Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
SHOP SOLD BOOZE TO CHILDREN

Bob Moreland in the paper.
From East Fife Mail

SHOP SOLD BOOZE TO CHILDREN
A LEVENMOUTH shop boss has been banned from selling alcohol for three months after failing a pioneering test scheme to combat under-age drinking.
In the first case of its kind in Scotland, Bob Moreland had his licence suspended after under-age youngsters were able to buy alcohol twice within three days at the Kirkland Mini Market in Methil's Kirkland Walk.
The youths were there as part of an under-cover test purchasing project, operated solely in Scotland by Fife Constabulary.
Under police supervision, 16-year-olds attempt to buy alcohol to see if store bosses are staying within the law.
And Central Fife's Divisional Licensing Board ruled on Friday that Mr Moreland was not a fit and proper person to hold a licence after test visits on June 30 and July 2, in which teenagers were sold alcohol without being asked their ages on either occasion.
Mr Moreland was said afterwards to be "deeply shocked" by the decision, although he supported the police campaign and accepted he'd had a fair hearing.
Mr Moreland's representative, Tom Johnston, had argued he was a responsible shopkeeper who had shown "due diligence" after the first failure by re-training his staff and posting extra notices around the shop.
Mr Johnston suggested there was little more he could have done without further guidance and he'd been "very badly let down by his staff".
The solution, said Mr Johnston, should be to convey under-age drinking messages more effectively – not "taking a wee man and giving him a kicking".
The Chief Constable's representative, Fife Council solicitor Susan Mackessack, said the scheme had featured much consultation with the licensed trade and received a lot of publicity.
The young people were not overdressed or made up to look older, she added.
"This is about addressing the issue of under-age people buying alcohol, the possible danger to them and the anti-social behaviour caused by alcohol abuse," said Mrs Mackessack.

Re: SHOP SOLD BOOZE TO CHILDREN

And your point, apart from muck-raking, is?

Looks like there may be a couple of shop assistant vacancies upcoming.

Angus fifer, would you be saying its muck raking if it was one of your family who bought the booze under age........i think not.
The shop keepers have a responsibility to the public, after all selling to under 16's is shocking never mind twice in 2 days.

Shopkeeper breaks law. Shopkeeper loses licence. Local newspaper reports incident in the same way it would report a court case or a burglary. Where is the muck-raking?

The muck raking is posting it on here. Purely to cause mischief.
No coincidence that the original poster is hiding behind a daft username...

There's plenty muck raking goes on around here, what makes this one any different, eh?

auld news in the courier at the weekend

The only connection between the original post and this football forum is,as i see it,Bob Moreland supplyed pies for the mounders.(i think anyway).If it had been any other shop it ,would not have gotten a mention.

Only real surprise is that the shop keeper was white?

"was white"

has the shopkeeper in question changed colour vince and what is the relevance of his skin colour

Putt, putt, ding, ding, very hot. A golden opportunity for my cousin I think.

Bob Moreland was a Director during the Julian Danskin period at the club

There's nae chance of Morrison's in Montrose being caught out by selling to under agers. They asked me for ID when buying a lottery ticket.......I'm 28 years old with enough gray hair to make me look 40!!

It wis nothing to do wi' yer age. They were just wondering if you were Johnny Mitchell.

shocking mr moreland sir it is usualy us pakies that get the blame, but not this blody time. shame on you sahib.