Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Cheating??

Believable???

THE world's biggest online gambling site has launched a fraud probe after £30,000 was staked on a Forfar v Arbroath cup tie.

An internet posting by a punter named Billy Mountain on Betfair.com claimed the Championship Cup match on Tuesday last week was fixed.

The tipster urged gamblers to put "every penny you can get your hands on" on Forfar to lose the game - despite being favourites.

Third division Arbroath went on to claim a 3-1 away win against second division Forfar in a match watched by just 628 people.

At the kick-off Forfar were priced 5/4 with Arbroath 5/2.

More than £30,000 was put on after Mountain, who claimed to be from Dundee, said: "This is the first chance I have had to inform you of a no-risk bet. It is a meaningless cup and some teams make more out of betting than any money on offer for winning. My source is 100 per cent accurate. By 7pm I will have £20,000."

After full-time, one poster said to Billy Mountain: "You are holding your hands up to a crime."

Yesterday, a Betfair spokesman said: "We will launch an inquiry into this, tracing the account holder and speaking to him.

"I can say that the sum of £30,000 would not be the monies won and it's not unusual for our site to get a lot of betting on seemingly small matches."

Forfar manager George Shaw said: "It's rubbish - we go out to try to win every game we play.

"We have a young team, it was a chance to get into a quarter-final and it was a local derby."

ONE-SIDED..BUT FAIR

JOHN HOEY, who covered the match for the Sunday Mail's sister paper the Daily Record, said: "It was a pretty one-sided affair, that much is true, but Forfar were simply outgunned on the night. Arbroath are a good physical unit and they deserved the win.

"There were no sitters missed or goalie errors - it was a fair fight and Forfar lost it."

Re: Cheating??

Maybe just the case that someone knew Forfar would send out a young inexperienced side?

Also, if £30k was put on the smokies, they wouldnt be as long as 5/2 at kick off, surely.

Re: Cheating??

nothing wrong with doing someonesome company out of thousands though is there?

i would if i could get away wi it