Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
What now?

We have now passed the first anniversary of the start of the protests against Brown's presence at the club. I know the initial protest was twinned with the sale of shares issue and after being given 1/2 a loaf petered out. But some of us have continued against Brown and not been in the ground since the beginning. Only after the denial of the second tranche did the visible protest begin again and has been active for quite a few months now and still is strong. At the meeting on Thurs it was voted to continue until Brown has left or at least we can be convinced that positive steps are being taken for his removal.

There is some hidden motive for why Brown has been retained as a paid employee and the answers given by the board just do not cut the mustard. For all the initial talk of openess by the new boys there is little information forthcoming on tackling the Brown problem which is splitting the club and supporters on what should be done. Mind you we were told at a previous meeting that Brown would be staying but not informed it would be in a paid position or even why he must stay. We can all speculate the reasons and some may be accurate but FACTS given by the board would be better than the rumours flying around.

It does appear that some are drifting back and possibly some others have just given up and have decided that East Fife is not for them any more and going shopping with the wife on Saturday afternoons is a preferable option.

But I am heartened by the numbers at the meeting on Thurs and on the mound today. This shows there is still a strong feeling that Brown should not be at our club, and rightly so for many reasons. I also sometimes wondered that we are only on a witch-hunt but the reasons given on Thurs reminded me of the type of man Brown is and the essential need that for EFFC to progress he needs to be gone.

There has been some progress as Brown has been removed as chairman but I am concerned the deal for this to happen may backfire. Anyway it will now be up to the new chairman to decide if he wants Brown still on the board or any postion at EFFC and put up with a continuing protest with possibly new revelations coming out. Or will he do his damndest to get him out.

This is why the protests must go on. They can do it if they really try and not just look for the easy life.

Keep up the pressure.

Re: What now?

Following a very poor attendance on the mound today I think it`s time to call a halt to the so called protest. I felt embarrassed for you all today and you are now becoming a laughing stock (Mr Brown will be very satisfied this morning)

Either get back into the ground or please stay away for the benefit of the rest of the attending supporters.

Following a very poor attendance at the game today I think it`s time to call a halt to the matches. I felt embarrassed for you all today and you are now becoming a laughing stock

It may be that a less public approach is required to complement the mound protest.

It is inevitable that the mound protest will have a diminishing impact purely because it has been going on for so long - it's hard to interest the media, for example, when basically nothing new has happened.
In addition a lot of non football folk on hearing that Brown is no longer chairman will assume that everything's OK

Rest assured there are four different attacks being made on Brown's position at the moment, each involving major public organisations. For obvious reasons details can't be put on here but be assured - the fight is going on and, I believe, will get us the result we want.

As Eugene says, it was inevitable that the mound protest would have a diminishing effect, and I think the protestors are doing the right thing in following other routes to achieving the removal of Mr Brown.

I think at this point though, it is important to congratulate everyone involved on what has been achieved thus far.

You can never get everyone to agree on the tactics for these things but asides from the heads-in-the-sand minority, I think everyone agreed that the way the Club was being run was downright unhealthy.

There's a way to go, and it sounds like the process goes on, but at least now we're out of the rut of apathy and resignation we seemed to be in. This always seemed the biggest threat to change but this has been conquered quite successfully. Well done on this.

I want what is best for the Club. A year ago I could not see how this would ever be achieved. I now believe we have a chance, and that is no mean achievement. Well done, everyone.

Eugene's post gives me heart.

But we should not forget that those who stand on the mound are not just trying to provide a visible protest. They are there because they want to see the team they have supported all their lives, but do not want to provide financial assistance to Brown in any shape or form.

They could also deny the club income by simply staying away completely, which is what so many others have chosen to do. Please don't criticise them for their chosen stance. If there were more like them, this mess would have been sorted out long ago.

Anti-protest, why do you refer to it as a "so called protest"? The protest is the genuine atricle - there's nothing so called about it. It has had a massive effect in transforming the club from where it was 12 months ago, to where it is now. The protest has brought about much of the changes that we are seeing now and hope to benefit from in the future.

