Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
My statement on the protest, and my apologies to the supporters

Following a number of discussions with fellow supporters and also with the chair and vice chair of our club, we have decided to call for an end to the current match day protests for the time being. I think we would all agree that this tactic was very successful in achieving the first step, removing Brown from the chair, but a different strategy is needed for the second stage which will see him removed from the club altogether.

As has been said all along though, we cannot end the protests simply by announcing an end. Supporters are free to do as they wish, to choose when and where to spend their money, if supporters remain unconvinced that Derrick Brown will remain at the club for any length of time they will not come back. This is an urgent problem that needs to be addressed by the club. It is not only the money of the 40 or 50 fans on the mound that the club has lost out in, but the hundreds who stay away altogether.

Only be clearing the initial hurdle of removing the ex-chairman, and by uniting with the supporters and their organisations to conduct patient and tireless work in the local community, can the club begin the long task of winning back layers of fans who had previously seen enough, but also new fans who need to be attracted to the club.

When we spoke with Erik Samuelson, the AFC Wimbledon director who visited early in the month, he said that being a community club was so much harder in London because of the competition they faced from so many other teams. He commented on how lucky we were to have such a large area which was represented by a single senior club, our club. It is time to stamp the mark of East Fife FC over this area once again.

But again, before this work can begin we need to close the last chapter, however soon that might be is now in the hands of the board, the fans wait in anticipation for this decision to be made, and for the green light to be given to re-build this great, proud and famous club.

Re: My statement on the protest, and my apologies to the supporters

The above is a statement that I was planning to put on the forum tonight after the meeting with the trust board, myself and Dave Marshall, Willie Gray and Sid Collumbine. I have still posted the statement but with some afterthoughts.

Although we have had assurances that DB is on his way out, sooner rather than later, there was no attendance or apologies this evening from Willie Gray or Sid Collumbine. Needless to say, this concerned everyone present, although we are unaware of any reasons why this might have happened and would not like to speculate until we know the full story.

Tomorrow’s East Fife Mail will run a story similar to the above statement, this was based on the assumption that things would go smoothly tonight.

This has been a massive mistake on my part, and I accept full responsibility and apologise to the fans for this confusing mess. I am now undecided myself what to do tomorrow evening and would like to hear an explanation from Sid or Willie before making a decision.

Once again though, I apologise wholeheartedly to the supporters for this mess, hopefully we will find out some information tomorrow that will shed a bit of light on the situation.

Igor
I would suggest we get an explanation for the non-attendance before suspending the boycott of home games.
That is my personal opinion. We are in a strong position at the moment, let's use this to our advantage...

I am on the mound the object was to rid of brown, and rid of brown it must be,if any of us go back brown has won,and it has been a waste of time energy,from all,from those who started it,the march,the whole scenario.

The silent, diminished "protests" of this season are an insult to the energetic, loud and well attended protests of last season though Kenny. Anyone can see it was all heading down the tubes.

Here, here. Someone else needs to take over the mantlr after all the good work done.

Iwas heading down the mound not the tubes,

So what you are saying here, igor, is that you prepared this statement in anticipation of a positive outcome to a meeting with Gray & Collumbine. This statement will appear in the local press tomorrow (and will doubtless be picked up by other publications the following day).

However the meeting did not take place. Gray and Collumbine simply did not turn up and did not send apologies.

So your statement is entirely premature.

Well, fair play to you for coming on here and admitting you've made an arse of it. We all make mistakes.

However NOW will you believe me when I say that Gray in particular will continue to treat you like something he just scraped off his shoe.

You MUST now eat humble pie and stand at the turnstiles and tell everyone to forget what's in the paper. The protests MUST go on.

The move to call an end to the protests, which were dwindling, is a move shared by 95% of those protesting, the fans I spoke to last Saturday on the mound, last Tuesday at Perth and Saturday at Cliftonhill were pretty much all saying the same thing, so this was not the mistake itself.

The mistake was the timing, which has backfired and caused confusion.

