Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Brown as paid secretary / treasurer - NO WAY

Brown is being set up as the secretary / treasure in the new set up - NO WAY - BROWN OUT - why should this idiot be paid by supporters cash after the way he has treated them - wake up new regime - Brown has to go.

Re: Brown as paid secretary / treasurer - NO WAY

NO WAY!!!!!!!!He's got to walk.Christ that mans like a floating shit in a toilet that takes ages ti flush awa!!!!!!!

They are avin a laugh hee is getting no money from me BROWN OUT TOTALLY!

Remember, he is now a paid employee. I wonder what would constitute gross misconduct in the boards' books. Not that that should ever be provoked.

For the record though, I agree - Black and Gold not Brown.

This of course if true could simply be a device to allow him a pay-off.

The Board decide to dispense with his services after 10 minutes and pay up his 3 year contract in full - all nice and legal.

I would imagine any such arrangement could be subject to shareholders' approval and if need be an EGM could be called to approve/reject such a proposal although this won't happen unless someone calls it.

I haven’t commented much over the summer based on all the rumours etc, but now that we have an official statement I will.

I don’t know what is worse, assuming DB is getting money/shares for his services as chairman or actually knowing he is being paid as Secretary/Treasurer. This is not what I wanted to hear, I was so looking forward to going on Saturday, in fact I've been looking forward to the new season with renewed optimism, optimism that I haven’t had for a long time.

But I will be missing, me and my camera will have to find somewhere else to go on match days, anybody getting married in need of a tog?

Mr. Gray and Mr. Columbine, please, please listen and persuade Mr. Brown to resign from anything to do with EFFC, for the good of the club and for the good of Mr. Brown, if not the protest will rumble on and on with the ultimate demise of our great club.

Hmmm,let me think. I pay good money to watch East Fife and part of that goes towards paying Derrick Brown a wage......NO CHANCE!

See you all on the Mound.

Where's the official statement? Can someone post it on here please?

Ta

A pay-off is a settlement based on entitlement. It is only offered to salaried employees. As far as we know, Derrick Brown is not a salaried employee of East Fife FC.

If he serves only ten minutes in his new role, he has no entitlement to a three-year pay-off, regardless of what his contract may say. To make a person redundant, only three month's notice should be required. Three years? You wouldn't get three years' money even if you were chairman of ICI with a watertight contract and the best lawyer in the city.

Derrick Brown can be removed from East Fife FC without putting a penny in his pocket, if the desire is there at boardroom level. It is quite clear that the desire to achieve this is NOT there.

Info can be found on backpage of EFM

What a disgrace!

We simply can't give up the fight now. We have came this far to rid Brown of our club and we are getting there. We must continue the protests until he is completely removed from our club.

Any chance of someone posting a scanned image of the back page somewhere?
The EFM website hasn't been updated yet this week.

It's part of a quote attributed to Mr Collumbine that concerns me "He will have a role but under our control. Anything he does will have to be cleared by the board like any other director" Does this mean he is still on the Board?

You can usually view these articles on fifetoday.co.uk under the sport tab.

...nail on the head, SK. A part-time lacky I could just about live with, if he was then quickly dumped, but the quote you mention along with the title of Secretary seems to suggest he's still a Director. This is wholly unacceptable.

I would encourage everyone to come to the Wellesley at 2pm on Saturday before going to the mound, I have a few things to say.

Here's the front page bit of the article:

A NEW CHAIRMAN AT NEW BAYVIEW by James Campbell

CONTROVERSIAL figure Derrick Brown has finally been ousted from his position as East Fife chairman.

But the unpopular figurehead will stay at the club as a part-time treasurer/secretary which could prolong the supporters' protests.

This week Willie Gray will officially become chairman with new director Sid Collumbine as vice-chairman. Mr Collumbine has promised a more open and democratic way of running the club.

He said: "This will be the start of our new open plan. We don't want this to be a one-man band".

Mr Collumbine hopes this decisive move will encourage fans to return to Bayview.

He said: "Hopefully, we can start talking to the Supporters' Trust, bring back the fans and get them involved."

A sticking point remains as to whether Mr Brown should have a role in the club. But Mr Collumbine explained: "I know he is not well liked but from certain points of view he has done a good job."

