phails ( formarly the golf tavern)and baxters audio. Baxters used to be a newsagents..and the driver had nipped in for a packet of fags, leaving the keys in and engine running, Davie jumped in and drove it round the corner into the front of the Cally Hotel.

The story was definitely in the East Fife Mail...or the Leven Liar as it was known in those days.

Not QUITE right, HD.
Davie jumped into the double-decker and drove off from the bus stop at Sinagoca's - but didn't drive to the Caley right away.
With the top deck full of screaming pensioners (all trying to take advantage of their free bus passes and spend the entire Saturday touring Fife), Davie took a left instead of turning right, and proceeded to take his elderly passengers on a nightmare trip around Levenmouth, swerving from one side of the road to the other.
Before crashing into the Caley, the double-decker ploughed through the Shell House, and that's why it's not there anymore. He then, as you correctly said, crashed into the Caley.
Does this make it all a wee bit clearer?

I remember her when she was engaged to ToC. They made a lovely couple, although ToC was sometimes a little bit embarrassed when they went out together and she would always bring her pram.

Big Rab

There was a Tobaconist on the High Street near where lightbody's the baker was

That was Courts, and as KotS will confirm, was reknowned for having a monkey and a hookah pipe in the window!!!

Nobody has mentioned Cormies yet and Williamson's "The Arcade", probably the greatest shop in the history of shoppery!!!

Yep, I remember the tobacconist - I bought my sledge from him.

I mentioned Williamsons!!!!

A rather insensitive post from Tam's backward twin brother maT. My whole world was torn apart when Effie traded up to a Silver Cross,dumped me and went cruising elsewhere.
Jordan Terrace and the brickwork have already been mentioned but at primary age I remember hours of every day were spent playing on the brickworks bing.
Gang huts,roasting potatoes,large ant hills and, although it is probably a trick of the memory,endless sunny days in summer.
Playing commandos or cowboys in Jordan Terrace when it was derelict apart from one house occupied by Wull Rennie ?

Has anybody mantioned George Walker's yet, across from Woolies (thought you'd have mentioned it, KK!) where a lot of my vinyl record collection was purchased.
Back in the mid 1960's (WHEN I WAS ONLY 6 OR 7 YEARS OLD) we would occasionally stop at the Shorehead in the early evening for a bag of chips then take a wander up the High Street. I seem to remember Walker's had a speaker above the door that played the latest chart hits 24 hours a day.
Anyone else remember this?

Jim Corstorphine
Has anybody mantioned George Walker's yet, across from Woolies (thought you'd have mentioned it, KK!) where a lot of my vinyl record collection was purchased.
Back in the mid 1960's (WHEN I WAS ONLY 6 OR 7 YEARS OLD) we would occasionally stop at the Shorehead in the early evening for a bag of chips then take a wander up the High Street. I seem to remember Walker's had a speaker above the door that played the latest chart hits 24 hours a day.

Bill Haley and his Comets and Buddy Holly?

Jacobiter
Jim Corstorphine

Bill Haley and his Comets and Buddy Holly?

I do know (was told) that you could get some choice videos from under the counter...if a certain East Fife supporter was working.

So TOC and his pals "roasted potatoes".What sort of sick perversion is that.

Jim Corstorphine
Jim did you not have a part time job winding up the gramaphone at that time

Jim you are needing a new pair o' specs as I mentioned Walker's TV on 27th February

Hope to see you at Arbroath for the last game of the season.

Just thought of one more former business in Leven namely Mac Donalds garage it was in South Street behind Woolworths
Also was there no a chemist by the name of Wallace in the High Street ????.

The Other Chairman
A rather insensitive post from Tam's backward twin brother maT. My whole world was torn apart when Effie traded up to a Silver Cross,dumped me and went cruising elsewhere.
Jordan Terrace and the brickwork have already been mentioned but at primary age I remember hours of every day were spent playing on the brickworks bing.
Gang huts,roasting potatoes,large ant hills and, although it is probably a trick of the memory,endless sunny days in summer.
Playing commandos or cowboys in Jordan Terrace when it was derelict apart from one house occupied by Wull Rennie ?

TOC what about the times we used to split and trap the lassies at the dancing

Aye, Big Rab, but ye didny mention the loudspeaker above the door!!

See you at Arbroath - and remember that the last away game of the season is traditionally our fancy dress day!!

Shocked
So TOC and his pals "roasted potatoes".What sort of sick perversion is that.

It's sad how the innocence of youth can be turned into a pervert's fantasy.

Here is another place that I do not think has been mentioned The Burgh Yard it was located opposite the back of the Post Office on Church Road and the main entrance on Anderson Street
Grubb's sweetie shop on Station Road
The Music Shop on Mitchell Strret
The Slaughter House it was next to the Burgh Yard

That would be on the corner of Victoria Road and Anderson Street Rab. There was a public toilet directly across from the Post Office. If you kept walking towards Glenlyon Road you would have Arden House opposite the Commercial Road entrance to the GPO on your left, you would come to a shoe shop on your right (Buists?) then Verner's shop and dairy.
Swan Pond (which never had any water that I can ever remember) was now on your left. Can anyone mind what preceded the Centre? I've got a vague recollection that it was used for dog handling classes but couldn't be certain.

