Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Artificial pitch

I agree, The artificial pitch should be outside of the stadium with new changing and other facilities. There is plenty of land for that.

Anyway the hallowed stadium should be for East Fife FC matches only, not for pub players(though god knows we've had plenty of those over the years!) and kids.

I have made no secret of my feelings on this. Unless this is an opportunity for the club to generate a substantial income, therefore securing the future, I see no reason whatsoever to tear up, arguably the best playing surface in Scottish football and replace it with 3G. In my own opinion, which apparently is the same as a large percentage of our loyal support, the artificial grass will only be another nail in our coffin. The standard of play on these pitches is poor, and lend to many "training match" style games.
I do understand that many feel that this is the best way forward, but sadly, I don't.
If you want to change the game for the better, campaign for summer football, now there is something that CAN benefit the club we love.
I look forward to hearing the views of others after the meeting last night.

Bayview will hopefully become a community hub with more more visitors to the stadium, more commercial opportunities etc.
Perhaps the powers that be might be persuaded to provide a rail link to Levenmouth after decades of economic neglect.

Can anyone tell me why we're not installing a 3G pitch NEXT to the stadium for training/commercial income?

That way, we keep the best pitch in the league and can rent out an artifical pitch.

?

Totally crazy to get rid of the grass pitch. The people that behind this need their heads examined. Its the one good thing about our stadium. The atmosphere is **** but at least we have a pitch that is respected by loads of teams. Gary has said before that its one of the best in Scotland. Any plastic pitch should be built next to the stadium. No brainer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally agree with this, I'm behind the idea but it shouldn't replace the existing pitch!!!

3G pitches still get games abandoned, if there's heavy snow or frost, unless there is under soil heating being built in as well as coverings to protect it from the elements then the benefits are negligible to the Club apart from their cut of the incoming revenue, this would still come in if the artificial pitch was built on the land next to the stadium!!!

Seems a no brainer

Are there any fans who wid want to get rid of one of the best pitches in Scotland tae hae a artifical one? especially if East Fife dinnae own it so they cant make any money?

would benefit laying the 3g grass on the training field or KGV 5th for the ladies use and us keeping the best grass at NB to extend Wilkie's contract thats a must need keep our best player at this club.
3G works well at other clubs because they have terracing, postments and youth teams in midweek, remember we scrapped ours and think the ladies would benefit from it more than at Bayview.
You have to go back in january up at annan to witness what snow was like on astro, you thought players were skating half of the time and falling over in that conditions but glad we got through that and took the points home after been 4-0 up at half time.

Leven Utd's park at KG Vth park in Leven is also one of the best playing surfaces in Scotland. It always looks immaculate when I pass.
I think it would be wrong to convert either this park or Bayview to 3G.
Put the 3G pitch on the spare ground next to Bayview. This could the earn revenue for the club through community use.

What about the players? What do they think?

The players will be gone within two years and we will still be here. Let's leave them out of this.

Maybe they will be gone in a couple of years but can we then attract dec not new players?

Kyle Wilkie, whose credibility is rising rapidly is on record as saying that the present playing surface was part of the deal clincher.

And will the club benefit financially from it a great deal cos remember when first mooted it was the club that we're going to install the plastic pitch not a community project grant.

I think if you are going to debate any matter you should have all,the facts at your finger tips. I'm all for people having the right to express an opinion so long as it's based on hearing the case from all interested parties. I would like to know how many of the people on this forum went to any of the meetings to hear the views of all the parties concerned. Do they know the financial implications for everyone concerned? Have they any idea of what the long term benefits will be for The club or the Levenmouth community? I see no mention of the East Fife Academy. Whether or not they are an intergal part of the club at this point in time is neither here nor there.

I am a great admirer of Wilkie, but would suggest his allegiance to the Fife will be based more on financial reward rather than playing on grass. Put another way, if Kelty Hearts offered to double his wages next season he would be off skating around their artificial pitch.

The most interesting post on the subject for me was SPL Scout who remarked about the plastic pitch at Annan. It seems players were sliding around on the snow covered surface, couldn't keep there feet, and it was so bad they were 4-0 up at half time!!

Give me a break, pl-------ease.

Dear Mr Leg end

I said that the pitch was part of the reason Wilkie was at Bayview not the whole reason and we have heard Gary Naysmith on more than one occasion say that Wilkie had turned down more cash with clubs in a higher league before deciding on East Fife.

As for Kelty Hearts offering double the wages, pl...............ease is the moon made of green cheese.

It's not just about the wages for some players. I refer you to the admirable Mr Kevin Smith.

From the US:
http://bankershealthcaregroup.com/blog/2016/01/sports-safety-will-athletic-turf-get-called-for-a-penalty/

Saturday 30th January saw the first of a number of public consultation exercises that will be held in the coming months across Levenmouth on the future use of East Fife's Bayview Stadium for the wider benefit of local sporting and community groups.

Fife Council, local councillors, local business leaders, the Trustees of Fifers For The Community and East Fife Football Club are committed to delivering a state of the art facility for the people of Levenmouth.

The coming weeks will see further discussions with the wider community and many additional funders including Sports Scotland, SFA, Football Partnership and local business leaders.

Fifers For The Community are committed to ensuring the facility is designed and delivered after extensive consultation with community and voluntary groups and will ensure that the people of Levenmouth are kept briefed on developments of the project as they happen."

"PFA Scotland has sparked debate on the use of artificial pitches, calling for research on their effects on players.

Players union spokesperson Stuart Lovell has told BBC Scotland that its members "need to be listened to". He cited the results of a 2013 survey of 700 players in which 73% said they would prefer to play on a "deteriorating grass pitch" than a plastic one.

Twelve of Scotland's 42 Scottish Professional Football League clubs use artificial pitches, two of them - Kilmarnock and Hamilton - in the Premiership.

BBC Scotland has been gauging their popularity among managers and players"

Some interesting views being expressed by managers and players particularly concerning injury risk. Have a look at the full report on the beeb website also some comments in todays Courier.

I'm sure these have been considered and rejected by the board?

It's pretty obvious that current players will favour grass as by and large that's what they will have grown up with.
One needs to he careful when interpreting simple surveys.

Thanks for clearing that up Eugene. A 'simple' error on my part, clearly all the empirical evidence has been carefully considered and such 'simple' surveys should be ignored.
The trials suggested by the PFA seem to make sense to me not least to inform decisions about players potential injury risk.

Eugene Clarke
It's pretty obvious that current players will favour grass as by and large that's what they will have grown up with.
One needs to he careful when interpreting simple surveys.

WTF do you know about playing football, or about anything else for that matter? You have plenty to say but little to offer.

Actually you should read the comments from the Hamilton chairman. Why should his pitch be subjected to rigorous test such as height of ball bounce, how far the ball rolls of a chute etc, has anyone tried that at Cliftonhill?
From I can see the complaints are about pitches that don't have shock pads installed, guess what, the proposed pitch at Bayview will have one! Shockeroony!

big hertha

WTF do you know about playing football, or about anything else for that matter? You have plenty to say but little to offer.

Well that's me tellt! Don't know by whom though.

Tom Aitken
Thanks for clearing that up Eugene. A 'simple' error on my part, clearly all the empirical evidence has been carefully considered and such 'simple' surveys should be ignored.
The trials suggested by the PFA seem to make sense to me not least to inform decisions about players potential injury risk.

My pleasure Tom. I can also assist with inferential logic

Apparently artificial pitches may cause cancer

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10154596/report-claims-link-between-3g-pitches-and-cancer