Remember, you cannot have 5 or 6 people on the mound and call it a protest, as was said already that would be an insult to what was achieved last season.

As far as my involvement goes now, that's pretty much it. I only have a week or so before I’m moving. If people (not just 5 or 6, but 40-50) genuinely want to see a protest continue then one supporter must be prepared to announce it, not just one here but to the local press and to the other supporters. They must be prepared to communicate and also to come up with fresh ideas.

If that can happen then great, but if not then people shouldn't be frightened to re-think the strategy. When something doesn't work anymore change is needed.

The protesting fans, those who have went back, those who want to and those who don't, need to make a decision now, and someone needs to take a lead.

That’s my advice anyway, like I say, my involvement is finished.

Last nights' non- attendance and the way forward now needs careful thought.Let's hope that there is good reason why Willie did not appear.When the facts are clear then decisions can be made.Personally I was very angry last night and need time to assess the implications.

Get back in the ground to support the Team on the park and re-think your strategy to continue your protest to finally rid the Club of Brown.

It will be pissing it doon tonight

"Your" strategy? Surely that should read "Our strategy"...

I won't be back to the mound or the ground. All that has gone on before has been a complete waste of time and effort. Channel 4 racing beckons for me on Saturday afternoons, at least there, only the horses let you down. Derrick and his poodles Davy and Kenny will be unable to avoid sniggering at the thought of everybody trooping back in like sheep. So if you like
being humiliated carry on, can see Derrick doing another stint as chairman again.

When we return to the ground it will be with our heads held high. Anybody "sniggering" should look themselves in the mirror.
The protesters might not have achieved one of main aims, the complete removal of the stain that is Derrick Brown, but we have stood up for East Fife in a time of crisis.
Brown is no longer in charge and that in itself is progress...

I'm not sure if my opinion on this will be of any value as I am not allways available to protest but allways have done when I could. I think returning to the ground is the wrong strategy(although it appears almost inevitable now). It seems to me that we are being soft soaped by the new chairman and a year down the line I wonder if anything will really have changed regarding Derrick Brown(of course I hope i'm wrong about this.)

Whatever direction people now decide to take, it is my hope that we (supporters)will continue to display our displeasure at whats happened to our club.

When deciding what you must do, don't forget the way we have all been treated the past 2 years!

DOWN WITH BROWN!!!!! 'MON THE FIFE!

After reading Igor's post and others I took some time to think about the implications of them. Hopefully I thought that I would calmly be able to put forward some constructive thoughts but I just got angrier.

I am angry for

1. The new "regime" did not attend a meeting to which I presume they agreed to and did not even have the decency to give apologies. This should make others wonder at their attitude towards the fans. At least Brown had the guts to set himself up for albeit orchestrated questioning.

2. Is it less than 3 weeks since a meeting of the fans attended in considerable numbers voted almost unanimously to continue the protest. Now the leaders of the protest are calling for it to be halted. What price democracy?

3. You don't give something for nothing in negotiations and this is what we are doing here. There has been nothing given here except for fine words about Brown's leaving "soon" and a seat on the board at "some time in the future" for a representative of the fans. Words don't pay the rent!

For some reason I do not understand, Brown's removal is going to be difficult. However I accept that this may be the case. But While he is there his influence will still be felt.

As for a seat on the board, this could be done tomorrow. All it needs is a board meeting to confirm the appointment as per the clubs articles. If the new "regime" cannot put this forward and achieve it it will show something of their intentions and/or power to do things. If they put it forward and cannot push it through then you may draw your own conclusions that Brown still has the power. If they do not put it forward, what price their fine words?

Whatever you may think I feel that a seat on the board should be the least price we should ask before calling off the protest.

another one, points well made.

However, the current protest was born out of supporter's sentiment, and it will end out of supporter's sentiment. I think sentiments have changed for 3 reasons:

1) we have a winning team (or the makings of one) which people want to get back to supporting.
2) it's been a long hard fight, not everyone has the stamina to continue.
3) there are noises that brown is going anyway.

