Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
When the protests are over.

Im looking forward to returning to New Bayview on a regular basis when Brown finally goes, what I hope I wont have to witness is the likes of Davie Hamilton and Andy Hain still representing my club.

They are a couple of cowards who stood by and watched as our club was torn apart last season and did nothing other than to protect their own position within the club.

Contrast this with the actions of Dave Marshall, and you begin to realise just what a waste of space these individuals are. I sincerely hope that a place can be found on the board of East Fife football club for DM when change is impemented at this level. For me his resignation was the catalyst for most of us getting involved in the protest and finally realising that inaction was no longer an option.

This having been said the resolve and enthusiasm for change shown by Glensfifer, igor, Angusfifer, Eugene, Stewart, Kerriann and others who im sure i've forgotten should never be forgotten in the history of East Fife. Without the above mentioned and indeed all fans who stood up to be counted during the dark times of last season would our club still have a future?

Something good has come of this, a terrific spirit and togeatherness between those involved which became increasingly evident as the season wore on and Brown hung on. I worried that the protests might die, but I couldn't have been more wrong.

Couldn't be more proud to be an East Fife supporter, and looking forward to seeing you all again (inside Bayview) this season, except for Derrick, Davie H and Andy of course.

Re: When the protests are over.

Obviously feelings have, and are still running very strong over this whole situation. We’ve all been angry and frustrated at the lack of progress made initially, with regards to removing Brown from our club.

One thing I’ve learned recently however, was that there is quite a bit more to it than meets (or met) they eye, and I know that there is still a lot of information which cannot be disclosed at this moment in time.

Our task is to remove Derrick Brown, once we have achieved that we are 1000% in front of where we are just now.

On a personal level, I have always got on well with Andy and Davie, I know that many mistakes have been made but these are extraordinary circumstances which none of us had expected to be in, and to get such a volume of people in different positions to draw the same conclusion, at the same time, is next to impossible.

In the event of Derrick’s inevitable departure, I wouldn’t have any problem with Davie or Andy staying at Bayview. I hope that we will be big enough to look past old struggles, we will have a big enough task on our hands with rebuilding the club, and on the park it looks like we will have plenty to cheer about.

So long as we all stay as united as we’ve been these past 6 months, there’s nothing we can’t do, East Fife FC can thrive.

Thanks for the mention AF.

My own view is that we continue to move on irrespective of what individuals have done in the past otherwise all we do is continue with the bitterness.

Matters are seldom as straightforward as they appear and I for one would not like to start our new regime - and it will start soon - looking backwards.

You don't name people - that's wise - but as far as I'm concerned anyone associated with EFFC is welcome to contribute to our new setup - aopart from DB of course unless he has made the journey to Tarsus!

I have been more than impressed with the way the fans have united over this issue. The issue that, if left alone, would have no doubt brought about the end of EFFC. EFFC as we used to know it is gone but not so far gone that it cannot be rebuilt.

This will happen and it will happen before the start of the season (bold!).

Thanks for the mention AF but I only followed the path that others laid. I followed the mighty Che.. I mean Igor and I followed the direction of the Trust members. It just so happened (thankfully) that I was 100% behind the decisions taken.

This whole sorry episode will soon be behind us and the future is bright for the mighty Fife. It will not be perfect, there may be mistakes made along the way but one phrase that stands out and is most poignant in the EFFC saga is...

FANS UNITED WILL NEVER BE DEFEATED

I agree with Anne Frank's seniments entirely. I can live with Hain and Hamilton still being there when Brown has gone, but given the choice I could see them far enough. I wonder if they would pay to support East Fife if their privileges were withdrawn?

What concerns me more is the willingness to defend Hamilton and Hain with suggestions that there is some kind of defence for their conduct that we don't know about or can't be spoken about. Please, with respect, there may be a few sub-plots at work but the conflict at Bayview is a simple one. They might well be reasonable people, but as directors of a football club they have been found badly, badly wanting.

Cards on the table - what have Hamilton and Hain done for East Fife as directors? Hain has been a shirt sponsor, but anyone could sign a cheque to do that. What have they done at boardroom level (or as club representatives) to improve the team, enhance the profile of the club, bring parties together, build for the future, connect East Fife FC with the community, resolve misunderstandings, communicate with customers? I would suggest that they have done nothing of any significance. Yet they continue to hold office, and continue to cower when they should be showing courage.

Fine, let them survive and cling on to their positions (they couldn't be any less influential anyway) but please don't make excuses for them. It is all too easy for them to hide behind a smokescreen of "you didn't hear this from me, and keep this to yourself, but we're against Derrick too, we've got a plan, our hands are tied at the moment but watch this space, blah blah blah"

No more excuses - Hain and Hamilton are big enough apologies already.

