Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
A plea for sanity

The two important points to come out of the recent press releases are that simply protesting will not get rid of Derrick Brown and that the board obviously want the protests to end and are willing to meet with protestors in an attempt to sort it out.

Instead of all gnashing your teeth and getting stuck into Derrick Brown some more, why not use this oppertunity. Surely a club with Derrick Brown as chairman but with genuine input and involvement from the true supporters is preferable to the club as it is at the moment. Derrick Brown as chairman with half the support on the mound protesting.

Why not get a group of representitves to ask for a meeting with the board and try to comprimise. Going in there and demanding that Derrick stand down would be utterly pointless, why not ask for a supporters representitive on the board for example and ask for some other conditions which, if met, would signal the (temporary) end of the protests.

Everybody involved in East Fife working together is better than everybody working against each other.

My personal choice for the suporters representitives would be Dave Marshall, Matthew McLean and Allan Duthie. Whoever, it is though would have to use their head as well as their heart. The reality is that the protests are very unlikely to acheive their current aim but if the club comes out of this mess stronger than before, would that not be the best outcome?

Re: A plea for sanity

What's the point? These meetings are pointless and the only solution is for Brown to go for the sake of East Fife FC. SIMPLE!!

I have attended practically all of Mr Browns recent meetings, and if any of his previous efforts are representative of what to expect, then there is no point. He doesn't listen to anybody else's point of view, it's his way or no way. Personally up until the last meeting with all interested parties I thought a compromise could be reached, but you need both parties to be prepared to compromise and quite frankly he is not willing to!

It is anything but simple Joe. In the real world, every situation is not in black and white.

It's a good point but compromise has to work both ways.

Can you honestly see the current administration accepting a supporters representitive on the board??
Seriously?

They won't even sell shares to the Trust but have no qualms in selling them to the guy that brought Claude Anelka to Raith Rovers and was a director when they faced extinction and emotional blackmail.

This time he has stated that he wants to meet with protestors, the first time this has happened. By meeting with the board, what is lost?

Unless of course this has turned into a personal vendetta against Derrick Brown, which it sould never be.

From where I'm sitting it looks like for the first time in years everyone is working together not divided...

...to get him out for the good of the club.

If these people aren't "real fans" who is?

He's a prick and needs ousted

I happen to think that the Trust will be sold the second lot of shares regardless of any meeting.

The supporters rep on the board was just a suggestion, although I think it is one which I think all supporters would like to see.

This is the first sign we have seen from Derrick Brown that he wants the protests to end, as I've said before, all we can do is ask, if the conditions are not met, the protests will continue until they are or Brown is removed.

If Brown does refuse some reasonable requests, I can assure you that the protests will gather even more support.

Your problem Pedant is that you have joined in months after all your suggestions were tried and failed. Been there, done that, and Brown has not wanted to know. We didn't get to this point overnight.

But good luck to you. You're trying to save his skin, and I do have a certain amount of sympathy for you. Every time he opens his mouth, it makes your job so much harder.

I am not trying to save anyones skin. I just think that if the situation carries on as it is, the only thing to suffer will be the club. But, as long as folk are having fun......

Good points pedant. We should be the bigger people and try and curb our rage and put well thought out and constructive proposals which be can put to Brown now we have this concession.

The protests have worked - they can again. But it would be wrong of us not to use this chance to be constructive. If Broon disappoints us again then we should protest harder - but to ignore the opportunity to listen to sensible advice from knowledgable fans would make us as bad as him. And we all know that ain't the case.

Now all we have to do is agree on 3 or 4 sensible proposals - on top of the shares. Let's turn this situation around and get behind Baikie and the boys and make next season a better one.

If a meeting is arranged and common ground is set
all the protestors efforts will have been in vain,
Brown has asked for a meeting to show that he comes across as an
aproachable chairman but the long and short of it is if a meeting goes forward Brown will put his cards on the table but he will still be
pulling the strings which is wrong for our Club. Brown has asked for A(1) representative so that he can surround himself with his cronies and belittle that individual

This is my personal opinion

Sorry,but in my opinion the damage has been done.We have reached the point of no return and the only solution is for Derrick Brown to go.
If some sort of compromise is made,I would bet that some kind of conflict would arise again in the near future and we would be back to where we began.

Brown has to go,nothing else will do.

My point exactly, Brown knows his coat is on a loose
peg and now he's calling for uor help so he can remain
in his position of authority, the sooner he goes the
better

BLACK AND GOLD NOT BROWN !!!

