Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
On Kingdom FM 5.30 tonight

Kingdom FM have been in touch regarding their earlier mistake.

They will be carrying a short piece on the protest which sadly for listeners will include me speaking.

You have been warned.

Re: On Kingdom FM 5.30 tonight

At the end of the day, I have been a Kingdom FM listener for 50 years and without my hard work we wouldn't have a radio station to listen to.

Eugene
Igor is in the huff,it should have been his turn.

Before I get slagged off completely please be kind and remember I was not speaking in a personal capacity.

And anyway I've been supporting the Trust for over 50 years and it was me that paid Kerriann's bar bill to allow the secretary's office to keep open.

I think its about time we (as a Trust) took a position on this important matter. I have emailed Kerriann for details and then i'd like us to get this sorted

Sitting in the fence is only good for getting splinters in your arse.

ps. well done Eugene

Remember folks that when I said the Trust is a democratic organisation that's exectly what we are.
If members feel their board should be doing or saying different things they simply have to tell them in the usual way.

I would urge Trust members to return comments on the questions that were emailed out last week.

Remember, it is not a vote but just so the TB know that they are representing a majority of the membership.

If you are not a member of the Trust then what? It seems they only way our views are heard is over the internet. I thought the fans were all to speak through 'one voice'. The message on the radio was not one of defiance. All who have made comments to the press are just representatives trying to bum up the trust, make it look good. I fear that supporters are loosing touch with each other. Why would anyone want to support this club. I am fairly young and already I don't want to be involved with the club or the trust. We're in a cup final, 3-0 down, we need to change the tactics. Be a bit more courageous. No way can the name of the fans be any more tainted or publicised than Browns. I'm Losing faith and trust!

I’m afraid I have to agree with Martin, I am in agreement with the current protests but feel the media and sections of our support have painted the situation as trust v the board! I am not a trust member but continue to hear what the trust have to say on the matter. Can we please distant the trust with the protest as this will only separate us in the long term!

I dont really understand the last two posts despite reading them a few times, can you guys be more specific?

What do you not understand about them? What I am saying is that I thought all the fans, even the Trust, were strongly protesting for the removal of Brown. From what I have read and the recent interview on Kingdom FM, it appears what I believe and want is far from what others want. The interview tonight stated nothing about the removal of Brown, just highlighted the need for co-operation between the trust and the board. The trust appear a distant organisation to some non-member and at times a cleek (probably the wrong spelling). The only voices which are heard are those of trust members. At home games and on the internet people have voiced their hatred of Brown and the directors, but never in all of the recent media coverage has this ambition and defiance been shown.

Martin

I'm afraid you dont appear to have a real grasp of the situation. Maybe you need to talk to Eugene face to face. I'm sure all will become clear.

Quite simple folks, the EFST is a group of people with a diversity of opinions.

If the EFST board were to align the EFST with the protest, without being asked to by our members, then what message does that convey to those among the membership who do not support the protests?

These views are personal blah blah

Our membership decide policy

When Kingdom asked me for a comment it was as Trust spokesperson and the current position with the Trust is that they have neither approved nor condemned the protests. If members feel this is not appropriate they can change it.

I'm a bit confused by comments above which say that the media have only featured comments of the Trust. The opposite is the case.

Every piece about the protest I've contributed to or been quoted it has been as an individual -The Courier, East Fife Mail, Scotsman etc. Only the Kingdom FM spoke to me in my role as Trust representative.

If anyone would like to discuss this with me in more detail please email me with a contact number and I'll happily do so.

At the end of the day, I have been a personal view for 50 years and if you think you.... erm...

Come on JDB - you've got to keep this going.

Derrick avidly believes that Trusts are only of use when their Club is in financial difficulty and therefore will do everything in their power to acheive that.He is almost certainly feeding that impression to his board and major shareholders.What the Trust needs to do ,and soon,is to show this to be the total fabrication that it is.
The majority of the Trust board members are regularly to be seen with the protesters as individuals.We can hardly be surprised when Derrick insists on seeing them solely in the role that suits him and attempt to use it to his advantage both internally and in the media.This gives rise to the Trust having to deny it,s involvement in the protests when it might be made ,by Derrick,to appear that in fact they are.
The Supporters Club has suffered somewhat because of it,s position initially over the protests but hopefully through debate and compromise with it,s members could be on the road to recovery.Only time will tell.
The Trust has constraining rules and regulations to abide bye which the S.C doesn,t have.However ,in my opinion,the Trust board needs to have a similiar debate with it members and soon before Derrick drives a wedge between them.