Haven't got time to type up the back page story as have to head off to work the now, but maybe someone else can.

One of the quotes from the back is Collumbine talking about Brown:

"Financially, he has kept the club in credit but in image terms and public relations he has been poor".

Very disappointing and certainly not the kind of statement we were thinking we'd be reading and it's certainly not acceptable.

I would have grudgingly accepted Derrick being secretary (he wanted to be Managing director or cheif executive but I know for a fact that Willie and Sid said no way to that) if it was on the proviso that it was short term and he'd be leaving the whole club in every capacity and soon. But we cannot take this as it stands.

It was made clear to the meeting on Thursday the damage he has done the club in the local community. No one will still want to be involved with us whilst he's still around.

And where does this leave the lovely Leona? And is he still on the Board and what of Brown Betty?

There will be no season tickets bought, players sponsored, hospitality taken or merchandise bought till the man vacates the building. Do they not realise this?

If nothing else this should strengthen all of our resolves and intensify the protests.

Let's leave no-one in any doubt how we feel about the man on Saturday and onwards.

Fans United Will Never Be Defeated

Here here GoF, we can sit on the net all day getting worked up about this but Saturday will be the chance to stand up and show everyone at EFFC that Brown MUST go, and we won't let up until he is kicked out for good.

To all the people complaining that he's still a director and how this is unacceptable..

Unless he resigns, he cannot be removed as a director by the board, only an AGM or EGM can do this (I think).

If the new board can state that his position is on a part time basis until such time as he can be replaced by a permanent member of staff, then they may get people back on side.
Otherwise, I'll see you on the mound and at Coatbridge next month.

Guys - wowee, Collombine and Gray have certainly worked a flanker in their new roles.

All this guff about talking to the fans is just window dressing. Both have track records of not engaging supporters and won't change. They are only interested in the blazer.

Best of luck.

We have made our position very clear. We cannot work with Mr Brown in any capacity and cannot play our part at Bayview as long as he is there.

Thing is, he could probably be a very good treasurer/secretary, but he's well and truly pissed on his chips as far as this club is concerned.

Time he woke up and smelt the coffee.

Gray has a colourful background so say the least but he deserves a chance. Afterall he has certainly opened the purse strings and has allowed Baikie to bring in a squad capable of winning the league.

Why would Gray splash the cash in exchange for a blazer? He would have the blazer regardless if we were struggling at the bottom of the league anyway.

I know this won't sit well with everyone but I still back Willie Gray in all this.

It's his cash that has the players we have just now.

It's his cash that paid for the Durham trip.

It's his determination that has at least removed Derrick from being Chairman, albeit to the unsatisfactory position we are now in.

Ok, he's not perfect. Ok, he messed up at the Rovers, but personally I'm prepared to give him a chance to prove his doubters wrong and take East Fife to new heights.

He's stated he wants to pass the Rovers on the way up, so he has a point to prove.

He said at the meeting that his main role will be to work with Dave Baikie on the day to day playing front. Looking at who he's allowed Dave to bring in.

It's not a case of the fans being taken in or carpetbagging.

Sid, I know nothing about and have never met so can't comment.

But if Willie Gray can remove Derrick from the club and soon, then he will have my backing and I'll give him a chance.

Gof, it is GRAY & SID who have kept broon in tow!!!!

Geezo, when will some of you guys get it?

Gray is as much of a problem to us as Brown. It gives me no satisfaction at all for my predictions about what was going to happen to have been proved right.

There is no way anyone, not even Willie Gray, would be stupid enough to give someone a paid job if it was their intention to get rid of that person as soon as possible. No, what's really happening here is that Gray is having a wonderful time at our expense.

And Brown will still be a director, because you need to be according to the SFA constitution which is available to download from the SFA website.

Gray meanwhile enjoys nothing more than mocking internet users and trust members and make no mistake, he will have given Derrick a paid job just to wind us all up.

Yes, he's thrown cash at the club, simply because he loves to think he's being looked up to as Mr Big Fish in his Little Pond. In fact what he's really doing is crudely trying to buy loyalty / friendship / respect because he does not have the character to earn it. That does not make him a man worthy of leading the club.

Sadly it seems there are still a few prominent players who haven't yet "twigged" this, despite my warnings and the entirely independent warnings of supporters of other clubs who are able to take a detached view.

