Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
A month down the line

I was asked the other day if I had any regrets about resigning and although my answer was an immediate NO it did cause me to reflect somewhat.
I miss working with Leona,Carolyn and all the volunteers especially out on the pitch with Fifer Dov and Fifer4life.
I miss working with the management and players.It was hard work but a big honour.
I miss the banter over a couple of cans withsome of my ex-collegues especially Andy and Davie.
I thought that I would be able to pop in to see Leona and the rest but I was told that the Board needed to know when I was at the stadium so I took the hint and have not been back.
However of all the major decisions I have been involved in whilst a Director the only one that was in the best interest of the Club was my decision to resign.Any other decision was taken in the best interest of the Board in general and the Chairman in particular. When argueing the case to sell EFST shares I was told if "they" get in we could all lose our places on the board and the case was lost.
NO, not for one minute have I regretted my resignation ,I only regret not doing it sooner.
I would like to remind Andy ,Davie and Kenny that it is their duty to do what is right for EFFC before what is right for them.In a way I may have made things harder for them as I should imagine Derrick is doing his utmost to keep them sweet.
I have no personal arguement with Derrick but due to self interest and downright incompetence he has taken us almost to the point on no return.Please see sense Board before it is too late.
Perhaps the next work I do for the Club will be to close the door behind Derrick as he leaves the Stadium for the last time or at least be in the queue.

Re: A month down the line

Davie,Kenny and Andy...Please,please do the right thing and resign.EFFC is bigger than all of us.
We can and will go on and become stronger..without Derrick Brown.You guys can also be part of our revival,only if you do the right thing and do what is best for East Fife Football Club.

It must have been a very hard decision to make Davie but as you say a month down the line it was still the right decision.

It's easy for me to shout my mouth off at games not knowing everything that goes on behind the scenes but listening to yourself who has been on the inside so to speak for over a year my fears are justified.

The feeling of "if they get in we could all lose our places on the board" is bizarre. I don't know how many times Derrick needed telling that The EFST did not apply for shares with strings attached despite Derricks claims that they did. His disgraceful manner at The AGM for me was the confirmation that this is a club with a one man board. To your credit you got out after unfortunately failing in your effort to rid the club of Derricks Chairmanship.

I have a feeling that things will change for the better fairly soon and repeat my plea to the current board to see sense and do the needfull. We as supporters are doing our bit how about you guys show you can make your own decisions and get Derrick out.

I also have a feeling that things will change for the better in the foreseeable future.

Hopefully in a wee while everyone can go inside the ground happy with the clubs management and direction.

good post dave. i wish too that you had quit earlier.

but puzzled that you say you have no personal arguement with Derrick. you say that he has almost sunk the club - the club you love, and the club you invested a fortune in - due to self interest and downright incompetence. it seems you were ignored by him at every turn, and he even had a go at you when you resigned. if all of that's not personal, i don't know what is. you certainly could not call it professional.

keep up the pressure. the more people know about the way brown 'works' at bayview (fear tactics and bullying over the trust shares application) the closer he is shoved to the exit door

Quote from Dave M

"Perhaps the next work I do for the Club will be to close the door behind Derrick as he leaves the Stadium for the last time or at least be in the queue. "

That'll be a bloody long queue, let me tell you!

An interesting post, Dave, but surely also quite improper. Over the years, and particularly over the past three or four years, many Directors have resigned, most of them on principle and all of them respecting their duty of confidentiality to the company. So should you have done. It goes with the territory of being a company director.

On top of that it is scandalous that you should concede that whilst a Director you were knowingly taking decisions that were other than in the interests of the club! I could scarcely believe what I was reading. If that was the case then it certainly was in the club's best interests when you resigned!

Sorry, Dave. You're a good and genuine guy, but you've handled this entirely wrongly.

its undeniable that dave should have quit much earlier, and in fact he should never have joined the merry gang in the first place. both show serious errors of judgment. but if he can embarrass the chairman with his glimpses of life in the boardroom, why try to gag him? in extreme circumstances such as these, there is more honour in trying to achieve change than there will ever be in covering up scandals in the name of 'confidence'

whistleblowing happens in every split boardroom in the country, from a third division football club to ICI and microsoft. read the newspapers, watch the television news. you can't miss the fall-out when directors clash. those who have left bayview in protest but chose to stay silent clearly value their dignity more than they value East Fife FC. and sadly in some cases, that will be no surprise. but others should be ashamed of how they have been just as complicit as the current boardroom stooges, by saying nothing

Companies House,

I'd take one honest and upfront guy like Davie Marshall over a hundred goons who refuse to speak their minds and tell the truth, we've had enough of this "confidential" nonsense from Derrick Brown, the last thing we need is for those trying to remove him to be doing the same. So well done Davie for telling it like it is, I look forward to the day when you return to the board after this mess is sorted out.

Companies House
Being respective of opinions I certainly respect yours it being put in such a respectful manner.I knew there would be people out there who believed that I was handling this all wrong and am glad that you have said so.If you tell me what you think I should or should not be doing then I will explain why I have taken the action I have.
I totally agree that some of the decision I took as a Director were as you say "scandalous". On the evening I resigned the first thing I did was apologise for that very fact.I fully accept my part in the Club,s decline.Yes you are correct when you say that it was probably in the club,s best interest when I resigned.The great sadness is that the resignations stopped with me.
I received a letter from Companies House re the company accounts and asked for assurances that I would hear no more from them.I am only too glad that it is your good self and not the real thing.
If you tell me what you think my course of action should have been I,ll get back to you.

The way some give a slant to the facts in the case of DM's directorship is ludicrous.

To my mind the facts are these:

1. DM was offered a directorship in the hope that he could provide a bridge between the board and the fans, who's growing dissent was causing concern to the chairman. ( Let's face it he is the only one on the board who makes any decisions. The others just follow along.).

2. DM accepted the offer as in his own words he was following a dream. I am sure he also hoped to improve relations between the club and its supporters.

3. However I am sure not long into his time on the board he began to realise that the problem was not all down to the supporters. This was demonstrably highlighted when the second tranche of shares was not granted to the trust.

4. After this relations deteriorated rapidly despite his efforts and this resulting in him putting forward a motion of no confidence. This did not gain any support as the rest of the board played follow our leader right or wrong as they had been doing for quite some time.

5. Dave had no option but to resign and continue the fight to save EFFC from the outside.

6. I am of the opinion that all actions take by companies should in the main be open and above board. However I recognise that I am Idealist but this should not stop others highlighting 'dirty' deeds that happen. The sooner we can stop those that manipulate things to serve their self interest and put their misdeeds up for public show the better.

your own interpretation is open to question, Go For It

dave marshall paid £10000 to become a director. the position was not a gift, so it is tsretching the point to say he accepted an offer. more like brown gladly accepted the easiest £10000 he has ever made

i also find it hard to believe that "not long into his time on the board he began to realise that the problem was not all down to the supporters." a blind man could see this within weeks of brown taking over three years ago

having said all that, fair play to him for - as igor says - telling it like it is. if it further galvanises the supporters, more power to you dave.