As for you feeling embarassed, there's honestly no need. Just don't concern yourself with it - we're easy to ignore - unless you are Derrick Brown of course. He's tried to ignore it, but he can't.

Interesting phrase you use - "embarassed". Derrick told me that he felt embarassed for igor when the protests began - did he still feel embarassed for him the day of the march?

Protesting isn't for everyone - I accept that. But I am not willing to sit back and watch Derrick Brown ruin MY club. Protests may change, the mound tatic won't go on forever, but until Brown has gone from MY club, I must decline your request to end my part in the protest.

You're right Ex-I10. It's quite funny to think that one of the suckers who sit in the stand, get served up total mince week after week, and do nothing about it, can actually feel "embarrassed" about other people. I can't think of a bigger embarrassment than than those who did nothing while their club hit the lowest ever point in its history.

Spot on guys.When Broons gone i can just here them."he was no good for this club","happy days again",now hopefully we'll get a better crowd"bla bla bla.Truth be known however, is that more than half ov the supporters who say it , have done fuck all about it.Will be hard to stomach sitting there knowing this.Still the quiker i'm/were in the better for East Fife football club.

“Anti-protest, why do you refer to it as a "so called protest"? The protest is the genuine article - there's nothing so called about it. It has had a massive effect in transforming the club from where it was 12 months ago, to where it is now. The protest has brought about much of the changes that we are seeing now and hope to benefit from in the future”

A: Please elaborate the changes we are seeing? Still an average 3rd division side with two new investors! Can you honestly say that after a whole year of protesting the “PROTESTERS” have made a difference?

“As for you feeling embarrassed, there's honestly no need. Just don't concern yourself with it - we're easy to ignore - unless you are Derrick Brown of course. He's tried to ignore it, but he can't”

A: I can assure you that I am not Derek Brown however I am embarrassed that a very small percentage of East Fife supporters (30 on the mound last Sat) have chosen to continue with this protest. There is an assumption that the minority (protesters) portray the views of the East Fife support? WRONG, 485 in the ground on Saturday. I m confident that once the team start to get the results on the park the crowds will return. If however we fail to get the results on the park once again the crowds will diminish. This has nothing to do with Mr Derek Brown.

“Protesting isn't for everyone - I accept that. But I am not willing to sit back and watch Derrick Brown ruin MY club. Protests may change, the mound tatic won't go on forever, but until Brown has gone from MY club, I must decline your request to end my part in the protest”

A: If Derek decides to walk away from the board but continues to turn up every other Saturday as a supporter would you anticipate a continued protest? Or will you not be happy until he has sold his house a moved to the opposite side of this planet?

It's "Derrick"

Mr anti protest u talk shi*e and brown uur pal iz a fann*

What a fanny you are, Mr Anti-Protest!!! At least you gave me a good laugh.

If you think East Fife are "an average 3rd Division side" you must be a bigger fool than you at first appeared. We have been one of the worst teams in the league for the past two years.

485 in the ground on Saturday - christ, break open the bubbly, happy days are here again! but it makes sense that you take heart from this statistic. if you are stupid enough to believe that the club does not need a shake-up, then you are dumb enough to think that everyone in the ground agrees with you

i also got a good laugh at your use of "I can assure you". I could swear I've heard that phrase before somewhere. can anyone remind me?

but you saved the biggest laugh of all for the end. what a pro you are. "If Derek decides to walk away from the board but continues to turn up every other Saturday as a supporter would you anticipate a continued protest?" There is more chance of Robinson Fucking Crusoe turning up at Bayview than there is of derrick brown either paying money to see a football match or showing any interest in east fife other than for his own personal gain

Quite simple answer really a lot of the fans from previous seasons are neither on the mound or in the ground.If people feel strongly enough about an issue they have a right to protest, if people feel strongly enough that everthing is well so be it. However, as a protestor glad I'm not contributing to Deeks wages.

“Anti-protest, why do you refer to it as a "so called protest"? The protest is the genuine article - there's nothing so called about it. It has had a massive effect in transforming the club from where it was 12 months ago, to where it is now. The protest has brought about much of the changes that we are seeing now and hope to benefit from in the future”

"A: Please elaborate the changes we are seeing? Still an average 3rd division side with two new investors! Can you honestly say that after a whole year of protesting the “PROTESTERS” have made a difference?"

