Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Alex Rae,

If this is true, and i heard it is, we need to put a stop to the protests. I hope the club will let us know before the Arbroath game as i personally will not protest after the news of Alex Rae coming to bayview. If it does happen it will shoot down all the rumours regarding the insecure future of the club. I am a trust member and do believe in the trust. This news is one hell of a hump of the trusts back and leaves us free to concentrate building bridges and working with the club and helping them financially as much as possible. the sooner we get this shares situation sorted the better. I hope the board will now accept the money the trust has offered and sell the shares. The amount of shares involved is not a threat to the board, it seems it is more of a personal issue with one body not liking the other. C'mon Board, if this news regarding Rae is true let's put the past behind us and start afresh and sell the shares so more money can be given to the club to help in this new era.
I have a spring in my step today.

Re: Alex Rae,

Alex Rae,Greame Souness or John Brownlie the cancer of the club is broon and he will still try to send our players to Elgin next year with a packed lunch box he will still be dishing abuse out to women volunteers in the club are you happy about that boab?

Boaby

what you are saying is utter pish, the problem is with broon not the manager or am i mistaken

aren't u the guy that owns the wellesley inn

was once an ok pub but never been in it for a while

No, iam not happy about that, no-one deserves to be abused in the workplace and certainly not volounteers. There are hot heads in every business. If i were a volounteer and received abuse, in wi the heed and byebye, simple. At the end of the day though we cannot resolve all the abuse that goes on in our football clubs or businesses. The main aim is to get a team on the park that we can support, home and away with some hope for the future. If rumours are true and i hope they are then i will go back to the home games and get behind the team from the terracing but still campaign to put money into the club via trust shares and other avenues. This signing [if true] will certainly take the pressure off DB but a lot of damage has been done to him, especially last Saturday and i think the pressure will continue. I personally will not boycott if this signing is announced.

Is it really fifeyboab? Name is spelt wrong.

I have to agree. If some ambition and money are put into the management and playing side then that is certainly a step in the right direction.

Brown's PR skills and attitude stinks, but deep down he is only a puppet and not really in charge at the club. If he begins to listen to the Trust and other supporters and begins a process of moving the club forward.

Let's accept positive news if it comes as well as negative.

And no I am not related to or have met any of the board or their relatives or friends! Though Paul Hunter once fitted our family house alarm!

The long term goal here is success for the club, i dont mind if it takes two or three seasons to finally see a big improvement, providing excellent progress is being made! long term success can only be achieved by the removal of brown. you want a short term solution? yes bring in a manager with a high profile, let him spend some of the savings and then he may get promotion...but then what, the money is gone, the players move on!!

with brown gone cooperation with the local communities can begin, increasing the fan base, increasing opportunities for the young prospects who will have no chance under the brown regime. the reputation outside club and community will be restored after destruction by his behaviour and comments.

our 'club' will remain small under brown, eventually he will be doing physio, first aid and stewarding, he will be dictating match reports to the mail...there is absolutely no room for development with this man in charge, no matter who the manager is nor who the players are!!

browns removal is the top priority!
brown must go now!!

As far as Rae is concerned, i would much rather have a man of experience who has gone through the ups and downs of management, one who knows how to inspire a team under any circumstances, one who knows how to manage his staff, coaching, scouting, youth development etc etc, get rae on the park (or is he not out injured for good?) by all means take up an assistants job or coaching but come on you wouldnt go from say admin assistant to director in one step would you...wait a minute thats happened before, look how that turned out!

For any business to be sustainable there needs to be a well thought out medium to long term plan. (3 to 5 years)
Short term fixes, although welcome, seldom on their own allow an orderly business progression. The business objectives need not be profit but perhaps a wish to fulfill the customers needs and wants.
It can also be argued that a short term fix without the accompaniment of an agreed business plan can increase the speed of decline.

Michael, thank you. I wish there were more like you.

It is terrifying how it takes only the mention of a Rangers player's name - and not even a first team regular - to turn the heads of a few supporters. But this kind of response is no more or less than was predicted. And I suspect that the prime agitators are those who are shitting themselves about events last Saturday.

Mr Detector,

I think you are being a tad harsh. It does seem (on the basis of the "facts" we are being told) like a positive move. A full-time manager - a possible increase in player budget, does seem on the face of it that Brown is listening to the criticism of not putting our profits where we need them to be - on the pitch.

Plus - if Brown keeps on being an arse, then having a former Hun/Scotland player in charge means any protest we make against him and his masters will gain far more attention in the Old Firm biased media we enjoy in Scotland.

I have no axe to grind in favour of Brown - but remember examples like West Ham fans despising their owner and chairman 12 months ago. Now they want to give him a knighthood.

If there are positives we must accept them as such - but I agree there is a lot of water to pass under the bridge before we find out if there is actual positive news on the horizon.

No point trying to reply to your points, I could not disagree with you more. If you believe that Brown is going to change his character on the basis that Alex Rae is the manager, it's time someone told you that the moon is not in fact made of cheese.

