Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Graham Roberts

I see Clyde have launched an investigation into claims that boss Graham Roberts made a racist remark whilst in Canada. If Clyde (correctly) take this so seriously, then I think it should be taken up by our supporters too.

It does not matter how long ago Brown made MORE THAN ONE racist remark, the fact is he made them and that is simply not acceptable.

I plan on contacting the "Show Racism The Red Card" campaign to ask advice on which steps we should follow to nail him for this.

Down with Brown, Down with Racism!

Re: Graham Roberts

Can you refesh our memories to some of the afore-mention Brown quotes ?

'he's stuck like a n*gger in a bolthole' and 'Ah widnae tell that joke to a darkie'.

F**king hell.

No worse than us being called "JOCKS" by our English friends? F@*king do gooders.

Posting under confused now Derrick.

you can start here FAR

http://www.theredcardscotland.org/report/card.htm

but somehow i think you knew this already...

the difference is JOCK is not offensive, at least i dont take it as being so.

but nigga on the other hand is slang for a black man that is (ethnic slur) extremely offensive name for a Black person; "only a Black can call another Black a nigga" http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=nigger

and broon aint no fucking nigga a man in his position should know better.

I need the date of East Fife's tour up north where the "wouldn't tell that joke to a darkie" comment was made.

We played Keith Fc on Saturday July 17th 2004 the comment was made on that night at a local club.

a wee word of warning, have a think thats all i ask.

is the remark 'i wouldnt tell that joke to a darkie' really that bad, do we know the context it was used in, after all what is being construed as not acceptable today and in this instance as ammunition to get rid of someone we dont like. may have at the time been accepted by all present at the time as a remark bordering on the outrageous, but still funny.

i for one have heard many jokes about the SCOTTISH like myself , the english,welsh,irish,mexicans,canadians,americans 'black and white',espanic etc etc.

Rasicm refers to a belief system that humans can be separated into various groups based on physical attributes and that these groupings determine cultural or individual achievement and the value of human beings. This can lead to hostility against individuals based on a perceived or ascribed "race". This racist outlook in assuming that the human species can be hierarchically divided into races, is often bred of ignorance, fear, and prejudice. Racism often includes the belief that people of different races differ in aptitudes and abilities, such as intelligence, physical prowess, or virtue. Most individuals who use the concept of racial categories believe that different races can be placed on a ranked, hierarchical scale. By definition one who practices racism is known as a racist.

we all like a good joke even when a cheap shot is taken at our race or religion. personally i dont mind such things and although they could be taken as racist i dont think of them in that way, because i know whats acceptable to me and whats not.

i remember one match where the crowd was throwing bananas and making ape like jestures toward a player on the park because he was black, this i think was totally embarrasing and downright humiliating and clearly could have been taken as racist as the crowd at that match was led by many fans with extreme right beliefs.

so what i am saying is before branding broon as a racist we should think long and hard about his past and decide from his history if he has shown beyond a reasonable doubt that he is a racist, one remark doesnt make you a racist, unpopular maybe but not a racist.

Brown was making the point that he thought the joke was terrible and wouldn't repeat it to anyone, not even someone from ethnic minorty origins.

Draw your own conclusions.

"one remark doesnt make you a racist"

Does 2 then?

At what point does someone become "racist", is there a certain number of racist remarks one must make before officially becoming a racist?

If you make a racist remark, regardless of your background then you obviously hold racial prejudices, otherwise the remark would never have entered your mind, let alone come out of your mouth. Especially when you are in a position of responsibility.

Combined with the fact that the "darkie" remark was NOT an isolated occurance, suggests to me that Derrick Brown holds racial prejudices, which he has been unable to conceal and it gives me concern that our clubs name could be blackened by a repeat of such remarks in the future.

Appropriate action should and will be taken, through the correct channels.

It seems clear that Brown is not the most intelligent of men.

Probably not got a deep hatred of black people as such - just very, very, embarrassingly thick.

The joke could have been offensive to some people,at the the time it was taken as laughter,but you all know me when I'm drunk,It was not racist or religious but a wee bit dirty,

During East Fife's (Derrick Brown's) submissions to the SFA the question was asked - "Should the Scottish Executive extend funding for the Show Racism the Red Card campaign and should the SFA demonstrate their commitment to the campaign by providing monies in
addition to those provided by UEFA and also to fund Supporters’ Direct beyond the current commitment to 2005-06?"

Derrick Brown, on behalf of EFFC replied "Most definitely not it is not such a problem and to commit public monies to such a campaign would be totally wrong"

I remember reading that at the time and thought, that says it all about Derrick, makes racist remarks but thinks there is not a problem with racism in football.

I dont have much time for our present chairman, however chasing him for a few rascist remarks isnt goin to get rid of him without putting EF fans in the rascist spotlight ourselves.

What is the difference between Broons STUPID remarks and our continual humour made at Cowdenbeath??? we all think its funny but when do u cross the line and it becomes disrespectful, hurtful and rascist???

There was nothing rascist about what we told broon at cowdenbeath, there wasnt even any swearing!
When you hold a position at a football club in any capcity you have to be profesional and literate,Deriick Brown is niether! and deserves everything that is thrown at him,remember Donald Findlay?