Once again please elaborate what changes have been made as a result of the rotests??????????????????????????.

There has been progress albeit not quite the finished article.

Had there been no protests Derrick would still be Chairman, and yes I know before you say it he is still a director but that will fail to be very soon, it is progress none the less.

The Supporters Trust will now have the required number of shares to put a rep on the board and have been told by Collumbine that this will happen. That is progress.

We have a Chairman with money and who has brought in a decent manager and decent players. That is progress.

Had no protests taken place none of the above would have happened.

FACT.

Once again please elaborate what changes have been made as a result of the rotests??????????????????????????.

1) The Trust has shares.
2) Derrick's control is not what it was. 12 months ago it was a one man show - now the board is split and Derrick is clinging on.
3) New manager
4) New investors, with new money, for new players

Also note - last year the protests gave something for many fans to hold on to. If a co-ordinated protest was not on offer, how many loyal fans would have walked away for good?

Sick Parrot, still no waving!?!?!?

Right-turn, from Quensferry Road onto Drum-brae......

I give up!

I_10 and Sick Parrot are both wrong, he did not ask for a result of the "protests", he asked what changes had been made as a result of the "rotests"

As we have not yet arranged any "rotests", we must be honest and admit our lack of success in this department.

Over 100 women have tested my ro and have found it to be the best for over fifty years.

In reality I doubt if the mound and other protests have made a jot of difference. From talk that I have overheard the thing that caused all of the recent action by the money men and then the Board was the involvement of the Trust and its offer to buy a substantial shareholding. That brought other big players into the game and rocked the boat so much that DB fell out.

He may still be waving, but he's drowning just the same.

If anyone needs to wonder what progress has been made in a year you only have to look at Saturday's performance against Stenhousemuir compared to a year ago when we were ripped to shreds.
Had we still had the same boardroom ambition now you would have similar standard players and another seson of discontent. Last year Derrick was club supremo, now he is the office boy.
The protestors can be rightfully proud in the changes they have helped bring about.
I think however it may be the right time to move on. I don't know how much more can be achieved by a continued protest on the mound. There were a lot of kent faces from old days back at the stadium on Saturday, who must have decided that the changes over the close season were sufficient for them to return. There is an understandable viewpoint about not giving any money to Brown, but a continued protest from inside the stadium could be more effective. It looks like there will be some good football to enjoy at Bayview.
There are other issues to be persued,- Supporters' Trust Representation on the board, full investigation of the Twigg shareholding, and an SFA and police investigation into the alleged Sun voucher scam.

did someone get a season ticket for their birthday!?!?!

The last sentence in Ritchie's post is a concern. The Trust will be pushing their own case for a seat on the Board, but what the **** has it got to do with us who owns what shares. It's a private company with precious little left private.

I'll tell you what - if I had money I'd think twice or three times before investing it in EFFC and opening myself up to scrutiny of this sort from people who would feel that my business was their's too. It's time to get back to doing what we know about and do best, just being football supporters.

I kind of agree with you Ritchie (apart from the last bit!). I have faith in all the behind the scenes tactics that are being pursued and the fact that the Supporters' Trust will have a say in the club much to the dismay of Derrick. He is now 'just a man on the board'. He has no control and I'm sure that he can be out manouvered as has been done thus far.

I want to support my club and I am sure that the money will now not be going into Deek's pension fund. He will not be there for long enough (especially since the age of retirement has risen!).

It is however, up to each individual.

Whilst a director I lost almost every debate/vote on the issue of shares for the Trust and their representation on the board by 5-1.This invariably drew the comment from Derrick that I must be "having some difficulty with my position"

If the trust are now to be given shares and a directorship then I would suggest that Derrick,Betty, Andy,Davie and Kenny should have "great difficulty with their position"

Do you honestly think that the actions of the protesters attracted W.Gray as an investor? Mr Brown has been a friend on Mr Gray for a long time and it was his persuasion that attracted Wullie Gray. Not only has Derek stabilized the financial situation at East Fife but has attracted the new investors that are currently involved in the club. The protesters have only put doubts into any potential investors.

