Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Jinky!

Re: Jinky!

The best player I have ever seen

I`ve never seen him play because i`m only 16 but i used to be his paperboy only last year he was a nice man.Thoughts go out to his family.Sad day for scottish football.

Pure class, great entertainer, thanks for the memories, another real legend gone.

i had his mobile number as well.

Never heard a bad word against wee Jinky in all my 42 years on this planet. Watched Jim Craig interviewing him tonight and what a lovely guy. Spent his fitba career running at big glaekit defenders, getting clattered but dusting himself down and doing it again and again.
An ordinary working class boy who became extraordinary. A lesson to us all...

One of the best footballers I have ever seen and one of the shortest tempers. I remember Jock Stien walking on the pitch at Easter Road to calm him down just yards from me.

It was an honour to see him play at the peak of his career.

I am not great on dates but saw him beat Emlyn Hughes
so many times in a Scotland v England game at Hampden that Jinky should have been allowed to take Hughes home to put on his sideboard.

I remember seeing 'Jinky' in quite a few games, including the 2-2 draw with East Fife at Bayview in 1973.
After he signed for Dundee in 1977, I remember leaning on a crush barrier at a Dundee match (can't remember where), and being aware of someone taking up position next to me before the game started.
When I looked to the side, standing next to me was none other than the wee man himself, dressed in Dundee blazer and flannels. Being past his best by this time, he obviously hadn't been picked to play that day and decided to watch the game from the terracing!
RIP, Jimmy Johnstone, one of the most exciting players I've ever had the pleasure to watch - even though I was usually supporting the other side when he was playing!!

when was the last time JJ played at Bayview?
Didn't he turn out for a Celtic all-star side in the early 80s?

You may be confusing two games, neither of which featured Jimmy Johnstone.
1. Brian Jenkins testimonial in 1985-86 versus a Celtic XI
2. John Martis XI v Fife all stars in 1975. Dixie Deans played in this game.

I might be mistaken but I think Johnstone last appeared at Bayview in a midweek game towards the end of the 1973-74 season. East Fife took the lead but ended up losing 6-1. Possibly the only time Bertie Miller scored with a header!
Don't think he ever played for Dundee against us, but I may be wrong...

Who played for the John Martis X1. Now there was a great player as good as Jake Young

From memory:

Bobby Charlton
Dixie Deans
Willie Mathieson
Tommy Gemmell?

I'll check when I get back...

John Martis XI 2 Fife Select 6 Att. 3,073

MARTIS XI: McGarr (EF), Mathieson (Rangers), Gemmell (Dundee), Clougherty, Martis (Both EF), Stanton (Hibs), Aird (Hearts), Clarke (EF), Deans (Celtic), Charlton (Preston), Miller (EF) SUBS: Gillies, Kinnear, Rutherford (all EF), Karlsen (Dunfermline)

FIFE SELECT: McDermott (RR), Scott (Dun), Cairns (Cow), Kinninmonth (Dun), Taylor (RR), Hamilton (Dun), Laing (Cow), Conn (RR), Mackie (Dun), Wallace (RR), Harrow (Cow) SUBS: Honeyman, Martin (both EF)

Four of the starting line-up of Fife Select went on to play for the Fife. One of them plus one other joined the coaching staff for a short spell.

Thanks for the info make yo weep when compare to today.

I remember that match, I've still got the program somewhere.

Total respect to the wee man if only there were guys like him now eh!!! IF ONLY