Very simple answer:

Brown is not the right man for East Fife...he must go.

The protest is not a personal vendetta, but it is directed towards the removal of Brown - this is the first goal in a number of objectives.

Sorry Gregor but I have to jump in before someone else does.

I agree with you that Brown must go but disagree that it is not a personal vendetta. It is definately personal for all the ways he has treated people and abused his authority in the past and is still doing so. For example the latest statements were pushed through by him ( it obviously reflects his own words and I am sure even the yes-men on the board did not agree with the sentiments expressed).

For East Fife to survive and to become a success and credit to the community DB must go. He has alienated so many who could benefit the club but who have washed their hands while he is in charge. Until he goes they will remain away and I don't just mean paying fans. There will also be no one to take their place as anyone with common sense who looks at the situation at the club would be well advised to stay away.

So all the plans that DB can come up with even if they are brilliant will just wither on the vine as he definately has no ability to carry them through. His attitude also means that he will be unable to keep any who could make a success on board.

The last meeting with Brown was a complete waste of time and a farce.He had no intention of compromise then,why should now be any diferent?

Brown Out !

go for it, you make an important point. there is no getting away from the fact that the chairman's manner and attitude towards the club's fans has been taken personally. leopards don't change their spots.

your point is another reason why there is no way back. although i would have to ask, back to what? show me a single day when brown was getting it right

No problem at all go for it, my interpretation of the phrase personal vendetta must be a little different to yours...i agree completely with the reasons you state, to me a personal vendetta means that one would want to deliberately hurt (emotionally or physically) the individual in question, although i believe that there may be a deep burning desire in many of us to do so the protest should be completely professional and targetted towards removing the weakest link from such a powerful position in our football club.

regardless...he's still a big cock!!!

If Broon's proposed a meeting, then in my opinion the invitation should be accepted.

NOT because something good may come of it.

If the proposal is turned down, it's simply more ammunition for him to spout off in press statements, "oh well like I said they have no answers, unwilling to talk, nothing but troublemakers, etc,etc."

Don't give him any cheap shots.

"I am not trying to save anyones skin. I just think that if the situation carries on as it is, the only thing to suffer will be the club."

The club is suffering already and has never been so piss poor results-wise and we're a laughing stock in the media.

"But, as long as folk are having fun...... "

Pedant who the hell are you ??? You are obviously not a fan, that's for sure.

Do you not think the fans want back into the gound to watch their beloved team play football ?? You are an arse. The club might not be owned by the fans but it belongs to the fans. When that dickhead was at Cowdenbeath, all of these so-called 'non-fans' (who are now pretesting) were going all over the length and bread of the country to watch and sing-on the team (I was one of them). He's an egotistical moron who is ruining the club. He also has no communication skills, tact or charisma. Added to that he's blatantly of below average intellect (and I'm deadly serious with that point).

There is NO REASON whatsoever why the fans should even begin to think of accepting him as chairman.

As regards your farcical little jibe about it being 'fun' - well as it happens during this horrific time, the little bonus of watching that little shit be embarrased in the press every other day and watching his downfall is actually quite entertaining.

"The two important points to come out of the recent press releases are that simply protesting will not get rid of Derrick Brown and that the board obviously want the protests to end and are willing to meet with protestors in an attempt to sort it out."

no quite pedant - the press releases state that Derrick brown is not willing to go. As he is there with the backing of his shareholders, he could still be 'got rid of' by persuading his backers that he's not the man for the job.

Meetings might resolve the current hostility - but the won't fix the three years of mistakes. Derrick simply doesn't have what it takes to deliever a successfull club - he is unable to meet fan's expectations. His failing's and inabilities mean he is not the man for the job.

Time for him to go.

Tams post is spot on!!!If we give in now,it'll kick off again at some point next season and were back to square one.Hes trying to split the protest.It might seem abit strange but i beleive the East Fife supporters have gotten stronger.Theres def a better bonding towards one another.When Broons gone,this,i hope will carry us through,no matter how the team is playing.

We really are at the point of no return. Brown knows his time is up and the recent pronouncements smack of desperation on his part - a last ditch attempt to save his neck. Sure the fans could meet with him and enter into a dialogue, but these have yielded knack all in the past and are simply holding tactics on his part. He's in the quicksand and sinking fast, and now is not the time to throw him a lifeline. Sorry Derrick you've had your chance mate.

I'm afraid I have got to agree.
This is a thinly veiled holding/splitting tactic.
This has got to be seen through to the end.