Protesters please for the sake of the club STOP your militant actions that caused the downfall of this area in the past (Miners Strike/RDL strike) people like you feel the need to be involved in the politics of the club and really have no idea in the running of a business. Sit down and watch football.

"Anti Protest", I think if you had half a clue as to what was actually going on in the supporters movements you wouldn't need to make a total arse of yourself by posting such utter garbage.

It seems that you are so far off the mark that it cannot be anything else other than a wind up, and a pretty pish one too.

You are an arsehole.

Derek Brown has no idea of running a business,ruining a business YES!he treats the club like his own wee train set and he is the FAT CONTROLLER,So anti protest get a life,and until you know what your talking about SHUT THE FUCK UP FOR FUCKS SAKE!!!!"

Arse hole?????????????????????????????? I have asked on numerous occasions WHAT HAS THE PROTEST ACHIEVED? Still no answer.

I will say it again the 30 protesters who believe their view is the view of all the supports is way of the mark.

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP 485 FANS THINK YOU ARE WRONG.

AS I SAID STILL NO ANSWERS. THE SILENCE IS SCARY.

anti-pesto 485 fans???? whats that all about????? East Fife have a weeeee bitty more than that altho they dont show themselves while twats like Broon the Balloon is about.

Think u'll find out soon enuf what the protests have accomplished. Yes sports fans I am now looking forward to a less brown outlook after a conversation with someone who doesnt know a mouse from a mouse

LONEFIFER??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

What the F@#k was that

anti protest where did you get 485 fans I TELL YOU THIS as your ex-great leader said it lies all lies,The fife have not had 485 supporters for more than a year at bayview,Maybe counting the away support but not home fans you will be lucky if you we have had 200,so like I said ARSEHOLE SHUT THE FUCK UP UNTIL YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT!!!

WHAT WE HAVE ACHIEVED IS THAT WE HAVE GOT RID OF BROWN AS CHAIRMAN,AND JUST LIKE THE MINERS 22YEARS AGO WE DO NOT FORGET WHO ARE THE SCABS.

Having achieved step one of our plan, the removal of Brown as Chairman.

Step two of his removal altogether from the Club is the next objective.

Whether this is best achieved by protesting inside or outside of the ground is up to each individual. My personal feelings are still that we get a statement from the Club about the ultimate aim of removing Brown and monitor the situation but return to the ground in the meantime.

But don't forget the stay aways and those who have lost all interest in the Club.

We should be getting at least 800-1000 into each home game and that's what we must all work together now to achieve.

485 is a pathetic attendance for East Fife on the first game of the season.

Auntie Protest,

I've answered your question - see post Aug8. I guess it hasn't sunk in, so lets see if you can arrive at the answer yourself -
Do you agree that Browns power is not what it was 12 months ago?

If so, what do you think has brought this about?

Penny dropped yet?

When the mound protest ends, other protests will still continue. The stay aways will stay away. The trust will fight for its aims and individual will still persue their aims. Why will people do this? - because they want a better East Fife FC.

Can I ask you one further question - why are YOU against the protests? What harm does it do YOU? If you think the protests harm the club, the note this: "the protests are a reaction to a problem - that problem is derrick brown." [igor - wellsey inn, sometime in june]

Hey "Eye on the Ball" - if you are so concerned about privacy why don't you just hide up your own backside? You don't have far to go.

East Fife might be registered as a private company but they have a very PUBLIC obligation to declare who has a shareholding in the club - just like every other private company in the land.

I would not have thought that this would be a concern at East Fife, where an application has been made for PUBLIC funding to pay for a private facility.

well?

EX 10-1

"I've answered your question - see post Aug8. I guess it hasn't sunk in, so lets see if you can arrive at the answer yourself"

1) The Trust has shares. (And? Current status: poor team. Low crowds 485!)

