Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Quotes that apply to the protests

"Once all struggle is grasped, miracles are possible."

Mao Tse-Tung

Re: Quotes that apply to the protests

The Tiananmen Square Protests of 1989, also known as the Tiananmen Square Massacre, June 4th Incident, or "Political Turmoil between Spring and Summer of 1989" by the Chinese government, were a series of student-led demonstrations in the People's Republic of China which occurred between April 15, 1989 and June 4, 1989.

The protest is named after the location of the forceful suppression of the movement in Tian'anmen Square, Beijing by the People's Liberation Army. The protestors came from disparate groups, ranging from intellectuals who believed the Communist Party-led government was too corrupt and repressive, to urban workers who believed Chinese economic reform had gone too far and that the resulting rampant inflation and widespread unemployment was threatening their livelihoods.

After the protestors defied government calls to disperse, a split emerged within the Communist Party on how to respond to the protestors. Out of the party turmoil, a hardline faction emerged and the decision was made to supress the protestors by force, rather than to heed their demands.

On May 20 the government declared martial law and on the night of June 3 and the early morning of June 4, Army tanks and infantry were sent into Tian'anmen Square to crush the protest. Estimates of civilian deaths vary: 400-800 (Central Intelligence Agency), 2600 (Chinese Red Cross). Injuries are generally held to have numbered from 7,000 to 10,000. Following the violence, the government conducted widespread arrests to suppress the remaining supporters of the movement, banned the foreign press and strictly controlled coverage of the events in the Chinese press. The violent suppression of the Tiananmen Square protest caused widespread international condemnation of the PRC government.

I always wanted to know that. sich a fount of information is this forum.

"It is necessary only for the good man to do nothing for evil to triumph"

Edmund Burke (attrib) 1729-97

Kerriann, as it was written a long time ago I think you can be assured that "good man" can also refer to typists!

Hey wait a minute Eugene!
What was that old American Indian proverb about sitting on the river bank long enough?

For what it's worth I agree more with your second quotation...

Fans United Will Never Be Defeated.

An unknown Wrexham fan - 2004ish

Eugene -

"Where force is necessary, there it must be applied boldly, decisively and completely. But one must know the limitations of force; one must know when to blend force with a manoeuvre; a blow with an agreement."

Leon Trotsky. What Next (1932) Chapter 14

Carefull Eugene, that guy will be back with a Kronstadt match report now.

Work is the curse of the drinking classes

"GET IT RIGHT UP YE!!"

EFFC fans to board 2006 -

“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.”
Elie Wiesel

"The problem of power is how to achieve its responsible use rather than its irresponsible and indulgent use - of how to get men of power to live for the public rather than off the public."
Robert F. Kennedy

"circumstances hell! i make circumstances"

bruce lee

"Where there is no vision.....the people perish."

if the kids are united

they will never be divided

SHAM 69

"My heart leaps up when I behold,
a rainbow in the sky"

Wordsworth

"If your breasts are too big, you will fall over......unless you wear a rucksack"
Ivor Cutler RIP

Will you smile like any Father
With your children on a Sunday hike
When you get to a sea of rubble
And they ask "What was East Fife like?"

XTC - This World Over

Okay, I paraphrased a wee bit.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde

and to turn another of wilde's quotes on it's head

Whenever people disagree with me I always feel I must be right - Derrick Brown

you can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead

stan laurel

'You cant handle the truth'
- Colonel Derrick Brown (Camp New Bayview Guantanamo, MEFO)

p.s Is there any truth in the rumour that next seasons strips will changed to Orange and Black

With a latin twist:

"Regnat populus"...The people rule.

"Unus pro omnibus, omnes pro uno"...One for all, all for one.

Controversial Irish twist (used by IRA):

"Tiocfaidh ár lá"...pronounced "Chuckhee ar law"...Our day will come!

And for the Broon:

"Nescit cedere"...He does not know how to give up.

Happened to be reading 'Glue' by Irvine Welsh this morning. Here's a short passage...

"They say that leaders always emerge, no matter what the ideals or the systems of democracy that are put in place. Well, this may or may not be true, but what is the case is that arseholes certainly do."

"East Fife Football Club does not do its business through the media" Derrick Brown at a recent fans forum