The position The Trust are in will become clearer following the quarterly meeting in 2 weeks time.

I think comments against The Trust by non members are bourne out of ignorance as to how a trust exists.

Plenty opportunity for non members to join up either now or on the night of the meeting.

I have to agree with DM, some of the posts on here and on P&B by Trust Board members are some what out of line with the current stance of the trust. These posts are feeding JDB with amunition, and I hate to say it, he's used it well so far.
The trust members have to make a decision on where they stand, the trust board have to be a bit more professional and keep their personal feelings away from the public eye.
And yes I'm a member of the trust.

'We can hardly be surprised when Derrick insists on seeing them solely in the role that suits him and attempt to use it to his advantage both internally and in the media.'

First off, if someone wishes to be as twisted as to assume that it is the trust doing all the bad things then, quite simply, that is their prerogative. It can only give impotence to the view of the masses.

Secondly, the Supporters Trust is a democratic organisation. The Trust board members are entitled to their personal views and this should always be the case. They are entitled to protest with other supporters and are entitled to be as concerned as any other supporter. We are not running for parliament and haven't signed the official secrets act however, there is most definitley professionalism within the board as there is probably alot more that could be discussed but hasn't been.

I didn't join the Trust to be confrontational or to have a moan about the way things are run at the club. Our ideal is to work with the club and assist the club. Unfortunately, circumstances have prevented our ultimate aim.

I am, like any member, passionate about the club and want a viable future for the club. I am perfectly entitled to express any views I have and always post whether or not they are personal. If someone wishes to take this in the wrong context that is up to them.

THE VIEWS POSTED ABOVE ARE NOT REPRESENTATIVE OF THE TRUST AND DO NOT, AT ANY POINT AND NO MATTER HOW IT IS TWISTED, REPRESENT ANY VIEWS OF THE TRUST BOARD. OK, GOT THAT? SHOULD I PUT IT ANOTHER WAY - THIS POST HAS NOWT TO DO WITH EFST AND THE VIEWS ARE PERSONAL BECAUSE EVEN THOUGH I AM ON THE TRUST BOARD, I AM STILL ALLOWED MY OWN THOUGHTS AND OPINIONS.

'impotence to the masses'

WTF am I on about?! I should be banned from typing!

Spot on K

I am a member of all sorts of groups based around EF and the SFA but you will still see me on the mound and wearing the t shirt in my personal capacity.

This is not politics, this is grass roots supporters standing up for what they think is right and in the meantime refusing to subsidise what they believe is wrong.

Others have a different view and that's fine too.

Sorry folks I have to disagree, you can't have your cake and eat it.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not have a dig at anybody in particular, personnel views are very much allowed in a democratic body but I feel that when a person holds office of responsibility he/she has do be make sure that what they say in public can not be used against the whole.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Perception of public office and its obligations are changing. Recent academic research suggests that honesty (admitting to sex scandal/homosexuality etc for example) rather than perceived "principle" is valued more by people.

It's a strange old world.

Care to elaborate on this gay sex scandal Mike?

Have to agree with Brian L.Theres certin people on the trust that i think Broon has no time for whats so ever.I don't think he will ever work with them.He has used this weapon well.I think thats why the trust never got the full qouta ov there shares.He has used the 2 or 3 trust board members who critisise him and tainted the other members with there brush.Prob alot ov other supporters that won't get in the "politics" ov it all,feel the same.I am not in the trust but i feel the only way forward for this club is to get a rep from them on the board along with other organisations e.g supporters group,young Fifers,millie club.The quiker Broons out the faster,i hope, this will happen.The faster we get everyones thoughts zoomed in on ONE thing(E.F.F.C)the faster we can look forward to a BETTER FUTURE!!!!

anon

Only in the appropriate environment!

I understand.

Should be a good discussion at the next Trust meeting.

The Trust are in a difficult position as some of their members probably want to see them more involved and some less.

I'm sure all these views will come out at the meeting later this month.

On a personal note, I'd much rather have those involved doing what they're doing just now than be stuck with a trust board full of Henderson-type people.

For me, an active, vocal trust is a healthy, fan friendly trust.

The Trust is completely democratic - if the members dont like what any particular board member is doing, vote him / her off.