While the absolute aim has not been achieved, these factors i think are enough to swing sentiment away from a continued mound protest - maybe not for all, but enough for bulk of those protesting.

Willie & Sid (I hope) are no fools. Their actions (or in-actions) will be closley watched. Protests can re-erupt at anytime, as i'm sure they'll be aware.

For me, I want to see:
1) A fans forum with the new board - oulining what they plan for our club and how they'll fix the problems of the past
2) The trust's 100K investment accepted plus a seat on the board for the Trust.

For sure, these things should have been done before the protesters made any concession. But we are where we are, and I hope those who care about the future of our club will still persue a better East Fife.

A seat on the Board for a fans representative, or a Trust reprrsentative, seems to me more difficult to secure that some people in the club are suggesting. The last time I looked at the Articles of East Fife Football Club Ltd they specified that a person is only eligible to be appointed as a director if he/she owns 2000 or more shares in his/her own right. I can't see how even the Trust could be given a seat on the Board without a change in the Articles. That needs an EGM or AGM.

I do not think a board appointed director needs the 2,000 shares. However there are two ways round this

1. The additional 900? shares required by the Trust could be allocated to them and paid at a later date when the money is available.

2. D marshall already has the 2,000 shares and could be appointed on the strength of these and he could be confirmed as the fans representative.

All these ideas I put forward can only be achieved with the positive approach by all concerned not least the board members or at least those who have put themselves forward as wishing the Trust to be on the board. But maybe you are like me you do not see these "fine words" individuals putting their money where their mouths are.

It can be done but needs pressure applied as it is so easy to let things drag on. Do not give up yet, Brown may still be there but with board representation at least the fans will know some of what is going on and have some influence in the clubs future.

Another one - you are completely wrong about board appointed directors.

And the chance of Dave Marshall being acceptable to the Board is, I fear, zilch. Too much loose talk about Board business after he resigned. Anyway, would he want this bed of nails, to have his every thought and action disssected on this forum. Probably not!!

The articles state clearly (at least the last published at companies house in 1998) that any director appointed at a general meeting must have a minimum of 500 shares. We are now led to believe that this has increased to 2000 shares. However this restriction was not specified for appointment by the board. Again according to the 1998 articles. Do not see that this will have been changed as it a common practice for boards to co-op directors who have special talents or whatever.

As for DM's re-appointment you may be correct. But I am only trying to show how things may be achieved. You do not know till you try. It all depends how serious we want fan representation. The way I see it we are just drifting along hoping that the powers that be, whoever that is, will appoint a fans' representative if and when the trust obtains the necessary shares.

I say again a fans' representative can be appointed in a short space of time, even next week, if all concerned want it. The problem I see is that not all want it and we need to get a greater determination to achieve it.

It is now a considerable time since the first approaches to get involved in the clubs future and let's face it we are no further forward except that the Trust has 1100 shares. The initial protests were against Brown and to obtain share purchase. But there was a bigger picture than getting rid of Brown. It was to to safeguard the future of the club and to do this it was thought that board membership was the way forward. Now that the Brown faction has diminished there should be no hinderance to this objective. That is if you believe the words of the "new regime" that they will allow a Trust member on the board.

Mind you although they speak the words I do not believe they are willing to give anything to the fans. If I am wrong let them prove it by pulling out the stops and appoint a fans' representative. I'll bet like some on here there will be all sort of excuses why they cannot do it. But if they are in control they can.

The question is how strongly do you feel about fans on board and are you willing to continue the protest to achieve it. Hell! I have also wanted to go back to be able to see the games properly but I am concerned that if we give up now we will be continually put off even if it is in a nicer way than DB did.

These views are personal and may not be taken as the views of the wider Levenmouth community as I expect to be shouted down at every opportunity.

Most of this is sad reading I for one will not be going in all of you who do have let brown win,I just hope some others feel the same,If it is the end of the protest I will just go shopping with becky when we are at home,do you think that being on board will make a difference Dave Marshall thought it would looked what happened .I WILL NOT GIVE INTO BROWN,LONG LIVE THE PROTEST

If Brown being de-throned and kicked out the club shortly constitutes Brown winning then what would it take for him to lose?

