Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Bruce Black

The last time the club had any type of success Bruce Black was at the helm - he also knows how to relate to supporters - so how come he was ever moved aside for the idiot that is Brown the Clown?

Re: Bruce Black

Derrick was never shy to put the boot into Bruce Black during some of his long winded, boring ramblings about how he single handedly saved East Fife FC from the brink of extinction during our "fans forums" with him.

If you compare Bruce Black's record in chair to Derrick Brown's its a case of night and day. I look forward to his return.

During our promotion and Centenary year, whilst everyone else was enjoying the celebrations,Derrick was busy plotting with his eventual backers to acheive control of the club.He did however condescend to allow Bruce to stay until the celebrations were over.If there is anyone out there who feels sorry for Derrick then there is really no need.

It's just a shame Dave that although Bruce Black was able to address the centenary dinner as the chairman of East Fife FC, the night was ruined by the conduct of the vice-chairman, who embarrassed the club in front of the rest of Scottish football with a performance that would have shamed a bingo caller.

No one in there right mind should ever feel sorry for the likes of Brown the Clown there are not sufficent adjectives to describe the egotistical little low life - he single handedly has ruined our club which was going along nicely under Bruce Black - how the clown can ever say he is a true East-Fife supporter after the damage he has done is beyond me. The deluded little man needs a psychiatrist for judging by his behaviour there is certainly something not right in his head. Begone you horrible little man.

Was it at the Centenary Dinner where Derrick got absolutley blitzed and was counting the money whilst someone was speaking? Or was that another occasion?

A non-East Fife supporting pal of mine was at this (or a similar) event and said that when the heavily drunk Deeek got up to say his bit he said something like "and i'd like to thank Peter Donald who... who ....does his job"

the counting and stacking of the 20p pieces was at a sportsmans dinner while one of the main guests was speaking

He was not too sober at the centenary dinner though. I think there was at least one occasion where he give someone a row for not listening to him. And it wasn't even Stewart!

It was at a Sportsmans Dinner at Buckhaven Community Centre where Brown was counting the coins whilst one of the guests were speaking.
I remember Willie Miller looking across and shaking his head in disbelief.

What a total embarrassment this person is.

I think our promotion had more to do with Jim Moffat and the players than Bruce Black!

and our demise was more to do with Jim Moffat and the players??? I doubt either statement is correct entirely

with the continued SUPPORT of Bruce Black etc I would like to think that Jim Moffat and the players would have progressed although my crystal ball aint that good, however what is true is that under Herr Broon we have plunged to depths that no living East Fife fan can remember.

I dont think anyone is saying that Bruce Black on his own was responsible for all the success gained under his Chair but what he was/is good at was/is leading and communicating, Broon gets nil points on both.

Can I just say something! I was recently paid what must be the greatest compliment any supporter can offer - I was told that I wasn't disliked as a Chairman! Looks like my place in history is safe.

Anyway, since I've been active recently in relation to the present chairmanship shenanigans perhaps I should say why, and where I stand.

Unlike many people that Derrick has crossed I actually have no axe to grind with him. I resigned because I thought it was the right time to do so, and not, unlike too many others, because I was pushed.

And unlike some involved in the current fracas I have no objective other than the best interests of the club. I have no great investment to protect, no current position to protect, and I am not looking for any position now or later; the logistics are too complicated.

I can see why it is felt by some (inc the man himself, of course) that in a strictly balance sheet sense Derrick Brown has looked after the company's affairs fairly well. But on and off the field it is a different story. This is a small town football club, and we need to be player-friendly, user-friendly, customer-friendly, supporter-friendly volunteer-friendly and community-friendly. And on all of these, and in public relations generally the club has failed completely and is really a disaster area.

I am encouraged that men of the business and football experience, the calibre, and the resources of Willie Gray and Sid Collumbine want to get involved seriously in East Fife. I think we should take the view that they represent the best hope for the future and that they should be helped and encouraged to take charge of the club's affairs. I am aware that they intend to work closely together and they will make a formidable team. That is why I have supported the Collumbine bid and will continue to do so while I think it is being taken forward in the Club's best interests.