I think it would be impossible to fairly judge the performance of anyone under Brown’s regime, but I’m sure Andy and Davie would gladly admit that they could have done much better up until now.

If they do remain on board under the new regime, then I would be more than happy to give them the chance to play a role in the future of the club. I think a major difference will be the fact that things will no longer simply be left with the board to deal with, the fans will play full participatory roles in many aspects of running the club, and such transparency would mean that any consistent show of incompetence (not simply individual mistakes, which we all make) would result in the removal from their position.

As Eugene correctly stated, if we begin the new set up, which is the dawn of a new era for East Fife FC, looking into the past and not the future, then we will struggle to build that future. The last thing we need at Bayview after all this is more bad blood, Derrick Brown was THE obstacle preventing our club from being successful and progressing. Once he is gone we will become one of the few success stories of fans defeating a chairman in this country, all eye’s are then on us to see what we are made of after the celebration period.

Let’s make sure we pull together to make things happen, on and off the park.

Did Hain not vote against a fans representative on the Board at a recent meeting?

May have that wrong but if he did then he hasn't shown himself to be very fan friendly at an open vote. Then there's his wife's gesture and overall lack of backbone.

I'm all for giving him and Hamilton a second chance but only if they explain themselves and their actions fully to the fans after the removal of Brown.

Agree GoF,and aren`t we forgetting about another player in this sorry debacle....Mr Kenneth Mackay.He should not be excluded from any criticism.

I'm torn between two stalls, on one hand I agree with Kerriann, eugene and Igor in as much as I recognise the need for fans to remain united and to look to the future. However, during the early days of the protests I personally overheard Hamilton and Brown belittling the protesters and laughing at the chants of "down with Brown". Now, I don't imagine either of them are laughing now but for me it's too late for these people to realign their alleigences just because they want to be on the winning side.

As far as I'm concerned their inaction in the first place was designed to help them retain position on the board, and any move now towards the protesters or supporters trust will simply be for the same reason.

Unlike Igor I don't have any form of personal relationship with these people and my opinions have been formed from what I have witnessed over the course of last season.

I realise the goal of the protests was to remove Derrick Brown and everyone who suggests this should remain the focus, is of course quite correct. I personally would love to see the other useless directors go with him. My suspicion however is that they will remain and we will have to put with them, others may forgive them but I never will.

Despite my anger and perhaps not being totally in agreement with every one on every issue, the important thing to remember as has previously been pointed out, THE FANS UNITED WILL NEVER BE DEFEATED!

If something is dead bury it, before you get a disease off of it. No support from me for Hain, Hamilton or Mackay. Don't want excuses about their behaviour under Browns chairmanship. They always had the path of resignation as a course. Dave Marshal took that path and too me displayed courage. These people displayed their cowardice only. No time for two faces wipe the slate clean they should go as well
Personal views etc.

I notice the probably justified criticism for Hamilton and Hain, and now for Mackay but never hear any mention about Stevenson, who is also named as a director.
If one is guilty, surely all are guilty? I don't know any of them, so I'm just curious.

Interesting comments re Davie Hamilton. I have known Davie Hamilton for 30 years and what ever your opinion of him.......there is not another person in Levenmouth who has done more for juvenile, youth, and amateur level in the area. Davie knows his stuff and his knowledge of football would put the rest of us to shame. A crackin player in his time.

Davie spent around 35 years as a player and manager in minor league football before becoming involved in the senior league.

If the rest of us spent as much time on football as Davie Hamilton maybe East Fife wouldn't be in the position they are.

If Brown goes......Davie deserves a chance!

That's fair enough, Shareholder. But surely Davie had his chance when he could have backed up Dave Marshall and ousting Brown!

"If the rest of us spent as much time on football as Davie Hamilton maybe East Fife wouldn't be in the position they are."

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can someone explain the above to me please? Previously, I had understood that Davie Hamilton was the vice chairman of East Fife for much of the past three or four years.

In opiion,Davie had a great chance and that chance was to stand tall(If that`s possible!) and support Dave Marshall when he resigned.
He didn`t and the fans will not forget that.

Hamilton MUST follow Brown & co. out the door, the man may have been involved in football for years, but that does not justify the fact that he has no BACKBONE. HAMMY HAMMY HAMMY, OUT OUT OUT!

Hamilton, MacKay and the rest have been told in no uncertain terms how to get rid of Brown several times. The ironic thing is they all hate his guts, and yet they have done sod all to boot him out.

Full scale change is neede although short term getting rid of Derrick will get me back in the ground.