Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Protest

I just cannot believe that we have given up after all this effort. Every time we pay to get into the ground, buy a pint in the bar and spend money in the shop we are contributing to Brown's remuneration.

Stevie Gates what say you?
Am I standing alone here?

Re: Protest

No Mike,yer no alone.I'll no be back till he's gone completlly,but i'll also no be back on the mound ether.Hopefully Broon o'll go without fuss before xmas,but........
I think the powers that be still think that if they put a good side out on the park,all will be forgotten.Come xmas they'll prob say,"he'll be gone by the end o the season".Time,as they say, is a good healer.Well it dizn'y wash wi me.
A very long "pre season" for me i'm afraid!!.

You are not alone in this position. I will noy return to any game. The fans have let thenselves be conned and will live to regret the decision. The aim/intention was "broon out". Did the "chicken not lead with this comment?", or has/is "chicken now the word?.
True everyone to there own, but a decision was made and now after a small change they pack up. NOW BY PAYING AT THE GATE YOU PAY broon.

I can totally understand and respect peoples decision to still stay away from the ground and as I've said before Derrick getting a paid positon at the club sticks in my craw.But as I've also said the protesters have achieved much which has been well documented.

I cannot understand why Stevenson and MacKay continue to suport Brown and had they along with Hain and Hamilton got their arses in gear a long time ago change may have been quicker coming.

I personally feel that it is right to go back and support the team from within. It doesn't mean we are entirely happy with things but it gives a chance for a bit of harmony for a change.

You might not be on your own Mike but I don't think there will be many with you judging by Wednesday night.

Brown initially made various promises at one point re shares etc - and we all know the result of that - the new regime has apparently made a load of promises - and I think we will probably end up with the same result as with Brown - talk is cheap - and other than moving Brown to the side instead of out - talk is all there has been.

Hi Mike,you going to the game today I am not going into the ground today,if I go at all,I am thinking of not going back to home games,and definitely not going back into the ground unil brown is gone completely, there was only five of us on the mound on wed,but that was still £50 that brown did not get,THE PROTEST CONTINUES just hope there is more than five today,give me a call if you are going today.

Mike, I totally understand what you are saying, but the situation has changed and we needed to adapt to that.

I've said it many times, the last real protest we had was at Montrose last season. 25-30 people standing silently on the mound is not a protest, as every week went by there was always one or two who went back, and another one or two who never came back to the mound or ground.

You need to look at where this was going to take us.

We didn't get this far with apathy, and apathy won't finish the job. If things were left as they were most of our boycotting would be done at home, or shopping, or watching a junior game, then what? Once people are out of the habit of coming to Bayview you will have lost most of them for good. Is this what we want?

The way forward in my opinion, and this is shared by a great majority of people who protested, is to be in and around the place, backing the team and hammering Brown at every opportunity. There was much fresh enthusiasm on Wednesday and I fully expect that to carry on Today, and until Brown is gone.

Down with Brown!

Igor I see where you are coming from but I believe we are all missing the point here and therefore the danger of losing senior football at our club - the ego that is Brown was ruining the club - he has been moved sideways from chairman to a paid job at the club - a very small success - with his ego why is he still at the club? - why did he not take his money and run? - is there a bigger pay day on the horizon? - SPL2 will happen - do the new regime have a business plan to be eligible to join this league - or will they expect there big payday when the clubs assets are sold off because we have not been able to join - SPL2 has probably been discussed by club board members for the past couple of years so they have known it was on the cards - so where better to sink a few quid into a club for a couple of seasons knowing that when the new league is formed they can trot out " we cant afford to join" and the assts will be sold at a big fat profit - friends you keep close but enemies you keep closer - I am all for dialogue with the new regime but dont lets lose sight of the fact that they have bought shares on which they expect to make a profit and that is there first priority - they are not East-Fife fans irrespective of what they may trumpet - the only true fans are the supporters and we need to ensure that the criteria is in place to ensure the continuation of senior football at the club - and we need to ensure action is being taken now before it is to late - Brown made promises - and the new regime have made promises - so far as I can see there is not a lot of difference - and with more and more publicity about SPL2 the danger to the clubs future grows.

