Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
How's about this for an idea?

At present we play each team in the league four times over the course of a season. For many clubs, including ourselves, the season can be as good as finished by Christmas, leaving a long wait until the new season comes along at the end of the summer.
Why not split the league season in two?
By playing each team in the league once home and once away, we'd play 18 league games before the end of December. We then have promotion and relegation as normal, then a fresh start in January with everything to play for again.
Obviously cup competitions would carry on as normal.
Any views on this?

Re: How's about this for an idea?

I might be reading your wrongly, but are you saying instead of one season of 36 games (over 12 months), we have two seasons of 18 games (over 12 months)?

I'm not sure about teams having nothing to play for. 70% of the 1st division, 80% of the 2nd division, and 60% of the 3rd all have something to play for at the moment.

Syncronisation between SPL and 1st divsion may be troublesome too.

Aye, that was the idea. To have two LEAGUE seasons over a 12 month period. I understand what you're saying about the clubs who are still in with a shout of promotion or a play off spot at this stage of the current season, but with my idea it could well be that ALL clubs were still in with a chance of achieving something even though it's late March.
As for the interaction between the First Division and the SPL, promotion could be decided with a play off in May between the team who won the July to December league and the team who won the January to May league. Of course, if the same team won both tournaments, there would be no need for a play off.
It was just an idea aimed at getting a bit of debate going, but it looks like you're the only person willing to enter the discussion, I-10!

Not really sure I understand it but so that you do not feel ignored and for the sake of arguement - what happens if there is a huge fixture backlog created during December.

Would I be right in assuming that East Fife would then be out of the promotion hunt after 9 games. At the moment I'm dreaming of promotion for the first 18 games are you going to take my dream away?

We need to get rid of these ludicrous 4 x 10 team leagues. I would go back to the old 2 division set up with an 18 team top league and a 22 team lower tier. You could then have the same play off set up as in England with 3 down from the top league, top 2 up from league 2 with the next 4 in the play-offs. A pyramid system should also be structured to allow a non-leaguer to come in automatically at the expense of the East Stirling's of this world (though this might well see us demoted if Broon stays around). It'll never happen of course.