It is good to be able to report that Sid Collumbine's bid for a sizeable shareholding has been very successful, and that his initiative has the support of at least three former chairmen(not counting J Danskin!) and at least eight former directors.

I have seen the text of the letter sent out by David Stevenson - though I don't seem to have received a copy - and am puzzled that Dave and his unnamed associates are so opposed to further investment and new blood on the Board and indeed at the top. That is how all football clubs move forward and develop.

It looks like blind protectionism of a status quo that is past its credibility date. And also, the investment being offered by the Supporters Trust is of such an importance and such a size that in almost any other club it would take around two seconds to welcome such an offer. Our Board really has to do the same, and accept all the reasonable conditions and requests the Trust attaches to it.

So will it all succeed? Almost certainly, given the alliances now established to bring change about. It has already really taken too long as a result of the current Chairman's unwillingness to accept the inevitable as being in the best interests of the club.

It is always unedifying to feel that people are putting their own position first. I hope that this isn't the position with the current Chairman and that he will take an early opportunity to stand aside and retire from the Board (as Chairmen always do at football clubs when they demit office)with credit for what he has done for the club.

I think that outcome is clearly best for the club and I would certainly need to be persuaded to support anything less or different.

Thanks for the update Bruce, I am sure that most supporters will agree that your words give us all hope for the future of East Fife FC.

I have stayed in the shadows of this whole mess for a long time now, I have sat on the fence taking no sides as I see valid points from all involved but after seeing these comments from Bruce I can see much more hope on the horizon and now look forward to the coming season.

Good reading,Bruce.

Did you see the dawn come up in Inverness?

"It is always unedifying to feel that people are putting their own position first. I hope that this isn't the position with the current Chairman and that he will take an early opportunity to stand aside and retire from the Board (as Chairmen always do at football clubs when they demit office)with credit for what he has done for the club."

Nice wee Gem thrown in there at the end Bruce! Should Derrick be ousted as chairman, it'll be a real measure of his dignity (or lack of) to see if he (or his wife) remain on the board.

Is it just me or is anyone else really looking forward to going to Durham now! I was anyway but the news that is being filtered through by Bruce makes it that wee bit easier to look forward to!

Got to say nice one Bruce,Kerriann Durham can't come quick enough for us we are all looking forward to it, It will be a great weekend,If you are all having trouble with your keyboards see Azz he will give you all a good deal on a new one.RoF

It's just nice to hear some honesty for a change compared to what we're used to and the constant citing of confidentiality.

For what it's worth Bruce, you and Sid have AFTNs full backing in your bid and feel free to use the site and forum to help your aims in any way you see fit.

If there's anything you want put up on the main site as well, then just say. Going to put up some of the stuff you've already posted.

Can't wait for the weekend. Just hope my new flag arrives in time!

I've been silent for some time, but am prompted to say that this is the most encouraging set of posts I've read here for some time.

Just one point, though. The people who are ready to get involved and set the club straight again are certainly experienced, and with dosh to spend. But it isn't just about money. We need to have confidence and trust in the Board and although he doesn't actually say so I hope I can assume that Bruce is coming back onto the Board.

This all sounds very promising.

It is significant that the Collumbine/Gray/Black initiative has the support of, as Bruce says, three former chairmen and eight former directors. I think I am correct in saying that those eleven individuals represent every single former board member who retains a shareholding in EFFC, over a period of (at least) 35 years. To me, that says more about the pros and cons of the Collumbine offer than any amount of agonising on here.

This hasn't happened by chance. A lot of unseen work has gone into reaching this position. I don't think I would be too far off the mark if I said that maybe only Bruce Black has the respect, status, leadership qualities and communication skills to pull this off.

My only quibble would be with Bruce's statement that he has no axe to grind with Derrick Brown. To be honest Bruce, the only axe most of us grind is for the very cause that made you take action - the dramatic demise of the team we support, and the wayward direction of the club - hijacked by the most unsuitable 'leader' in town. Yes, personality issues have come to the fore, but only because Brown lashes out when anyone dares to hold him to account.