In the meantime, personally, I will post my personal views. If being a trust board member meant that I couldnt put my personal view then I would resign.

The members could vote that board members arent allowed to put a personal viewpoints, but I suspect that you wouldnt then have much of a board left.

Guys - I wonder if I may contribute something to your debate?

I'm the secretary of the Sons Supporters Trust at a club where we, allegedly, have a common link.

Reading this debate on how EF fans can best come together to protest, for whatever reason, saddens me.

Why? Because in-fighting only plays into the hands of those who do not understand the concept of collective responsibility.

A supporters trust, in my view and I admit that I'm biased, is the perfect vehicle for fans to come together in a common cause.

Mr Brown has a lot to learn about running a community based football club ; that much is obvious, but so too do supporters.

I would urge all of you to unite under one umbrella and continue to do the right thing, and that is trying to safeguard your club.

Aw ra best

Alan

Alan of Sons. I think the supporters are almost unanimous in what is best for EFFC. The disagreement coming into play here is how much should the trust become invoved officially in this action. I would agree that we should come together and the trust seems to be the perfect vehicle for our protests.

However the trust's argument is that we need a vote on the issue from the members before we can take any action. Now this is fair enough but the subject hasn't even been raised by the trust board and the length of time between meetings means a loss of impetus. The issue will probably be raised at the next meeting and a vote taken to support the protests. But if we had waited on our single umbrella we would have lost almost 4 months of succesful protest which has highlighted our plight at least in the whole of Scotland.

Well said Alan

I bet some of the protesters wont know what to do with themselves once all this arguing is over.

No cos we are all loving this, I think its brilliant seeing my team lose to East Stirling twice in a matter of months, I think its fantastic that some jumped up ex-Cowdenbeath director is calling himself a bigger fan than the rest of us whilst he strangles the club and takes us to depths we've never sunk to before.

I hope this never ends, I simply wouldn't know what to do with myself!

fud.

Alan,

your comments are welcome, but you are naive to think Derrick brown "has alot to learn", Mr Brown is neither willing, nor able to learn anything about running a football club. He is a very small man with a very big ego, this ego has come into conflict with the well being of our club (as you can see by our results, attendences etc) and our supporters have had enough.

I think some of the supposed "arguing" between fans is slightly exagerrated on here, I suspect some outside influence though, we should be wary of that (it has happened before).

I must also agree. If the Trust(as a whole) and the supporters have different stances, what bracket do those who are non-trust members but like to see Brown removed come under? Just like the Trust, all the supporters are not fully behind the protests. So as a protestor, we can't use the name of the fans, just like you can't use the Trust's name, because not all of us want the same things. It appears to me that there are Trust members, protestors, supporters and stay-aways. The Trust has the biggest name and most power. If all supporters united under one bracket, such as the Trust, then we would be a much more dominant force. Derrick Brown knows who you all are and he will use this to his advantage. Divide and conquer.

What happens then if the trust comes out and supports the protest?Will they lose the membership of those who are non protesters?I would hope not.What happens if Broon goes un Gray (IF)becomes chairman?Do the trust try and work with a guy who hates trusts or do we continue to protest about him being at the helm?As a non trust member,if Gray does become chairman, i would have to think seriouslly about going back in.As my Raith next door neebour says,"yer fucked".

Guys

Thanks for letting me in on your debate. I hope I’m not being patronising, but I think some of you have missed the point of my post.

A Supporters Trust is the perfect model to use to help your protest ; I can see no reason why the Trust at East Fife cannot lead the charge as it were. Knowing how the Trust idea works, your Board are adopting the correct format in getting a mandate from the members, however once that is achieved, it should be all systems go.

Acting individually will ultimately serve no purpose. An organised, professional approach with the added ammunition of democracy in your armoury is the best way to go.

Unfortunately not every fans sees the Trust vehicle as a good concept ; allegations of cliques etc always arise, but when the shit hits the fan, as has been demonstrated at Clubs throughout the UK, it’s the fans that have to work together to find a solution. After all, ‘we’ are the only constant any football club has.

I don’t know enough about the situation at EF to comment fully on what is actually going on, however one thing I can say from bitter experience is that at some point your Trust, assuming that it’s the organisation that will continue to fight for EF to become what it should be, will need to meet, face-to-face, with those currently in charge. Dialogue and confirmed action points are the ONLY way forward.

