Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
The East Fife Shop On Wellesley Road

Can anyone give me any info on the shop,did it only sell programmes,was it a supporters club shop?

Re: The East Fife Shop On Wellesley Road

i presume you mean the wee place next to the tv shop where we watched the final scores through the window every saturday night.

i think the EFFC shop was the base for the club's pools operation. although there were two or three match programmes in the window, i don't think it stocked programmes. and it was never open on a saturday

it did sell programmes, mind of the shop well,if i mind right a former player was behind the counter,but i dinny mind who it was...

I vaguely remember an old programme in the early 70's saying that someone like Jim Hamilton or Kevin Hegarty worked for EFFC pools. Sounds like a bit of a sop now that I think of it and that these guys were more or less full time pros. Might have made that one up mind.

Was it not Ernie McGarr who ran the pools thingmy? Cannae mind the shop in question though...

I don't remember the EFFC shop, but I do remember a sports shop on the opposite side of Wellesley Road from Bayview that was run by Pat Quinn after he was sacked as Manager. He served in the shop himself - is this maybe what you remember?

You guys don't have much of a memory, thought you at least would remember the shop Jim.
It wasn't next to the TV shop either, it was where the Taylor Frames shop is now. It was a supporters club shoporiginally, and sold ties, programmes, etc. then it changed to the Pools office.,

Jim I am shocked that you didn`t know about the premises on Wellesley Road.
Personally,I thought it was a bit closer to the old Bayview than where the picture framing shop is.

BTW,Jim...I was also shocked that you didn`t join the rest of the family in the annual outing to the Links Market tonight! or haven`t you recovered from watching the wifey at your table strutting her stuff at the POTYD.

Sorry guys - I have a good memory, but it's short!
Sulk - I have better things to do with my time and money than throw it away at the shows. And anyway I'd have missed Heartbeat.
The lady 'strutting her stuff at my table' - which table? I shifted over to Mike Flett's table half way through the night when I noticed it was his round!

Sulk, you could be right, it might have been the next shop along which used to be the little shoop of Kingodm Carpets, when they were on Wellesley Road

Cant mind off that shop (but i am a youngster) but remember a sports shop just a couple of doors along from the purple cat on welllsley road that sold quite a lot of east fife merchandise cant remember its mame ,i think the shop in question was an ironmongers in for years and the mame johnnie visoki rings a bell but not sure

That was Skubz Sports wasn't it?

I bought quite a few shirts from there, including the tartan third kit and the first all-black number.