Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
And Another Thing #2 : Scottish Education

Faither's second social comment feature is now up on BROKEN DOWN HALO.

It's on the Scottish Education system and can be read HERE and comment on it below

Re: And Another Thing #2 : Scottish Education

A lot of truths in what he says!

I liked primary, hated secondary and quite enjoyed technical college!

Many teachers are too full of themselves. If you ask one what he does for a living (before you know of course), most of them answer back - I'm a teacher, usually looking at you straight in the eye for approval.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good teachers, but there are a lot of chancers too.

My Primary School experience was mixed, dependant on which teacher you were allocated for the year.
If you were lucky you got one that you respected and made learning interesting and enjoyable. On the other hand you could land up with some right weirdos; one who cuddled and kissed their class pets, ones whose preferred forms of punishment were to roll up your trouser leg and whack your thigh. There was even one who would give the kid on the receiving end of bad behaviour or bullying the belt.
We also had a lollipop man who hated children.
In short, it was a lottery; organised chaos at best, anarchy at worst.
In complete contrast, my two benefited from an excellent primary school education...

I'd like to write "And Another Thing #3 : Cones at Roundabouts", but i'll leave it to someone with a bit more experience

My recollections were Parkhill PS quite good, apart from an Auld Craw called Mrs Bennett who seemed to hate children.

Buckhaven HS bit mixed, prob cos we were a generally well behaved bunch at Parkhill whereas some of the BHS intake were from other schools that maybe werent quite so well behaved

I feel short-changed by the education system, it's designed to keep people in their places and sap their beliefs from them.

Just look at the TV schedules, there are no programmes that cater for people who want to learn, it's just brainless mulch, this is what the people want because they don't understand that anything better can exist.

As Eugene said; low expectations...

Primary was OK (I remember that all the young female teachers had big boobies..), but high school was a complete waste of time! (Apart from becoming a member of the Stinky Pinky Club!!)