Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
The Way Forward.......

I believe that tactics have to change. The mound protest is dwindling and I agree that whilst it has had an enormous impact the last season, we need to move on.

IMO, the best way to fight now is from within. Therefor, I think it is important that supporters now throw their weight behind the Trust and assist in choosing their representative for the club board. This IS going to happen. It will be a voice for the fans and a way to be part of the decision making.

The Trust are going to seek an urgent meeting with the club and ask for answers to some important and (as yet) unanswered questions. Whilst every effort will be made to keep things transparent, there are obviously some matters that will only be discussed with members at a scheduled meeting and not posted on this board.

I can promise our members that everything possible is being done to take the club forward and ensure that the fans are represented fairly on the board of the football club. Please put your trust in the Trust. We will make mistakes along the way and not everybody will agree with what is being done but the Trust is a democratic organisation and if members are unhappy or have firm ideas of how things are to be done, then they MUST let us know about. The AGM will be soon so please show your support.

Re: The Way Forward.......

Agree with most of that Kerriann.
I'm really concerned about the no show last night and am in a bit of a quandry at the minute.
I'll certainly be heading for Bayview tonight and was hoping to be inside the ground but I'm now not sure.
I need to speak to the other protesters I think...

I completely agree with Kerriann’s post.

Firstly, it appears there was a fair bit of confusion surrounding lastnights meeting, Willie apologised and hopes to meet the protesters tonight, probably before the game, I will confirm any info as soon as I get it.

I think a few conclusions drawn after lastnight would be that Willie Gray is trying to fool the fans, before making a decision like this I would ask people to consider the fact that after stage managing entire events, acting out scenes and going to the incredible lengths that would be necessary to carry out such a task, would Willie then un-do all that hard work by deliberately not turning up to a meeting?

Don’t get me wrong, I am far from happy at the way things are, and I stress the need yet again for the club to drastically shake up its communications with the supporters, but getting ourselves wrapped up in conspiracy theories will do no good in the long run.

The big mistake I made lastnight was one of timing. The call to end the protests is no mistake in my opinion, lets face it we have not had a protest since the last game of the season up at Montrose!

Lots of hard work went into last seasons protests, and a lot was achieved, but this avenue can only take you so far, its capabilities are exhausted, there is no protest now, just a small and quiet group of people watching the game on the mound.

If you want to save East Fife FC then you’ll need a little more than that I’m afraid.

My advice to supporters is to throw their full weight behind the trust, support it, build it, take it forward and use it. Trusts are vehicles for change, and that change is desperately needed at Bayview.

Derrick Brown remains at our club, as loathed and as poisonous as ever, plotting, scheming, causing trouble. If anyone is under the impression now that being on the mound, in the current atmosphere, small numbers and lack of enthusiasm, will make any inroads into getting rid of this little bastard now then I would again have to point to using better methods.

If you are fighting for a cause and situations change, you won’t succeed unless you can adapt to this change. This is what the fans need to do, adapt and keep the struggle going on the fronts that matter.

I leave for London at the end of the month, the easy option would have been to walk away without making any kind of statement on the protest, or giving a vague “protests must continue” message. If I believed that this would take us forward then I’d have done that, but its time to step up the struggle in other ways.

If a small group of fans try to keep the protest, or the ghost of the protest going then that is their choice and nobody can tell them what to do. But you are all good people who have achieved a lot, and your hard work is needed elsewhere.

If there are any meetings going on tonight, I would be very interested in understanding a bit more about the turmoil of the club the last few as I have been exiled in England.
Please advise on time and place.
Cheers

The Trust is the way forward I would agree but be careful who you get into bed with as you may catch something you do not want. Although it is a learning curve there is an obvious weakness in the Trust leadership and to state that some things can only be discussed at meetings and not in a democratic forum smacks of kow towing to the board. If the Trust is democratic why should it not be open and above board with its discussions?. Is it just a case of bending in the wind to collect any crumbs that are offered to boost the ego? Eugene has often stated he was a bit of a rebel and went on protest marches has that spirit been lost? is he now just and old softy? I think the Trust gives in to easily.

I think you have the wrong end of the stick cassanova.

The earlier post says that things will be discussed with Trust members, and not on this website.

Confidentiality isn't always underhand - it can be advantageous to play with your cards close to your chest.
Discussions at club board meetings are confidential. If the trust want a representative on the club board, they will have to be bound by that confidentiality. These are the rules - plain & simple - nothing to do with weak leadership.