Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hain / Hamilton

If its correct they were there, what kind of reception did they get - did they actually say anything interesting?

Re: Hain / Hamilton

Apparently both attended against the wishes of D'ick, I have a gut feeling that Hain and Hamilton are not as close to Brown as we might have imagined. Time will tell.

Or were they sent in as Deeks Spies ?

So despite the assurance directore wouldn't be welcome, these pricks were there. They are if anyone forgets supporting Brown

So who sold them tickets?.

The feeling amongst our supporters was that they were against Derrick attending the POYD and giving any money to the Club and that has been adhered to. At a recent Supporters Club meeting the fact that Andy and Davie might want to attend was discussed by the fans present and it was felt that it was something we could cope with.
The complete contrast between Derrick,s behaviour yesterday afternoon and the supporters last night just highlights why he is so obviously wrong and we are right.

Sorry Dave but if you actually view your post when you were drumming up support for the dance. |Allowing these directors into the dance totally contradicts what was said. What about the fans not a couple of plooks who support brown. If ythey don't like him they should resign

Battles are often won by diplomacy as well as fighting. There may have been a bit of banter at the POYD but I would be surprised if there was open hostility shown to the two Daves. In view of the way
DB has behaved,especially yesterday, I would put the POYD dance down as a strategic victory. It has maybe put a bit more doubt in some minds than 90 minutes of abuse.
These are my personal views etc etc

I fully agree, hostility to anyone other than Brown is counter-productive, the more isolated people become the closer they will move to him, in order to win we need to isolate him. I know its hard but don't let anger and frustration cloud your judgements, sometimes a bit of diplomacy goes a long way.

Well if I knew that they were going to be there I would not have wasted £20,When hamilton and zoe came in I walked out,but I will no in future,who to trust and who not to

Please Guys,there were some positives to come out with Hain and Hamilton being there last night.

WHAT POSITIVES!! HA HA NAE CHANCE

The way I see it is that the fact that they both wanted to be amongst the supporters,despite DB`s alleged instructions,can only be a positive move.

If they really wanted to do something positive, they could have resigned, as Dave Marshall did and further isolated Derrick Brown. Attending a dance against the wishes of DB is niether here nor there as far as i'm concerned.

Have to agree.They can't just "sit on the fence" on this one.We've posted our colours to the mast,but as far as i'm concerned ,there still Broons men.In saying that ,this o'll be up Broons street.Us arguing about 2 ov his directers.

OK so they resign to great cheers from the protestors. What happens then? A few lines in the media again. Brown then appoints other directors to take their place (I'm sure oor Wullie has some ideas on this) and we get persons on the board who have no real interest in our club.

Brown will go with or without their resignations but I would think it will happen quicker with a greater chance of a smooth transition to a new regime if they stay in place.

I agree with 'go for it' we dont know whats happening behind the scenes. I'm sure not everyone who appears to be dancing to Derricks tune is actually on his side.

Look at DM he resigned to great cheers from the masses but now he cant get into the the ground, what good did this gesture do, none.

We should remember there's more than one way to skin a cat

Andy and Fiona came along as supporters. The fact that Andy is a director had nothing to do with them attending. They both work hard for the club because they are supporters. If investors and volunteers are lost now they may never return. And yes Fiona is a volunteer. It will do no good alienating these people they are needed.
I am a volunteer and proud that I do it. I enjoy helping out. The players need support too. Sorry but you wont't chase me away. I don't always approve of everything that goes on at the club but making things difficult for the players won't help. I am not a "yes man" as the phrase goes when I don't agree with something I sure as hell say.
Davie Hamilton also attended. He again was there as a supporter. I was glad that there was no hassle on the night as abuse could well have spoiled the night.

there is a lot of smoke being blown about here.

let's cut to the quick: hain and hamilton are in a position to remove derrick brown as chairman of east fife. they choose to do nothing because they fear that if they fail, they will lose their precious positions.

simple solution: don't fail. there are seven directors. seek the support of two more - stevenson and mackay - and remove brown with a 4-3 vote under 'any other business' at a board meeting. accept the fact that gray and mrs brown will vote with the chairman.

