Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
O/T: And Another Thing #1

We've now got a regular weekly column being written for our politics/current affairs section of BROKEN DOWN HALO.

Called, AND ANOTHER THING, it's a weekly social comment written by Faither. #1 can be read HERE.

This week's topic is Buses.

Maybe not the best week to launch it since we've got another debate going in another thread but here we go anyway and hopefully it'll get a response.

The writer, Faither, would like your views to be posted in the weekly thread that will follow the article launch and also welcomes any suggestions for future topics.

Re: O/T: And Another Thing #1

Just my tuppence worth here, the public transport system in Scotland is a joke.

It's like that of a Third World country.

I would gladly not take my car into Edinburgh if I knew I could get a quick bus or train back to Fife every 10 or 15 minutes. Not have to wait around for an hour if I miss one.

The age of some of the train carriages that run the Fife line is worrying to say the least.

The cost is also crazy.

My wife got a bus from Dunfermline to Cowdenbeath a few weeks back and it was £1.70!

The buses in Italy when I was there in May were excellent. Clean, quick, cheap and tourist friendly. We had no idea where to get off to where we were going but the electronic signs in the bus let us know.

If the government and councils want us to go green then they need to back it up with a decent transport network and quickly.

"My wife got a bus from Dunfermline to Cowdenbeath a few weeks back and it was £1.70!"

You're right it's expensive for a bus but, on the other hand, it's pretty cheap for a time machine.

She travels CLUB class.

As i work for First Glasgow, The buses over here are

Starting to get up to scratch, With the introduction

of the Disability Discrimination Act all buses must

comply with the regulations by 2015 so buses are being

phased out and new high spec buses are being

introduced with on board tv equipment and a LED

display informing passengers of the next stop. Bus

stops also have digital displays in them detailing

what bus will next arrive.

Funny you should mention that. A few weeks ago I saw a bloke in Dundee using a laptop to programme a bus shelter.

World's gone mad.

Brilliant!

On the same menu:
"The Venezualan Bolivarian Revolution"

and

"Buses"