"C'mon Board, if this news regarding Rae is true let's put the past behind us and start afresh and sell the shares so more money can be given to the club to help in this new era."

So, we get shares in the club and then you would like us to sell them because you are in agreement with the rumoured appointment of a new manager? So, the fact that members decided not to hand money over without shares in return should be overturned because you like the idea of a rumoured manager?

It is not quite as simple as building bridges and saying 'ok, a line under this and move on'. We will always be open for communication with the Club Board and definitely interested in helping the club out financially but, as it stands, we must be sold shares in return.

If the members don't want us to do that, then it can be changed at our AGM.

That was a personal blah de fecking blah...

In all seriousness Kerriann, I think you've misinterpreted Boab there.
He's appealing to the EF board to sell the trust the shares...

I should be a natural blonde!

That'll teach me to try and make a serious post whilst a 3 year old is telling me I am bad and should be taken to jail!

DOWN WITH BROWN!

If this? If that? If you think that any sop to the fans will stop us in our objective to get rid of Brown. Well think again!

For those of you who will stand down in the protest if thrown a crust of good news so that Brown can continue with his ruination of the club. Don't be shortsighted. This about more than a few good games or a good run. This is about the survival of the club.

BROWN MUST GO!

If this rumour is true (and I am sceptical) I don’t see what it would change. Rae is a good player yes, but good players do not always make good managers, certainly I could think of far worse appointments but let’s not be under any illusions that all our problems have vanished should he become manager.

In any case, this discussion is quite premature considering it’s a rumour on the internet from an “in the know” anonymous poster (how many of those have you seen), remember the Connolly rumours, that’s all I’ll say.

Lets not be distracted here.

This rumour mongering is just what Brown wants.Please everyone,lets not be sidetracked here.Until we here that any appointment is 100% accurate,we have to continue our protests.

I'm guessing In The Know and Fifeyboab are one and the same as ITK appears to have answered a question aimed at boab.

Not that this makes the rumours any more genuine, just makes it less anonymous!

The protests have to continue no matter who the new manager is otherwise it looks like we were protesting about Moffat all along.

If the Rae stuff was true (which I highly doubt) and Gray is paying the wages etc, then surely that leaves Brown in a untenable position.

Brown must go. The protests must continue and increase.

Alex Rae or Ronaldo I wont be back until Brown leaves. Yes I want a successful East Fife team, dont we all, but we wont get that with short term gains.

Look at how Brown has treated the fans in the last few seasons hes been ignorant, arrogant, rascist, lied to our faces to mention but a few. The employment of a decent player/manager wont make East Fife great, it would help, but that must start from the very top, what we need is a leader with a vision for the club and not for their own selfish gain, someone who can communicate with the fans, media, politicians, potential backers etc and Brown doesnt fit into that category or even close.

Change of manager, no.
Change the chairman then i'll return.
Leopards don't change their spots. This is panic city, keep the heat on.

Spot on Jeff.They are rattled and it shows. The protesters must not back off now.We have come this far and are just starting to gain momentum.

Black and Gold ...Not Brown.

We need to be in this for the longterm and that means until DB either changes his ways (somewhat unlikely) or he is replaced.

Even if Willie Gray were to become the EFFC leader - and I've been told he's not too keen on Trusts - that would be an improvement and at least give the possibility of better links with supporters.

Not that I'm suggesting WG is planning a coup!

These are my own views and do not in any way represent anything the Trust or any other organised group of people in the universe might think.
They should most certainly not be taken as a criticism of Mr Brown or any of his relatives, EFFC Board members, friends (?), acquaintances, fellow SFA blazer wearers or Fife Council

Simply rumours but if he is new manager it changes absolutely nowt. It's only just over a week since Moffat went and the protests following that were louder than ever against DERRICK BROWN. He is the problem.

Arbroath protests will continue.

BLACK AND GOLD NOT BROWN.

......probably.... ALEX GRAY !....chinese whispers n all that.

It's amazing even if it is the real McCoy (or Rae) how some people are going to let it cloud the real issue at stake.....the removal of Brown for the benefit of the club.....one proposed potential positive move by Brown should not mean he is in the clear...yes it is a step in the right direction. I for one will take a lot more convincing that it is not another smokescreen to try and de-rail the growing support for the protest.

For those of you who think that this one move, if true, is a signal to end the protests then you are wrong.

Remember what happened with the shares...Graham Rix episode.....confidentiality clause.....Moffats eventual sacking and the timing of it.

Every time the going gets tough. Brown comes up with a scheme to appease but ultimately one which will not please. It always seems to be a short term measure or one with a hidden agenda which rears its ugly head when the hoo -hah has died down.

THIS IS PROBABLY ANOTHER.......SO LETS KEEP THE HEAT ON AND OUT WITH BROWN.....PROTESTS MUST CONTINUE.....!!!!!

All you young guys are thinking ''Alex Rae the hun'' well for us older guys we think ''Alex Rae, ex fifer who went to Bury then returned to Scotland to captain Partick to their league cup victiory before come back to the fife'' Do you think I could be nearer the mark?