install an interim chairman, and appoint new directors. there are plenty of contenders.

do not worry about the shareholders. if, as we are told, the club has no financial liabilities, then the major shareholders cannot threaten to pull the plug.

if brown calls an egm to try to get back on board, let him take his chance. but in the meantime, the new board of directors will have had plenty of time to show the major shareholders that they have been able to move the club forward with a series of positive initiatives to re-unite the east fife football club.

if it comes to an egm, and the new board have sought the support they require, they will get the backing to reject the return of the divisive brown regime. if they don't get that support, and we reach the nightmare scenario of brown seizing power once again, the directors who currently claim to be in limbo would know for sure that there was no point in them hanging on in the first place

Very good post take courage.

Wholly depends on Mckay and Stevenson going along with the plan - Maybe Andy and Davie need to have a wee chat with their fellow directors.

I wouldnt be so sure that Willie gray is wholly convinced about DB either - Willie is nobodys fool - you dont build a successful business like his if you dont understand what does and doesn t a successful business make.

Interesting scenario! Lots of ifs and buts though. The first and most obvious obstacle is gaining the support of Stevenson and Mckay. Say it was successful just think of the "bloodbath" when Brown does get back in. I am sure he will be supported by the two lots of major shareholders because if they would not support him they would probably have done so by now.

I presume however you would take that chance of an even greater deterioration even to demise in our club. Then again you may be right. Let's just go for it.

Good posts. In fact it's slightly easier than Go for It suggests because the shareholders have no say whatever in the appointment of the Chairman. That's a matter solely for the Board itself. So DB couldn't call an EGM to have himself made chairman; only to have a number of Directors removed. And I just don't think that the major shareholders would allow the club to be torn apart that way. There must be a good chance that they'd take the opportunity to pull the plug on DB at that point.

The real problem does indeed lie with Messrs Stevenson and Mackay. Both have to date been like the fish one of them sells - two faced and spineless. But let's get working on them.

Anon
I did not resign to receive cheers from the masses,that is exactly what Derrick thought I was doing.I did what I did basically for selfish reasons-I could no longer justify to myself what I was allowing to happen to the club.Derrick asked me to stay and fight from within(his words).Do you actually think I could be sitting alongside him with all that is going on?The reason I was banned on Saturday is that Derrick knows exactly what he has to deal with in me,unfortunately this is not the only time we have crossed swords.I am not the first person he has considered banning I can assure you.Anon,I did not expect my resignation to directly bring Derrick down but I will do whatever I can to help that come about.
To get back on thread.Derrick has been pumping up the fear factor in recent weeks culminating in the extra security and personal bodyguard on Saturday in an endeavour to create the impression that the Club officials fear for their safety.The presence of Andy and Davie at our POYD and how they were treated has to have blown that impression out of the water surely.It is something we should be using to our advantage I would think.

what this sequence events would provide is the clear opportunity for the new board of directors to show the twiggs and the rodgers that it is in fact possible for someone other than brown to run the club, and in fact run it far better than he does. imagine the difference they would notice with the immediate removal of all bad publicity that the club creates on a weekly basis, and the goodwill shown to the club by those who would unite in the name of a new beginning.

re-engage with the local community - we all know the thoughts of those on leven high street about the current regime. re-engage with the east fife mail. re-engage with neglected advertisers and sponsors. and re-engage with season ticket holder and supporters.

do it properly, and the twiggs and rodgers should grow in confidence and realise:

1. their investment is safe

2. their investment will be enhanced

3. the football team will improve

there interested parties on the outside looking in who can talk to the major shareholders. and on the inside too

take courage
Agree

The above scenario, in addition to having the balls to see it through, also requires leadership.
Is there a leader between Hamilton, Hain, McKay and Stevenson?
It would probably need just one of them to take the initiative...

leadership is important. but it is not a problem.

remove brown, then immediately appoint a "leader" as a director. there are several appropriate contenders who are shareholders at the present moment, and others who could be made shareholders very quickly.

