Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Tonights game - 3-1 St Johnstone

A decent performance, especially in the First Half and late in the game. Created a number of decent chances but didn't hit target often enough. Found it strange that Baikie put Ritchie who is not the most mobile up front on his own after Crabbe went off with what appeared to be a hamstring problem. O'Reilly had a great chance with his first touch but couldn't hit target. Blackadder has shown that his delivery at set pieces will cause major problems for teams this season. His corner caused problems for Saints and went in off either O'Reilly, Smart or a Saints defender.
Who says match Officials are getting worse ? The Assistant flagged Ritchie offside from our own goal kick, but even worse was that the Referee gave the free kick to Saints, so obviously both of them don't know that you can't be offside from a goal kick - Bizarre !!

Re: Tonights game - 3-1 St Johnstone

Think it was smart that scored it, seen a few players congrates him

We held our own tonight, but we didn't take our chances and got punished for it in that wee silly spell when the three goals went in.

Overall though I think the players did well. We still look weak up front though, hopefully O'Rielly is the answer, he looks a quality player.

St Johnstone: Halliwell, Lawrie, Stanic, McManus, Rutkiewicz, Dyer (Young 46), Mensing, Hardie, Milne (MacDonald 46), Scotland (Jackson 79), Sheerin.
Subs Not Used: Stevenson, Cuthbert.

Goals: Scotland 60, Hardie 62, Scotland 70.

East Fife: Iain Ross, Smith, Linton, Jonathan Smart, McGowan, Courts, Blackadder, Jablonski, Crabbe (Ritchie 28), Martin (O'Reilly 67), Gordon (Craig Smart 67).
Subs Not Used: Fortune, Dodds.

Booked: Blackadder.

Goal: O'Reilly 76.

Att: 1,222

Ref: J Underhill

Why is Fortune not getting a game, anyone know ?

I don't know for certain why he isn't getting a game but I get the impression that he is going to be used sparingly. Last season, we had no choice but to put him on because we had no depth to our squad. I know that Baikie rates him as a player so I think he will be saved to spring into action to help us win the league!

First half and the last 20 minutes of the 2nd showed that we should be a tough team to beat this season. Heres hoping that this will be the case!

Tonight's first-half performance was the best I've seen for at least three years from the Fife.
In the second-half St Johnstone began to take control.
I thought Jason Scotland was the difference between the two sides, comfortable with the ball at his feet, given a free role to create chances behind the forward line.
Very pleased with the way things are shaping up under Baikie but no room for complacency come Saturday...

Our goal was an O.G

From Courier

East Fife impress, but Saints find goal touch

St Johnstone 3 East Fife 1

ST JOHNSTONE advanced to the second round of the CIS Cup at McDiarmid Park last night with a scoreline that flattered the first division club, writes Eric Nicolson.

A hard-working East Fife matched the Perth men for long spells of the tie, but three second-half goals in quick succession—two from Jason Scotland and one from Martin Hardie—ensured there would be no cup shock.

Saints boss Owen Coyle reflected, “In the first half we were lacking a spark and were poor, but for half an hour in the second half we were more like ourselves and we took our goals well.”

East Fife more then held their own in the first half and created the best chances.

Five minutes into the match a slick four-man move through midfield presented John Martin with an opportunity which he blazed over.

Saints couldn’t claim a clear-cut opening in first period, with a Paul Sheerin deflected volley from the edge of the box the nearest they came to a goal.

Midway through the half, the Methil side twice came close within three minutes.

A Jonathon Smart header was tipped over the bar by Bryn Halliwell, then Kevin Gordon dragged a shot past the near post after he latched on to a miss-hit clearance from the Perth keeper.

The Saints upped the tempo after the restart and were rewarded for their improvement with two goals in two minutes around the hour mark.

The deadlock was broken by Scotland after substitute Derek Young split the East Fife defence with a perfectly-weighted through ball.

The game was effectively put beyond the reach of the part-timers with a looping Hardie back post header from Peter MacDonald’s cross. And on 70 minutes the Saints were 3-0 ahead when Scotland rounded keeper Iain Ross to net.

The Fifers grabbed a consolation on 76 minutes when Craig O’Reilly converted a Ryan Blackadder corner.

Attendance—1222.

St Johnstone—Halliwell, Lawrie, Stanic, McManus, Rutkiewicz, Dyer (Young 45), Mensing, Hardie, Milne (MacDonald 45), Scotland (Jackson 79), Sheering. Subs not used—Stevenson, Cuthbert.

East Fife—Ross, Smith, Linton, Smart, McGowan, Courts, Blackadder, Jablonski, Crabbe (Ritchie 2 , Martin (O’Reilly 67), Gordon (Smart 67). Subs not used—Fortune, Dodds.

Referee—John Underhill.

Not the hamstrings again ZEBRA.
You have been blaming them since you were 15 year old. hee heee
Zebra is Scott Crabbe (my cousin)
My aim is to get everyone calling him Zebra as pay back for year upon years of practical jokes.
He was sooo chuffed at Raith that they called him Crabbo.
He at last had lost the Zebra nickname.
Ooops, sorry Zebra.
That’s for the transvestite magazines ordered to my house

Unfortunately there are no pictures of tonights game even though I had the camera gear with me, ROCKSTEADY in there infinate wisdom thought I might crack somebodies head open with 2k work of camera....where do they get them?

Security Firms at Football grounds...numpties to a man I tell you.

That's unbelievable Brian.

I got my bag searched but it was by the police. They weren't interested in my camera. Probably because they could sense it was a piece of shit that's auto-focus appears to be fucked!

Got a couple of pics but nowt special, but thye'll be up with the match report later tonight, after the Hearts game.

Hopefully will get a better camera in time for Saturday!

Better late than never, but that's last night's match report (and some crappy pics) up in the NEWS section HERE now.

Man of the people, Matthew McLean, puzzled many with why he hasn't been snapped up by a TV or radio commentary team for his insightful match thoughts as he remarked "it's not good now like".

Spoke to John Martin after the game as he limped out of the stadium, following the dirty tackle he recieved in the fisrt half, up untill then John was a real threat, but after the tackle John struggled to play on in constant pain, hope you recover for Saturdays game John.

I didn't take the camera as I'd heard they were one of these awkward clubs with silly rules and didn't allow photos to be taken during games. Can't understand why.
At Tannadice a few years back I was told to put my camera away or it would be confiscated by a steward, who bustled his way along the row I was sitting in, annoying everyone he had to squeeze past. When I asked him why, he just said "Dunno, it's just a rule. They picked you up on the CCTV and sent me down to deal with the problem".
I had a similar experience at Kilmarnock, where they allowed me to take photos before the game but not during it.