There's only one Alex Rae that's true. Too young to remember him from his first Bayview spell, but remember his second stint in the mid 70's. Was past his best by then mind, though I remember him bagging a couple of goals in a game against Meadowbank (must have been their first season in the league)

Absolutly horrified that some folk on here are calling for the protests to stop! Nothing's changed as far as im concerned, protests must continue.
black and gold NOT Brown!

I can say without fear of contradiction that the original Alex Rae is a tactical genius, if you want to match his talents against the Rangers version. We could do a lot worse than the original.

Sorry about the subterfuge, i was just trying to deliver what i think is good news without my "mole" finding out i blabbed. Seems i am not that much of a schemer eh!.
My mole swears this is true regarding Rae and i feel that Willie Gray should be applauded if it is realised. I think that Db will realise that this is how a club should be led, with business men who are prepared to put up the money for team improvement, maybe he will stand down and let Gray takeover as chairman, i don't know. If he wants to be chairmen in name only and fulfill his sfa duties and let Gray take the club into a better future, then fine by me. I used to get into big arguments with fellow supporters years ago who used to slag the players instead of supporting and encouraging them, close to fighting sometimes. No one slagged the board then [mr Baxter] It's only the board that get it now and i admit i am one of the protesters, it even got too bad for me to continue going to the games.
That's the type of guy i am, it takes a lot to get me riled. Having said that, everybody deserves a chance and i think our supporters in the past have a reputation for being more fickle than most. What i am trying to say is, i want a team on the park i can support, who play with pride for the jersey and players who are fighting to win every game, whether a cup tie or league match. For that we need a bit more quality on the park as fighting spirit alone is not enough. If there is a reasonable budget that extra quality can be provided. If that means a rookie manager with a budget to bring in that extra quality, then i will support him and the team. Alex Rae is already being criticised before anything is confirmed, let's leave it now until confirmation and if he does come before the end of the season, even at 37 he will make difference on the park. Think about it, he would improve any 1st/2nd division team, so he will definately improve ours.
I predict this appointment [if true] will divide the protesters.
"MY OPINION ONLY WHICH DOES NOT REFLECT THE OPINION OF MY WIFE, SON AND DAUGHTER AND THE COMPANY I WORK FOR. NOT TO MENTION MY NEPHEWS WHO ARE RANGERS/CELTIC SUPPORTERS AND MY BROTHER IN LAW WHO SUPPORTS BURNTISLAND SHIPYARD"

Jim Baxter got slated plenty of times by many fans during his chairmanship, especially in the late 80's early 90's when Murray was manager. There were times when he wanted nothing to do with fans and was in fact openly hostile to them on occasions. That said he was a true East Fife man, genuinely cared about the club and did bring Steve Archibald to Bayview (doesn't seem real now mind). Those first two points cannot in any way be said to apply to Derrick Brown.

I agree with you Boab about what I'd like to see on the field. I just want to turn up and enjoy my club palying football again.

The appointment of someone like Rae (and if he was full time) would show the club is ambitious.

If Gray is seen to the be main man behind this then you have to ask why though and this does concern me.

If he's just wanting to say get it up ye to the Rovers, then excellent.

But why should Brown stay as Chairman and what does he bring to the Club?

Also, how would Gray and the Turst work together in the future?

Believe me, you're better off with Brown than Gray. That should tell you all you need to know.

Mark my words...

You obviously don't know Brown mate. Or maybe you do...

Fifeyboab, you seem like a nice guy, but you have no idea.

You are entitled to your own position, weak though it may be in the face of what the club's supporters are trying to achieve in the name of the famous old club. But look back at your first post:

"We need to put a stop to the protests." Then later on you admit "I don't know" what's happening in the boardroom. So why call for the protests to be called off?

Many, many of your fellow supporetrs are doing all they can to ensure that the club has a long-term future beyond Alex Rae, Willie Gray or whatver blow-in is supposed to be arriving next on his white charger. "We need to put a stop to the protests" is a ridiculous demand on the basis of a rumour you have heard, which, even if true, would change nothing.

As was predicted so many times, sacrificing the manager will blind the short-sighted and buy the chairman breathing space. This is the time to stand firm, not show weakness. How long before the chairman walks all over you again? I'll set my watch.

B.D. I like u Too.
I never said "we need to put a stop to the protests" I said that we cannot continue with the protest if ambition like this is shown!! It is only a very strong rumour at the moment and the person who told me {reliably] has no connection with the club, so it is not a red herring from them.
I also said i would not continue to protest if rumour becomes fact. I stand by this. If a new era is beginning we need to stop the distraction of fans protesting outside when a new manager is onboard, especially a manager who is starting off a new career. He needs our full support and to be given every chance to succeed, not standing on the touchline wondering what the hell he has gotten himself into.
The Brown out campaign can continue down other avenues.
I will be at Arbroath on Sat' with the rest of you and i will be doing the same as last week until i hear that this appointment is confirmed. If appointment confirmed, i will not protest. If however it is a scam, then that will make it even worse.

I'm the 1001st person to look at this