The Centre used to be The Drill Hall. My mum used to go dancing there.

Many thanks a glass of limeade for the correction, I guess I did not do to badly having been gone from Leven for 50 yes 50 years now.
There also was the wee sweetie shop next to the Troxy
Cinema in the Back street
There was Kirk's chip shop that became Bittone's I believe also another chip shop across from it both in the Back street.
There was a newsagent shop just past ( the other side of the wynd ) from Lightbody's Bakery
Last time I was in Leven it was a flower shop.
Also in the High Street there was a Men's clothier named Hepworths I believe.
The Trustee Bank in Mitchell Street ????????
The joiners shop in Commercial Road just past the close at Vishochi's ( it now is a night club I believe )

Aitken street and Carlows coart

Another few..............

Cormies
Bruces record shop.
The British Linen Bank
Liptons
Hays??? (where the Clydesdale Bank is now)
Balfours on Windygates Road
The National Steel Foundry
The Steelworks Club
McKee's Bicycle shop
The Shoe repair shop at the corner of Sea Road and Wellesley Road
THE WONDER STORE
Scoonie Hobbies
Barlow the Dentist (I was his last patient before he topped himself :(
Jordan Terrace
The tinks that destroyed the river bank at Kirkland
The Penang Bar (before disco grim with CM & SL before they signed for the Fife :)

what about the cooking centre in buck hind(they done the school meals)the old guy's tossing coins in the weymess caves.

The Co-op department store in the High Street that later became the Lighthouse Disco then the British Legion (after it stopped being a shop the entrance was changed to North Street).
When it was the Co-op department store, did it not have a lift?

Yes Jim I rode that lift a few times

In training to go underground at the wellesley pit Ha Ha

Yes there was an elevator on the premisis.

does nae cunt believe me they tossed the coins

viepark fifer
does nae cunt believe me they tossed the coins

I believe you are refering to the old game of

Pitch & Toss, many a miner lost money on this game

Some more -

The NCB apprentice training centre at Muiredge.

Braehead Tech/School.

Methilhill dancing opposite the Douglas.

The Rag & Bone man.

Store horses pulling the bakers vans.

McColl,s Dairy in Lower Methil

Allan,s the Butcher further along.

The McColls emigrated to Canada in the late 50s and I met them in Hobart,Tasmania in 1960 walking down the main shopping street.What were the chances of that?

Bon Accord which was Hutchison's before that,The Maybol supermarket,The green Fishing hut at the power station,the coal chutes at the docks,all the warehouses where our ground now sits it was a golf course at one time too,Cockmalane up the Broom,Leven Juniors old ground which is now St Aggies school,the old stone bus shelter at Mountfleurie,Cooks cement works,the old starters hut at the Municipal golf club,crazy golf and the trampolines down the beach,my innocence and optimism

Scabby Norie pond and the marshes! Mibbe still there?

Did any body mention the underground bogs at the bottom of Methilbrae across from the national.
Thats where the dodgy merchant seamen used to hang out.

DD was always collecting for the bonfires, many times you would find half your fence or gates gone...

june black was at the last home game(or the one before that) along with her little girl and the dad 'mars man'

Harry the bummer from the toilets at the council yard across from the post office

Realist
....crazy golf and the trampolines down the beach,my innocence and optimism

St Pauli Fifer
Realist
....crazy golf and the trampolines down the beach,my innocence and optimism

[/quot YOUR POINT IS

Jessies Boy
Aitken street and Carlows coart

Here is a couple more Scoonie Farm opposite the cemetry.
Bob Gilmour the milkman he filled the up the bottles of milk at the farm before he delivered them.
Mc Gregors sweetie shop in Durward Street
Kitch McKays both shops one next to the Drill Hall the other near Montrave Crescent

Jim Corstorphines Oxford bags platform shoes and sports jacket with wide lapels and last but not least his sholder length hair

Another question:

Can anyone recall the manse alluded to in Manse Place?
It would have been where the Dole Office/ Health Centre now stands in Victoria Road.
It was wasteland and a place to spend endless hours when we were bairns in the early seventies. The aforementioned Stewarts, the tinker family, used to set up home there as well.

the methil pet shop owned by ostler(reltso pet store),the bingo hall in buck hind, gus smarts scrap yard behind the buck&hind the remploy doon buckhind,the slaughter hoose next to nimmos yard,largo lintec,browns sawmill,sliding doon the braes on bread boards,fuck sake i'm showing my age noo.

Viepark Fifer you must be an old codger when you can

remeber the Buckhind slaughter hoose.

As a young message boy for Simpson the butcher who was in Leven I had to go on occaision to the slaughter hoose to get the blood to make the black puddings.

me and my best mate went to the slaughter house once it closed down to get the racing pigeons that roosted under the eve's, thank god i've got my own doos now and don't have to climb up there it was very dangerous'the things you do when your a bairn,do you not remember Gus Smarts scrap yard.

Another one to add to the list soon according to the East Fife Mail - the DCL deer herd

I think there was a garage with the name of Harris opposite Paterson's fruit shop on Commercial Road,
They had one of the few taxis in Leven when I was growing up.