Can people just not boycott refreshments and merchandise and protest within the ground?

Take banners and flags inside?

Hi Mike nice to hear from you I thought you might have deserted us. I agree that the end of the protest is a sad day as we have not yet achieved our primary purpose ie Brown Out. However at the meeting the Sid said this could not be achieved before Christmas but would definately happen (120% certain was said). We have to believe their assurances as I cannot see that they would want him hovering around. There is a possibility however that despite their assurances and desires this will not happen. There's many a slip twixt etc. The reasons given were a bit airy fairy but they asked us to trust them on this and I felt they would do their utmost to achieve the demise of Brown. Of course I could be wrong for whatever reason and in fact they may be unable to achieve this objective.

During the course of the things that have been happening over the last 2 years I have thought that what Brown has done to the club others could do the same and worse. To combat this the Trust has set up an objective to buy shares and obtain board representation for the fans. This is the way to go and I was disappointed that there was no assurance on this. In fact Sid said that under the present rules there was no possiblity of this happening. I did think that Sid in his inital announcements of takeover he had stated he would welcome a Trust representative but I could not find the quote. Now if the new regime are truly responsive to the welfare of the club they should be pushing for this. We do not want more protests if we can help it and this would be one way of nipping any problems in the bud. ie. changing thing from within as Kerrian says.

There is a further meeting with the chairman and vice chairman with the supporter's club on Tues at 7.30 in the lounge at New Bayview and I suggest those who are concerned to clarify things for themselves should attend (even and especially those who think the protest should continue). I am sure the supporter's club will not mind if you are not a member. There is one thing you should keep in mind is what happened last year when Brown partly agreed to the Trust's shares. You will have to decide if you can trust the new boys more than Brown.

A healthy debate guys, thank you.

Zak
I have been invited to go watch a junior game this afternoon so I'll not see you, but if I return to Bayview in the future it will be on the mound until our original demands are met. This has nothing to do with Brown as a man , it's just the wasted opportunity at a club with a huge history and fanatical (currently small) support.

Igor, you keep stating "down with brown" but now you are actually backing him by paying a part/ percentage of his wage.

Derrick Brown hasn't recieved a penny in wages from East Fife FC since being ousted as chairman.

Cod help us-- Prove it, since you think you know so much?.

"Igor, you keep stating "down with brown" but now you are actually backing him by paying a part/ percentage of his wage."

You are right.

Every month I get paid, the taxman takes a healthy slice which is used for a number of things, including things like public sector workers wages, this includes our ex-chairman, who works at Fife house.

In order to avoid paying his wages i'd need to go and work outside Fife, somewhere like London

I have not always agreed with Mike Flett but I am 100% in agreement with him here (maybe that should be 120%). For me, the situation is even more black and white than before.

Before, we were witholding money that we knew Brown would not spend in the club's best interests.

Now, part of that money would be going directly into his pocket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO WAY WILL I PAY A RED CENT TO EFFC WHILE DERRICK BROWN IS AT THE CLUB.

Mike

"if I return"

Is this goodbye?

Some very good points here,but i recone our club might be "rotten to the core".Even more rotten than any ov us really imagine.All this to in and throwing,promisies from the board,Broon hinging around etc.I applaud the time and effert Eug,Kerriann and others have put in to try to "suss things out within the club",however i fear that even a team ov lawyers would take months to sort out the "bowels"ov the club.Take this post how you like but along this side ov Fife,to many people have said the same.

You're maybe right but I'm prepared to take the risk you're not.

I think there is a chance of the club moving on and that the Trust involvment is the way to ensure supporters are part of this.

There are exciting ideas, particularly from the Fife Fans for the Future which if they come to reality will make our club a truly exciting example of a community club AND succesful on the field.

Sometimes in life we need to put faith in what we hope for and ignore the immediate obstacles. I'm willing to do - and of course face the mockery should in six months time it turn out that WG and SC etc were simply abusing our support.

