Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
The Brown Legacy

After watching another disappointing display yesterday, I sat and watched the promotion season DVD last night. It is difficult to believe how far we have fallen in three seasons. I sat and watched the joy on the faces of the supporters, the players and the management at the final whistle of the Queens Park game, all this interspersed by Andy English's cheers and shouts and remembered my reactions being very similar. Having stood on the mound area for the last fifteen minutes of yesterdays game I was able to compare the crowd in the stand yesterday to the full house shown on the DVD. I saw joy on the faces of supporters, many who are still attending games either in the stand or on the mound, and many who are not. I was able to here the loud chorus of chants of East Fife, East Fife in that game and also the "we are top of the league" chants from the previous matches. I also remember attending Cappielow, and being part of 100 - 150 travelling support in a match where the Fife lead 1-0 for most of the match only to concede a late goal, but the megre Fife support out singing the massed ranks of 2700 Morton supporters. The last two seasons have been pretty poor, however this season has to take the biscuit, at least before there was always hope, however with Derrick Brown in charge we have no hope. I suggest that Derrick does what I did last night, watch the promotion DVD, then sit and contemplate what his part in our downfall has been. At some point we all have to take stock of our actions and if he is honest, and the East Fife supporter he says he is, then there is only one course of action to take, stand aside a let someone who is better qualified for the job take over.

Re: The Brown Legacy

I had previously thought that Derrick Brown (and his wife) would be both disgusted and embarrassed at what he has done to this great club in the short space of two years. It's pretty incredible that one man can have such a negative, poisoned effect on an entire football club. Unfortunately the only people who seem unable to see this is Brown and his directors.

Yesterday we had 60+ loyal supporters on the mound, later in the game even more loyal supporters walked out in unity against Browns rule, yet he sat there in his ivory tower, unmoved, his head firmly buried in the sand.

"the is no crisis at this club"

There is so much evidence to refute this claim that I wouldn't even know where to start.

Its a tragic situation, but our support will emerge from this more united than we ever were before, we are all learning and these experiences will set us in good stead for the future when we not only remove Derrick Brown, but set about rebuilding this club and putting our skills and ideas together to make East Fife the force in football that we once were. The club that we were all proud of, and we will be again!

We are in the scariest position that could ever be thought of for our football club.

Today, I nothing but total fear for the future of our club.

However, I WILL snap out of it soon and I look forward to the day when the fans regain pride in THEIR club and control is taken by the (IMO) best supporters in the land. By this, I do not mean an unorganised takeover but I would welcome a consortium made up of local business people, people with community interests and of course, dedicated East Fife supporters who can work to take a dying club forward to survival and beyond. The resources for this are bound to be there if we all work hard enough.

I look forward to the day where all I have to do is go to methil to watch a game of football and not have crap to worry about. Crap which is created by the pests who are killing OUR club.

Personal views blahdeblahdeblah.

The Brown Legacy is supported by a gutless shower disguised as major shareholders. Perhaps the attention should be turned on them. A concentrated media effort exposing the apathy shown by these anonymous spineless cowards could perhaps attract more attention. Photographs of them and the empty stadium, photographs of their association with brown and his alleged racist, sexist remarks.Association of them with a slimeball attacking good causes. Spin on his previous harmonious relationship with a convicted sex offender. In other words evidence based spotlight on his shortcomings.

I agree with Kerriann, it will be a huge job bringing our Club back to life again and it will take more than one season to sort out the wreckage.
The departure of Greg Shaw is the light at the end of the tunnel and we should take a lot of heart from that.

Jim

Can you expand your comment regarding Greg Shaw's departure please?

After the Shaw resignation, the Arbroath game and even the away games now become truly MASSIVE for the fans to somehow rally against Brown on a scale larger than seen before, let's not let the momentum drop with the press either.

I would urge everyone to try and make the East Stirling match next week.We will have an ideal oppurtunity to get close to Brown and his cowardly followers.
There aren`t much games left,so we must make the absolute most of what is remaining.

Let`s confornt these b@stards face on.

Okay so lets suppose that the major shareholders are made to see the error of their ways, who do you suppose would want to take over the mantle of chairman at bayview and where would the board come from.

Who is going to arrange for business people to come together to thrash out a plan to save the club. Where are these business people going to come from. What would be in it for them. If things dont go the way the fans liked would they too be faced with aduse each week.

Lets have some names of people good enough and willing enough to take over at the helm.

I'm not happy with the current situation but I'm not sure there's anyone out there capable of leading us to the promised land.

I think that's a fair concern about who would take over, but I don't think it's fair to assume they would get abuse as soon as the fans didn't get what they want. The fans have shown great patience (including attending umpteen pointless meetings) before finally taking direct action, and I feel they've acted with great dignity and restraint throughout the period of protest.

Fair point, you're right Undisputed but we need to have more of an idea of where we're going to end up than we do at the moment. We've shown great ingenuity and determination to take this protest this far but now I fear we're lacking direction.

It's said that in the land of the blind the one eye'd man is king and in this case thats exactly what we've got.

anon

Arwe you seriously suggesting that those who may be interested in taking the club over identify themselves on this site?

No sane business person would ever reveal that sort of intention until of course the deal was done!

No I'm not suggesting that they reveal their identity on this site, they probably don't read this site.

Usually you hear some gossip be it in the ground or more recently on the mound. However, no one has ever mentioned any ''name'' who would be interested in being a part of our club.

That for me is worrying, the trail has gone cold, deadbeats at the helm, the futures not good.

For me it's reassuring. Serious players maintain confidentiality

anon, there is no need to worry. just about every person on the share register would be a more suitable chairman than brown. including the deceased.

there are plenty of candidates on the register who would make fine chairmen. and there are plenty of other interested parties who would also jump at the chance if the current regime was removed

remember that when brown goes, chances are they will all go. they all owe their position to him.

i could name a new board right now. it might not take us to the promised land, but it would take us through the first few stages. first, get brown out. finding a replacement would be a joy of a 'problem'

Michael I see Greg Shaw's departure as the first big dent in Derrick's armour. That's the first knock down in this fight.
As for the other posts they all seem to be saying we need a plan B.
I feel some contact has to be made with the shareholders who hold the large amounts of shares. How do our experts in this field suggest how it could be done???

Jim,
Matthew,Dave and Stevie were informally elected as an action group at the recent meeting in the Wellesley Inn. Get in touch with them as I am sure they already have ideas developing as to how the protest should move forward.

Jim

Thanks. Understood.

All
Eugene's points are extremely valid in my view.