Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Accrington Stanley for Bayview

EFM reports that Accrington Stanley will play East Fife in a friendly on 31 July, in preparation of their return to the Football League for the first time since 1962.

Re: Accrington Stanley for Bayview

Who are they?

thats a classy pre season number if its the case, lot of nostalgia around accy stanley, bit of a third lanark , and how do you devise songs for a team called accrington stanley

Cool-Looking forward to it!

Accrington Stanley were one of "my teams" as a kid.They played in the 3rd div.north until they went broke over 40 years ago.It has taken all that time for the supporters to persuade the community to come back to support them.They are a supporter run club.I was on holiday in the area four years ago and paid the ground,which was undergoing renovations, a visit.They are ,in fact,one of the oldest football clubs in existance.

I look forward to this game, but if renovation work on the park has only started thisweek it's not going to be ready in time surely??

Maybe we'll need to play them at the savoy

Personally I hope it goes ahead as I am an Accy lad in exile over the other side of the Forth and can travel there without any trouble.

Renovation work should be done by the weekend with just 6 weeks to the start of the season.You will know if that is long enough or not more than I do,Igor.
I brought this possibility up at the meeting and Wullie Gray seemed confident that all would turn out fine.

I suppose it depends on what they are doing and how the weather pans out over the next six weeks, it'll be pretty tight though, no doubt the game will go ahead regardless but if the pitch is harmed early on we could be playing on a sorry surface come Xmas time.

But then again, we'll have the league wrapped up by then antway, wont we

Looking forward to this.

Great to see the Club back in the Football League and it's great to read up on how they got back there.

Hope we can all be back inside the ground to see this game

It will be a big test for the new look East Fife too. I would guess that the quality of this team will be high and probably equivalent to anything in Division One here.

We have played this mob before. They stuffed us in a friendly in 1954 as my dad has just pointed out to me.
Just a few weeks after we beat Rangers in a league game at Bayview........

We have in fact played them twice. In Feb 1954 whehn they won 4-1 in a match that was the official opening of their lights at Peel Park. Then again a year later in Feb 1955 which was a 2-2 draw. Your father recollection is a little off as the game before the match in 54 was a 1-1 draw with St Mirren at Love Street but he may be thinking about the 2-1 win against Rangers in January of that year at Bayview.

Ok I should read posts before I reply...looks like your father was spot on

Exactly!!

not 100%sure but i think that both charlton brothers bobby, jack started their senior football there.

The Charlton's were from Ashington, just up the road from I live near Newcastle. Don't think they ever played for the Stanley.