Also there was a garage on Links Road near the rear of the old Beach Hotel, now the Festivel Gardens

Hutchison's Electric Shop is it gone ????

Buchanan the chemist was on the High Street

I believe there was a ice cream shop on Scoonie Road named Ferdinandi's or some similar name

Hutchison's is indeed gone.

Ferdinandi's is still there, and probably run by the same family as when you were last in it, Big Rab. In fact, until quite recently, they were still using the same till with the wee tabs with 6d and thruppence and the like.

Big Rab the garage you refer to on Links Road was part of the fiat garage on Scoonie Road - Links Garage.My Dad worked there for 35 years.

viepark fifer
the methil pet shop owned by ostler(reltso pet store),the bingo hall in buck hind, gus smarts scrap yard behind the buck&hind the remploy doon buckhind,the slaughter hoose next to nimmos yard,largo lintec,browns sawmill,sliding doon the braes on bread boards,fuck sake i'm showing my age noo.

I can remember climbing over the gates of the sawmill to 'play' in there at night, also remember the sliding down the braes. Kittys shop in Victoria Road Buckhaven and the Community Centre or Old Mans Hut as we called it next to Kittys on the corner. I got caught climbing on the roof by the police when I was about 6 and thought I was going to get arrested!

Durie the builder had a garage/yard at Whyterose Terrace. The roof was sloped and you could slide down it because the ASBESTOS became smooth and shiny. Thank goodness for H&S.
The back of the garage looked on to the back of Taylor St (drying greens)and when the grass got cut they would pile the cuttings up at the end of the garage so that you could jump/fall the 12-15ft into piles of grass.

Big Rab
I think there was a garage with the name of Harris opposite Paterson's fruit shop on Commercial Road,
They had one of the few taxis in Leven when I was growing up.

Also there was a garage on Links Road near the rear of the old Beach Hotel, now the Festivel Gardens

Hutchison's Electric Shop is it gone ????

Buchanan the chemist was on the High Street

I believe there was a ice cream shop on Scoonie Road named Ferdinandi's or some similar name

Ferdies is still there. Unfortunately the owner has just passed away.

Tam

Ferdies is still there. Unfortunately the owner has just passed away.

Is that the old fella in the white coat, Tam?

Aye,that is him.

Tam
Aye,that is him.

Bloody Hell - that's sad to hear. The end of an era. At least he was still in great fettle, taking the piss (as was his way) when he served me a couple of weeks ago.

RIP, nice manny.

That is sad to hear!!!

He was a great old guy, I always remember going into Ferdies the night Italy won the World Cup and he was pished as a fart singing at the top of his voice shouting at everybody in Italian (good humouredly obviously) as his wife was trying to drag him through the back!!!

He was probably telling us to GIRUY!!!

BTW his name was Del Forno, The original Ferdies was way back in the 20's when the building was put up!!!

If you look up the side of it you can still see Ferdinandoes carved in the stonework up the corner of the wall, it was probably cheaper to nod your head when people called you Ferdie than to get it removed!!!

A bloody hell old Del has passed away?

Stotted in there many a time after a few beers in the Steppy.

Now no Steppy and no Del's.

Tinsoldier
A bloody hell old Del has passed away?

Stotted in there many a time after a few beers in the Steppy.

Now no Steppy and no Del's.

The worst chips known to man but still we went back for more!!!

Scoonie just isn't the same now man!!!

I blame Rabbie for selling up, the rot set in after that!!!

Or do I blame G.REED for buying it!!!

No one has mentioned the best shop for eye candy that was CAPITAL FROZEN FOODS. Oohhh the young man in the navy coat who was in charge and his tall friend with slight gingery hair and claimed to be a goalkeeper on east fifes books who hung about the shop at dinner times jim i think was his name.
They had me and my class mates shaking with there tales of saturday nights at the beach hotel and the way i think one was called paul handled his frozen smoked sauceage oooooooooooooooh and teased us with his beef jerky they were the days we always hated having to jump back on the school bus to go back for afternoon periods.

By the way, Tinsoldier - nice try, but it doesn't really look like this thread is going to catch on.

When the Jubalee was being knocked down for the new road my pals and me snuck down the basement and found guns and grenades that had been left by the Poles during the war.

KotS
By the way, Tinsoldier - nice try, but it doesn't really look like this thread is going to catch on.

Must be some sort of record surely?

What aboot Thorrats auld post office & newsagent in Scoonie Road where I used to buy my copies of Oink! comic and scooter magazine.
Aw the scooter boys in the 1970's wi' their stripped doon Lambrettas there were loads of them.
Shorehead hippies, Harry the Bummer used to hang oot there at the shorehead toilets tae, if ye went in fur a pee he wid stand beside ye whistling and trying tae spy yer nob.
The tiny auld guy wi' long white hair that had the flashy motorbike wi' loads o' mirrors and crash bars.

