Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
FAO Jim Corstorphine

Jim,

7 straight defeats - is this our worst run ever in competitive matches? If not..what is...and when?

Re: FAO Jim Corstorphine

Surely the Jimmy Bone debacle in the First Division in 96-97 is much, much worse than 7 defeats in a row??

Grim is correct. The record run of consecutive defeats is actually SIXTEEN!
After we beat Falkirk 3-1 at Bayview on 5th October 1996 without a manager, Jimmy Bone took charge for our next match against Partick Thistle at Firhill, which was lost 6-0. League defeats then followed against St Mirren (1-4), Airdrieonians (0-4), St Johnstone (0-3), Stirling Albion (1-2), Falkirk (1-2), Dundee (1-2), Morton (0-3), Dundee (0-7), Clydebank (0-2), St Mirren (0-3), Dundee (0-6), Stirling Albion (1-3), Partick Thistle (1-3), Morton (0-2), Falkirk (0-2), before finally managing to break the sequence with a 3-1 Scottish Cup win against Queen's Park at Hampden on 25th January 1997.
It was to be 10th May, however, before we managed another win in the league, when Clydebank were beaten 4-0 at Boghead. We actually went 28 consecutive league matches without a win!

Jim could you email me
cheers kenny

Jim
Was the Dundee game not 1-7. I seem to remember Stefan Winiarski scoring a late consolation, and then celebrating as if he had scored the winner in a cup final.

My mistake, Ritchie.
I can actually remember Winiarski's goal - a cracker of a long range effort!
BTW that is our record home defeat - and it's happened twice. Montrose beat us 7-1 at Bayview in February 1976.

Jim, is this run of results our worst in the bottom/lowest division? And what is the fewest number of draws we have had in a season? Only two this year, so far.

Hmmm ...
Doug - if I get a spare couple of hours at the weekend I'll look back my records.

Jim

See the game we won against Falkirk, am I right in thinking that was the one where Falkirk had Chris Waddle playing for them.

Remmeber that as Chris Waddle was one of my favourite players that up til then I had only seen on the telly

Yes it was, Stewart. I took a photo of him with a 35mm disposable camera about to take a corner. It's on page 215 of my book.

There you go, a Selkirk Fifer, and I thought I had been the only one when I lived there late 80's early 90's. I still have a flat I rent out in Selkirk

Jim, this may save you a search, as regards draws the lowest for a season is 3 - this happened in 26/7 , 34/5 , 39/0 , 42/3, 47/8 , 48/9 , 51/2 , 57/8 ,

Worst run in lowest league - I'll go for season 59/0 when we failed to win any of the final 15 games of the season going from January 16th to April 23rd with 2 draws and 13 defeats, if you add the first 4 games of season 60/1 that's 19 games with only 3 draws. Eventually winning again on Sept 3rd.

Happy days indeed, what do they say about stats ?

Name two other World Cup semi-finalists to play at Bayview?

Beckham and ScholeS??

Bobby Charlton, Gordon Banks

Sir Alf! I salute you...

Did Gordon Banks not play a half for us

Thanks Rossco (and Jim for your offer).
See - things can always be much worse!