Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
1 2 3
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bygone Levenmouth

No that was Geordie (Dod) Gillies who ran the fish and chip shop in Paterson Street

It as Dod Gillies who had the fish and chip shop next door to the Leven Co-op run by Mr Webster in Paterson Street Aberhill, then there was Lightbody's the bakers and Elsie Davidsons on the corner of Taylor street

It was George (Dod) Gillies who had the fish and chip shop in Paterson Street. He lived above the shop. In the same block was the Leven Coop run by Bob Webster then Lightbodies the baker then on the corner Elsie Davidson had a wee shop. Opposite was Peter Horne's dairy which was previously a shoe repair shop - I think Mr Pye. The there was the Methil Coop butcher shop.

That was my dad! .. Carlo Gallo x

aye bertie still going strong around new bus station

Actually Bertie died a few months ago sadly.

Aye I remember them well

Aye a remember them well, nice guys

I saw Bertie the other day

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Geo
I saw Bertie the other day

Where?

I find that hard to believe as Bertie died a couple of years ago???

I need to corect my earlier reply. Bertie actually died on 24th June 2014 so only just over a year ago.

Saw Bertie yesterday at the bus station

The Neptune Bar
After hours drinking in the Cale residents' bar
The Carousel run by David and Pearl Cook (They have a special place in my heart)
Innes's Book Shop and art supplies
The Silver Tassie - you could get a wonderful Pimms complete with fruit salad - if Alistair was in the mood
Mathieson's Shoe Shop and it's after hours painting club with the Mays (Paton and Hoggan)
Mann's wool and hat shop
Robertson's Paper Shop
John Menzies upstairs record shop for prog rock and of course Drennan's with the two very hep old ladies who stopped speaking to me after I bought Never mind the Bollocks!
The foxes in the Glen
The seaside missions at Scoonie Kirk
The cheese-cutter and maypole at the paddling pool (both teeming with kids - H&S nightmares)
Endless sunny school holidays damming up Scoonie burn
Traffic on the High Street
The railway station - a gateway to the world outside
Chrissie's clothes shop at the Shorehead - for all your crimpoline needs
Barron's Clothes / household shop
Paterson's Fruit and Veg
The Pet Store
Summer shows at the Beach Pavillion Theatre
Inappropriate matinee shows at the Troxy (Night of the Generals, Dance of the Vampires, Our Man Flint)
Sneaking jublees from Cinagocca's into the Troxy matinees
The Double L - Lundin Links Hotel - our school pub!
Work places - the spinning mill, paper mill, the pits, the steel works, the post office, the lemonade factory.

Aye Leven Lass I remember all the places same as you. I was a regular at Drennans every Saturday to spend my pocket money then my wages once I started working, the greatest record shop ever. If they didn't have it in stock they would order any record specially for you.

Can't believe it's taken me this long to visit this thread. It's a gem - pure dead brilliant. If you want an intimate archive of Levenmouth history, look no further!

Although I'm only a Sassenach incomer (since 1973), I can empathise with many of these posts, especially the one about the record shop in Leven which the old ladies ran. They knew far more about Jimi Hendrix than I ever did!

AFTN site administrator - for goodness sake get this thread archived for the local history society because once it's gone, it's lost forever.

MON THE FIFE (AND WOLVES)

From my time living in the area:
Letham glen animals disappeared, the bandstand, silverburn, acorn pet store now sainsbury extended the building into one shop, Woolworth now pound land, old electrical shop now new look, movie express now ladbrokes, habit where my mum held a job before working with Richmond fellowship now wh smiths, sommerfields in leven, old post office in buckhaven, Wellesley road now filled with cars and taxis, denbeath miners club, sports shop which self mostly golf equipment now tanning place across from gala bingo now cinema in leven, post office factory now good news in leven, pleasure land, johnnys bingo along the prom, purple shop hairdressers back street of leven was a taxi centre, the washing machine shop on the corner across from new bus station now a takeaway place, the auld factory that stood where the retail park in leven, the auld bumpy road off bawbee bridge from leven to methil past recycling centre on the hill now shut off, toll bar methilhaven road, zaps computer store now jacks chippy in methilhill off methilhaven road, firework display along the prom, power station, the mill field did lovely bar lunches, Slivertassie pub, In Dysart the electrical store now a co-op and kwick save store lower methil

Don't know if it's been mentioned in a previous post but does anyone remember the auld man's hut at Sandwell park,just down from the dressing rooms.

I could have sworn I saw him too at the bus station he had a wee leather bag on etc only couple of months ago. I mind his mum selling sweets in the wee sweet shop on the way to Parkhill school. Are we talking about the same guy?

It must've been his ghost then George as Bertie died a while back.

Saw him this morning at the bus station.

As a 16 year old just started my first job App electrician with Moncrieff Bros Sunday night Number 1 bar in the Earl Haig Club and 5 pints of ordinary at 14p a pint then on to the disco in the Centre and a became the best dancer in scotland HAPPY DAYS

shame the dancing thing isnae what you will be remembered for eh

Tinsoldier
A bloody hell old Del has passed away?

Stotted in there many a time after a few beers in the Steppy.

Now no Steppy and no Del's.

My Uncle, John Redpath, used to tow the Coop van up to Mountfluerie every day from the transport depot on Commercial Rd. I think Mr Todd was the salesman and had the manager's job when the shop finally opened.

1 2 3