Today's press article was entirely predictable and, for my next forecast, I guarantee that they will just try to laugh off any protests on Saturday.

All supporters MUST realise that Brown is not the only problem at the club.

The Mole, you are so far off the mark it is embarrassing.

I've read all the posts on this, and special note of Eugene's comments too.

I understand, completely and fully Eugene's reasoning, and in aniother life may have actually agreed.

However, experience is the only qualification for opinion here, and I have to tell you all that Gray and Collombine have suckered you.

It's understandable to grasp at a lifeline when you are drowning - any port in a storm etcetera.

Getting rid of Brown is an inevitability and came about as a direct result of EF fans vigorous campaigning. Negative press is never good and he will leave. The majority shareholder will make sure of that.

But what you will be left with, long term, will have a damaging effect on the stability of the club.

Gray is a control freak and NOT an EF fan. You may not think this is important, but it is. Very much so.

"The Mole" is correct.

As I said, best of luck. Hopefully things will work out. Short-term there will be a glow, but the 'fix' will not last.

Igor, I have a lot of repect for you but I am sorry to say that it is in fact you who is far off the mark. I do not feel happy saying this, but your dismissal of the Mole has done you no favours. You should only tell someone that they are wrong if you are on solid ground. I don't like to say this, but you're definitely not on solid ground on this one.

I'm a bit concerned at some of the things I read. Perhaps I could just add a couple of comments.

Firstly, substantial sums of money have been and will be put into the club by Messrs Collumbine and Gray and both are experienced business and football people. No one can think, surely that they are doing this either to prop up Derrick Brown or to take orders from him. It will be absolutely the other way for as long as the arrangement lasts. Maybe not long at that.

And secondly, this football club of ours has gone through a very bad patch when trust and confidence went right out of the window. We cannot go on not trusting anyone without giving them a chance or the club will become unmanageable.

I do think that we have to let the new major investors/shareholders do what they think from their experience is best for the club at this difficult time. If after a reasonable interval, which has to be more than five minutes, there are still real problems and feelings of discontent then that will be the time to take them to task.

What we are seeing is not a victory for fan power or for the money men. Frankly neither could have taken us to this point without the other and the only real way forward will be to maintain that partnership in a spirit of mutual respect and a shared interest in restoring success on the field and stability off it.

Must agree Bruce, We are making this to personal and fear that the same men who are investing in our club may in fact take the view "why bother" Plenty other small clubs in Scotland that would be thankful of any investment.

Turn up on Saturday and support the very team you are fighting for.

I firmly agree, We shouldn't go sticking the knife in

when Gray/Collumbine have only just got their foot in

the door but i don't agree on going down on saturday

to fully support the team unless that support are

stood on the mound, I have already posted that after

20 years of supporting the Fife i will no longer be

attending any home games be it in the stand or out

on the mound until Brown has well and truly left

Bayview(plus it is a 150 mile round trip for me).

Until his day of departure my Scarf will be placed in

the wardrobe results will be viewed from the comfort

of my own home. I hate not going to Bayview but i

Just don't have the same drive to attend a game when

i know Derrick Brown still has a title at East Fife

Football Club.

JUST DO US ALL A FOVOUR AND WALK AWAY DERRICK!!!

Bruce I would agree with the comments about investment and experience, would also agree of the need to get the club moving forward. I have no problem at all in giving the new board time. I do however have great belief in the aims to remove Brown completly. Fans who have protested have not done so out of spite, they have done so out of belief in justice and love for their club. It happens to be stomache churning for me to believe, that the experience and investment that I am glad is being brought to this club, should not take account of the aims of the protestors. Somewhere in this emmotive issue is a middle ground, this needs to be sought. Perhaps a statement outlining a timeline for Browns departure would suffice. More importantly the paid role identified should be seriously considered, this is what sticks in the 'craw' of most supporters. Addressing these issues in an open and transparent way may be the catalyst for moving forward. Personally, I just want to be back in the ground, buying programmes, attending functions, supporting my team and club. This I am afraid is not possible for me if this is the answer to my and the majority of EF Supporters hopes.

"Watching", I am not surprised that you are not putting a name to that post because you are simply another anonymous shit stirrer. I am fully aware of what is happening "behind the scenes" and it's plain to see that "The Mole" has a hidden agenda here and is trying to come from the angle of the protesters for his own gains.