Mike Flett u know my feelings as do many others and I will not be back till Brown fucks off completely from New Bayview

Eugene what Trust involvement? Apart from shares it appears the trust has as little say in the running of the club. As was the case with DM and he was on the board.

Hope your right un i'm wrong Eug.But what i meant by the "bowels ov the club",iz the shairholdings saga,proxies etc.Might be alot ov dirt,dirty washing,embaresment.But then theres always a "cover up" all the same.Truth is,short term,unless Hain ,Mckay,Hamilton fuck off,Broon will prob get the votes,if its a one man one vote,to stop anything Syd wants to push through,and that lot disagree with.Bruce Blacks been not saying much lately.Was his involvement just another "red herring,bait jangling" propaganda crap to applease the protesters.

I think it is fair to say that all of the posters on here want to see East Fife survive and flourish, yes?

Individuals therefore need to decide for themselves how best to ensure that this happens. Stay away or pay at the gate?

My opinion is that there is more chance of East Fife surviving if there is more money taken at the gate. The more supporters in the ground, then the harder it would be for unscrupulous shareholders to argue that the club should be wound up as is being suggested by some. In fact, it might make the club more attractive to potential investors in the future.

I also think that Derrick Browns ego is not the only large ego in all of this. There are some people(fans), who have made bold statements in the past, but do not possess the humility to be able to change their stance for the potential good of the club, stating more and more reasons for sticking by their guns. According to their views, there is no-one that can be trusted!

A wee bit of humility and giving people a chance to put things right can't be that hard to stomach, surely? Even the Iraelis and Hezbollah have managed to do that this week!

the odd away game will do me fine for now.

Well Mike I hope to see you soon on the mound, it was a bit lonely today a couple of jakies came on the mound,but they didn't even know who was playing,an East Fife supporter who hasn't been at a game since East Stirling away last season when he was removed, but an enjoyable game all the same,good weather and a great result,keep it up fife we can win this league
BROWN OUT

Why does everyone keep saying 5 people on the mound
doesn't make a protest?? ??

All it takes is for one person to oppose and stand
fast outside the ground to make a protest.

I have on word for all those "Protestors" that think
all is now well to head back into the ground and that
word YELLOW.

Stop being fooled by individuals comments, actions are
what speak volumes, Brown is still in asscosiation
with East Fife so the protest isn't yet complete.

GET TO FU*K BROON

Anybody going to Elgin?

"I have on word for all those "Protestors" that think
all is now well to head back into the ground and that
word YELLOW."

Great stuff Craig, where were you today?

Mike, The slogan at the start of the protest was Brown out,Brown is still not out!
LET THE PROTEST CONTINUE..........
Down with Brown till the bitter end!

Igor,
I have previously posted that my protest will be done
with non-attendance as i aint travelling 150 miles
to stand on a dirt hill, And i stand by my decision
to call the faltering "protestors" who have
re-entered the ground YELLOW. I joined in with the
protest half-way through the season when i moved back
from Northern Ireland and to my knowledge the whole
idea was to rid East Fife Football Club of the cancer
that is Derrick Brown. Since this hasn't happened the
protest isn't complete so protestors re-entering the
ground are simply surrendering to Gray and Collumbines
money.

I'm sure you'll make yourself many friends with that attack on the many fans who have fought for your club in the last year Craig. It's a good job some people bothered to stand on a dirt hill, certainly we did much more than just standing on the mound though.

If it wasn't for those YELLOW people Deek would still be chairman, Moffat would still be manager and we'd probably still be looking for our first point this season.

So again, great stuff Craig, your comments are very much welcome.

There have been many sacrifices made by a lot of people in order to see the changes that are happening at Bayview.

Just because you Craig, have made your sacrifice in your way, does not entitle you to criticise others.

If they feel within themselves they are doing the right thing now, by going back into stadium, then let them do that.
Swearing etc, gives you no credibility BTW.

Sorry Rabhaw

I can't se where i swore in my last post? ?