Do you really think 20 people on the mound can be considered a "protest"?

He might be de-throned as you put it,HE is still there,and in control

Is he fuck in control Zak. But keep going chum and continue to make an arse of yourself. The comedy value of your rants are worth logging on for at any time.

Oh, and was it lonely out there on the mound tonight? Maybe you had deeper in the brown stuff with you for company so it might have been a bit cosier. Was the Mole there? Now there's a leader of men if ever there was one - get behind him and he'll lead you to the promised land (whatver that is - he never really comes out with an alternative does he?).

The job is partly done, but the protests as they are have run their course. See you on Saturday inside the ground.

Broon has no power in the club now Kenny but i do agree with you to stay away or stay on the mound until the wee b*****d is finaly kicked out.
and he WILL be kicked out soon.

Would like to say that Kennys "cuddling" partner on the mound, was not Deeper in the brown stuff."Deeper" could not make the game last night because off his "pulling" powers.My source also adds, that he was doing abit ov "tossing" as well.The mind boggles!!!!!

You won't see me home bird in or out of the ground Saturday or any other time I'm finished, gone, past tense. You can carry on and support Broon and his cohorts if you like, and secure his "pension" for him. I'll be sitting cosy with a pint of Guinness watching the racing on channel 4 while you freeze your nuts off, if you've got any!!

I'm sorry but i fail to see how and where the protests
were succussful

I thought the aim was to get derrick brown
disassociated with East Fife Football Club(hasn't
happened).

Granted he is no longer Chairman but in my eyes that
has nothing to do with the protesters efforts but
everything to do with Gray/Collumbines money. If
these individuals hand't pumped their money into
Bayview East Fife would still be under the leadership
of Brown so correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't that
make the protest a glorious failure and we are being urged to
get back into the ground because the trust
will ultimately be losing money(share prices).

This is just me thinking out loud but please enlighten
me as to how a march on Leven high street attracted
two business men to invest
Nothing to do with 10 Million property value???

You are talking a load of pish Craig.

Was just about to say the same thing, Stewart.

Once again, for the slow one's.

The protests gave birth to the trust shares bid.

The trust shares bid gave birth to the Collumbine bid.

The Collumbine bid kept Willie Gray at the club.

Capiche?

Another one - your reading of the Articles would also show you that any director co-opted to the Board needs to have his/her appointment approved at the next AGM. At that point the 2000 share restriction would certainly kick in.

Result - there is no way within the current Articles that a supporters rep or Trust rep can be appointed to the Board unless he/she has 2000 shares in their own right in which case they are there as individuals. And Dave Marshall won't be acceptable, for reasons of his difficulty with confidentiality.

Still no mention of the 10 property value then???

Meant 10 Million

10 million is an absurd figure.

Craig: "Granted he is no longer Chairman but in my eyes that
has nothing to do with the protesters efforts but
everything to do with Gray/Collumbines money."

One day the full story will be told but there is absolutely no doubt that the actions taken by the Trust combined with the protest so ably organised by Igor and Steve and the others were the key factor in the recent changes.

The Trust made an offer of serious investment which alerted others to the fact that the club could be run better and triggered other interest. Be under no illusion - at the moment the Trust could not buy out the existing shareholders - and probably wouldn't want to since that would be putting money into their hands rather than the club's. This offer is of course conditional on DB playing no part in th running of the club.

The protestors and the trust kept the issue in the public eye and that has undoubtedly affect the alignment of major shareholdrs, including the removal from Brown of the control of the Twigg shares - although this is taking some time because it is complex. To be quite blunt, if it hadn't been for the above actions and pressure Brown would still be in complete control.

Let's not forget that as recently as the last supporters' meeting he held, Brown was able to justify himself by saying he had the full support of the main shareholders. He cannot make that claim now and that is a huge change. How many people a year ago would have expected that to be the case.

