Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Is there a chance our Scottish Cup feat being matched ?

What are the chances of Gretna winning the Scottish Cup (being a second division team)? Pretty good I'd say given that the Old Firm are out.

Re: Is there a chance our Scottish Cup feat being matched ?

None, whatsoever.

How can you call yourself attendee when you clearly went there today?

Having just seen the draw for the first time, they've got a real chance of getting to the semis, then who knows.

Would hope we never lose that record though, or at least repeat it!

Gretna are a premier league team in disguise.

I wouldn't rule out a real upset this year - but more like another 1994 when Raith snatched the League Cup

East Fife were in the 'second division' when they won the Scottish Cup. However, remember that in today's money this would be the 1st division. Gretna are in, what would have been considered then, the '3rd Division'.

If they do go on to win the cup, they would actually have outdone our feat, and would take the final bit of pride away from football in Methil and Fife in general (seeing as rovers and beath already sold their souls to the d*vil many a moon ago).

Brown and Moffat have managed to bring about the demise of a club that has a history many premier league teams can only wish for. Maybe I should amend that, it was not just Brown and Moffat that destroyed this club. I should add Danskin and Methil itself to that list.

I left Methil 15 years ago, and i still think it was the best decision i have made in my life. The town has one of the worst self pitying and miserable attitudes i have ever come across. It has become a joke in Fife all by itself without EFFC's help.

Junkies and dole bludging b**tards have destroyed the pride the place once had. How can EFFC ever expect to bring back the glory it once did when the environment they play in is so pathetic?

I have supported the black and gold since the day i could walk, and always will. However, I will not pay one more penny it Brown's coffers, and i will not help to support a team who's owners and managers won't try their best to bring back the one thing that Methil can actually be proud of.

Moffat's out, Brown must be next or the Fife will die. Fact.

I think that's unfair on the people of Methil.
Methil was built to accomodate coal miners. Pit after pit closed down in the 70's and 80's. For a while the largest employer in the Levenmouth area (population over 30,000) was a government funded scheme run by Buckhaven Parish Church!
Successive governments have cared less than a flying fuck about the people of Methil and it's environs. Little wonder we now have high unemployment and the horrid downward spiral of the resulting social effects,drug misuse, crime etc.
I too have been a lifelong supporter of the Fife and, like many others have had to move from the area to seek employment, but I would never dream of looking down upon the community that I grew up in.
In fact (getting angry now), fuck off.

Gretna would not out-do East Fife's feat.

In season 1937/38, when East Fife won the cup, there were 20 teams in the top division. Today, there are only 12 teams in the top league. This makes it much "easier" for a team outwith the top league to win the cup.

At the moment, Gretna are in 23rd place in Scotland. Back in 1938, that would be a team challenging for promotion from the Second Division. Which is what East Fife were that season. So at best, they would match East Fife's achievement.

We finished 5th top in 1937-38. There were 20 teams in the first division.
If Gretna won the cup it would be some achievement, even giving the resources they have available. If anything it will serve to underline just how great our performance was in 1938.
I don't think they'll do it but as a fitba fan it's been a terrific Scottish Cup this year...

"The town has one of the worst self pitying and miserable attitudes i have ever come across. It has become a joke in Fife all by itself without EFFC's help.

Junkies and dole bludging b**tards have destroyed the pride the place once had"

Maybe people like yourself putting the area down hasn't helped with the self pitying attitude. Ok so Methil is a deprived area and is a shodow of it's former self but there are things to look forward to.

The possible creation of jobs at the Former RGC yard

The ever more likely rail link being re-established

The on going development of the docks

The planned deestruction of the power station

Some Methil residents who realise that the town has a lot of improvement to make prefer to look at the poisitives and do what they can to help but others will buy in to the "Joke town" attitude portrayed by media and people who should know better.

A successful football team with a proud history is part of a successful town with a proud history and as east fife fans we should be fighting for both and not accepting current situations

As someone else forced to move away to find work, I don't think Levenmouth will improve until transport links improve.

Main Roads to Leven and the East Neuk are a disgrace, how many accidents are caused by the Standing Stane not being a dual carrigeway? Markinch meant to be upgraded to a "Superstation" to serve Glenrothes and Levenmouth - absolute shite.

East Fife FC is about the only thing going for this area.

"A successful football team with a proud history is part of a successful town with a proud history and as east fife fans we should be fighting for both and not accepting current situations"

Amen to that.

Another Tam - you've hit the nail right on the head!
For years now the west Fife biased Fife Council have repeatedly spent YOUR money improving transport facilities, sports facilities etc. on the Dunfermline area, its surrounding towns and villages, and to a lesser extent Kirkcaldy.
The further east you go, the less you have.
Look at the money that's been spent on cycle paths on the roads between Dunfermline and Kincardine / Clackmannan, then compare what you see with the footpath between Leven and Lundin Links or the footpath outside Smithygreen Primary School on the main road from Kennoway to Cupar.
Look at the millions spent re-opening the railway from Dunfermline to Alloa and Stirling, then take a look at the existing railway line down to Leven that is now out of use.
Look at the thousands spent on floodlit five-a-side pitches in the 'poor deprived former mining communities' like Cowdenbeath and Oakley, then take a look at what our kids have to amuse themselves.
The whole thing stinks.
As for those of you slagging off the inhabitants of Methil, however, I would have to say that Methil is no worse than several towns in the west of the region for drug and anti-social problems etc. In my line of work I see evidence of this on a daily basis.
Remember there are lots of good, decent people in our local area and we should be proud of who we are, not ashamed. Personally, I would rather walk through the streets of Methil on a dark night than venture out into certain parts of Kirkcaldy, where 'bus routes have had to be changed to avoid damage from bricks and stones being hurled at them.
Just one more gripe before I close. Remember Leven's Christmas lights? Remember how the Kirkcaldy lights used up all the budget, so there were no lights on Leven High Street last year? Mysteriously, Fife Council managed, just a couple of weeks later, to find enough funds to have Kirkcaldy Town House decorated with an external light display.

Sounds like the answer then is to move to Glenrothes - what do people think? It's an old story this one going back as far as the early 70's, but is it the only way forward for the club to prosper?

Sounds like the answer then is to move to Glenrothes - what do people think? It's an old story this one going back as far as the early 70's, but is it the only way for the club to prosper?

Why

Moving to Glenrothes could put off some of the fans the club still has, whilst I dont see the people of Glenrothes suddenly changing their habits just because East Fife move in.

Meadowbank moved to Livingston, on the face of it a success but at the same time many thousands of comps are handed out to try and fill the place. They have almost gone bust twice and are probably now headed back to their true level of a second division side.

Clyde moved to Cumbernauld and found it very difficult to attract the locals because the folk living there invariably already had a team they liked - Clyde almost went bust and I think were only saved when their Trust came in and creditors had to settle for partial repayment of debts.

The population of Levenmouth is a little above 30,000, Glenrothes just over 40,000, not really a compelling difference to prompt a move.

East Fifes future will be assured by some positive thinking at board level where the club can embrace and be embraced by the local community, business, youth organisations, schools, basically the various interests that make up any community.

If that can be achieved, then there will be no need to even consider a quick fix move that may not actually yield any positive benefit