Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
A plea to Eugene.

Whilst having the greatest respect for you Eugene and for the high profile part you have played both as a member of the supporters trust and the protest group. Can I pass comment the the remarks you make about returning to Bayview and that others should make up their own minds as to what to do if Brown stays. Off course we are all adults and this is obviously correct, however the reason I feel so much has been achieved to date is because the fans have remained united throughout, despite many attempts by Derrick to demonise and divide us.

Now, desite any exact wording of previous statements made, it has been generally accepted by most people I believe that the protests would continue untill Derrick Brown left Bayview. The longer the protests continued and the increasingly negative comments made by Derrick towards the protesters only hardened most peoples resolve in this matter.

Obviously as you say people will, at the end of the day make up their own minds as to what to do.

However, can I urge you at this stage to reconsider your decission and take into account what the majority of protesters feel about this.

I am sure the trust could negotiate some kind of compromise, such as a press release stating that Derrick WILL be leaving the club. That would be enough for me and hopefully others would agree.

If Brown stays, it will cause bad feeling and divide what has become a strong bond between East Fife supporters.

We have all been through a lot, lets see it through to the end!

Can I also add that although I have little time for Derrick Brown after the way he has conducted himself during his time as chairman, I am not trying to conduct a personal hate campaign against him.

He should leave in the best interests of East Fife, we can achieve this if we remain united.

Re: A plea to Eugene.

the shoogley baws marshal knows the truth says the scrap man

davey hamilton for president the mans worth his weight in smack

I fully agree with JJ, the club must make it openly clear that Derrick Brown WILL be leaving the club, and that has to be as soon as possible (i.e Monday)

After Thursday's meeting and prior to going to Durham, I fully intended to return to Bayview when Derrick was ousted as chairman. My thoughts were that he would have no control in the club and that I would allow all the behind the scenes stuff to continue whilst I (finally) made a return to Bayview.

However, after a fantastic weekend in Durham, my thoughts have changed. I fully support Willie Gray and the efforts he and others are making to rid the club of the stain that is Brown. I know for certain that alot of legal wrangling will be going on if Derrick decides not to walk on Monday, hence the reason for another postion being given. But, whilst I support the soon-to-be chairman, I have decided to stick with my fellow supporters. The mood of the weekend was something that each and every East Fife fan can be proud of and I am honoured to be a part of it.

I wish the new regime all the best and I look forward to returning to the home games soon but only when Derrick has no role to play in our Club.

FANS UNITED WILL NEVER BE DEFEATED

I fully agree with Kerriann, speaking to many supporters it is clear that Brown can never be accepted in any role at Bayview, and with Willie and Sid spending much of their time out of the country Derrick might be left alone to continue to cause trouble and spread poison at the club.

If worst comes to worst next week, and he accepts any role at Bayview then it will take one last push to get rid of him.

But rest assured, the back has been broken, we are 99.9% there, and one final push is well within our capabilities. Looking back on what we have achieved so far I have no doubt at all that we will win.

Down with Brown

It would clarly be good if everyone agreed on the same course of action but I suspect that might be difficult to achieve.

My view is that a suspended protest subject to the conditions GoF mentions in his report of last Thursday's meeting is the best compromise position.

As I say elsewhere if the new set-up doesn't produce the changes required then I'll cheerfully admit I was wrong and will continue to protest.

Which do people think would be better?

A) a complete suspension of the protest tied to a review meeting of protestors in say 1st/2nd week in September at which the protest could be restarted if need be

or

B) a continuation of the protest by a smaller group of people who are not willing to compromise on the Brown position but with others previous protestors doing as I propose to do.

Whichever option you go for I think it's important to be clear about what our individual motives are.

Am I going back because I genuinely believe it is the best course of action for the club or because I'm scunnered driving 50 miles to stand on a mound? I'm pretty sure it's the first of these mainly but I most certainly will feel uncomfortable if I stop but my friends and fellow protestors continue.

Are those who wish to continue the protest doing so because they believe the club will not really change or because they're caught up in some solidarity issue that makes them feel good? Are they focussed on the future of the club or only of Derrick Brown?

It's difficult. Let's hope we all manage to stay friends and fellow supporters throughout the next few weeks.

There is no doubt that Willie and Sid's desire to see Derrick's total departure from the clubis real.It would appear that there is "a local difficulty" to achieving this.Whilst in Durham I approached this exact subject with several officials of the club and whilst admitting a problem existed,to a person,they were not prepared to reveal what it was and could not understand why I was not prepared to go along with it.I suggested that in order to get the trust of the fans the club had to trust us and tell us the truth.I remain hopeful but concerned.

I think we should wait till any announcement next week,absorb the information,and decide our reaction.To the Mole I say" let's see what story we are expected to swallow" before we start feeling duped.If we have any doubts at all we should, without doubt,remain on protest together.I am definately not an advocate of suspending the protests.We should not abandon the fight until we know that the battle is won.A 3 month suspension was offered to us by Derrick in June and was immediately thrown back in his face.I see how the club would benefit from a truce but I can't see for the life me any real help to us.I told Willie on Thursday that I resigned in order to see Derrick's removal from the club and whilst he remained,I would speak out.That remains my position.

Whilst talking to one of the aforementioned officials it was put to me that all we asked for was to see Derrick's removal as chairman and had no right now to move the goalposts.I suggested that,yet again,the club had got it wrong and were in grave danger of scoring another gigantic own goal.I, however, repeat that I believe we should wait any announcement and after measured judgement,make our decision on our next move together.

I would like to thank everyone who travelled to Durham for making it such an enjoyable experience.It was obvious that the very fans described as "a stain on the Club's character" by the departing chairman,are indeed amongst it's best ambassadors.

Good post Dave.

But it worries me that the club official you spoke to thinks that all that the protestors want is Brown replaced as CHAIRMAN, and he can continue in another role. This backs up what The Mole has been warning us about.

Very good post Dave.

The Vole - the soon-to-be new chairman knows very very well that the majority of protestors will settle only for total removal.

Now, I'm off to see a man about a chicken

The Vole

I think the official concerned was in a minority of one but I wanted to make us aware that that opinion was present.

All over the time in Durham, Derrick was a lonely,sad looking,isolated figure.It was too severe to be a pretence in order to dupe us.No" friends" could have wanted one of their own to endure what Derrick went through as a pretence to fool his detractors.

I'm encouraged by Dave's realistic stance. It does make sense to await the club's statement in the next day or two, and then we will all have a better indication of the direction the club intends to take.

The statement will probably be more significant for what it does not say, than for what it does say.

And it will be interesting to see who the club spokesman is...

Agree. We have to wait before anything but if its not soon and what we want then the club might be looking at a lost cause.

Concerned at what that official said to you Dave.

Do the protest leaders have an action plan ready for all outcomes of any announcements?

I've warned before that a very unsatisfactory fudge was in the offing. The new regime doesn't intend to ditch DB immediately. But that's a decision they're almost certainly making in their own (financial) interests and not in my view in the interests of the club.

Supporters have been very clear that they want Brown out of the club, and before the start of the season and that should continue to be the position.

If what has been said about the continued presence of Brown is accurate and confirmed by the club the conditions I've previously mentioned will not have been met.

It is inevitable therefore that the protest will continue.

See you on the mound.

Good lad, Eugene

Thank you!