And there was a tall guy fi' mountfluerie who cycled aboot on a racing bike wi' loads o' mirrors, panniers, cat's tails, horns and stuff like that. I still see him but no on his bike.
The Buckhind Billy Boys, when they came intae the Disco Royale me and ma pals were scared to look at them, they always wore Levi jackets and jeans.
The Young Broom Team.
Robertson's shop in Commercial Road where I used tae buy ma scud mags.
Scoonie auction rooms across fae the Den Inn, it's a car showroom now.
Dowie's auctions, now a gym.

I've actually got auld pictures of Norrie Parky's chip shop and Ferdinandi's. Norrie was a right character always farting and blaming it on the mice.

Here's some o' the 1970's scooter boys in no particular order : Zeke Ramsay, Jim Burns, Gordon Downs, Davy Galloway, Jed Livingstone, Ali Thomson, Gordon Moncrieff, Ron Smith, Alan Love, Jimmy Love, Tony Kwiatkoski, Dave Donald, Fergie frae Lergie, Mike Harrison, Mike Berry, Bert Allan, Drew McGovern, Bill Kidd and his brother (cannae mind his first name), Eric Culbert, Jeff Marven, Rab Scotland, George McCue anybody mind o' any mare?

Salmon Bothy
Daft George
Blunderbus (free bus for fathers to be to Craigtoun Park maternity hospital)
Getting yer post before 9 am not 9 pm.
Leven Y.M.C.A.
Postmen with longhair.
Being able to walk hame drunk on a Friday night without the fear of gettin yer head stoved in by a bunch of brainless 16 year olds.
Mountfleurie Neighbourhood Centre

Are you sure about that Livingstone bloke.???Thought he was a hippy,not a scooterboy.

Methilhill Ex-servicemens club, has that been mentioned yet?

There was quite a few of us who used meet at the shorehead on or motor bikes Era 1958 / 60.

We would then zoooooooooooom away from the shorehead up the Back Street down the High Stret and back to the shorehead

On occaisions we would go to Elie for coffee.

The furthest I ventured on my bike was Hull, before it was stolen in Perth one night and never recovered.

Was the pub at the top of East/West Hight street called the Randolph? The other bit I remember fondly was the derelict Lighbodys next to St Agathas church which was dead easy to get into and still had loads of bakers uniforms in it. Oh how I loved running a bout with a white coat on .. it prepared me well for married life with an axe murderer.

The old buildings at the Michael were interesting as was a stroll along the black beach to climb the hairy caterpillar.

Could you imagine kids now gettting that freedom to roam about the parents would get asbos

Buckhynd Juvenile Delinquent
a stroll along the black beach to climb the hairy caterpillar.

You didn't "Roast" Potatoes with ToC did you???

King Kebab
Buckhynd Juvenile Delinquent
a stroll along the black beach to climb the hairy caterpillar.

You didn't "Roast" Potatoes with ToC did you???

Well hellllooo.

Big Rab
On occaisions we would go to Elie for coffee.

Bloody Hell's Angels!

Was there no a Computer shop just along from hutchisons think it maybe where Delmore estate agents is i seem to mind ,wasnt open long the bloke who had it was a Dick, sure he sold my pals dad a dud pc and never ever fixed it.

We were no Angels but we had fun and cheap transportation, petrol was about 2&6 a gallon or maybe a little more.

This is the best AFTN thread ever, bar none

Talking about cyclists, does anyone mind of a scaffie around the early eighties who would cycle to work wearing his KDC uniform and a top hat?

A glass of limeade

If we could get Gof to dig out the "Wee Shop In Waggon Road" thread and combine them, then yes it would be!!!

Can that actually be done???

Fred's Chinese next to Ferdinandi's at Scoonie.

Was licensed to close at 12 but you got in the side door (now a tattoo place) till about 3am. Got Sweet & Sour Pork (known as Pork Baws) or Sweet & Sour Chicken (known as Pork Baws - Chicken wans) then took it up the road and sat in bed eating them at 3am. Then slept fine and no repercussions. These days I have to stop eating about 8pm or my 'bowls' are knackered for days. Okay, too much info.

Btw, is Fred still there. He used to disappear for about 3 years at a time, then suddenly re-appear as if he'd never been away.

Steak pies at 4 AM at the back door of Deas the bakers bakery.

I remember that Jed Livingstone bloke, he had a cool scooter and really long hair. All the local chicks used to swarm roond him at the shorehead when he was hanging oot there.

I remember Eck Marvin he would go about on a scooter wearing his white crash helmet then go fishing on his boat still wearing it,He was also a dab hand on the pinball machine at Jonnies Bingo,sadly he passed away a few years ago.

I can remember when I lived in a flat in North Street, well my Stanley was alive then you know, and you could get a pound of sausages for threepence farthing then too, well there was this gang of young thugs would roar up the street on their motorbikes after zooooooming away from the Shorehead and all they would do was just to go back down the High Street to the Shorehead again then come around again and go around and around and around and I used to say to Stanley I used to say I've got half a mind to clip that big one called Robert around the ear!

I remember Eck Marvin, he was at school with me, he had a twin sister called Beth. I knew Eck had died, wonder where Beth is now? They were cousins of Jeff Marvin who was mentioned in the scooter boys post earlier today.

