Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
My AFC Wimbledon visit

I always had a soft spot for Wimbledon in the 90's and even managed to get a shirt once (they were like hen's teeth to find), I was sad to see what happened when they were bought over and moved to Milton Keynes where they became "MK Franchise", they have tumbled down the leagues since and seem to have no significant future in the English game. A failed venture if ever i've seen one.

The great thing to come out of this sad scenario was AFC Wimbledon, a team built by the fans they left behind, a true grassroots club that have demonstrated the benefits of fans participation, they are a model side for the future of the game.

I have finally made arrangements to travel to London next month to the Fan's Stadium and see them play for the first time.

I hope to meet with many supporters, particularly trust members to build bridges with our trust at East Fife. Considering the problems we face at present it will be good to talk to Don's fans who have seen it all before.

AFC Wimbledon and the democratic supporter-run set up they have in place is the perfect model for the future of football clubs of all sizes, I look forward to the day where we will find ourselves in a similar position at Bayview!

Re: My AFC Wimbledon visit

For more details see http://www.thefansstadium.org/ and http://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/

Wish the fans' Wimbledon all the best but I thought the move of their team to Milton Keynes was also justified.

Like Clyde and Livvy, it made sense to move struggling teams out of overcrowded cities to where the people are.

Incidentally how are the fans Man United doing - after the Glazer takeover?

Fifelichtie, I couldn't disagree more.
By all means teams from any city/area should be allowed to find their level in a pyramid system but killing a club because the "franchise" would make more money elsewhere is shocking.

FC United is a different case but they seem to doing ok with average crowds of a couple of thousand.

I agree Tam, in fact I belive there is only three leagues between MK Franchise and AFC Wimbledon now, the Dons can still reach the play offs in the Rymans perm, whilst MKD look like being relegated to League 2. This could mean only the Conference National will seperate them, it's only a matter of time before AFC pass them on their way up whilst MKD do not have much of a future in the English game.

I went to a couple of FC United of Mancherster games at the start of the seasson, the atmosphere was amazing and it was well reasonable to get into. The are currently top of their league by a mile and attendence is now around the 4000-5000 mark i think.

http://www.fc-utd.co.uk/

"Like Clyde and Livvy, it made sense to move struggling teams out of overcrowded cities to where the people are. "

Not sure it's as simple as that. It depends on how you answer what might seem a silly question: what is a football club? It's not the actual team because that changes fairly rapidly; it's not the management for the same reason; it's not the directors or chairman; it's not just where it plays as that's a bit meaningless. If you assume it's just the owners (ie the shareholders) as does our beloved chairman then it's a very narrow definition.

So does it involve something a bit nebulous like "community" or "supporters"? I think it does and in fact that these are the most important elements.

So simply moving the ground/club may be a valid business decision by definition you're destroying the original club and creating another. Maybe that's appropriate but it's not the same as saving the club.

Eugene you did it again. Your last sentence hit the nail on the head. Football clubs are as much about tradition as anything and any move destroys part of that tradition. I, like many fans I have heard expressing their dislike of the new ground (souless comes to mind), do not enjoy supporting my team away from their true home.

Someone made a lot of money from the move. I wonder who? And there is still money to be made from the sale of the new ground but will it go to the club or in some pockets. It would be a nice pension fund for DB and others.

Hell I would like to reap the reward of putting my money where my mouth is but Football Clubs are about more than profit. That is why on another post I have suggested that the SFA take some action to promote community involvement.

Now why are you not on the mound?

Combination of ill health, business travel and moving house.

Eugene’s comment with regard to the vital importance of the local ‘community’ and the ‘supporters’ is quite correct.

I spent many a pleasant Saturday afternoon in the late 80’s and early 90’s at Plough Lane. There was a definite sense of community and local identity among the supporters who deeply cared for their club (witness the success of AFC Wimbledon).

The club’s decision to move the team to Selhurst Park was, in my opinion, the first nail in the coffin. Many fans would have preferred to go to Craven Cottage or Stamford Bridge, as there would have been better rail and Underground links from Wimbledon. Certainly, after the Taylor Report (?), the club needed to have an all seated stadium. However, the relationship with Merton Council was very poor and it was clear that the club would never be given access to land in the area to build a suitable stadium. The NIMBY attitude was clearly in operation. Nevertheless, I always sensed that the Wimbledon board, despite its claims to the fans, was actually quite happy playing in SE London and never made much of an effort to bring the Dons home to SW19. When the fortunes of the club dwindled, the fan based (already badly eroded) disintegrated, and so the Napoleonic retreat to Milton Keynes was inevitable.

More power to AFC Wimbledon.

Even now, the smell of fried onions transports me back to Plough Lane, the Crazy Gang and the burger stand.

Thanks for the support Igor (and others). We have a chap who collects details of non AFCW fans who come to our home games, so make sure you wear your colours. Shirt and scarf would be great! One of my mates I stand with has his roots in Fife (Pittenweem)and his cousin is the seemingly legendary Davie Bowman! Head for the Kingston Road End (this is where he stands and is opposite the Tempest End which is where most of our fans congregate. He has muscular dystrophy so cannot make the steps at the other end. The KR End is affectionately known as the West Bank after the home end at Plough Lane! Introduce yourself or ask for me in the back bar and I'll intorduce you to Graeme and his ma (he is very Saff London while Jenny is still 100% Scottish!). All the best and look forward to seeing you when you are down in the smog ;-)

HI the only scottish team I have actually seen live (twice) is East Fife must have been about 12 years ago now??? Over an xmas and new year when you went up, I wore my Wimbledon scarf, must drag out the programmes!! I was made very welcome and can still remember how good those bovril pies were on ac old new years eve! (although the whisky and iron bru warmed me up more!!)We also have someone coming from Paisley for the same game be good to meet both of u and buy you a drink! good luck with your fight im always keeping na eye on you, for others their scottish team is Celtic or Rangers mine is East Fife because of the welcome I got all those years ago, and because yours is the only football ground in Scotland ive ever been to!

Thanks for the kind words about AFC Wimbledon. Although, by birth a Queen of the South fan, I have lived down South since 1983 and have followed Wimbledon FC and AFC Wimbledon since then. Reading these posts has also made me nostalgic for the Plough Lane, the West bank, the smell of the burgers and thast crazy gand spirit that was so special.

Unfortuntaely Igor, I will not be at the East Thurrock game on the 15th April as I'm back in Scotland and will be at QOS v St Johnstone. I have contacted the club though, so hopefully you will get a warm welcome.

Spartacus, I have also managed to get to a couple of FCUM matches. The atmosphere is indeed incredible, good luck to those Manchester United fans who support FCUM.

Most importantly, good luck to East Fife fans in your battles with your owner. You have my admiration and support!