Remember it happened before with "protesters" saying that it was job done etc, when brown was nowhere near ready to leave, now we have the opposite with guys like "The Mole" trying to de-rail our aims and divert our anger to other sources, sources that are a threat to his fathers power.

Yes, I said his father. We are on to you Moley.

M Black - my reading of Bruce's post, carefully worded as I suppose it has to be, is that getting rid of DB completely is certainly the objective. But probably at this stage, with negotiations still going on, it just cannot be spelled out in so many words.

I would agree with that EOTB. There is so much going on that my head is spinning and I can't seem to keep up! However, the new regime have my backing on all but one of the issues. Unfortunately, this is the biggest sticking point. I do believe though, that this will not be for long. Sooner or later (hopefully sooner) the rope he is being provided with will be too tempting. He cannot fail to fail. It seems to be a special (?) trait he has.

EOTB Totally agree that this is the ultimate objective of the new board, and it must be applauded. What I am a little disappointed in is at the first opportunity of openess and transparency there is a reluctance to enact this. Now there may be perfectly sound reasons for this, but I am sure you will agree that this is difficult for fans involved in the protest to comprehend. I don't think Sid's defence of Brown's financial attributes hit the spot with fans either. There are many questions still unanswered over shareholding that would question probity in these dealings

What is making me mad about all of this are the volunteers at the club, who give off their time etc and help out for the good of the club, so why should they when the club can "pay" a so called Treasurer/Secretary,

Maybe they will all be asked to leave!!! as they have such an efficient worker, ha,ha, they need to get a grip.

All
I have been away from Methil for many many years, but always watched with interest the exploits of East Fife, now that I have found a few East Fife related sites, I need brought up to speed with help in understanding fully whats going on with Brown and the Board. Please can someone or many email me with some detail. Cheers

It's all here http://down-with-brown.blogspot.com/ and here http://www.aftn.co.uk/protestseason.html

Maybe Moley needs to be outed in more than one way

Cheers Igor
Interesting reading, he sounds a right gem of an individual, maybe he is on his way out? I will be making my first trip back to watch East Fife this coming Monday in 20 years. I cant wait to meet Browne, an unknown face asking him a few searching questions. Watch my web site for his response.

Are you suggesting "The Mole" needs to "come out".

That would really "blow the whistle" and call "full time" on his part time career.

Never mind, sure he will have some "video highlights", complete with socks.

Chase me,chase me!

Let me get this STRAIGHT, Sherlock (sorry, Igor). You've been spending your day trying to work out who I am and have reached the firm conclusion that I am Colin Brown.

Sir, you are a TWAT of the first order. For the avoidance of doubt, I am not Colin Brown. In fact I cannot think of anyone I am less like.

More to the point, why are you, supposedly a leader in all of this, wasting your time on me? Yes, I can just see the East Fife Mail headlines next week. "Mole Outed by DCI Igor" - well that will certainly earn you your place in East Fife's history!!

I may be annoying you by pointing out your shortcomings (although I am not alone in this) but why can't you, and happily just a few of your colleagues, get it into your thick heads that I am on your f***ing side!!

All I am trying to do is warn you what you are getting into, even if Derrick goes, which he won't in the short / medium term.

All I ask is that you devote your energies to engaging with other supporters and canvassing their views on Saturday and don't just stand up at the meeting on Saturday and spout the Gospel according to Igor. LISTEN to what people are saying. Take note of what Sons Fan and others are saying.

I tell you what. On Saturday, why don't you (or indeed anyone) seize the opportunity that you have ask any / all Raith supporters what they think.

Pick a fan, any fan, and you'll see what I mean.

Now, getting back to Derrick, I say again, why is it that he has been given a paid job now if it is supposedly the agreed objective of Gray and Collumbine that he'll be thrown out soon?

That is not a rhetorical question, by the way. That is a direct question to igor and anyone else that still believes Brown is truly on his way out.

And finally to Bruce, for whom I have much admiration, normally what you are saying about giving the new incumbents time would be correct of course. But honestly, Bruce, this is not a normal situation here. All I ask is that, in any dealings you may have with the Chairman designate, please keep asking yourself "Is he really being genuine here, or am I having my plonker pulled?"