See in the East Fife Mail the Slipstream club is no more now too

that hairy caterpillar wisnae half steep,i remember sliding doon and missed a tree i tried to grab onto and luckily grabbed hold of my pal after a few tumbles,i fucking nearly shit myself,i remember getting told when i was a wee boy there was a green genie i one of the caves or was it the castle.what about the air raid shelter across from summers road.

Salmon Le Bon
I remember Eck Marvin, he was at school with me, he had a twin sister called Beth. I knew Eck had died, wonder where Beth is now? They were cousins of Jeff Marvin who was mentioned in the scooter boys post earlier today.
Beth got married and now lives in Edinburgh somewhere,She married an actor who's claim to fame was he played the barman in Garrnock Way

Beth married actor Bill McCabe, who played Harry Murdoch in Garnock Way.
I knew Eck Marvin really well and his Dad Bert - me and Delivery driver used to go out fishing with them back in the 1970's.
Last saw Beth at Eck's funeral, which must be around ten years ago now!

Aye I think Fred still stays above the shop with his wife but the shops closed now I think. It used to be Norrie Parky's chip shop if I'm correct. Norries was great I used to frequent it in my youth, playing pinball and listening to "Black Night" by Deep Purple on the jukebox in his cafe. His ice cream was great along with his black pudding suppers.

Who can remember the sweets of the seventies my favs were Texan bars,M B bars and Tudor crisps they were canny.

I hope I am not the Robert you wanted to clip around the ear.

Anyway I didnae use Robert as a name when I lived in Leven I used a Nome-De- Plume.

Does anybody remember the Air Raid Shelter thas was in front of Leven Secondry Shool in Mitchell Street ????

I had a good education at that school did not realize
it until later on, as it has done me well in America.

Salmon Le Bon
Aye I think Fred still stays above the shop with his wife but the shops closed now I think. It used to be Norrie Parky's chip shop if I'm correct. Norries was great I used to frequent it in my youth, playing pinball and listening to "Black Night" by Deep Purple on the jukebox in his cafe. His ice cream was great along with his black pudding suppers.
Would never touch Parks chips as he was constantly picking his nose,we called him wheelbarrow as we reckoned he had gonads that you would need a wheelbarrow to carry around,Also remember his old mother who would henpeck him rotten.

Salmon Le Bon

What about all the level crossing gates?I will start with four.

1.Starkies Wood.Always used to be shut when I was late for Buckhaven H.S.

2. On the road between the Standing Stone road and Muiredge.The gate keeper had his own wee cottage right by the gates.

3. Coaltown of Wemyss by the Primary School.Gate still there I believe.

4. Station Road,Leven.Station gates.

I stayed in Buckhind right across from Kitty's shop. She made Kittys "specials"-ice blocks made in old plastic tubs with lollipop sticks in them.They cost half pence. She always asked us to bring back old sticks so she could reuse them. It didn't matter how dirty they were. I wasn't allowed to go in because it was a dirty shop, so my mum said. She used the same shovel to clear the ice from the freezer as she did to clean the dog "muck" from the pavement. I had to send my pals in for me.
If you managed to aquire a breadboard you didn't give it up they were like gold dust.
Cairns shop was round the corner.
What about the newt pond, well disappeared into the sea now.
The cheesecutter at the park at Factory Road. It was green, and the roundabout and the sandpit.I remember every Sunday night having a fine comb put through my hair my mum said she was looking for sand. Didn't matter how long I protested that I hadn't been near the sand pit.
The toilets at the school on the Globe Brae, wasnae allowed in there either told it was where the bad men were.
Anybody remember the tablet Murrays sold?

Jed the scooter boy is still gawn aboot, he was a postie for aboot 25 years and had the longest hair I've ever seen on a postie. Now it's shorter but he still dresses like a hippie type but withoot the flares. I think he's retired noo, lucky sod.

Does Kennoway count as Levenmouth? If so what about Kennoway Road Club, I spent many a happy time out cycling and racing with the boys from the club. AH those were the days. I still remember some of the members, Ron Munro, Colin Carmichael, Derek ?, Mike ?, Bob ?, Bill Mitchell, Gordon Fenton, Jed Livingstone, Eric Corstorphine, Sandy ?, and many more.

Dave Marshall

2. On the road between the Standing Stone road and Muiredge.The gate keeper had his own wee cottage right by the gates.

Dave do you remember the railway gate at Dysart?

It allowed the trains to go back and forth to the Frances Colliery was stopped there many a time travelling on the bus to and from Leven to Kirkcaldy.

Regarding # 3 that was for the coal trains going back and forth from the Michael Pit.

Big Rab
Dave Marshall

Dave do you remember the railway gate at Dysart?

It allowed the trains to go back and forth to the Frances Colliery was stopped there many a time travelling on the bus to and from Leven to Kirkcaldy.

Regarding # 3 that was for the coal trains going back and forth from the Michael Pit.
Remember the railway line at the back of the DCL am sure they had gates at the Sandy Brae Kennoway if memory serves

King Kebab
A glass of limeade

If we could get Gof to dig out the "Wee Shop In Waggon Road" thread and combine them, then yes it would be!!!

Can that actually be done???

The wee shop in Waggon Road never existed!!

I think at one time there was a shop at the corner of Durward Stret and Waggon Road no ???????

Memories!!!!

