Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Which Famous Ex Sportsman Could We Get To Support The Cause

Just been reading about Stenny's Akabusi Loyal getting a knockback from their hero (on Pie and Bovril site), so it got me thinking who could we get to be our icon and help publicise the cause etc?

Don't particularly fancy the loyal bit in general, but I'd go for Nigel Benn.

If nothing else, he could have a nice wee chat with Deek and the gang.

Plus he was my boxing hero growing up. (KoTS - NO!)

Any other ideas?

Re: Which Famous Ex Sportsman Could We Get To Support The Cause

I know the intention of this thread has been light hearted but I think a high profile ex player would add weight to our cause.
Two names immediadely spring to mind:

Harry Kinnear and Billy McPhee

What about Ken Buchanan? I believe he has been to a few Fife games before.......

Menzies Campbell

Henry McLeish

Gordon Durie

Good idea bout Billy McPhee, Harry Kinnear

How about Dr Deuch wearing a Down with Brown t-shirt under his Gretna shirt in the final and everytime he scored he could show it, should get to see it at least 3 times

this is a very good idea and we need look no further than angusfifer's ideal suggestion.

billy mcphee and harry kinnear would be BRILLIANT. look at what gary mackay did for the hearts supporters and shareholders who did not want to sell tynecastle. a hero and an instantly recognisable figure.

if you stopped people in leven high street and asked them to name an east fife player - any east fife player - no-one would have a clue who is in today's team, but billy and harry's names would come up time and time again

and forgive me for speaking out of turn, but i don't think they are fully paid up members of the JDB Fan Club.

It would appear that Henry McLeish isn't interested in East Fife, now that it doesn't get his coupon in the papers anymore. Anyway, we ca hardly talk about "fit and proper persons" with that sticky fingered Labour bawbag as our figurehead.

Mcleish is in America alot.Heard him un his Mrs are on the verg ov splitting up.Never seen his book,but they say theres a bit about trusts, un thats the way forward for small clubs.Maybe thats why hes not been seen at games for a very long time!!!

now being just a young lad amongst the many years of support present here, I do not know the name Harry Kinnear and had to do a bit of google-digging, glad to see that he was a player before I was born; Billy Mcphee however is a little more familiar, are there two former Fife players of that name (one from the 70s and one from the 80s)?

My point being perhaps it would be appropriate to also have a figure recognisable by the younger generations among us...McLeish and Campbell are of course recognisable however I fear for McLeish and for our cause that any mention of his name will dig up issues from the past - though perhaps this is a cause which will benefit and mark his return into the public eye...? Campbell as leader of the Lib Dems adds huge credibility to the cause, even a comment from him would be excellent.

Maybe we could get that famous painter (what was his name again ) to paint the crowd on the mound at the final game, with his new exhibition opening at the mo that would be brilliant publicity.

Back onto the football/sporting side...

Dr Deuchs, Arnie....

I think it'd be a good idea if as many ex-players, managers and board members as possible rallied round. It shouldn't be about one figurehead.

What about Sean Connery. He was offered a trial with us. Although he may prefer to be linked to the Evil Empire through the West. Also not really a sportsman. Doesn't matter, stupid idea.

You can forget about Jack Vetrianno.He only uses Methil etc for his own benefits.
I`m sure someone had asked him to be involved but were declined.

what a pile of pish

jack vettriano has never in his life exploited methil. he is proud of his hometown and his success has put it on the map. he was also happy to help east fife when asked, at the centenary

he was offered the chance to join the trust but declined. is that a crime?

as for the earlier remarks about henry mcleish, shame on you whoever you are. henry mcleish slogged his guts out for east fife many years before he was a politician. he never used east fife. if anything, the club was the one to benefit from umpteen mentions in the media when his profile was at its highest

what is the problem with success? would it keep the poisonous stuff at bay if everyone remained a no-mark?

anyone else we should be abusing while we're at it? henry morris - let the club down and brought disgrace on the area by never getting picked by scotland again. charlie fleming - treated the club like shit by failing to become a season ticket holder after he'd retired

Jack Vettrianno was offered an honourary membership to the Trust. He very politely declined and wished us all the best for the future. I don't think he should be slated for that.

Remember folks, Igor has set up an action group to organise the protests. I am sure he would be willing open to any serious suggestions that people have about who to approach!

PART OF THE VIEWS POSTED ABOVE ARE NOT REPRESENTATIVE OF THE TRUST AND DO NOT, NO MATTER HOW IT IS TWISTED, REPRESENT THE VIEWS OF THE TRUST BOARD. THE TOP BIT IS TRUE AND DID HAPPEN, THE REST OF IT IS JUST A SUGGESTION MADE BY ME, A SUPPORTER. OK, GOT THAT? SHOULD I PUT IT ANOTHER WAY – THE BOTTOM PART OF THIS POST HAS NOWT TO DO WITH EFST AND THE VIEWS ARE PERSONAL BECAUSE EVEN THOUGH I AM ON THE TRUST BOARD, I AM STILL ALLOWED MY OWN THOUGHTS AND OPINIONS.

Well said Raging totally agree. Great Idea to get Harry and Billy also what about Dave Gorman and Peter McQuade

Trinidad & Tobago world cup squad.
Steve Archibald.

billy is to paly with gray

Peter McQuade retired and I'm sure he would be happy to oblige.

What about
Paul Hunter

John Sludden

Robert Scott??

That might cater for us slightly younger fans

good names craig, though perhaps need to go a bit younger, they are the big names from my early years.

add wullie broon, davie beaton and dickie gibb to that...

What about the Fans favourite

Everyone loves DOUGIE McCRACKEN

What about 'God' aka Wullie Broon?

Bertie Mille? I know of the fans of that generation he seems to be the favourite player of about 70% of the ones I've talked to...

Geordie '6 goals in a game' Dewar ??? My old man works with his nephew.

Davie Clark ? (I've heard more than a few tell me he was the best ever to pull on the black and gold in
his day)

maybe dave gorman's tv namesake could do something, afterall it was our dave gorman who inspired his dave gorman tour wasnt it??

what about ernie mcgarr

I agree with Angus .. Harry Kinnear is the man. Also I think Henry Macleish is not near Baview these days party due to his american trips and partly as I suspect that like the rest of us he cannot abide the odious dictaror in charge at the minute. He would be some one who could bring a lot to East Fife in the furture in almost any capacity you could name and no one can doubt that EAst Fife is in his blood. I can't remember if the Trust approched him to lend support in the past but it would be a coup to get his views on the way forward or invoved in an alternative to BRoon consortium.
Incidentially Mrs May has remained strangely silet on the current situation edspite her championing community ownershipof clubs.