Also Igor,
I did make the journey to stand on the "dirt hill"
last season and go to a number of away games in
support of the protest. I just feel that the fans
are giving up on the protest due to there being a
glimmer of hope for a successful team this season
and Gray/Collumbines empty promises about the removal
of Brown. I don't understand why last seasons protestors have just decided to
stop and go in quietly as if nothing had happened
when they have reached the final hurdle??

It's been very quiet on the mound these past few weeks anyway, we are making more noise in the stadium than we had been on the mound for a long time.

Agreed Igor.

Being in the stadium is having more impact I think, plus we can give the players the support they deserve.

Again I repeat myself but I do not criticise people for continuing the protests however people like you Craig are doing the cause no favours by calling people cowards because they have returned to Bayview.
Have a long hard think abouit what has been achieved and it has been well documented here for your ease.

Zak stood on the mpund today on his own, save for(in his words) a couple of jakies. Now that to me is no longer a protest.

Craig, it is obvious you are frustrated with events. You said yourself that you won't travel 150 miles to stand on the mound. I wouldn't either.
You obviously don't mind travelling the 150 miles to see your team normally, so why don't you do that and at the same time join others in embarassing Brown from within?

Mike,

I understand where you are coming from and have to
admit that my words of choice may have been a bit
harsh but what i still don't understand is when you
say i am doing the cause no favours??? Is there still
a cause because from the outside looking in just now
it seems that everyone is happy going to the ground
and paying browns wages. So from that angle he has
won to a degree as he is still wearing his blazer at
East Fife Football Club and i think he will do for
atleast a season or two to come.

Rabhaw,

I would happily make the journey week in week out
(work permitting) to watch the Fife but cannot bring
myself to do this as long as Derrick Brown is a part
of the staff

Craig.

You are making Brown the centrepoint of everything East Fife!

You would also be helping to pay the players wages. Why this obsession with Brown? Ignore him.

You want to see your team. Don't let Brown be a reason for not doing that.

Some comments on the protest/non-protest.

I did not hear much chanting today but maybe if I sat in the ex-chairman's seat I may have.

Well done to Zak for continuing the protest as he feels like many, until Brown has gone the protest should go on. Some went back today, I wonder how many just stayed away.

Lets face it the only thing we really have achieved ( apart from possibly the end of Moffatt) is the removal of Brown as chairman. We have had an assurance that Brown will be gone from the board at Christmas. Maybe so maybe no. A comment made today was that if he still is on the board at in January it is back to the mound. Then again maybe so maybe no.
What will happen if he is removed from the board but still has the paid position as sec/treasurer?

There are still no steps taken to obtain a fan's board member and in my view there will be none.

Personally I agreed that we had achieved as much as we could in respect of Brown's removal and that we should accept Sid and Willie's assurance at face value.
However I feel a bit let down as I am unsure that the new boys have the future of East Fife at heart and I am a bit on the fence at present. I went to the match today and must say I enjoyed it. Mind you the weather was good and we won. The team also showed promise of a good season to come.

Where does that leave me? Maybe after the meeting on Tues I will make up my mind to continue supporting the team 'till Christmas and wait to see what happens. The problem is we have been let down in the past by stopping protesting only to have a kick in the teeth for a Christmas present. I did not agree with a halt to the protest last year and feel that the continued pressure by a greater number of fans might have achieved the shares and even the removal of Brown and we would not be in the position we are now.

Judge for youselves at the Tues meeting if it is still on!

The more people watching East Fife, the better. Imagine if there were at least 800 watching the games every week in this league? It could happen if we put the Brown episode behind us.
If the crowds were around 800 and dropped dramatically because the board do not give the trust their seat on the board for example, surely the impact of that would be greater than if the crowds are still only around the 400-500 mark as now.

I agree but the board do not necesarily think that way. They think that if we can put off the protest it will fizzle away. Brown did it last year and look what happened. Is this the same?

Whatever you think the club is in a transition stage and the next few months will see where the club wants to go. Unfortunately this is not down to the fans as it is the shareholders that will decide!