Alan

Kerriann - your posts in your personal capacity are always excellent. But what about in your capacity as Trust Secretary?

I have to say, as yet another non-trust member, that I'm confused about the objectives of the Trust in all that's going on at present. I can recall many posts here in the past, including from your good self, stressing that the Trust was not anti-Board etc, etc (which tbh I thought was a bit head in sand).

Since the media seem to believe, perhaps quite reasonably, that the Trust speaks for the supporters generally, the rest of us are perhaps entitled to ask where do we now stand?

Has the Trust said clearly and publicly that it seeks the removal of the Chairman in the interests of the Club? If not, does it have plans to consider doing so?

Onlooker
Why dont you do as i have done and renew/join up with the trust,all i hear is im not a trust member but........., i think the next meeting with the trust will be very intresting.

'Has the Trust said clearly and publicly that it seeks the removal of the Chairman in the interests of the Club? If not, does it have plans to consider doing so?'

We are having a quarterly meeting soon Onlooker, you can find out what is going on if you join.

I have to agree with Alan. If the Trust members chose to have the Trust helping with a protest then that is the way we will go. To all of you who are not in the Trust and say 'what about the non-Trust members?' I say that I can only speak for and act on behalf of members. However, IF the Trust are asked to go ahead and back the protest, it will help to improve the situation all factions of supporters' not just Trust members.

We have taken alot of advice over the protest issue. There will be Trust members who do not agree with backing a protest and it may lead to a fall in membership. BUT there will be members all for the protests and if we don't back it, there will be a fall in membership!

Whatever happens, whichever road we go down, the Trust will then be able to get on with the reason we were set up - to help the club we all love.

That doesn't really answer the question, Kerriann. We have Eugene speaking about (and in defence of) the protest as Press Officer for the Trust. That's fine by me, and I applaud what he says. But we have to assume that he is speaking for the Trust and articulating the Trust's views, don't we? I hoped he was, but now I'm not so sure.

Sorry, must've missed the point!

Eugene has written many comments in the press recently. Most of the comments have been in a personal capacity. I think it would normally state in the article if he is speaking on behalf of the Trust or not.

Anyway, all will become clear after our meeting. I for one think the Trust needs clear direction from the members on which stance we should take.

I hope you don't think I'm dodging the question Onlooker but the Trust so far have taken no official stance.

As a trust member, i am becoming tired reading the post from non trust members, in particular onlooker.
You are intent on criticising a democratic body set up by the fans for the fans. I would suggest you either join and find out how the organisation works or you shut up. Your doing more than my head.
Remember
There is a principle that is proof against all arguement
Bar against all information
And guarenteed to keep a man in everlasting ignorance
That principle is contempt prior to investigation.

So put up or f*ck off

He's only stating a point! You are no position to try and force people to join the trust. It's cockends like you that drive supporters apart with all your criticisms of what people are saying. In no way did Onlooker intend to berate the Trust. You need to read through all the posts and read how everyone has dealt with each others responses before banging your hands off the keyboard pal!

Well said Martin! and the same to all slagging posters no matter who is being slagged.

Kerriann - that's fine, thanks.

We cannot allow petty arguing to sway or split the fans here.

The next meeting of the trust will indeed be very interesting and I'm looking forward to hearing a certain Mr Henderson's view this time around in particular as it's certainly going to fly in the face of what the current trust board are doing.

Wonder if he'll bring his cronies along to back him up again.

Can I try again to clarify my own position.

As an individual and simple Trust member I have expressed my personal views on the protests both in words and in action.

As the Trust press person I issue statements on behalf of the Trust Board. I never do that without having it approved by at least two Board members, usually the Chair and Sec. If time permits I contact others.

I also advise the Trust Board on PR and always say - they get fed up hearing it - "The decision is yours. What do you want me to do?"

At times matters are made confused by others who then report what I have done as an individual as if it were the Trust - a recent example being the last EFFC statement. Where possible I try to correct this and have done so in three cases this week.

Even when I post here I make it clear - look at the email address - whether I'm writing in a personal or Trust capacity.

I will express my own views as to whether the Trust should officially support the protest at the meeting. Whatever the members decide I will report and publicise if it is still their wish I continue to do so - even though my personal views may differ. It's called being professional.

This as been a generally good and informed discussion and I hope as many as possible turn up to the meeting or if not send their views to the Trust beforehand.

Thanks Eugene

That should make it perfectly clear to everyone.