Now, leaders, ffs get a grip and get this campaign back on track!!!

Igor should lead the protests from a Podeium placed on the mound! The man simply is a dancing queen!

The Mole,

I KNOW for a fact that you are not on our side because some of your info is entirely flawed. IF you were so close to the board you would either tell the truth (which would mean changing your story about a Gra-Brown friendship/alliance etc) or you would put a spin on it for your own agenda.

Either way you remain a useless nonce, you think we came this far by posting anonymous internet forum posts? No, we have engaged in a REAL LIFE campaign. You want me to speak to fans about their views? I have done this from start to finish - in REAL LIFE. You don't mean that though, you want me to take views of anonymous internet fans, well if those fans exist they can speak to me on Saturday.

Fortunately for East Fife FC, this whole situation will not last much longer, and the minute Brown is out that door the rug is swept from under your feet. That will be the last we'll hear of you.

Until then, keep wasting your time "helping"

Igor please give this up. You are making a fool of yourself.

You are right, this is no place to be talking about such matters, i'd rather speak face to face. See you both in the wellesley tomorow.

Or not?

Sir,

You talk about anonymous internet posts, effectively criticising the vast majority of posters on this forum (I am assuming of course that your name is indeed igor!!).

Yet you fail to answer a single point I raised last night.

Maybe there won't be very many at the Wellesley to listen to you after all. Why should we? You are proving yourself to be unworthy of attention by your ill-considered postings here.

Will you listen (to Raith fans as well) or will you continue to put your fingers in your ears and go "LA LA LA LA"?

But you are wrong about something else as well. If, by any miracle, the new employee is indeed sacked within days or weeks, I will not be going anywhere because then the job will only be half done. Right now, the job is only about 10% done.

Why don't you just get on with the other 90%?

Or do you still think I'm Colin Brown and you're going to make me Public Enemy #1 instead of the real targets here?

Mole - you have to lot of intersting tales to tell.
Will you be at the Welesley tomorrow as I'm all ears.

Mole,
Now that you feel Igor is "unworthy of attention" can you tell us what active role you plan to play.
You are obviously trusted to be around EFFC staff and players directors and you claim to be able to understand the viewpoint of various individuals including RR and Sons fans.
My question is, what are you actually going to do. Give us the key actions that need to be taken to get EFFC in order.
Igor had a plan and was prepared to stand up and ask for support. This is now your chance to do the same.

I am working in the morning, but will get there if I can, as early as I can. However, in view of of the fact that my detractors would no doubt take great pleasure in "outing me" to Gray, if not to Brown, I am not of a mind to allow them that opportunity.

Which is a great pity, because nothing would give me greater pleasure than to recount more little anecdotes.

No doubt igor will call me a coward for that, but I cannot continue to serve you with the inside track if my identity is known.

And igor no, I am not tomorrow's match referee either!!

Right Moley - what is your agenda? Who is the real target you harp on about? Please tell us. It really is about time you came out and told us what you stand for. We know what Igor and the protestors stand for (and about 90% of the people who post here too). What is your problem? No really, what is it with you? On an earlier post I thought you were a self-righteous, partonising shit stirrer. I stand by that, but can I also add that you're a pompous (Sir!) and cowardly shit stirrer too. There, I feel better already and I'm sure you do too 'cos I have a feeling you're just the sort of saddo who revels in all of this.

There is a new regime in place at Bayview, they have not yet got their feet under the table and you want them out. Why? How do they threaten you or your interests? As far as many of us are concerned the job is certainly more than 10% done and many of us are happy that Broon will be a just a bad memory in the not too distant future. If Gray and Collumbine go down the same road they will be held to account, but let's just see what happens eh?

The Mole,

Your post re Willie Gray is totally off the mark, with regards to Derrick Brown and paid employment, note the comments in the EF mail and Courier, Willie had no discussion and comment to make in the article, that's because he was not aware of the dealings between Collumbine and Brown.

So your ear is not as close to the ground as you think!

There will be more to come take it from me!

Are you all mugs or what? Ignore Mole and like any other twat that haunts this forum he will go away.

The Mole? What are you actually doing apart from posting comments on here and avoiding real life activism to protect whatever position it is you have?

You are pathetic, go away.