Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Calling Time on Derrick Brown

The body language and reactions from the other directors (with the exception of Betty) told a story yesterday, I think they have had more than enough of Brown and things could really kick off at tomorrows board meeting, or maybe Tuesday’s crunch plastic pitch decision meeting.

Willie, Andy, Davie, Kenny – the future of OUR club is YOUR hands. All eye’s are on you and you cannot ignore the task in front of you.

Get together, plan your move and get this bastard out.

You will have our 100% backing and we are not going to walk away once the job is done, as we have shown already we are EFFC through, now you must unite with us and show us that you are too.

Re: Calling Time on Derrick Brown

What do you think the other directors can do? if Derrick holds the major shareholding either himself or by proxy, he has a strong hold of the club, no matter what the other directors may feel do you not think their hands are tied?

It seems to be (from an outsiders point of view) that he has a huge grasp of the club which he will not give up and no matter how the other directors vote he does not need to consider them as he is holding the majority.

I think Dave Marshall will probably be able to shed some light on this as he was in the board room and probably knows what has been going on, that might be the reason he went as he knew it was impossible to change the current situation.

It is the major shareholders who gave Brown their backing that you need to call time on (in my humble opinion)

As far as I know, the directors only need 3 votes in a vote of no confidence to get him out as Chairman, certainly that will not be the end of Brown as he still has his shares that Danskin gave him but we will be well on our way.

The directors can easily remove Derrick from the board today, but will they? Do they have the backbone?
The future of East Fife is in their hands, once Derrick is removed from the board then we can work on the shareholding thing. Neil Rankine is now desperate to get rid of his shares given the attention will start to focus on him and The SFA may have new evidence of his shareholding in East Fife and Dumbarton.

I'm not sure if it would be that easy, obviously, it isn't or it might have happened by now given the amount of pressure etc the other Directors have had on them.

Brown is thick skinned he does not care about the fans as we all know, but I think the other Directors would have taken action before know.

If there is a vote of no confidence Brown would not go down without a fight, he probably would call a shareholders meeting and then he would be backed by the major shareholders, by the way he holds their votes by proxy - and he has won again!!!!

We might end up with no other Directors and Brown can buy up their shares, what a disaster that would be.

It is that easy! The shareholders do not decide who is on the board. That's the job of the directors. It would take a majority vote to get him off the board. Obviously the directors can't take his shares away from him. Shame!

pp -

don't forget that if brown is voted out as chairman by the other directors, his backers will realise that he has lost the support of EVERYONE except his wife! the twiggs talk about an investment. they won't want to leave their investment in the hands of a man who suddenly holds no position at the club. okay, he might try to force his way back in, but it would only lead to him being removed again

yes it will be a fight, yes it might be bloody, but what is the alternative? take courage, or call time on your club

Derrick has almost certainly told the directors that if they vote him out that he will get shareholder backing to return.There is no guarantee that would happen never mind succeed if it did.The directors need to show their mettle and stand up to his threats and test his assertions.If they do nothing they will end up with even less say than they do now.They will be lucky if they are even allowed to choose what shade of magnolia they will personally paint the dressing rooms with.Seems frivilous but true.
I am coming to the unfortunate conclusion that the directors are giving out false signals in that they are unhappy with Derrick when in reality they are perhaps not.I am sure you will agree that Fiona would know the "mood" of the board in general and Andy in particular.I am sure you would agree her signal to the fans yesterday was unambiguous.It wasnt an act of reconcilliation that is for sure.
I believe that the directors have postured enough.The Clubs problems are mounting and YOU need to do Your duty Board.

Don't get too carried away, everyone. Get the various roles right. The AGM appoints the directors and the Board appoints the Chairman. All the Board can do is remove DB as chairman. They can't put him off the Board - only the shareholders can do that at the AGM.

It's what happens if he is replaced as Chairman that is interesting. He can't be put back as Chairman by the shareholders. All he could do would be to call an EGM and try to get all the Directors who voted against him removed. Would the major shareholders like the attendant publicity and would he succeed in lining them all up behind him in a vote. Very posssibly not.