Big Rab
I think at one time there was a shop at the corner of Durward Stret and Waggon Road no ???????

There was the "wee shop" on the corner of Dewar Drive/Waggon Road

There was a wee shop on the corner of Glebe St and Anderson St, it was No. 1 Glebe St but you're talking a long time ago maybe the 50's. The wifey used to serve folk out of her front window.

The dairy in Factory Road/ Randolph Street. The lift in the flats at West High Street. You got someone to hold the lift while you ran from one end chappin the doors as you went. Murder if someone came to use the lift halfway through.
Stewart, I remember the old mans hut and the cash and carry across from the community centre. The raincoat factory in Randolph Street/Victoria Road with the garages that backed onto it. Most kids had a coat from there at one time. I had a red one with a matching sou'wester hat.
The hairy caterpiller was steep when you were young. Went back about 15ish years ago and investigated. Amazing how you're memory plays tricks. There isn't much to it. Many pairs of trousers were torn and knees skint though.
Just had a walk over the shops at Buckhaven and the shutters are down at Murrays, is it closed for good?

Thorrats ...laterly Hasties....and sadly no more. Chic Hastie, one of the nicest people you could meet, sadly died a few weeks afte he retired.

Any old dart players remember at one time there was 2 different dart set ups , Eastfife darts league( 2 divisions ) and the rebel league. There was also a fine dart player from M/Hill called geordie linton who would play darts with his hat on , I believe he beat wee Jocky Wilson a few times cant remember if he played for scotland.

Big Rab

I think the gates at the Coaltown served Hugo and Lady Victoria.The Michael line was at Wemyss Castle Station at East Wemyss.

The gates at Dysart were for the Frances.

Watching the trains go across gave me a fascination for steam boilers and engines that still lives with me today.It was the main reason I joined the Royal Navy as a mechanic.

Geordie Linton did indeed play darts for Scotland. He was in the Railway most nights and usually kept his big overcoat on when playing. Used to always try to finish a game by hitting 3 doubles.

You're correct, Dave Marshall, about the gates at the Coaltown. That line was part of the WPR (Wemyss Private Railway) and branched off from ther Lochhead Pit, on the road fron Coaltown to the Standin Stane Road. After the still existing gates at Coaltown the line entered a tunnel under the Wemyss Estate and came out at the Victoria Pit in West Wemyss.
The crossing on the road from Muiredge to the Standin Stane road was also for the WPR, as was the crossing at Starkie's Wood.
The line mentioned at the back of DCL was the East Fife Central Railway, the longest goods-only branch line in Scotland. It branched off from the Fife Coast Line at Cameron Bridge and terminated at Lochty. There were (I think) four goods stations on the line - at Kennoway, Montrave, Largoward and Lochty.

Jim Corstorphine (anorak)
You're correct, Dave Marshall, about the gates at the Coaltown. That line was part of the WPR (Wemyss Private Railway) and branched off from ther Lochhead Pit, on the road fron Coaltown to the Standin Stane Road. After the still existing gates at Coaltown the line entered a tunnel under the Wemyss Estate and came out at the Victoria Pit in West Wemyss.
The crossing on the road from Muiredge to the Standin Stane road was also for the WPR, as was the crossing at Starkie's Wood.
The line mentioned at the back of DCL was the East Fife Central Railway, the longest goods-only branch line in Scotland. It branched off from the Fife Coast Line at Cameron Bridge and terminated at Lochty. There were (I think) four goods stations on the line - at Kennoway, Montrave, Largoward and Lochty.
Knew you would come up with all the info bro

Nobody's mentioned the Tennis Courts at Leven, where Miss Houston used to take your money.

Cameron Bridge?? The line branched of the FCL opposite Methilmill Cemetery, there was still a red brick platform on the north side of the line in the late 60's, can't remember when it was removed.

there was a old man's hut at sandwell park across from the dressing rooms,also a swimming pool down buck hind beach next to the band stand,do you not remember stealing bread boards from the bakery to slide down the braes,everybody used to steal out of kitties,you'd send her through the back for something and help yourself,do you remember Hoggs shop at carlisle cresent he was a grumpy old B.

I may be wrong but I believe there use to be a level crossing near the Big Tree, on Methilhaven Road!!!

Just along fae the swan's pond in Leven wis a papermill I think, noo it's hooses called Glenlyon Place. Opposite that wis Norton House where I had my 21st birthday party in 1974 then my Stag in 1977. The barman was a real skinny guy and liked his drink as well. My pal Fergie frae Lergie ended up wi' alcohol poisoning and was ill for about a fortnight.

Sombody mentioned the old burgh yard at the junction of Victoria Rd and Anderson St Leven, well I mind that when it closed Billy Laing rented a part of it for his waste paper business. My pal Wullies dad worked there and we would go and visit him and look for nudie mags amongst the papers and we did find some now and again, we were about 13 or 14 so nudie mags were a great find for us.

On the Cupar Rd just outside Leven was the coup, me and my pals would go up sometimes and find some good stuff like old bikes etc.

Nicoll's cleakworks (golf club makers) was mentioned a few posts back, well next to that was D & T Smith slaters and plasterers workshop. It's now Aithernie Court flats.

