Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
What a weekend - eh Eugene!

The WC finishing in controversy - T in the park causing mayhem - and Eugene missing out on OPERA!
Eugene referred to the 60's as the last bastion of when the youth new how to behave and have fun - a time when he had hair in which to put his flower - a time when we had great bands and knew how to have fun ( if you know what I mean) without the need to get blooterred - a mellow puff on the old weed - love in the air - and everywhere else for that matter - with the smell of a gardenia behind your lug - Ah those were the days. Madam Butterfly has always been a favourite of mine Eugene when I first saw it in the days of black and white telly - the young scallywags dont know they are living nowadays.

Re: What a weekend - eh Eugene!

Indeed Mike - how true!

If I can ever find it I'll post the photo of me in my kaftan. And I'll show you the dent in my left foot where the policehorse stood on me as I mounted the steps of the US embassy in Grosvenor Square during the anti-vietnam protests. Such fun!

You didn't have to make the remark about lack of hair you know.

Meant to add that the fishing is quite good on this forum.

I will look forward to the photo Eugene - the only war wound I have is the scar on my gluteas maximus - from 8 rather delicate teethmarks made in the height of passion by a well formed blonde wench in a kaftan who had over indulged in some excellent Jamaican janga - (kaftan? - no surely not!)

I really hope I can find it but there's a possibility my offspring may have burnt it some time ago to prevent future family embarassment.

My first opera was Tosca and my second was Wagner's Parsifal. if it had been the other way round I doubt if I'd ever have been back!

These youngies don't seem to grasp that you can enjoy lots of musical genres - in my case the Proms at the Albert Hall and the Stones concerts in Hyde park in the same week. And still enough change from a fiver for a fish supper and enough dope to help you through the night.

See this reminiscence therapy - it's rare!

Parsifal to heavy for me - while in London did you ever go to the Marquee in Wardour Street - I was usually there every week as I have a mate who was the drummer in a heavy metal band called Strider and they did a spot there every week when they were not touring - he played in one of Rod Stewarts bands for quite a few years and now has a studio in LA. I also had a Welsh friend who was a tenor and who used to mini-cab between gigs so I managed to get a few freebies to the London Opera House. Is all this remenising a sign of the aging process?

Que the neds from Chewin the Fat....."Hoi - Ya couple oh ******"

You're right about Parsifal. Apparently King Ludwig III was present at the first performance and asked Wagner at the end, "What the f*ck was that all about?" - he may have used different words.

Another coincidence - I too shared a flat in London with a drummer - from the Pretty Things! Also helped out with the sadly defunct International times when it was set up.

You know this is all making me feel younger - only 78!

Don't be so hard on yourself Eugene. You don't look a day over 65.

Eugene, I truly bow to you and Mikes superior knowledge of the 60's. Maybe one day my memory will return it hasn't today though

We are all young at heart Eugene - unfortunately the misspent youth takes its tole on the body - where did you stay in London - my first flat was on the Kings Road directly across from Safeways - and then Munster Road in Fulham - Cavendish Road in Clapham - also spent just over a year in Sutton - was in a highrise on Wimbledon Common and also a house on the Merton Road in Wandsworth next door to people who were friends of that vile character Gary Glitter who I did meet a few times but never really liked - Roald Dahl's daughter Tessa was also in the same social circle. I expect I will get lampooned with all this name dropping but thats only a fraction of it - I enjoyed my years in London but its like everything else when you go back it is never the same - I go to my brothers in Bromley frequently but its nice to get back to civilization.

Problem is Mike that for some reason or other lots of the details are a bit hazy.

I had about 15/16 different addresses between 1967 and 1971 and they included 2/3 places in tyhe Holland Park/Shepherds Bush area and a couple in Nottinghill as well as two squats somehwere around Covent Garden and a flat near Ealing Broadway.

Apart from specific events like the Stones concerts in Hyde Park - I can still remember how shocked I was hearing about Brian Jones and the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia on the same day - the main recollection is of feeling that we were really trying to achieve something by our protests.

There was a real belief we could make a better world through love and peace and dope etc. Mind you I was in Paris during the '68 riots and crapped it when I realised De Gaulle wasn't messing when he sent in the troops! I was there the first night but gently disappeared thereafter!

One of my most depressing experiences was going back to Stirling University during Thatcher's regime and noticing that the only evidence of student political activity was the Tory students.

Oh and another wee coincedence - I too visit my brother in that part of London - well Beckenham which I think is part of or next to Bromley. Any more of this and we'll have to get married!

Beckenham - you have got to be kidding - my brother lives in Kingsgate Court on the Wickham Road in Beckenham - is that weird or what? - is your Bruv nearby? - and nice though it was I cannot accept your proposal

Could this be the start of the first illicit affair on AFTN?

I smell love in the air.

Mine is in Kings Hall Road, very near Kent House station.

I wonder if we were ever at the same event in the 60's and what it was we both did to end our days at Bayview!

Eugene

I'd be delighted if you (and anyone else who fancies it) would like to write some political comment/articles for the Broken Down Halo section of the site

Sounds fun.

I'd try to be very careful and not upset anyone.

Any topics in particular?

I was more of a CND man myself with a few trips to the US bases in East Anglia and Lincolnshire - Dylan songs and music Festivals - Buxton was always one of my favourites - when you look back and compare the youth of today it seems like a different planet - I dont know about you but everyone seemed to pull together and help each other then - nowadays they are to busy - shooting up - fighting - stabbing each other - mugging old dears for there next score - or ganging up to give someone a kicking - with the usual whinge - "we have nothing to do" - they need to get a life.

...added to the fact that the world is arguably more f**ked up than it's ever been !!

I put it down to the average man or family having more modern 'luxuries' (big colour TV's, cable or sky, one or two cars, junk food on demand, internet satisfying all kinds of vices etc) and is more affluent (all-be-it that everone is debt-ridden and the ever-widening gap between the rich and poor has created an underclass). Unless your part of that underclass, no-one gives a shit or gives enough of a shit.
Sadly.

Ah, nostalgia just ain't what it used to be, eh lads?

Old fogies everywhere have been saying the same drivel for millenia. Get a grip!

Sydney Potter obviously = sad little oick if thats the best you can come up with - old fogies as you put have had interesting experiences and tales to tell and have helped to shape society - unfortunately we made a few errors and the result is you and your ilk.