Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Something to shout about

I've just come home for the weekend and my mum had seen "Something to shout about" by James Hastie in the book shop so bought it for me.

Not sure if I can bear to start reading it at the moment with all that is going on. However if you flick to the inside back cover it says:

"James Hastie a scriptwriter and journalist, claims to have been an East Fife supporter since birth -- though his first real memory is being lifted through the turnstyles at Bayview for a match against a 'team in blue jerseys'. he was, he says, 5 years old."

I was just thinking that we all have memories like this. For me it was being at Forthbank in the Archibald promotion season, I didn't figure out whether I was supporting the team in black and gold or the team in red and white until half time. I remember being amazed by the pineapple on that mans head.

I got the east neuk supporters bus from Anstruther to the next home game and never looked back (I was 10).

I would like to know Derrick's first niave moments as an East Fife fan. After all we all have tales to tell and being a bigger East Fife supporter for us all for 40 years, his tales must be the best!!!

Re: Something to shout about

I remember being taken by my Dad and sitting on his shoulders and being fascinated with Henry Morris,s running gait.The first match I remember was 1948 when we finished as champions, the only time we have.We were playing Stirling Albion and came back from 4-1 down at half -time to win 6-4.I was hooked.
I also remember that Derrick was the groundsman,s assistant that day.

That last bit was surely a joke Dave!
God, what would I have given for a glimpse of the likes of Henry Morris, Davie Duncan, George Aitken or Charlie Fleming in the Black and Gold!
Earliest memory was badgering my dad, a Dundee United man, into taking me to see the Fife. We were top of the old second division at the time (probabably the only time you could accuse me of being a glory hunter).
I remember going into the old stand, getting lifted over the turnstiles, and smelling the pipe tobacco.
I remember the "Corner Kick Bar" under the stand and the noise of the crowd from the enclosure opposite.
Pat Quinn scored twice in a 5-0 win and indulged in the celebration of the day, blowing kisses to the crowd.
I think it would be fair to say I was hooked from that day on...

I remember being led round the back of the stand at old bayview so my mums friend who took me occasionaly could have a fly pint and watch the half time scores come in at the social club.

Yes, the last bit was tongue in cheek. I'd still like to hear some EF nostalgia from Derrick. Mind you I think it has all be told before, he did save the club you know.

First game i was at was vs Killie.Went with my 2 older brothers.They'd been going for ages but for me it was a new experince.Remember shitting ma sell when all these Killie fans "swapped" ends at half time.They were all singing un most were wearing blue un white miners hats on there heads.At the end o the game i was thrown over the school gate down by the toilets because my eldist brother said they'd get out the car park (playground) quiker.Got beat 4-2 that day.Hooked eversince although my brothers now support Hearts un Dundee Utd.TRAITORS!!!!!!

like dave marshall, i too remember being taken along to bayview by my father and being hoisted onto my fathers shoulders to watch the game.

all i really remember though was how bloody cold it was that day and how good the pie was that i was handed to eat, i seem to remember the pies being sold from a tin hut.

First game I went to was in 90-91, when beat QoS 2-0 at Bayview in an evening game, when I was but 6 years old. So many great memories since; one me and my brother always go on about is Benny Andrew's utter peach of a goal against a Chris Waddle-"inspired" Falkirk the game before the Jimmy Bone era began - I doubt he ever scored a better goal in his life. Also remember a game, don't remember which season off hand, where we were 2-1 and 3-2 down to Stirling Albion, beat them 4-3 in the last minute from a Willie Burns penalty. Ah the glory days.....

Cannot remember my first game, but have been told it was against rangers. Fife lost but have told I wanted to go back after that game, did so up until 02 seasons ago.
I have had good memories both of home and away games. Promotion season in the 70`s, promotion season with archibald and even when we were losing we had good times away. Ah those days!!!!!!!!!!! When will we see the likes again.
Just remembered even pre-season games were good, DARLINGTON, Durham, Peters & lee and fort william.

I was very fortunate when I was young as I managed to see a lot of games by being lifted over the turnstile, at away games.
I travelled on the supporters bus run from the Steel Works Kirkland Brae, my seat was an old lemonade crate in the ailsle of the bus .
As my father detested football I was taken to the games by Baker Brown and a man named Hunter, they along with my dad worked at steel works.
I also saw the Stirling Albion game, our 3 league cup wins,scottish cup defeat by Rangers.
the most memorable game for me was when Charlie Flemming scored the winning goal against Rangers in the league cup semi-final.
That day ended on a sad note as the East Fife chairman Mr.Mc Arthur died of a heart attack.
Those were the days.
Just because one is an exile does not mean, he or she does not care about the team.
Hope everyone enjoys themselves at the dance tonight and on the Mound today.

First memory of a game was the 27th August 1986 Skol
cup 3rd round tie against the mighty gers with greame
souness at the helm And the big names of Terry Butcher,
Ally McCoist, Davie Cooper, Ted McMinn and the worlds
most expensive goalie at the time Chris woods . Our stars
at the time Being Gordon Marshall(saved a penalty from
McCoist on the night and found time to take and score his
own spot kick in the shoot out), Stuart Burgess(my idol) Tom McCafferty,
Hugh Hill(missed his spot kick that night) and John Mitchell.
Remember being lifted over the
turnstile and plonked on the barrier behind the goal.
Big Stuart burgess did the business on the next big
thing at the time Colin West and got him carried off.
Excellent first memory of the Fife, I can remember
the Fife fans lining Wellesley road to shout obscenities
at the Supporters buses as they made there way back
to the west coat(and Glenrothes) and this game was also
the last game in Bayview to be played in front of a 5 figure crowd.
Think i heard someone at the East Stirling Game say
they had this game on video with unsensored footage
of souness in the Directors box chewing on his
fingers
If this is true i'd love a copy and would pay any
expense incurred.

I'll dig out the programme at my parents house today
and post the first team line ups for the game

My first memory was somewhere near the end of the 1949 - 1950 season - I had been ill in Bridge of Earn hospital for 9 months and two weeks after I had come home I was taken to see East-Fife at celtic park as a treat - we beat Celtic 4-1 that day - I cannot remember who scored maybe JC could help ( would like to know if you have that info Jim) - but since that day I was hooked.

Craig, contact Glen Walker, he "borrowed" Tam's copy of the video just the other decade, I'm sure he would be most obliging...as long as he's no eatin that is!!

First game I went to was the Leauge Cup Qrt final 1st leg against Rangers in 1963, we drew 1-1, George Dewer scoring for the Fife, been going ever since apart from when Danskin's frolicscame to light.

First game I was taken to was v. Aberdeen in the early 50's who I remember had the legendary Graham Leggat playing for them before his transfer down south. Think his goal was the only goal of the game.

Think mine was during 68/69 and may well have been a New Years day game against Berwick (won 4-1 according to the record books). Don't remember much about those early games though another one was against Rot Weiss Essen of West Germany later in '69 when we hammered them 5-0 (they were a Bundesliga side too - can you imagine that happening now?. I have the match programme still, but can't remember who scored. Derrick can you help me on this?

Mike - the game at Celtic Park towards the end of the 1949/50 season, on 25th March 1950, ended 4-1 to Celtic, not East Fife! East Fife took the lead in five minutes through Allan Brown. Team was Niven, Laird, Stewart, Philp, Finlay, Aitken, Black, Fleming, Morris, Brown and Duncan.
It could be that you're mixing up the two games we played against Celtic that season because we thumped them 5-1 at Bayview on 17th December 1949. Goals that day were from Duncan, Black, Fleming and Morris (2).
Team was the same as in the game at Celtic Park.