I think the level crossing was at Starkies Woods on Methilhaven Road, going from the Toll Bar past Buckhaven High and before the pitches on the right at Sandwell. Was it no the rail line to the old brickworks on the Sea Road?

does anyone remember a place called bayview park in methil, where they used to play football and big crowds were entertained? whatever happened to east fife, anyway?

Seen The Day
does anyone remember a place called bayview park in methil, where they used to play football and big crowds were entertained? whatever happened to east fife, anyway?

FAIL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The pre-fabs at Ashgrove in Methilhill.

The coke machines where you put a warm one in to get a cold one out.

The original expresso coffee machines.

A decent football team

Forgot Gallo's ice cream.Their chocolate sliders were to die for.

Tullis the bakers Paris buns.

I remember that hippy guy Jed Livingstane, the postie , i remember seeing him down shotburn cres in the 80's posting his mail , we used to see him on the way to school and always say " mornin Neil " and he would say mornin back. this went on for about a year, i left school and saw him down the high street a few years later and of course greeted him with " hi
Neil " his response was" aye that's an old one (he he")
I thought that's a strange response, wasn't till i was introduced to him properly years later, as Jed , by a mate , that i finally worked out he must have thought i takin the p*sh . I did think his real name was Neil. DHO !!!!!!!!

Brian L

Cameron Bridge?? The line branched of the FCL opposite Methilmill Cemetery, there was still a red brick platform on the north side of the line in the late 60's, can't remember when it was removed.

You're correct, Brian, it was called Fife central Junction. I put Cameron Bridge as that's the nearest station that anyone would recognise

Exiled Fifer
I think the level crossing was at Starkies Woods on Methilhaven Road, going from the Toll Bar past Buckhaven High and before the pitches on the right at Sandwell. Was it no the rail line to the old brickworks on the Sea Road?

The line continued on past the brickworks, went under Wellesley Road and ended up at the Wellesley Pit. it was also part of the WPR network.

Re : Rick Mail : I remember when Jed the postie got called Neil too, it was cos he had long hair and looked like Neil from the Young Ones. There was a postie from Kennoway called Quint, I think it was because he looked like Quentin Crisp the gay bloke. I think his real name was somebody Bummingham, not too sure?

RE : STANE . i think i know that guy bummingham , he was good mates with ex east fife player (davie cairns)i think he used to go to the legion club in kennoway every sunday , i was introduced to him as the kennoway bull , he was a cool dude tho !!!!!!! , im sure you will remember him ?

Re ; Rick Mail : Aye Rick yer right aboot Quint his nickname was the Kennoway Bull and he was and I'm sure still is a cool dude. Was he so called the Kway Bull because of his extra large testicles or because he always had the Horn?

The Quarry Brae on the road coming out of Windygates towards Methilhill at Cameronbridge.A nightmare to get up in the winter.The problem was that is was on a corner.

I remember the ladies shop in Commercial Road where the male assistant would try on the hats to show how you would look in them. It's now a travel agents. Also Magdalene's in Bridge Street, that's a house now. There was also a dress shop down one of the side streets off the High Street, can't remember name.

The "automatic" system in the Co-op which took your money to, and your change back from, the office.

Bike Boy, did you go to the Friday night youth club at the Hall of Culture then across to the church youth club where the disco was in a cupboard? Did you go o'er the Miggie Den when you were wee. Its just a couple o trees noo.I mind there was lots of playing fields outside the swing park. At the swing park the boy who did the gardens used to chase you if you went near his roses . One time the Boys Brigade were in a football match and one of their team got an own goal. It was hilarious cos they all chased the boy off the field and his mum was chasing them and shouting they were to leave her loddie alone. Think he came from Seaton Terrace. Do you mind Ian Methvens van and Brunton the butchers van and Andy the baker from the Store. I think it was Monday you got brown bread.

wee bert still sits at leven bus station

I can mind fire watching at the Mill when I stayed in Aitken Place. We used to get the older ones to cover for us so we could go to the dancing at The Jubilee or down the beach to the Go As You Please.

For those to young to know about the automatic change system in the Coop In the grocery dept. there was an overhead wire system where the clerk put your bill and money in a small container this was sent to the cashier cage and any change that was due was returned
the same way.
The clerk who waited on you had in a way no money to look after or give you your change if any.
At least that is the way I remember it.

Jim Corstorphine
Exiled Fifer

The line continued on past the brickworks, went under Wellesley Road and ended up at the Wellesley Pit. it was also part of the WPR network.

There was another level crossing on Methilhaven Road at the end of Brady Crescent anothers on Methil Brae and Main Street Methilhill. I used to have an old map (1920's?) that showed a railway coming out of Methil docks over the High Street at the old dock gates (the bridge was still there in the 60's) then went under Wellesely Road, along the back of Bayview crossing Methil Brae where the gates to the council yard are, it carried on to the Klondyke pit (Rannoch Road) across what is now Savoy Park. It then passed along the back of Brady Crescent crossing what is now Methilhaven Road at the other council yard. It wound it's eway across what is now Bucckhaven HS and crossed Methilhill Main street at the side of the grocers shop where it spread out in to sidings behind Simon Crescent and eventually joined the main line at Cameron Bridge.