In short, there's been no single action by a single group that has led to these changes. What we've had is the Trust and protestors by their actions - both public and in private - creating an environment where drastic change became possible.

The legal complexities of unraveling the various share agreements mean that it will be the club AGM when DB is finally out - unless he chooses to go before then. Until that time we can continue to laugh at him at every opportuntiy since he can't stand that - he can ignore abuse but not mockery! So frequent chants of "Uou're not chairman anymore " etc

Of and there's one other thing we can do. Sign up for the Trust standing order to help our share investment fund so that when the new share issue takes place in a few months time we are able to exploit it fully.

Still talking pish Craig. £10 Million!!!!! Yeh Right.

Toni,

Why is 10 million such an absurd amount??
This is a substantial amount of land and in the hands
of a property developer could easily accomodate 100 luxury apartments each costing around 100k. I know it's a bit wierd using luxury apartment and Methil in the same sentence but it's only a stones throw from St Andrews so properties would be snapped up, The only stumbling block in this whole episode is the demolition of the power station which could be quite
a large one as from what i've heard it houses alot of asbestos.

so does 10 million still sound absurd???

Even if it did come to selling the land and moving on, would anyone shed a tear for New Bayview?

Don't think anyone would shed a tear over the loss of New Bayview but just airing my views on the possible future of East Fife.
Gray and Collumbine aren't Fife fans they're business men and anyone who thinks they have invested in East Fife for their love of the game are so far of the mark. These men like all other business men are out to line their pockets and that won't be done by the running of a third division side. They know of the
potential of the land where the stand is situated and as i said in an earlier post their only stumbling block is the power station. Once that goes i
personally think East Fife will be relocated to where i don't know but is Warout Stadium in Glenrothes still standing??

Eugene

Reasoned post as usual.
Thank you.

However.....I stand with Stevie Gates and others. No money to EFFC until our original demand is met. It's amazing how money focuses the objectives, whether you are a businessman or not.

OK Mike.

I see your point of view but disagree completely!

Mike, I'm with you. Spot on, sir.

Craig, don't give up the day job.

I'd support a move to Glenothes. I never wanted to leave Bayview Park but we did. Now that we're in that soul-less, cold, wee stadium (already full of bad memories) I could care less about leaving it.

Moving to Glenrothes wouldn't put off the remaining 300 die-hards and could hopefully generate much more new fans for decades to come. Advertising and sponsorship would go through the roof in Glenrothes too.

A nice wee black and gold stadium in or near Glenrothes with some terracing would be great.

Moving to Glenrothes in my opinion would not be the right move. It may attract some Glenrothes locals but could alienate local Methil, Leven, East Neuk people. Having said that I agree with the sentiments regarding the so called F2F Bayview Stadium cold souless and devoid of any atmosphere.Redevelopment or redeployment within levenmouth would be my preference.

What a ridiculous sum, 10 million my arse. Probably nearest this ground would come to hosting housing would be as a caravan park. Access across ground maintenance of sea wall, asbestos built power station, contaminated land, poor view of oil slicks. I will take care next time I,m at the ground not to be trampled underfoot by the hoardes of developers.
Christ even the £4 million blog by our deek was a load of bullshit.
To our intrepid speculators on here stick to monopoly you will do less damage

...just to add, Glenrothes has much better transport links (dual carriageways, Markinch Railway ststion (Kirkcaldy 10 minutes away) and a small airport even). Even better for attracting new and visiting fans/sponsors etc.

I respect we are a Levenmouth club and should be fiercely proud of it (that is after all why East Fife are my(our) team) but I don't think we would lose the little fans we've got left. The alienation has already been set into motion. I have relatives (who I could easily dis-own) Leven born and bred ex-Bayview regulars who now have season tickets for Parkhead and Ibrox (in the same family, I know it's hard to believe) so that about sums it up. I#ve walked down Leven High Street with my black and gold scarf and had several shouts of "(patronising laugh) why are you going to watch that shite - gave up on them years ago". I was fucking raging. How ridiculous is that?!

Times have changed.