Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Division 1 breakaway

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_div_1/5023536.stm

Any comments on this proposal? Seems that the Linos would be promoted despite their ineptitude both on and off the pitch. The Fife meanwhile will, as usual, have missed the boat and will soon be competing with the Juniors.

Re: Division 1 breakaway

Delusions of grandeur if I’ve ever seen it. They seem to think that because you need 6000 seats to play in the SPL that the league promoting and relegating teams to and from it should have 6000 too, in which case will the second and third divisions not need to impose such a rule?

Personally I’d like to see less seats in football grounds, there is nothing wrong with terracing if the stadium is run properly and you don’t try and pack too much people onto it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_div_1/5027048.stm

The story has now updated with the SFL planning a pyramid system with effect from the season after next!!

I think we should start an SPL4, with a minimum seating capacity of, erm.... 1.

Seats have pritty much destroyed atmosphere at games, i think the way forward is the safe standing that they use in Germany etc.

Bayview would look fantastic with some terracing across from the stand, and I think it would transform the whole atmosphere at the ground-maybe even bring back some fans.

In hindsight, maybe a single 2000 seater stand was not the best idea. It would be great if this new pavillion thingy had a covered standing area in front of it.

Here's the latest:

Division One clubs bid for change

First Division clubs have released a blueprint for radical change that would open up the Scottish Football League to junior and other non-league sides.

But they want to prevent clubs with stadiums with less than 3,000 seats from gaining promotion to Division One.

They propose a play-off system to provide a potential extra promotion place into the Scottish Premier League.

And they want a round-robin involving the bottom club in Division Three and two clubs applying for membership.

Some Division One clubs had threatened a breakaway league.

But they united behind a blueprint launched on Tuesday at Hampden Park by Airdrie United chairman Jim Ballantyne, Hamilton Academical chair Ronnie MacDonald and Dundee chief executive Davd MacKinnon.

"We have unanimously agreed on the developments we would welcome to secure the ongoing stability and viability of professional football in Scotland," said a statement.

"While we accept that not all or any of the proposals may find support, we seek dialogue with the Scottish Football Association, the Scottish Premier League, the Scottish Executive and our own organisation, which we hope wil lead to an improvement in the national game."

3,000 seats now - bit of a come-down. One stand behind a goal would sort that and can we have a nice terrace too please?

Dream scenario would be a 1000 seater stand behind one of the goals and upgradable L-shaped terracing round the rest of the ground (ala Bayview Park). The ground would be the best in the lower leagues !!

Atmosphere would be great.

Instant 8-9 thousand capacity for big cup games etc.

Im also convinced that the soul-less wee stadium we have does nothing to attract fans, especially fair-weather ones form the old days. Terracing would double or triple our crowds.

yous are talking about making the stadium bigger whereas i really fear for the future,now that their talking about bringing in junior teams to replace the team at the bottom.
east stirling first then who next-albion rovers or ourselves-thats the reality if we live on broons budget with a chairman with no ambition as long as the club survives who wont go a penny into debt.
every club needs new investment[look at montrose now]and we are going to be left behind unless we let collumbine get on board at some level at least-we cant afford to refuse any investment from now on.

I would have to agree that the days of needing big capacity grounds are past.
I think 3,000 seats would be ideal for a club like East Fife, with some terracing to accommodate big home games in the cup.
What I would say, though, is that any additional capacity to Bayview, whether it be seats or terracing, should be built in such a way that it can be easily added to. For example, terracing steps should be wide enough to have seat affixed at a later date if the need arises; grandstands should be built tall and narrow so that they can be widened, for example the stand at Links Park, Montrose.
Alternative uses for the stadium should also be considered, like utilising the normally wasted space beneath modern grandstands by incorporating cinemas or indoor bowling alleys.
Seating behind goals could be constructed in a semi-circular design with a stage in front for open air summer concerts.
That way, the local community will be able to make full use of all the facilities all year round and every day & night of the week.

Hows igor going to see the game if you build behind the goals.

Jim,there is another way, un it'll come in the not so distant future.