Jeez!!! hope you can follow that, I'm no writing it again :)

When I were a lad the sidings were the council dump, many a good bike was found in there.

White dog shite!!!

Brian L

The lines were part of the WPR connecting the Rosie, Wellesley,Lochhead,Muiredge, Pirnie,Cameron,Wellsgreen and Earlseat pits.The Pirnie was where B.H.S and the Council Parks Depot is now.

What about the original Bawbee Bridge.Far better to look at than the present one.

Does anyone remember the Hovercraft's on buckhind beach just in front of the braes, where the bandstand and pool used to be??????

Dave Marshall and Brian L -
I co-wrote (with the Fife Railway Preservation Society) a wee book on the Methil Branch Line about fifteen years ago that contains a sketch-map in the centrefold of the railway lines around the Methil & Wemyss area. Also contains sketch plans that I did of the stations from Methil up to Thornton and some good photos.
See me on Saturday or email me if you'd like a look at it.

The animal centres at Lethem Glen and Silverburn.

Remember there was a Highland Coo at Letham Glen in the field at the top and weren't there boar in an enclosure at one time accross from the deer?

Just to be the 200th post.The Sally Army coming round the pubs on a Saturday night with their mag.

A decient night life down the street on a Sat night.I can remember the days when you would go down there and not be afraid of getting the shit kicked out of you at cloasing time by a lot of little Herberts

Windsor Charles
A decient night life down the street on a Sat night.I can remember the days when you would go down there and not be afraid of getting the shit kicked out of you at cloasing time by a lot of little Herberts

I thought peter pan aka coco and his bbc crew had stopped drinking in this country and were frequently in europe on cheap flights with there brand of ahem drunk fun

Any one remember the ironmongers at methil brae johnny visochis i think it was called.And did Intersport have 2 shops 1 at muriedge and 1 at sandwell street im sure shug greer was manager at 1 time.

I remember the 2 hovercraft down Buckhynd. Must've been the early 70's. Hundreds of kids all clamouring to get inside. The braes used to be epi-centre of the universe back then. Men poking with cleets for crabs in the rocks when the tide was out. Kids bricking jellyfish and sometimes octupus trapped in the tide pools. Kids all used to have fires down the beach too and chucked asbestos slates and aerosols into the flames. Mind of a dead whale washed up on the beach too along at Wemyss. Seemed to be there for months but probably just a memory trick like summers that were never ending sunshine for weeks on end.

The Sporting Post..RIP.

The East Fife Mail in broadsheet

Mostly Methil stuff I remember from the 70's.

Ernie McGarr working in the pools office on Wellesley Road.

Co-op opposite Bayview Park.

Thomsons grocer shop near the pools office, Wellesley Road. ( had a cat with either 3 legs or 1 eye....cant remember which! )

Stuarts the Baker opposite Methil Bowling Club with wee booths for sitting in.

Donaldsons(?) Electrical shop on Wellesley Road near Bayview which sold records.

Visocchis shop Wellesley Road near Barrie st.

AB&B Fruit yard opposite Kirkland High school.

Anderson potato merchant, ( Tawtie Tams ) Wellesley Road and a petrol station across the road.

Gordon Allan (?) Butchers near dock gates.

Pennywise near foot of Methil Brae

Pik & Save near old dock gates

Fisher Joiners at end of McDonald st.

Barrons electrical shop foot of Fisher st.

Old Methil Police office on Fisher st.

Sailors Rest club, lower Methil.

Bakers on Fisher st next to Beatties newsagent.

A shark swimmin in Methil docks watched by East Fife players before we got knocked out the Spring Cup by Clydebank in 1976!

Athols Chippie on west high street, mmmmmm lashings of vinegar and chippie sauce on a fish supper. ..........

what about papa gallo best ice cream van ever

There was Ogilvie's and Allan's ship repairers in Lower Methil near the entrance to the docks.
The Men's Boarding House in lower Methil
Also the Methil Coop had a butchers and grocery store in Leven High Street, opposite Simpson's the butcher.
The bookie shop in Forth Street near the Baptist church hall.

I see into the future but will look back once,The Wonder Store

Big Rab, was the men's boarding house in lower Methil called Cairngreig Mansions?

It was commonly known as the " MODEL " you could reach it from Aberhill by coming down the steps to it
Also it was not to far from Cooper's the junk man's yard, which was also in Lower Methil
Sorry i have been gone too long to remember the street names I just know where it used to be.
An old guy who I worked with on the pit head at the Wellesley, he used to live at the " Model "

The street at the bottom of the steps is called Toboggan Road.

In unrelated matters, there was a toboggonist's shop in Leven High Street next to MacVities Guest. King Kebab knows all about it.

Always knew it as Murray's lodging house. When we were wee if any of the residents were hanging around the door we would walk on the other side of the road because the story was that they dragged youngsters in and they were never seen again.

They could have done us all a favour

Before it was Englands chippie down Lower Methil going back about 40 years sure it was corstophines now after a few pints that was a fish supper.
Showing my age again

I've been reliably informed Del from the chippy is still alive BTW

1 2 3