Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Baikie/Brown connection

With all these new signings Crabbe, Mitchell etc we feel that Brown has been moved by the protesters into taking decisive action. Bringing in Baikie as the new manager was the first step and he in turn has brought in players who will undoubtedly take us into the second division.

The protesters have done sterling work in highlighting the problem and moving Brown to take action for which both parties must be congratulated.

The protesters job is now done, now disband.

Re: Baikie/Brown connection

think you will find the job isn't done

unite and rid the club of the disease that is D Brown

Brilliant - a couple of signings and we have won the league.

Did you forget to recommend that we all re-write our wills to make Derrick Brown the main beneficiary?

I take it that you two pair of idiots have kissed and made up.
To even suggest that we are now on the right track with 2 new signings, tell me what a real pair of plonkers you really are.

Couldn't agree more, let's stop the protests....

Not a chance until Brown goes!

I've been thinking about the new signings too and will probably give the mound a miss at the start of the season until I see how things are working out.

I'm not a fan of the chairman but I think we'll look prety stupid shouting for his head when we're on a winning run.

Where's the money coming from to pay the wages of the new signings, is it from Oor Wullie, if so then it'll be a loan and that means that we're going into debt, so much for only using gate money for players wages.

FAO ???????

I think it will make the purpose of the protests even clearer if they are still going on while we have a winning team.

Nothing has changed as yet.

Some time ago there was a share issue. The trust were refused shares so I would say that some other losers bought them, maybe Grey. Who knows, who cares.

Why are people getting excited by the signings of Mitchell and Crabbe. Their best years are behind them - experienced ? - yes Good signings ? Not so sure !

Signing people like Crabbe and Mitchell may be the way to attract other players that are on the way down the ranks or even junior players that are on the way up. Everyone wants to play beside players that have been at the top level.
This can only be good news for the future of East Fife.

There will be a meeting between Brown and some reps from different sections of the support on the 6th of June. I would ask everyone to hold fire before making any "should we/shouldn't we" decisions until the results of this meeting are known to all.

FAO Bayview boy

I think the original post only used these two names as examples I'd say Ward was a more exciting prospect. For me its this etc that L&L talk about, is he someone from overseas, a bit like One at Cowdungbeath perhaps.

Sorry Guys but in all of the games against Cowden last season I thought Ward was a big haddy! Told him so as he came off the pitch after the New Year game too! Haven't changed my mind since then & will take a lot of convincing!
One of things we lacked last season was pace & none of the signings has changed that!

This is the first time in a while that I'm looking forward to the new season because the prospect of some great new signings.

Not sure that we laked pace last season with the likes of Martin, what we did lack was talent and vision.

have to agree with liam-mitchell,possibly crabbe,ward or mckeown-no pace between then at all.
seemingly cowden fans have been raving about ward especially the latter part of the season-captain and scoring 6 goals-maybe i will reserve judgement until we actually see him,but make no mistake its baikies influence and nothing more that could be bringing him to bayview.

Dont forget guys that broon had nothing to do with bringing Baikie to the club and do you seriously think broon put his hand in his own pocket to bring in more players? i dont think so
The protests will go on till broon is removed win lose or draw!

I think from bringing in Baikie to some of our signings shows that Brown is not in full control anymore, but we still need to get rid of him and I agree with Forest Fifer, it will have more impact protesting against Brown if we are winning. It shows the protests are against him and not a reaction to a losing team.

Again, if we are signing players using money from the turnstile takings then I'm a Derrick Brown lover.

BTW has the club agreed to sell the trust the shares it re-applied for as mentioned in their statement back in April or has that been forgotten about?

As so much time has passed since the Trust first applied for shares could it be that the released shares have all been snapped up. I'm sure this must be where the money is coming from to attract these players it cant possibly be from monies taken through the gate

FAO Eddie

Little and Large, two pair of idiots?

Oops, I must be getting like Eugene as suggested on a previous thread

Glenfifer if DB didnt appoint Baikie who else could have.

One member one vote at board meetings.

If Brown did not appoint Baikie then who did, he has a major infuence over the board members as stated but Dave Marshall on a previous thread, getting them to do things that they know are wrong.

I suggest that Brown chose Baikie because of his track record at lower league level, has released a limited amount of cash, and backs Baikie fully in the push for promotion which I'm certain will follow.

The protests have been a success for most of the fans as thier goals have been achieved. However, as always there are a few fans that want more and for them it has become personal. How many fans actually care about getting rid of the chairman, I'd suggest very few.

Brown did not want to appoint Baikie, I can confirm that 100%, he wanted to appoint Davie Robertson (ex-Elgin), he was outvoted and threatened to "get the shareholders involved". This is due to Willie Gray actually being able to talk, unlike the other directors, Gray is becoming increasingly dominant and Brown is losing his grip.

If the team is succesful, Brown will take the credit, but the fact is he was against the appointment and has not funded any of the signings or offers.

"The protests have been a success for most of the fans as thier goals have been achieved. However, as always there are a few fans that want more and for them it has become personal. How many fans actually care about getting rid of the chairman, I'd suggest very few."

Would you like to follow this point up?

Most fans are only interested in whats happening on the park and are not interested in what goes on behind the scenes. There was a lot of talk on the mound about Brown and his antics, most of which was hear-say, I think we all knew that these stories had very little foundation.

On our glory day, which was a credit to you Igor, how many of the 150 marchers had been to a game during the season, I'd say only half, maybe even less, of the 80 on the mound maybe two thirds.