I was meaning leadership in order to remove Brown as Chairman.
Someone has got to take the initiative, gain the support of the other directors, call the meeting, propose the motion etc...

that should be as straightforward as basic human instinct. if hamilton and hain are like-minded they have to make a quiet, joint approach to the director they think is most likely to agree with him. get him onside. then approach the other director, in a position to say: there are three of us. we only need one more. YOU can save east fife.

there is no immediate need for a leader. hain and hamilton can work together. only when it comes to proposing a motion does one have to step forward ahead of the other - but just for a moment. he will immediately be seconded by his colleague.

We need to come up with a way for Andy,Davie and Kenny to agree to meet the supporters.As you know the Action Group tried unsuccessfully to achieve that perhaps because they were unsure of what to expect.After Saturday evening they may be more relaxed about meeting us.May be worth another approach?
Having been through the process the most difficult part is to gird up one,s loins so to speak.Andy,Davie and Kenny once you start to do what you know to be right the relief is overwhelming.I don,t expect you to respond to a web message but do think about it.

Lots of good points raised here.

Remember, on Saturday night we had a hall full of people from all different positions (and none) at EFFC, except one. That one person is the person that feels he needs a bodygaurd.

The night passed of very smoothly with no trouble at all, I bet Derrick was just gagging to come on here on Sunday and see that it had been a disaster, and that the night was ruined by verbal or physical attacks on Andy or Davie. Well he didn't get that, we should be delighted with that because he sure as well wont be.

Above all else, it has shown everyone what a farce this new "extra security" is, although they are as amatuerish and as pathetic as Brown himself.

Saturday should be regarded as a success for East Fife FC, and another step towards change at our club.

I will never give up on my desire to see Derrick stand down.However, one thought keeps me awake at night and that is what will happen if he survives?He will have such a power surge and a feeling of invincibility that no one would be safe.It is certainly a frightening enough thought to drive me on.

The name Stevenson keeps cropping up in posts apart from Dave Marshall's. Are you sure he is a director, could DM confirm this.

Dave Stevenson is a Director but takes little or no interest in the running of the Club.

EF Supporter
Sorry for not getting back to you.
You are of course right that on April 2nd I said" no tickets will be sold to anyone unacceptable to the supporters".At the S.C meeting on April 6th Bryan Duff intimated that Andy and Davie might want to go.A fair x-section of supporters were present and agreed that they could live with that.The two directors were subsequently sold tickets and attended.

having read all the posts on this thread i think (maybe suspect) that these two may be more receptive to these proposals than anyone realises, surely its worth talking to them, it HAS to be attempted.

remember - 'nothing ventured, nothing gained'

Does no-one else find it a concern that someone is a director who has litte or no interest in running the club?

That's part of the reasons we're in the current problems that we're in.

Ask Andy Hain to come on board are you kidding not so long ago their was a shout for boycotting his shop by many on this forum. The guy must be laughing his head off surely you cant expect anyone to respect or trust such people. The ringleaders have short memories and jump in to slag off any person who does not follow them. No doubt some this will create negative replies but to be honest whether your successful or not wont change my life. Stop being personel with your protest as GOF has posted it will get you nowhere.

Yes GoF, a huge concern!

Is this the same person who joined Cowdenbeath's board at the same time as Brown?

No. That was Jim Stevenson-again a former director of EF.
Dave Stevenson,the current director,is the son of the late Bob Stevenson,the former vice chairman of the club.

My Dad bumped into Dave Stevenson on his way to Leven Bus Station after the march. It would appear that the reason for his lack of interest is the same as everyone else!
He may well be persuaded to join with others to make the change.

very interesting ritchie. if mr stevenson is true to his word, then hain and hamilton are already within touching distance of ousting brown. do they realise this?

dave marshall - don't stay awake thinking 'what if'. to be blunt, the scenario you fear is no different from the one we have been living for the past three years

'short memory' - I would suggest that the last thing andy hain is doing right now is "laughing his head off"