Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
A Proposal to all East Fife fans

To all East Fife fans,

It is clear that the future of East Fife depends on three critical issues:

1.) The removal of Derrick Brown.
2.) The fans remaining unified.
3.) Full support for the team and the new chairman.

I would like to make a proposal to all East Fife fans which should resolve all three of these issues: remove Brown, maintain unity among the fans, and give support to the team.

I propose that for the entirety of the month of September full support be given to the Club and to Willie Gray. That all Fife fans go to Bayview in full force and full voice. That all boycotts and mound protest cease for the entire month.

At the beginning of September, let a group representing the various organizations of the fans (the Supporters Trust, Supporters Club, East Fife Ladies, AFTN, etc.) meet with Willie Gray to inform him of the fans’ return to Bayview for the month and that if he wishes to make those changes permanent he must remove Brown before the end of the month.

If Brown is not removed by the end of the month, fans can continue their protests and boycotts as before.

Why is this proposal important and why should East Fife fans be involved?

1.) East Fife will only get weaker if protests continue to stretch out, both on and off the pitch. Fan support in imperative to the Club’s survival. The above issues must be resolved as soon as possible for the good of the Club and everyone involved with and in it.

2.) East Fife fans will have nothing to lose by supporting the Club for one month. If Brown is removed there is no need to tell you what you have gain. If at the end of the month he is not and protests continue, the protests will be all the more effective because the new chairman will have been given a taste of that the Club will be like once Brown is gone. Like a starving man given a signal bit of food, his hunger will only increase and he will be all the more eager to get fans back to Bayview. In addition East Fife fans can still continue to protest Brown from inside the stadium.

3.) It will allow East Fife fans to present a united front both in support of the Club and against Derrick Brown. Fans can know their return to Bayview is not a capitation but a tactical move to rid the Club of Brown for all time. Any action made by the fans must be united or it will fail. Only by presenting a united front can the fans and the Club move forward into the future. The fans united will never be defeated!

4.) It is only for one month. Any fans who are skeptical, jaded, or suspicious can put it to the test and will have only lost one month they have not been satisfied, which is far better then the alterative of doing nothing. Action must be taken and soon. If at the end of September you feel this action didn’t work, feel free to try another.

C’mon the Fife!

Re: A Proposal to all East Fife fans

You seem to infer that it is the fans that have caused the problems and that they should be the people who make the amends - its like saying to someone pay £500 to use this car for a month but it may or may not work but you cant get your money back - the fans did not cause the problems! - a business has to create an offer which the customer wants to purchase - so far all there has only been is one or two vague promises - and that is not enough.

Kona Fifer

I wouldn't disagree with anything you've mentioned apart from one crucial element: your deadline of one month.

The removal of Brown may ultimately not be able to happen until the club AGM.

This is because it is tied up with shareholding changes which quite simply may take several weeks.

It follows therefore that giving WG a only month has failure built in.

No-one - including I may add WG - likes this delay but there's no point in creating an ultimatum that we know may be impossible for the other party to meet.

The necessary share transfer to remove Derrick Brown can be completed within 48 hours BUT ONLY IF THE REAL OWNER OF THE SHARES WANTS THIS TO HAPPEN. The agm is three or four months away. Anyone who really believes that it takes three or four months to transfer shares is being taken for a ride. And anyone who uses this myth as a way of persuading others to fall in line is, unwittingly or otherwise, taking others for a ride.

I think we all know that the shareholding situation is not straightforward - it's not as simple as you suggest.

The parties either have to agree to the transfer or where one is reluctant, legal steps have to be taken and these take time.

What possible motivation would either SC or WG have for prolonging Brown's presence at the club??

By attending last week's meeting and the meeting last night I am convinced that the new boys want to see the back of Brown as much if not more than us. Just think how difficult it is to work with such a devious, backstabbing person.

Unfortunately we have been assured that there are reasons (probably legal and you know how slow lawyers can be) why they cannot be certain that he will be removed before the AGM. It was stated several times they hope he can be gone before then but at least we have been given a deadline. So giving a month's grace would be counterproductive and just cause even greater unrest.

Whatever you say about my summary above I can assure you I have been a "bigger protestor than you". Been there since the start calling for mound protest before the AGM why all were bithely hoping for the AGM to provide the second tranche of shares. I also have questioned the motives of the takeover bid and the sugared words to placate us. So I do not say it lightly, if I thought continuing the protest would achieve Brown's removal quicker I would be one of the first to emphatically say so.

However I am of the opinion that oor Wullie will get rid of Brown and that he will be a down to earth man who can connect with the fans. Mind you there may be earthly langage as well. As for Sid I am still sceptical about his reasons and attitudes. But as far as the Brown out campaign goes it has been heard and steps are being taken to get rid of him as fast as possible. If it does not happen at the AGM then the repercussions for the club do not bear thinking about as they will have not only retained Dickhead they will have broken a clear promise to the fans and it will never be forgotten.

My sources tell me that the club's interests are not being put first here and that DB is being retained to protect the financial interests of the Twigg group with whom we know he has tangled legal dealings. Talk of the AGM is simply a smokescreen to buy them time to sort this out with him.

So far as I can see the only things an AGM could do are either get a 75% vote to remove him from the Board forcibly, or change the Articles to oblige him and his missus - and Mackay and Stevenson - to stand for re-election and be defeated.

But the reason you can tell this is all buying time is that this could be done within a month at an EGM. There was some talk of that but it all seems to have gone quiet now. That is what would be in the club's interests - an EGM, which could have been held already but on which WG and SC have stalled.

I'm tired of all this. So a challenge to them - an EGM on Monday 2 October. And if not, why not?

surprise surprise

Ear you are correct that the wait is to buy time. The new boys have said that they could not be certain to achieve Brown's removal at an EGM earlier but that they have all but guaranteed his removal at the AGM. It has also been said that the rules will be changed back to directors having to stand for re-election.

Now it boils down to the fact that do you trust them or not. In this case ie the removal of Brown I do and do not see a need for further protest until after the AGM. At least on the objective of Brown out.

I can see there may be further issues on the horizon which may make me and others think about the trust we are now giving but let's hope they will be settled more amicably.

Mike,

I am not saying that the fans are the problem. They did not start this mess, Brown did. If, however, the fans do not remain unified they will add to the problem, making it harder for the Club to move forward. The fans MUST remain unified.

Eugene,

If the deadline of one month is given it might cause the Club to expedite the removal of Brown. If it is not possible for them to do so (legal matters or whatever) then at least it is a signal is intent by all the fans and which the Club will not be able to ignore. After which you can go right back to what you are doing now.