I accept that during other games the mound crew were made up of regular fans but from speaking to some they knew that protesting wouldn't make any difference and like myself didn't have the will for a long fight.

We've had our day, lets take what we can claim as a victory and get back to supporting the team from inside the ground. If we continue we'll lose credibility amongst those who have supported us.

As was said in another post, lets see what happens on the 6th before making any concrete decisions.

I know what you mean moundie when you talk about protesters not having the stomach for a fight. I had a good laugh a few days ago when I read that Angusfifer was wanting programmes from the past season but wouldn't go into the club to purchase them. He's happy to purchase them from someone who has presumably bought them at a match however, this is a bad case of double standards.

So that makes two of you lilly-livers how many more are going to show their true colours

No, you see a "lilly-liver" is someone like you who comes on under a false name (yes, I post as igor but my identity is not a secret) and criticises people for no reason other than to cause animosity, arguments and ill feeling amongst the support at a time where we have pulled together to achieve a great deal.

What have you done “Serge” ?

'Most fans are only interested in whats happening on the park and are not interested in what goes on behind the scenes. There was a lot of talk on the mound about Brown and his antics, most of which was hear-say, I think we all knew that these stories had very little foundation.'

I dispute the fact the stories have little foundation. Browns antics are well know by all right-thinking people and the wider Levenmouth community. Most of the stories that have been relayed are from reliable sources and I would most certainly take their word over Brown's. Mind you, I'd welcome him trying to deny his racist and sexist comments then I'd know he talks nothing but a load of lies.

Ex-moundie is correct in saying that most people just want to watch the football and don't want to worry about what is going on behind the scenes. We'd all like to be doing that but what is going on off the park is a worry and therefor to ensure we have a team to watch in the future we need to worry the off-field fiasco.

I'm surprised at ex-moundies comments that the protestors have achieved their objectives. Have I missed something when I was away?

I take it Derrick Brown is no longer chairman then ?

Dear Serge

It's not double standards, it's highlighting the amount of money the club are losing while Brown is in charge.
Under normal circumstances I would be buying my programme from the club, this way I'm paying my money to a fellow supporter.
Since the boycott began I've missed approx 10 home games, that's £90 gate money, £20 beer money, £10 on programmes, £20 on pie, bovril etc. That's £140 at least because my son would have come to some of these games as well.
Multiply that by, say 50, and that is a minimum of £7,000 that Brown has cost the club in 5 months through his own bloody mindedness...

Angusfifer

Your numbers are much too conservative.

Totally agree Angus.

i cannot make my mind up who the biggest bitch is 'serge' , 'little' or 'large' what a trio of knobbers.

its defo Joan Collins

L&L highlited a point in that not all protesters had the same aims or depth of feeling towards the Board. What has been revealed is that a few of us are not going to be taking part in the protests come the new season, but that there is still a ground-swell of opinion that shows that many of the protesters are going to carry on the fight. What we need at this stage is to work out a way of encouraging fans to stick to the cause and not drift away the close season was always going to be a difficult time for keeping morale up.

Can we run a poll right now to see just how many are prepered to see the protest through and who wants to 'cut and run' so to speak.

I vote to continue

If you choose to cross the road, you don't stop halfway and say "okay, that will do" of course we must bring this to a conclusion, there is no other way.

All that you can do is watch them play

From the mound

continue till the end

Continue to the protest, and my dog will do it too!

Sorry guys but you know my view

Who are you "ex moundie"? maybe if you let us know then we'll take you more seriously. Until then, I think you are shit stirring.

Getting rid of Brown was the objective and that has not yet been achieved.I will therefore continue to protest albeit with a great deal of sadness and dissapointment at the current board.

Sorry Igor but I'm not stirring. My personal objectives I believe are about to come to fruition, but if they dont then I'll be back protesting so I'd rather not give my name.

"We've had our day, lets take what we can claim as a victory and get back to supporting the team from inside the ground."

What victory - have I missed something?
Going back inside the ground won't make much difference to the support the players get, but will make a massive difference to the financial support the board will get - non starter for me.

"If we continue we'll lose credibility amongst those who have supported us." I don't see how. Surely we would lose a lot more by stopping?

Keep the pressure on - Brown's hand will be forced. Remember, it is not up to him how long he stays - when his backers have had enough, he'll be gone.

Your choice ex-moundie and you are free to make it. Far from I or anyone else to gainsay you. We all have to make decisions as we see them. However I disagree and I hope you will show the same courtesy to me and others of the same frame of mind.

I will make a prediction that in the first half of the season we will be riding high in the league and non protesters will be saying that all in the garden is rosy. If the protest fails Brown will consolidate his control of the club to the detriment of all concerned. New players and the manager will begin to feel the negativity of our illustrious chairman and results will change and we will be languishing in the nether regions of Scotish football again. Our healthy financial position will begin to change. More and more money will be re-directed away from the football side of things accompanied by arguments that it will benefit the club in the long run. Wonder where some of that money will go?

My concern is that this will be a steady spiral downwards to oblivion for our club. Then we will all become Rovers fans as they are beginnig to go in the right direction to retaining their club.

Continue until he's gone, obviously

How should we make our mark come the new season ? Protesting from the mound is a must, but other than that has anyone got any suggestions

After a few weeks or really quite boring threads, on what is a terrific site, we have one that has had everyone talking and offering interesting comment.

Well done, what a good read.