2) Derrick's control is not what it was. 12 months ago it was a one man show - now the board is split and Derrick is clinging on. (And you think this will be good for the club for the future? We have to wait and see)

3) New manager (And you put this down to the protest?? FOOL)

4) New investors, with new money, for new players (AS ABOVE, WHAT A FOOL)

do you agree that Browns power is not what it was 12 months ago? (YES, and I am sure we WILL pay for this)

Penny dropped yet? (Yes, you have no idea what we are about to face due to your protests, Mr Gray will show his true colours in the very near future.)

When the mound protest ends, other protests will still continue. The stay aways will stay away. The trust will fight for its aims and individual will still persue their aims. Why will people do this? - because they want a better East Fife FC.

(The protest has been running for over a year and you think we are in a better position now??)

Also note - last year the protests gave something for many fans to hold on to. If a co-ordinated protest was not on offer, how many loyal fans would have walked away for good? (I SAY, THE PROTESTERS ACTUALLY HAVE DRIVEN A LARGE PERSENTAGE OF THE SUPPORTERS AWAY)

I said before I thought you were on the wind up, now I know for sure

AP - Sid Collumbine has been quoted in the press that his bid was as a result of the Trusts' share bid. This share bid was as a result of the protests and general feeling of supporters.

That is all I am going to contribute to this thread now. Cheerie-bye.

Anti Protest

E-mail me with your phone no. and we can have a chat if you so wish.

Dave,

What could you possibly say during "our chat" that can not be said on this forum? I still do not see any evidence of a change for the better since this pathetic protest started. The protesters are a complete embarrassment to the club.

END OF.

I think you know who and what the embarrassment to the club is.

The protest is maybe a bit rough around the edges at times but has been completely successful thus far and should be totally commended.

1. Derrick Brown removed as chairman. Done.
2. Derrick Brown removed from club. Not yet done.

Protests continue with the support of people who truly love the club.

It's completely obvious that you are in or around Brown or the board or you wouldn't keep persisting with this shite on the one and only fans'/protestors' message board to try and break the protests.

END OF.

Fanny.

"Protests continue with the support of people who truly love the club".

Well done, this is the reason why 485 "TRUE" supporters have no time for the protesters. If any individual disagrees with the views of the protesters they should F@#k off! Typical a hand full of militant people who want to be known for the downfall of a once great club.

I will continue to say it, because a very small minority of people dislike Derek Brown does not mean that you are right. 30 ON THE MOUND & 485 IN THE GROUND WHO IS RIGHT?

'I will continue to say it, because a very small minority of people dislike Derek Brown does not mean that you are right'

YOU ARE HAVING A F'KING LAFF. YOU HAVE TO BE RELATED TO HIM, EITHER THAT OR YOU ARE HIM OR YOU HAVE BEEN LIVING IN A F'KING BUBBLE MADE BY DEEK. SO...........

GTF.

I didn't know by going into the stadium you cannot dislike Derrick Brown.
"If you enter the stadium you MUST like Derrick Brown! If you don't like him and decide to side with 'them' over on that hill, DON'T COME BACK"
Missed that sign outside Bayview last week

The guy is on the wind up, don't give him the pleasure of replying.

The Guy?????????????????????????

Anti Protest

Sorry.The last thing I want to be is an embarrassment to you.

Cheers Dave, see you in the ground next week.

Why don't you meet us for a pint?

Me and the rest of the 485 crowd go to the Caley for a pre match drink (Gin & Tonic), can i invite you all?

Will 100 women, the wider Levenmouth community and the ex-chairman be there with you?

If you don't drink in the lounge you are not a real supporter.

As always, maybe after our drink “we” can all march to the ground in support of the new found harmony amongst the supporters?

You're no marching past the front of the stadium, it widnae be safe.

Anti Protest

You are happy with East Fife the way it is. A hopeless, pointless little anachronism of Scottish football that has no intention of bettering itself. Ambitions are rock bottom, and are being fulfilled. The team is the worst we've ever seen, and the past three years have been spent watching the poorest football ever produced in the club's name.

You might find this hard to believe, but other people who support the same team as you would like to be entertained by East Fife. They are not entertained or even excited. They have not been for some time. And under Derrick Brown, they never would be. Fact.