By the way, on another earlier post - wherever DB got his shares from it certainly wasn't Danskin. I understand that it was all his shares that Rankine/Twigg got.

As far as I'm concerned this week is the rest of the board's last chance to show some guts and save face.

After that, then our campaign must be to remove them all.

They've had their chances. More than enough.

We will not forget who stood tall with us in our struggle and who helped drag it on.

Those that did the latter will have no place at the post Brown Bayview.

Couldn't manage up yesterday but if Andy Hain's wife did indeed make such a gesture then he should be on here and in the EFM apologising for her and resign from the board.

GoF, Andy's wife did making an offensive gesture to us at the start of the game and we should go to the press with it anyway! If it's ok for Brown to complain if we do a few sweary words then we should do the same.

What goes around comes around

The steward is going to report her for her gesture.

Her gesture to the fans was an absolute disgrace and a public apology and resignation from her Husband is a must.
This was a woman who was more than happy to attend a Supporters dance last week and to now show her true colours to the people who she mingled with last week is unnacceptable.
I was going to take my son to the game,but I am now glad I didn`t.

Mrs Hain...get on your bike!!

This forum is for open debate so here goes.
I never saw DH's wife make a gesture but accept she did. However isn't the reaction from protestors completely over the top.
Not a direct analogy but supporters pick on a visiting player and question his parenthood,sexuality,
ability etc. using every swear word known.The player eventually makes a gesture back and suddenly the supporters are paragons of virtue and shout for their mums (the police in this case).
Let's not kid on we are witer than white because although most of the protest at Montrose was well within bounds there were more than a few expletives directed at the EF Board at the end of the game.

To me this was simply a gesture in support of her huaband and I am sure all of the protestors would have appreciated the same support from their husband/wife.

I suspect attacks on his wife will harden DH's resolve more than on him direct.

I agree with TOC, I wouldn't waste any time or effort getting upset over something like that, concentrate on the problem at hand which is getting rid of Derrick Brown.

I'd concur with that.
We've all lost it at times during this whole episode, myself included...

The Other Chairman
I agree we can all be a bit self righteous about gestures on a Saturday.It was not the gesture itself that I highlighted but the signal it carried.I love Fiona to bits but I have to say that if I had been still on the board and Nan had gestured as she did I would have apologised on her behalf.

I witnessed what happened, and whilst somewhat surprised, did not feel any compelling need to take the matter further.

The fact that the Steward reported it is a matter for Montrose FC.

Andy Hain is a decent bloke whom many of us are hoping will be part of the solution to the current problems at EFFC. In that context, point scoring over an unfortunate gesture by Mrs Hain will not do anyone, with the long term benefit of EFFC at heart, any good.

Bollox. I'm sorry if I'm talking out of line here but if a directors wife is flying the bird to her (supposed) own fans, that is not acceptable.
Sack the lot of them!

From a PR sense it wasn't a good thing to do. However, it was merely a foolish reaction and I don't think that Andy should feel compelled to resign over it. Infact, off the top of my head, I think perhaps someone else should do so to stop further incidents happening to other unfortunate Directors' wives.

Personal views blah de blah de blah

Although I was not at the game, I feel that Fiona was venting her frustration at the supporters due to the fact that the abuse for want of a better word (where you like it or not) has been targeted at her husband, and while Andy and Dave Hamilton have kept quite in public why should Fiona stand by and watch this, I for one would find it hard to keep quite if someone was shouting abuse at my relative.

Over the last months as some other posts have stated there has been times when everyone has gone over the top and if she feels this maybe it was her way of showing her anger? As for Andy resigning, why? if someone from other club/organisation carries on in an unfortunate manner should we be asking for them to resign, there would probably be nobody left!!!

There is such a thing as etiquette[hope it is the correct spelling].

There's nay cunt on this forum that'll be able to correct you so a widne worry

I their iz.