Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Lawrenson and Motson...The dumb and dumber of the BBC

Perhaps I'm getting paranoid but did I really hear these two idiots making fun of a Ghanain substitute's name tonight? Their commentary was dreadful, full of bias and negative comments about the African's play. I thought Ghana were worth at least one penalty although Italy deserved to win. To listen to these clowns it's a wonder Ghana showed up for the game. Paternalistic, racist and crap.....they should be taken out and shot! Can you imagine what they will be like when Togo take to the pitch or even worse, Trinidad and Tobago?
Lineker apart, the arrogant and rude behaviour of Hansen and O'Neil in the studio to the other guest was just as bad. I hate to think what these dickheads are being paid?

Re: Lawrenson and Motson...The dumb and dumber of the BBC

The way O'Neil spoke to Desailly was shocking. 'I don't care if you've won the world cup...' etc. If only it was easier to watch the game with the sound turned down!

Sky+ is a great thing though! Never having to sit through half time and shout at the TV! It helps the blood pressure!

I agree with Tom. Stereotypical and patronising, but then these guys have been doing this for years so it doesn't come as a surprise anymore. If only "Lawro" (ah,how chummy it all is), was only a tenth as funny as he thinks he is. And did you hear "Motty" (how the nation loves him) harping on in the England game about how the referee was giving Paraguay everything? Get your conspiracy theories and excuses in early chaps just in case your beloved boys are cheated out of the World Cup yet again.

To be honest, I thought that Hansen, O'Neill and Desailly were the best panel that I've seen so far.

I think you're reading a bit too much into the banter, I would imagine that Hansen and O'Neill have the highest respect for Desailly - looks like they've finally found a foreign pundit who knows what he's talking about and is able to put it across (are you watching Jay-Jay Okocha?)

Agree with Tom and the general message on this thread.
Motson may have a head full of facts and figures but his contribution as a football commentator is inept.
That level of performance however makes puts him and Lawrenson on a par.
Memory problem again but it may have been Motson who
commented on a problem one of the African teams had
with boot choice and slipping during the game. It went something like " a few of these players are possibly wearing flip-flops"
JM and ML - what a pair of fuds

I cannot stand Motson...especially the little snigger he does before he thinks he is about to say something funny ... Listen out for it .....it gets on my nerves.

Lee Dixon said that the Mexicans are used to playing in temperatures up to 180 degrees!

Scorchio !!!!!!!!!!

I totally agree. I watched the Brasil game tonight with the sound switched onto the Five live commentary. It was a huge difference to the vomit inducing ramblings of Lorro and Motty. It was Conor somebody (Irish guy) and Martin Yol so in general you got a much lower incidence of relating everything to Engalnd, the premiership and if WaZZa 's toe is better.

I think aslo the fact they are doing it primarily for radio means its more descriptive and less about what passes for banter between the two numpties.

press that red button!

motty.hope this ref is better than the one we had v paraguay. what a dork.

Comment from the Brasil game, something along the lines of

"Croatia are potentially playing against 5 Wayne Rooneys here!"

Listening to the radio today (5 live) and it seems we are not alone. lots of our english comrades complaining about the biased and crass commentator and a story in london evening standard that viewers are switching off motty in their tens of thousands.

We got Nat Lofthouse mentioned tonight. Bet no-one had that one in a sweep!