If the prospect of change frightens you, try to take deep breaths. No-one will force you to join in if the club is to be transformed into a success. There will always be a stone for you to crawl under.

I'm not a protestor. Never have been, never will be. But for the better of the club, I would be quite happy if you never set foot in Bayview again.

An East Fife fan

Have I ever stated that I support Derek Brown? Anti Protest means ANTI PROTEST? I disagree with the protest as like you I want my club to improve and climb to the top. However we cannot achieve this if we deprive the club of £300.00 per week due to the boycott. I think the protesters need to get back into the ground and continue the cause through mediation with the new directors.

Silent Witness, How do you plan to improve the current situation?

Continue to starve the club of £300.00 a week until the club are forced (as a business - listening to a portion of it's most die-hard fans and customers) into punting the root of the problem.

Then everyone goes back to pumping their money back into the club and singing songs inside the stadium as part of the 600-700+ crowd having been rejoined by the disgruntled stay-aways.

I am exiled and am unable to take part in the protests etc but even if I was back in Fife I would personally support a complete boycott but I don't think that's popular with the fans. A boycott, not because I'm not a real fan, but because I LOVE my club which I'll one day return to see and give a shit about it's future.

It's up to the club. Pride or business-sense ? In the meantime I fully support the protests and protestors. They are the real fans and are not doing it for a laugh.

This mess wasn't created by the protesters it was created by the communication and PR, or lack of it, by Derrick Brown.

You're obviously fighting a losing battle posting on here so why bother continuing to post ? The last post above settles your argument.

Piss off.

"Anti Protest", being such a great supporter that you are, will have noticed down at Durham that 99.9% of our fans who travelled down there were "protesters", where were the 485 "real supporters" then??

If you had opened your eyes you would have seen me at Durham.

That's not what you were asked AP. It was assumed that you WERE there if you are such a big fan. What we want to know is where were the 484 others?

Your over-use of the 485 figure does not work. Even if the figure is to be believed, take a look at last season's attendance figures.

First home league match of 2005/06 season: 454, with protests having started during the pre-season friendlies. Average attendance from January onwards: under 250.

If you want to talk figures, don't use a one-off crowd from the first day of the season that was boosted by the away support and by traditional new season optimism.

You have claimed that Derrick Brown has stabilised the club's finances. Can you explain this please, when last season's figures show that Derrick Brown's stewardship cost the club approximately £2,500 per home match for the second half of last season?

Auntie Protest - You asked what the protest has achieved - have my last 2 posts now answered that for you? You might not like what they have achieved, and time will tell on whether the achivements have improved or worsened our situation, but at least acknowledge that they have achieved something.

As for the protest driving fans away - come-on, do you really think so? The last home came, how many of the 485 inside the ground left thinking, "damn, I ain't coming back till those pesky protestors are away"??? Of all the stay-aways I know, the sole reason for their absence is Derrick Brown.

A few months ago we had a couple of wide boys on this form that went under the title of Little & Large, they put the same spin on things as you do aunty protest.

If you want to come up with a wind-up then at least make it original, you knumb-skull.

Don't forget The Mole too, until he was unearthed...

who was the mole then?

Drysdale of RRFC

Ya must ha seen the mole on the wee mound behind the goals?...........

Also rumoured ta see him swiggin pints in the Bar before games an havin a wee chat wi the regulars in Blazers.

Did we ever find out who Little and Large were?
Apart from them being a couple of fa###es.

Absolute pish. Never heard of this guy from Raith. I'm not saying who I am because I have current close links with the inner circle of EFFC but I despise what they are planning. If I say who I am I shall lose access to that info (and a lot more besides) so give it a rest, will you, and concentrate on the real issues!!

Mr Drysdale, everytime your name is mentioned you try and cover your tracks by making diversion posts, how come it just took me to mention your name and back you come with more of your pish. Make it obvious why don't you??

The two blokes in their 20s that sit at the sea wall end are Little and Large They were mound bound last season but oor Deek has sweet talked them back into supporting the team from the stand

Theyve sold their souls for 40 pieces of silver